Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

androo posted:

First ep ruled, second also good, third was pretty boring.. not sure how to feel about this one. I think it makes sense as a quiet-before-the-storm sort of thing.

I liked all the Daniel stuff, the end was rough. Actually the manic-pixie-dream-girl thing is a little hard to believe.

Amantha was okay, she's getting over a lot of what kept her in arrested development by loving Meechum I guess.

Store poo poo was boring aside from Ted Jr aspect and that was still a little hard to read.

Lawyer poo poo got kinda cool at the end? But I'd almost rather we left the "what really happened" alone by now, unless it winds up being mind-blowing or something.

Idgi with the Tawney stuff so much and I'm not compelled to figure it out.

I don't even care about Tawney. She seems less compelling as a character and more like someone who can't make a decision about what she wants to do about anything.

Teddy is my second-favorite character and I really feel for him this season. Looks like his chances of reconciliation with Tawney are dwindling, he may not even have a job soon if his parents sell the tire shop, and he's just slowly unraveling which is interesting to watch and see how he handles it. I think he's attempting to do everything he can to make sure he has some kind of future.

I don't care for manic pixie dream girl and I'm of the belief that she maybe doesn't exist and none of the scenes with her are actually happening.

It ought to be interesting to see what happens with young prison boy roommate. Seems like they've introduced a new minor villain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Clayne Crawford was so fuckin good especially during that scene where he breaks down listening to Tawney's message

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
I haven't looked it up yet to confirm, but have you guys noticed who's playing Tawney's elderly patient?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No but thanks for being annoyingly obtuse about it

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Meh nevermind, I thought it was Clayne Crawford in makeup but apparently it just looks a lot like him.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha wtf

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

MrBuddyLee posted:

Meh nevermind, I thought it was Clayne Crawford in makeup but apparently it just looks a lot like him.

Never do drugs while viewing Rectify, kids

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
So is there straight up no TV show artsy and niche enough to steer away from the stalwart goon pastimes of face blindness and inexplicable overreading / plot twist theorising

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MrBuddyLee posted:

Two timelines confirmed!

I think the deal with Tawney's patient is that she's going to mercy kill him, or at least agonize about whether she should.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

precision posted:

Two timelines confirmed!

I think the deal with Tawney's patient is that she's going to mercy kill him, or at least agonize about whether she should.

no she isn't

this loving thread

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You don't think that's in the cards? Really? It's not a far out theory, it fits in with the exact kind of faith she's struggling with, along with the themes of the show. :shrug:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I gotta go with blue here. Tawney killing a dude, even out of kindness, just seems like way too far.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Oh no. Oh very much no.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

GimpChimp posted:

So is there straight up no TV show artsy and niche enough to steer away from the stalwart goon pastimes of face blindness and inexplicable overreading / plot twist theorising
Hah! You don't think it looks a little like Teddy in old person makeup?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

MrBuddyLee posted:

...no

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Maybe Teddy is so stressed out because not just the actor but the character is pulling some kind of Mrs. Doubtfire style prank by pretending to be a dying old man in order to trick Tawney into loving him again

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrBuddyLee posted:

.....so you're just trolling now, right?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I'm really saddened to see how little love this show has gotten. This thread was just made with no responses.

That may be for the best.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

MrBuddyLee posted:

What the gently caress

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now that's more fuckin' like it.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
God drat it, this show made me loving cry again. gently caress.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Now that's more fuckin' like it.

Agreed. Great episode. I was getting worried.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This episode helped undo a lot of the weak spots in this final season. Incredible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, that was easily one of the top 3 episodes of this entire show's run, except that I still don't much give a ding dong about the tire store plot and I resent that it's taking away from time that could be spent on the murder mystery, which HOLY poo poo just got a lot creepier (loving props to Bobby Dean and Clayne Crawford for absolutely killing it, and in Clayne's case he did it in BACK TO BACK scenes), or on Daniel hulking out because a dude jerked off in front of him.

Now I do think it's a little odd to backslide on Daniel's fear of intimacy, as in season 2 he was already out partying and loving and in season 3 there was him with Tawney. The scene of Revolutionary Girl Utena saying "I can hold you" felt completely unnecessary, because as I said we've been shown that he's not spooked about female sexuality much at all.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

Yeah, that was easily one of the top 3 episodes of this entire show's run, except that I still don't much give a ding dong about the tire store plot and I resent that it's taking away from time that could be spent on the murder mystery, which HOLY poo poo just got a lot creepier (loving props to Bobby Dean and Clayne Crawford for absolutely killing it, and in Clayne's case he did it in BACK TO BACK scenes), or on Daniel hulking out because a dude jerked off in front of him.

Now I do think it's a little odd to backslide on Daniel's fear of intimacy, as in season 2 he was already out partying and loving and in season 3 there was him with Tawney. The scene of Revolutionary Girl Utena saying "I can hold you" felt completely unnecessary, because as I said we've been shown that he's not spooked about female sexuality much at all.

The whole art girl plot just feels so cheesy and contrived. If they felt like they needed to give Daniel some type of romance/pseudo romance plot this season, I wish they just had it be with the female parolee from the first episode. At least that would've been an actual believable human being/character/relationship

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another remarkable episode (this season really shoulda been 6 eps too I guess)

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 1, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

savinhill posted:

The whole art girl plot just feels so cheesy and contrived

It feels like something straight out of an indie 90s film. That might be intentional, the show has definitely done nods to 90s culture before, but in this case whether intentional or not it's just not doing it for me either.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

"Made up your mind, Jeff? I can sell ya the Bridgestones for a cool $200 each, that's $10 off the regular."
"Um. Walmart has the same ones on sale, for $179."

"...my wife..."
"That's a helluva deal, Jeff, I'd take it."
"What.. ... ... I thought we could.. "
"Negotiate? Shiiiit, Jeff. I can't match that. Cause I can't sell ya another $100 in paper towels, Lucky Charms and women's stuff. See, that's their genius, right?"

"Well look, I believe in supportin' local merchants. I don't even wanna shop at those big box stores."
"Me neither, and I go to Sam's Club. I'm as big a hypocrite as you are, Jeff. poo poo, maybe worse."

"Nah. No way. I'm buyin' these tires right here. $200's a solid deal. My wife ain't the boss of me."

"If you say so."
"I do. I say so."

"Well thank ya Jeff. We're all real grateful."

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This season is turning it around and becoming Season 1 and Season 3 levels of amazing.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Teddy battling the air monster at the end was hilarious.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

Teddy battling the air monster at the end was hilarious.

eh, I thought that scene belonged on the cutting room floor.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

blue squares posted:

eh, I thought that scene belonged on the cutting room floor.

I think they were just trying to demonstrate again that even though he means well and isn't actively evil or anything he will gently caress up - much like his steak and break in and pass out adventures earlier that day.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't sure at first but AVC pointed out that it was a fun contrast to how "straight- shooting" had worked so well earlier in the episode.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I love this show but I find the soundtrack to be pretty bad and very intrusive and distracting.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I love this show but I find the soundtrack to be pretty bad and very intrusive and distracting.

It is fairly poorly mixed in places.

The music getting incredibly loud during a particularly touching scene at the end of this weeks episode was fairly glaring.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Daniel's "relationship" plot is still so terrible. Give me more scenes of him and his housemates instead of his no chemistry platonic romance

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

savinhill posted:

Daniel's "relationship" plot is still so terrible. Give me more scenes of him and his housemates instead of his no chemistry platonic romance

If it's platonic is it really a romance though?

Granted they are basically dating even though they both tell the other they aren't

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
counter-point: i would watch caitlin fitzgerald read the phone book.

good ep. i like how this season is about everyone finally moving on from the life daniel's imprisonment gave them. assuming the conviction will get overturned in the finale but he'll choose to go to ohio or some such thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Gonna miss this show a lot.

• Locked thread