Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Doctor Soup posted:

Well it isn't currently firing every gun it has so chances are it's not Ota.

That doesn't mean it's not Kanuka Clancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Pretty sure Kanuka is too much of a pro to robo kick construction workers. Most of the time anyway.

e: The gently caress am I saying, she's a New York cop. I take it all back.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Remember that time Kanuka stopped 9/11 from happening?

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

That's nothing, remember when Hiromi stopped Godzilla from happening?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Old thread but I'm surprised no one mentioned their biggest western fans, KMFDM

quote:

One of the two music videos for the song uses animations extensively from the Patlabor 1 manga movie.

I'm also curious as to what order to watch this show, is it both OVA's and then the series? Or OVA 1, series OVA 2 and were do the "Manga Movies" fit in?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

There's no set order but I'd recommend watching early days and then the first 2 movies

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Baka-nin posted:

I'm also curious as to what order to watch this show, is it both OVA's and then the series? Or OVA 1, series OVA 2 and were do the "Manga Movies" fit in?

There are three separate continuities:

1) the manga continuity, which is its own thing.
2) the TV continuity, which is the TV series + the 16-episode The New Files OVA, which is a direct sequel.
3) the Early Days continuity, which is the 7-episode Early Days OVA + the three films, plus Patlabor: The Next Generation if that ever gets more than one episode fansubbed. That said, there isn't actually much continuity between Early Days and the films, or between each film individually.

Pick one, read/watch everything in that continuity in the listed order, repeat.

Worth noting that there's going to be a Patlabor TV simulwatch at some point in the near future.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Patlabor Reboot short is being streamed for free until Feb 28, 2017. It's good!
https://animatorexpo.com/patlabor-reboot/

There's a little button under the video for English subs.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

There are three separate continuities:

1) the manga continuity, which is its own thing.
2) the TV continuity, which is the TV series + the 16-episode The New Files OVA, which is a direct sequel.
3) the Early Days continuity, which is the 7-episode Early Days OVA + the three films, plus Patlabor: The Next Generation if that ever gets more than one episode fansubbed. That said, there isn't actually much continuity between Early Days and the films, or between each film individually.

Pick one, read/watch everything in that continuity in the listed order, repeat.

Worth noting that there's going to be a Patlabor TV simulwatch at some point in the near future.

Didn't they just finish the TV simul

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Didn't they just finish the TV simul

Yes.

That post was made in May, Gorf. :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

net work error posted:

The Patlabor Reboot short is being streamed for free until Feb 28, 2017. It's good!

That was really good. I don't watch much anime anymore, but seeing this... Any idea when the full reboot starts up?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That was really good. I don't watch much anime anymore, but seeing this... Any idea when the full reboot starts up?

Googling it seems to show that its a one off? I hope not because i'd love a more modernised Patlabor series with a new cast, not that I don't like the original but I got pretty hype watching that short.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

No Noa no sale.

The short was really good, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

net work error posted:

Current mood: insanely mad this is just a 6.5mn short and not a TV series or at least a film. :argh::argh::argh:

Also, the new commander and handler are insanely good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Patlabor was/is cool to watch, and I'm glad I took the time to watch it. Thanks to simulwatch, I always like watchin' good things.:3:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yes.

That post was made in May, Gorf. :v:

Ah geez

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

track day bro! posted:

Googling it seems to show that its a one off? I hope not because i'd love a more modernised Patlabor series with a new cast, not that I don't like the original but I got pretty hype watching that short.

FFffffffffffuck!

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I just finished watching through the first two Patlabor movies thanks to this thread's praise for the series, and wow, whoever said Patlabor 2 was one of the best anime movies ever made wasn't kidding. I think I might have liked it better than Sword of the Stranger, and I adored that movie. Definitely checking the series out next because I'm totally buying what these guys are selling. Also Is it just me, or did that movie basically have Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig's plot? Kinda cool if that's what 2nd Gig drew inspiration from.

Also I watched this pretty much immediately after watching Cross Ange because "Hey, mechs fighting dragons, that sounds cool!" I'll recover from the quality whiplash eventually.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Patlabor 2 is a masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned. The montage scene of daily life continuing in the shadow of JSDF occupation is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time, and it doesn't even have any dialog!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Patlabor is easily the best mecha series ever made.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Patlabor is easily the best mecha series ever made.

It's the best anime ever made.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Droyer posted:

It's the best anime ever made.

I just spent twenty minutes trying to think of one I like more and I can't. Votoms comes really close though.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I just spent twenty minutes trying to think of one I like more and I can't. Votoms comes really close though.

Huh, I've never even heard of Votoms but since this thread has done well by me so far, I'll have to check it out.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Silvergun1000 posted:

Huh, I've never even heard of Votoms but since this thread has done well by me so far, I'll have to check it out.

Votoms? WHEEE!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Scope-Dog = Best Dog.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

My favorite part was when they caught the carrier on the power line trying to lift their labor. That was some classic Patlabor action.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I like it because it's plausible and doesn't make division 2 look like total clowns, because it's not like old neighbourhoods would have been built with labors in mind.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Patlabor's producer has said on his facebook that a new Patlabor project has started, but it doesn't sound like it'll be coming out any time soon. I'm just glad though that there seems to be plenty of people on this forum now who are hype about Patlabor.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

track day bro! posted:

Who names a one off a reboot?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just like how Megumi Hayashibara was involved. It's hilarious to me that she gets to revisit the franchise so long after her start in voice acting.

Somethin about her and those giant robots, man.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Well I caught up with some of the show, that fight in the bathhouse was really funny and the two movies were really impressive. What's the deal with the third movie I saw that it has a bad reputation but is that because it has a new cast or are their worse problems with it?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

Well I caught up with some of the show, that fight in the bathhouse was really funny and the two movies were really impressive. What's the deal with the third movie I saw that it has a bad reputation but is that because it has a new cast or are their worse problems with it?

The new leads aren't very interesting, it's a pretty bad-looking movie, and it's unrelentingly cynical in a way that feels very un-Patlabor.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Droyer posted:

The new leads aren't very interesting, it's a pretty bad-looking movie, and it's unrelentingly cynical in a way that feels very un-Patlabor.

Cynical in the trying too hard to be edgy Batman VS Superman/Suicide Squad sense?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Cynical in the trying too hard to be edgy Batman VS Superman/Suicide Squad sense?

I haven't seen either of those movies so i can't compare, but yeah i can see a case for patlabor 3 being edgy.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Droyer posted:

I haven't seen either of those movies so i can't compare, but yeah i can see a case for patlabor 3 being edgy.

BVS and Suicide Squad are both edgy,mean-spirited,and devoid of even the slightest bit of levity. No, really. Even the worst,edgiest MCU entry (Civil War) still has humor and jokes in it. AKA,the cast aren't a bunch of dour,angry sadsacks the entire way through. Just most of the way.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I've always liked Patlabor 3. It's not as good as the other Patlabor movies and it's quite a bit different from the rest of the franchise, but as a standalone mystery/thriller/giant monster movie it's alright. Great soundtrack, too.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Great Rumbler posted:

I've always liked Patlabor 3. It's not as good as the other Patlabor movies and it's quite a bit different from the rest of the franchise, but as a standalone mystery/thriller/giant monster movie it's alright. Great soundtrack, too.

I would have been cool with WXIII if it was named something other than "Patlabor" and it had none of the Patlabor characters. It was like watching a decent western 90's sci-fi/horror movie, but then at a few points the cast of Police Academy makes cameo appearances for some reason.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was gonna paste some of my favorite WXIII tunes, but the ost doesn't seem to be uploaded to youtube. SMH.

e:Found a playlist, but it's blocked in the US.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

net work error posted:

This is very good. Now I want a whole new Patlabor series.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I like it because it's plausible and doesn't make division 2 look like total clowns, because it's not like old neighbourhoods would have been built with labors in mind.

Until Unnamed Pilot # 2 throws down with a handcuffed perp after being called a douche. A Patlabor as hell move. I'm just going to assume he's Noa and Asuma's kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That reminds me, has their been any progress on the Next Generation fansubs?

• Locked thread