Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Tombot posted:

What I'd like to know is, why was the knife covered in paint? I never knew that until now. Did sombody try to plant a false murder weapon? Were two plans coinciding and this was the muddled result? And was it Byakuya using the night vision (or trying to use the night vision) or the murderer? Because this was a lot of things going on in such a short period of time.

Edit: sombody else post so we can get this to a new page already!

I guess Togami was also planning a murder, hence the night vision goggles and knife with special green paint. But I don't know how true this is. The big question is why on earth would Togami have Night Vision Goggles if he didn't know a blackout was coming, they're not particularly useful for anything but sneaky underhanded stuff in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
He was told there would be a murder. He probably figured that would be the way they'd try it, so he brought the goggles and fluorescent paint. When the killer was setting up, they discovered the hidden knife when they were hooking up the lamp, and figured out where he would be going during the blackout.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Preemptively apologizing for the wall of text, but I'm having a lot of fun with being able to speculate blind from the beginning this time.

@Mikan: Yeah, I'm inclined to give the writers benefit of the doubt on this one. This is absolutely self-aware, so I'm hoping it's meant to be critical but just a bit too far past the mark.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I only saw this game from oren's aborted LP, but one thing this game really improves on a lot from the first game is making the other students actually valuable contributors to the investigations instead of just drooling lumps except the ones who figured it out already but were just too lazy to speak up.
It's one thing I'm definitely a fan of, as compared to Makoto/Kyoko/Byakuya/(Sakura) contributing nearly 95% of the first game's actual investigative expertise while the rest of the cast guarded the crime scene or just happened to notice something. Aoi and the fortune teller surviving to the end drove me up the wall because they didn't really do anything outside of Aoi's brief instance of Doing Something in the 4th case. Most everyone so far is either useful, seems like they'll be later, or might have some other role they'll reveal later.

dancingbears posted:

Speaking of assistant detectives, which students do you goons think are going to be our Class Trial Wingmen? Last game, Naegi had Kyoko and Byakuya to cover all our mystery solving needs, but who do you think Hajime is going to be teaming up with? Who is both competent and survivable enough to hang with The Hajj?
Mahiru and Chiaki look promising; Nagito's at either end of the scale. I'm mildly concerned Mahiru's too useful to survive long, but we'll see what happens.

Current theory: the killer set up appliances on timers to overload the power and cause a blackout. They somehow got under the floor from wherever they were (via the storage room or bathroom), retrieved the stashed skewer, then waited for someone to leave the safety of the carpeted area, and got to stabbing. I just don't know what got Byakuya over to that table in the first place, let alone why he was underneath it, since there's no blood trail to show he was dragged. Suspect list remains Peko/Nagito/Steve. A possible explanation for the conflicts would be that multiple plots interfered with each other here, but I would be very pleasantly surprised if this game had such a complicated case right at the start. Fuyuhiko is the obvious red herring, and he's not even alluring after we've confirmed that he couldn't sneak under the house from outside. Even then, why would he? A Yakuza would surely be a smarter killer.

Tombot posted:

What I'd like to know is, why was the knife covered in paint?
I'm guessing it's luminescent paint to attract attention, for either bait or retrieval. I'm leaning towards the former bc whoever planted the knife would presumably remember where it was, and I don't think Byakuya would have put it there, since the entire point of this production was to prevent anyone from becoming a victim - that includes killing for self-defense, per my interpretation. That note also reeks of a set-up, and dedicated premeditation is the only plausible way I see for the killer to have bypassed Byakuya's security while scoring the kill on him.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I'm leaning towards Peko, she's really the only one without an alibi and given the nature of how quickly the murder went down, the ultimate sword mistress seems likely. That and her weird pain after the murder, I think it was making it seem like gastrointestinal issues, but what if our blessed fat boy got a could good hits on her and she's concealing it?
I think Peko's legit, but still in the *waves hand* category until I know what she was doing while out of sight. If she was actually sick, then I'm tossing her out as well, but I'm not dismissing one of the most lethal characters as a suspect without cause. I hadn't considered that her abdominal pain could be from Byakuya fighting back and getting a hit in, though. Interesting.

Steve's the default suspect if the rest are knocked out of the lineup. He wasn't in the room, had more freedom of movement with the least observation than anyone else, and there isn't anything that really points away from him. Mikan aside, he's most plausible to have poisoned Peko, and the skewer doesn't exactly look good. I expected him to kill via poison (or hoped karma would smite him), but someone has to start off simple so they go down first.

Rarity posted:

I don't care who the killer is. I just want to know why they didn't kill Steve instead :colbert:
Indeed. Oooh - what about if someone set him up? He doesn't seem particularly motivated or murderous, but gaslighting or some other external pressure could explain it. A bit early for cloak and dagger, but there's not much else I can think of.

Truthkeeper posted:

If there is a way to get under the floor, it's almost certainly in the bathroom. There is definitely something in there that's going to break this case open, because I am stumped right now.
It's absolutely the bathroom or storage room. I'm leaning towards storage room because the bathroom would out Peko as the murderer way too easily, even for the first case.

Truthkeeper posted:

Not gonna lie, not!Naegi is seeming really suspicious.

serefin99 posted:

I'm still gunning for it being Nagito. He acted way too suspiciously during the investigation for my liking, not to mention he had free reign of the building while cleaning it. He could easily set up everything for the murder.

Buried alive posted:

I have to agree. Especially with that whole exchange in the storage room. "Whoa! A blood splattered tablecloth. Think it's related to the murder?" "Lol no, let's go somewhere else! Right now!"
Calling it now that Off-brand!Naegi Nagito drops Trial 1's drama bomb by throwing a wrench in the main theory, throwing someone under the bus, or incriminating himself. He's the big question mark right now, especially after he rushed Hajime out of the storage room just when it became interesting. We've got too many friendlies while our resident psycho is still hiding: Nagito's my first guess, Mikan's right behind him, and I've got eyes on Gundham or Peko as well. He could be our friendly psycho, but he's something.

I fully expect some of my speculation to go out the window once DR2 starts subverting patterns from DR1, but it'll be interesting to see which. As for this case: revealing one or two of the unknowns (Peko, Nagito, crawlspace entrance, knife bypassing security, blackout events, and storage room) should be enough to pin down the likely murderer by either giving Peko an alibi or blasting a hole in someone else's. There's still plenty of room for sucker punches to come out during the trial, though.

Malah fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 24, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I dont think the note in Byakayu's cabin was from the murderer. He knew too much about what was going on and was determined to prevent monokuma from winning. It's almost certain he was one of the double agents in play(assuming monokuma still requires control?) and I'd wager the warning note was from a pink bunny friend side of the fence rather than the killer.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Malah posted:

It's one thing I'm definitely a fan of, as compared to Makoto/Kyoko/Byakuya/(Sakura) contributing nearly 95% of the first game's actual investigative expertise while the rest of the cast guarded the crime scene or just happened to notice something. Aoi and the fortune teller surviving to the end drove me up the wall because they didn't really do anything outside of Aoi's brief instance of Doing Something in the 4th case. Most everyone so far is either useful, seems like they'll be later, or might have some other role they'll reveal later.

Obviously I'm not gonna respond to speculation but you're wrong about Aoi. For all her issues she was consistently helpful, pretty much always providing a useful witness account, and even if she never cracked the case she had a good head on her shoulders all the way up until she was specifically goaded into a breakdown.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Oh man, oh man! Theory time!

Byakuya's strange comment can be explained by the note he got. He realized this was the murder attempt and started to act. If that note was sent by the killer, the killer would know that Byakuya would be on the lookout for anything weird and head to check it out, especially during a blackout. Something with glowing paint on it would certainly stand out and likely catch his attention. Byakuya was targeted. The knife being planted as bait works for this as well. It's got glowing paint so the killer can see it through the cracks in the floor. If someone comes to check it out during the blackout, their body will block the glow, which is how the killer would know to start stabbing. The killer presumably knows the time of the blackout in advance, so they have a schedule they can go by to prepare. It's possible that the skewer was planted beneath the floor well in advance, and the killer knew where to find it in the dark.

It looks increasingly likely as if Byakuya was stabbed with a skewer through the floor boards, right? Blood being the liquid it is, how did the killer manage to pull that off without getting any blood on them? They covered themselves with the tablecloth from the storage room. The killer wouldn't want to leave the cloth there to be found, as anyone who finds out how to get under the floor would definitely find that clue as well. So the killer takes the cloth, but now they need to ditch it as soon as possible. You can't just go walking around with an extra, blood-soaked table-cloth, right? So as soon as they get out from under the floor, they try to hide it wherever they happen to be at..in the storage room.

All we need for a twist is for there to be access to the storage room from the main room that we don't currently know about. Then all you'd need is a way to find the storage room from the main room. The power cord from the lamp goes to the storage room. Find the lamp, find the cord, find the room. Who had time to check out the storage room? Nagito. Who had time in advance to plant the knife? Nagito. Who had time in advance to set the A/C timers? Nagito. Who's closest to the lamp?

Fuckin' Nagito.

Peko was the one in the bathroom. She's ill.

Either that or the game is going waaaay out of its way to make Nagito into a red herring. Let the trial commence. :colbert:

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 24, 2016

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Buried alive posted:

All we need for a twist is for there to be access to the storage room from the main room that we don't currently know about. Then all you'd need is a way to find the storage room from the main room. The power cord from the lamp goes to the storage room. Find the lamp, find the cord, find the room. Who had time to check out the storage room? Nagito. Who had time in advance to plant the knife? Nagito. Who had time in advance to set the A/C timers? Nagito. Who's closest to the lamp?

Fuckin' Nagito.

The door to the storage room goes from the hallway, not from the main room. The lamp's cord would only take you as far as the wall.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I just thought of something in relating to the skewing someone through the floor theory, if you got someone, gravity would cause blood to fall down on you...Unless you covered yourself in some kind of cloth or tarp to prevent the flood from dribbling down on you, which is what was so conveniently found in the storage room.

The one really confusing thing about this all is what is the time line from the lights going out to when they came back on? Was it just a couple seconds or a few minutes?

To add to my Peko did it theory, she left early to guard the case and didn't reappear until Byakuya's bod was discovered. This leavers her MIA for a fairly long amount of time, enough to come up from a floor, ditch the cloths and get back to the group. Plus to accurately shish kabobed in the dark like that would require some deft skills with a blade. especially since according to the Monokuma File "The victim was repeatedly stabbed over ten times between the throat and abdominal region, resulting in death" To get that many blows with a skewer from below the floor would be hard unless you knew what you were doing wit hsharp objects.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Amidiri posted:

The door to the storage room goes from the hallway, not from the main room. The lamp's cord would only take you as far as the wall.

Buried alive posted:

All we need for a twist is for there to be access to the storage room from the main room that we don't currently know about.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Plus to accurately shish kabobed in the dark like that would require some deft skills with a blade. especially since according to the Monokuma File "The victim was repeatedly stabbed over ten times between the throat and abdominal region, resulting in death" To get that many blows with a skewer from below the floor would be hard unless you knew what you were doing wit hsharp objects.

I wouldn't call that really 'accurate' kabobing. Consider how much space there is between the throat and your gut, particularly on a fat bastard like Togami. That actually seems like someone who may well know when to stab, as Buried pointed out with the glow-paint acting as a light, but also as someone doesn't know what they're doing to me and is thrashing about and just killing by quantity of wounds.

...come to think of it, that makes me think less of Steve as the killer because surely he would know how to handle skewers and little brat-queen would. Well, I know who I'm voting for.

rotoscoped
Oct 30, 2010
I think Nagito is very suspicious. He is supposedly the ultimate in Luck, yet he draws the short (painted) stick and has to clean the lodge up beforehand. That would have given him time to set everything up. Plus, people have already pointed out how strange he has been acting during the investigation.

But I think he was acting strange before the murder, too. From the beginning he has made comments like "oh just don't worry about it" or "well let's not think about it too deeply". He also seems to be very down about his talent occasionally, before going back to weirdly cheerful. Just about all the other characters seem to be way more over the top remixes of characters from the last game, but even his name is an anagram of "I am Makoto Naegi". I wonder if he was planted in the group to become a sort of false Naegi, as a foil to our protagonist? So it far it seems that what he is trying to do, but he's also doing a really bad job of it, "Oh this bloody tablecloth? Hahaha, nevermind that."

Still, I don't think he's the killer. Fatogami obviously had a lot of secrets that he was going to share, and if Nagito has any link to Naegi they might have involved him, too. It would just be strange for both of them to die in this case, because the two of them seem like our link to the last game. I wonder if he and the murderer cooperated? We know based on the last game that cooperations like that do not work, but our group of students doesn't.

Or maybe Nagito's name and appearance are just another red herring, because that seems like something this game would do. Then Fatogami's skinny twin, also named Byakuya, returns as the avatar of despair. What a twist!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

rotoscoped posted:

I wonder if he and the murderer cooperated? We know based on the last game that cooperations like that do not work, but our group of students doesn't.

Note that unlike in the first murder of the first game, for this one the group actually does know - Monokuma provided the rules already, including "If the blackened is not exposed, the remaining students will be executed".

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: A couple of notes about the trials. I highly recommend watching the videos for the trial updates, as they are fully voice-acted and will look much better in motion than they will in screenshot format. You will get to see the minigames in motion this way since I will only be taking a few screen shots of each of them after their first explanation. Each trial update video will cover the whole update from start to finish.
: New to this LP's trials as opposed to the first game is that the videos are now presented in glorious 60 frames per second! I decided to switch over to the PC version for recording after learning that it runs at 1080p60fps, where the Vita version runs at 1080i30fps. This is important to me, I swear.
: Additionally, in the videos, I will be skipping the tutorial text explaining the various minigames but I will write it out for the screenshot version of each update.

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: Now then, let's begin with a simple explanation of the class trial. During the class trial, you will present your arguments for who the killer is, and vote for "whodunnit."

: If you vote correctly, then only the blackened will receive punishment. But if you pick the wrong person... I'll punish everyone *besides* the blackened, and that person will earn the right to leave this island!
: S-Such a cruel rule...!

: Before we begin, I'd like to confirm one thing. Is there really a killer among us?
: Most definitely... There's no doubt that the blackened is lurking among you. Such a sad state of affairs, isn't it?

: By the way, this class trial is gonna be 100 percent fair, so there's no need to worry.
: I'm the type who hates favoritism and prejudice... Well, not as much as I hate Monomi, of course.
: You hate me that much!?
: Now, let's begin!

: Y-You're telling us to begin...but what are we supposed to do?
: No complainin', let's just settle this with our fists!
: Were you even listening to the rules!?

: Didn't that Byakuya bastard get killed in the dining hall, huh? Then everyone there is a fuckin' suspect.
: Yeah, yeah. What you're really saying is that you're not the killer, right?
: No poo poo... You guys went off on your own and started killing each other. This has nothing to do with me...
: Huh? What does that mean?

: A-Anyway...why don't we try talking about the most pressing issue on our minds?
: Huh? The most pressing issue on our minds...?
: Where we found the body. It's very strange to find a body underneath a table.
: Then...let's start with that mystery.

The reason why Byakuya's body was discovered under the dining hall table... We can start with that... But ultimately, we need to find out who murdered him... If we can't do that...

: ...

No... Thinking about "if" is a waste of time. We have to do this...no matter what!

: So the class trial has finally started... From this point on, I will provide simple tutorials at every important moment. I'm sorry, but please excuse my ear-tainting rudeness.
: As things progress during each class trial, you will engage in a number of Nonstop Debates. During these discussions, all of your classmates will speak one after the other, without any breaks. It's up to you to reveal any lies or mistakes contained within their statements. This means you'll have to use your Truth Bullets to refute what they say. Out of all the Truth Bullets you find during your investigation, only the relevant ones will be loaded into the Truth Cylinder. Use the left stick to move the reticle, then fire with the Triangle/Y button. Pay close attention to each character's statements, and choose your Truth Bullets to blast the right ones. Note that if you run out of time, you will automatically fail, so please be careful! Well then...good luck and have fun!
: The Nonstop Debate is the main trial minigame. They're pretty fun to play especially as they get harder throughout the game. All you need to do is aim and shoot the correct truth bullet at the orange highlighted weak point to end the debate and move on. At any time while the others are talking, we can pause and review truth bullets from our e-Handbook. For this first debate I'll provide pictures of each person saying a line so you can get a feel for what the debate looks like, but after this one I will only show the debate transcript and me refuting the weak point.

: This is the Truth Cylinder. It displays the given Truth Bullets we can use to solve this debate. Danganronpa 2 starts things out with a challenge on Mean difficulty and gives you three Bullets to choose from.

: Why was Byakuya's body in a place like that?
: His body was underneath the table at the very back of the dining hall.
: After the killer murdered Byakuya...
: ...they probably moved the body there.
: Huh? Why?
: Obviously, by hiding the body...
: They tried to delay its discovery!
: Like a dog burying a bone!
: Colored statements seen during the debate are Weak Points. These are the words that you can fire your Truth Bullets at to end the debate. Match the correct Truth Bullet to the appropriate Weak Point and you can move on. For LP purposes, Weak Points will be represented with bold text.
: I want to bring up skills again for a moment. Danganronpa 2 actually incorporates two very useful skills from Danganronpa 1 into the base Nonstop Debate mechanics. The skills Robot Jock (decreased the time it took for the Truth Bullet to leave the Cylinder and strike a Weak Point) and Trigger Happy (decreased the time it take to fire a Bullet again if you miss) from DR1 are now always in effect during DR2, making debates flow more quickly. I'm very happy for this because Robot Jock especially was an invaluable skill in the first game.

...Huh? What he just said was strange. It clearly contradicts the information I know.

: Didn't we discover that the bloodstain under Byakuya's body showed no signs of the body being dragged through it?

> Shoot "moved the body" with "Bloodstain Under the Table"

: No, that's wrong!
: With that, the Nonstop Debate ends and we are returned to the discussion.

: No... I don't think the killer moved the body.
: ...Huh? Why?
: Try to remember what the body looked like when we found it under the table...

: Though there was a lot of blood everywhere, there was no sign the killer actually dragged the body through it.
: So that's why you think it's impossible that the killer moved the body... I see, I get your point.

: Arghhh! And here I thought I had a genius idea!
: Too bad you're soooooo stupid and boring and unpopular! Your life is meaningless!
: I-I respond better to praise, you know!

: But if the killer didn't move the body, why was it under the table?
: Byakuya was probably killed...under the table.
: What...? You think he was killed under the table!?

: So Byakuya snuck under the table for reasons unknown, and that's when he was killed... Then, shortly thereafter, we found his body under the table.
: Th-That does make sense, but...why did he go under the table?
: Obviously he was hidin' so he could surprise us. That dude was always a big jokester.
: The hell he was! Your seriously couldn't tell what kind of person he was!?

: Hmm... Maybe he panicked during the blackout and dove under the table...
: It's a blackout, not an earthquake! Just 'cause the power went out doesn't mean he'd dive under the table!
: The reason why...is probably connected to what Byakuya was doing during the party, don't you think?

The reason Byakuya dove under the table... If it's connected to what Byakuya was doing during the party, then it's probably...

: From time to time, we're asked to present some piece of evidence as proof. Scroll through the list of Truth Bullets and present the correct one.

> Present "Knife"

: I can prove it with this!

: It probably has something to do with the knife we found under the table.

: Knife...? Oh, you mean that thing that obviously screams, "I am the murder weapon!"?
: Byakuya probably noticed the knife was hidden there so in order to get it, he moved under the table.

: He was particularly sensitive to the presence of dangerous items, so I cannot deny that possibility...
: But how did he notice that there was a knife under the table?
: If he knew beforehand...he probably would've done something about it before the blackout, right?
: Then...instead of knowing about it beforehand, maybe he saw it right at that moment...? Like, for example, he might've seen someone trying to take the knife our from under the table...

: No, that's not possible.
: What...? You seem rather confident about that.
: Of course. I have proof to back me up.

: Puhuhu! This is almost like a real trial!

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 5, 2016

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
These trial segments seem a lot more chill all around than in the first game. Maybe it's that the music has been toned down a notch, but it also seems like the voice acting isn't quite as full of hysteria. Also HOLY poo poo Gundham's voice. I might have to start liking him more than Ibuki for how cheesy that is.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Buried alive posted:

These trial segments seem a lot more chill all around than in the first game. Maybe it's that the music has been toned down a notch, but it also seems like the voice acting isn't quite as full of hysteria. Also HOLY poo poo Gundham's voice. I might have to start liking him more than Ibuki for how cheesy that is.

I noticed that too, all the voices are fairly subdued this time around, I've heard good reviews from my friends though so I figure we might see more pitch later on once the pressure ramps up.

Also

DG2 posted:

Too bad you're soooooo stupid and boring and unpopular! Your life is meaningless!

:stare: Jeez what's her problem?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ Her ultimate talent is a niche entertainment skill that mostly older people care about and she's projecting?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Also psychopath: She enjoys killing crabs for no good reason.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Kinda surprising how no one is really screaming "I am the killer, it was me" in this first trial, compared to first game. I was half expecting that to go up in flames once the trial started, but it's still pretty ambiguous as to who done it.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I was typing up a theory about how I think it was chef boyardee over there, mainly because the injuries were too thin for the knife and there was a to-do about a skewer going missing, but now I'm more entertained by the fact that my phone autocorrected tubby's name to Blackula.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Talow posted:

Kinda surprising how no one is really screaming "I am the killer, it was me" in this first trial, compared to first game. I was half expecting that to go up in flames once the trial started, but it's still pretty ambiguous as to who done it.

I think they took to heart the complaint of how relatively easy it was to guess the murderer in DR1's cases which ends up making everyone else into morons

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Robindaybird posted:

I think they took to heart the complaint of how relatively easy it was to guess the murderer in DR1's cases which ends up making everyone else into morons

Yeah compared to Case 1 in the first game this one has me a bit stumped. Though to be fair I am one of those people who think I'm hot poo poo a mystery games, but actually sucks at them.

So far I am really enjoying how calm everyone is, before getting to the murderer, everyone is really trying to give a good guess based on what they know, hell even Steve is actually contributing useful thoughts to the debate, something I never thought would happen.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yea the only cases in DR1 that came close to not being obvious was 2 - least in Oren's lp that's partially due to a mistranslation Oren later corrected and 4 as most people wouldn't think of suicide plus Aoi's and Monokuma's interference. 1, 3, and the final case was either the killer was way too obvious before the trial, or you get lead by the hand to the real culprit.

I ended up guessing wrong a lot of times in the DR1 thread because it was so obvious that I thought there that to be a twist.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

Well, I'm glad they did. Makes trying to guess who did it more fun.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Robindaybird posted:

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Yeah compared to Case 1 in the first game this one has me a bit stumped. Though to be fair I am one of those people who think I'm hot poo poo a mystery games, but actually sucks at them.

So far I am really enjoying how calm everyone is, before getting to the murderer, everyone is really trying to give a good guess based on what they know, hell even Steve is actually contributing useful thoughts to the debate, something I never thought would happen.

The students in this game are much, much more useful than in DR 1 and they contribute a lot more constructive thoughts to the trials as well.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Oh, please let it be Saionji so we can get rid of her. Creepy little madam.

And why is the possibility of Peko's "proof" now worrying me immensely? If Togami didn't see the knife under the table when the lights went out, why else would have he been under there?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Serpentis posted:

Oh, please let it be Saionji so we can get rid of her. Creepy little madam.

And why is the possibility of Peko's "proof" now worrying me immensely? If Togami didn't see the knife under the table when the lights went out, why else would have he been under there?

He saw someone else going for the knife under the table with night vision goggles. He managed to keep his promise in the most roundabout way: instead of that person getting murdered they got spooked by Byakuya, who was then murdered.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

EponymousMrYar posted:

He saw someone else going for the knife under the table with night vision goggles. He managed to keep his promise in the most roundabout way: instead of that person getting murdered they got spooked by Byakuya, who was then murdered.

The knife was never meant to be a murder weapon. We know the weapon was a skewer from the autopsy report and the kitchen equipment manifest. The murderer wouldn't go for the knife if they already had the skewer.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Double Punctuation posted:

The knife was never meant to be a murder weapon. We know the weapon was a skewer from the autopsy report and the kitchen equipment manifest. The murderer wouldn't go for the knife if they already had the skewer.

Others might have though, if they spotted the glowing paint that was on the knife and tape.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Double Punctuation posted:

But somebody clearly planted the knife under the table, with glow-in-the-dark paint on it, as if they knew there was going to be a blackout.

I'm starting to think that there are two separate murder plots running into each other here. One person intended to commit murder with the knife, but was stopped by Byakuya, who was then murdered by the person with the skewer. Except how the hell would the person with the skewer, apparently hiding underneath the floor, know that somebody would dive under that table, opening them up to being stabbed from below?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Truthkeeper posted:

But somebody clearly planted the knife under the table, with glow-in-the-dark paint on it, as if they knew there was going to be a blackout.

I'm starting to think that there are two separate murder plots running into each other here. One person intended to commit murder with the knife, but was stopped by Byakuya, who was then murdered by the person with the skewer. Except how the hell would the person with the skewer, apparently hiding underneath the floor, know that somebody would dive under that table, opening them up to being stabbed from below?

I'm thinking that person set up Byakuya.

Someone slipped him a note warning of murder in the air. Byakuya decided to try and save everyone, he prepared with his duralamin case and got supplies to help keep the hall secure. When the lights went out, he immediately grabbed the goggles to make sure no one tried anything when people were vulnerable.

What he didn't know was that he was being set up as the victim. That same person who warned him of murder tapped a knife under the table in a type of glow tape that can be easily seen with goggles, they probably folded the cloth up a bit so that Byakuya could see the knife. He'd see an obvious weapon and tr to confiscate it. He dives under, and since he's a big dude it'll be obvious he's above. The murderer begins stabbing up through the floor, covering themselves in a cloth to keep the blood off them. as someone pointed out, he wouldn't be a hard target to miss. I'm guessing our murder combined Byakuya's desire to protect people with the fact he'd be one of the easier targets to hit in an environment where it would be hard to see.

I'm prepared to rule out anyone Ibuki heard during the blackout: so Akane, Ibuki, Steve, Hajime, Mahiru, Kazuichi, Sonia, Hiyoko and Nagito. She didn't hear Mikan, but considering her state following the black out and her established clumsiness, I don't think she could have maneuvered unlikely enough to initiate a shanking.. Gundham wasn't heard either, but since seemed to have no way of knowing initially about the how to get under the hut for his earring, I think hes safe too. Same with Nekomaru, he was too worried to crap his pants too.

Chiaki and Fuyuhiko seem to have mutually confirming alibis so they seem to be unlikely to be suspects as well unless they colluded with Monomi to partner up for a murder, but that not likely.

Unless the hatch to the floor below is in the dining room, it really looks like Peko will be in a tough spot to explain herself.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

What he didn't know was that he was being set up as the victim. That same person who warned him of murder tapped a knife under the table in a type of glow tape that can be easily seen with goggles, they probably folded the cloth up a bit so that Byakuya could see the knife. He'd see an obvious weapon and tr to confiscate it. He dives under, and since he's a big dude it'll be obvious he's above. The murderer begins stabbing up through the floor, covering themselves in a cloth to keep the blood off them. as someone pointed out, he wouldn't be a hard target to miss. I'm guessing our murder combined Byakuya's desire to protect people with the fact he'd be one of the easier targets to hit in an environment where it would be hard to see.

I thought about that, but I decided it wasn't likely, because the knife was taped to the underside of the table. Nightvision goggles let you see in the dark, but they don't let you see through tables.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

I thought about that, but I decided it wasn't likely, because the knife was taped to the underside of the table. Nightvision goggles let you see in the dark, but they don't let you see through tables.

Honestly, what I suspect happened in the room was someone else noticed the glowing paint and started to duck under the table to investigate, and Byakuya saw that and intervened to investigate for himself.

Seems like the plan was to just murder whoever happened to investigate the knife, but I still don't know who did it from there.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Yeah. My question was why's Peko turning around and saying with certainty she has proof that wasn't what happened?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Why did we hear Steve during the blackout when he wasn't in the room when Mahiru took her photos? Judging by the way he acted, you'd have thought he'd just come in from the kitchen and walked around, but can we just assume that without evidence? Honestly I'm thinking it's Steve or Peko, and I'm leaning steve because he would have had the ability to hide it from Byakuya prior to the murder because he was in the kitchen the whole time.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
My bet is that Byakuya planted the knife himself. He wanted an emergency weapon or he was attempting to carry out a murder himself. We remember how big an rear end in a top hat he was in the first game, right? Constantly under suspicion for being so actively opposed to even the idea of teamwork? I think it's shortsighted to assume that his heart was pure and he was trying to keep everyone safe. He very well could have been attempting to control the situation such that he would have an opportunity to commit a murder and manufacture sufficient evidence to get himself free.

So the unexpected blackout happens, Byakuya puts on the night vision goggles and goes for his knife, and while he's in the process, gets shanked from below by someone with a meat skewer. Peko being a swordswoman makes sense that she'd use a similar weapon, but I really hope it's not her because a) I'm a fan of no-nonsense, relatively serious women in plots like this and b) come on, she's basically the Persona 4 MC when he was in the drag show, how is that not awesome?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Literally just finished this game and am looking forward to seeing how others react to things as they unfold. It's a pretty great game and I think you'll all enjoy it. :allears:

Also, a word of warning those who are going to take a look at the DR3 anime once this is done: Do not start on the Despair arc! Start with Future, then do Dispair, then do Hope. I watched them out of order (because the geniuses at Funimation listed them that way) and it spoiled Future almost completely for me. Also it should go without saying but don't watch any of these until you've finished DR2.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

readingatwork posted:

Also, a word of warning those who are going to take a look at the DR3 anime once this is done

You are supposed to watch them in the order of their air date, as they set up things in one show that are covered by the other show.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Literally just finished this game and am looking forward to seeing how others react to things as they unfold. It's a pretty great game and I think you'll all enjoy it. :allears:

Also, a word of warning those who are going to take a look at the DR3 anime once this is done: Do not start on the Despair arc! Start with Future, then do Dispair, then do Hope. I watched them out of order (because the geniuses at Funimation listed them that way) and it spoiled Future almost completely for me. Also it should go without saying but don't watch any of these until you've finished DR2.

Actually the order of airing is Future ep1 > Despair Ep 1 > Future ep 2 etc and leave Hope until last.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

readingatwork posted:

Also it should go without saying but don't watch any of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'd prefer if we don't go into the merits of DR3 in this thread. That discussion can go into the DR general. It's a long ways off from where we are anyhow.

Update shortly.

• Locked thread