Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

Really weird how everyone critical of this thread or the people who post in it are terrible posters. I mean if it were me, I'd take stock of the fact that there was enthusiastic and prolonged mock-outrage conversations about not liking pizza and the pronunciation of the dotgif file extension for computers. If I was some sort of authority on humour I'd place that somewhere between the proverbial 'lowest form of humour' - puns (which this thread, and reddit, enjoys), and the *holds up spork* thing. If you don't consider that terrible, you're probably not in a position to judge the value of written entertainment, or basically anything.

This leaves me in such a conflicted place since I both think this thread is a hive of idiots when it comes to the whole doxxing thing but I also hate your constant whining about literally everything in this thread and your determination to keep reading it anyway.

I guess I am doomed to walk this earth alone, save for the occasional phone call with my parents.

edit: hang on, I got this....

Just one more second...

There I did it I thread memed. Man that feels good. Even better in context, too.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chalks posted:

This leaves me in such a conflicted place since I both think this thread is a hive of idiots when it comes to the whole doxxing thing but I also hate your constant whining about literally everything in this thread and your determination to keep reading it anyway.

I guess I am doomed to walk this earth alone, save for the occasional phone call with my parents.

He just wants to carve out his own Star Citizen thread niche, leave him alone :(

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

orcinus posted:

So you do realize that this will look like poo poo from 1st person, because the lack of parallax will make them look quite obviously like a flat texture, right?
And that this is not how things are normally done?

That trick also flat out fails completely in VR.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5epycr/new_procedural_objects_tech_from_atv_314/

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Chin posted:

SC is like a modern day Scientology where you get to watch L. Ron Hubbard flail his arms around on Youtube and the inevitable final act is going to come within months not decades.

I wonder if any of the Citcon volunteers did any volunteering on Chris' yacht?

I watched The Master a couple of weeks ago (amazing movie) and Star Citizen did cross my mind a couple of times.

Philip Seymour Hoffman did an extraordinary job of playing a megalomaniac with charisma, as Hubbard so clearly was. The mind boggling thing about Star Citizen is that Chris Roberts has all the charisma of a styrofoam cup, but somehow he's created a cult of personality around his completely boring personality.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

no_recall posted:

This part somehow triggered me. Is the "artist" / gamedev / level designer / procgen master moving the rotation / axis of the planet, or are they moving the sun / lightsource?

If that's happening "artistically" how the heck is everything supposed to be proc-gen?

:supaburn:

loving whoa, so they don't use skyboxes and the sun you see in the sky is the star of the system, but a designer can somehow grab that sun and wave it around in the sky like it was part of a skybox?

Something doesn't add up in that scene......

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

no_recall posted:

This part somehow triggered me. Is the "artist" / gamedev / level designer / procgen master moving the rotation / axis of the planet, or are they moving the sun / lightsource?

If that's happening "artistically" how the heck is everything supposed to be proc-gen?

:supaburn:

They're moving the sun, which indicates that's a skybox and not a solar system you're looking at from the planet surface. I don't care about 'cheating'. You can cheat all you want but don't make a loving big deal out of your commitment to "fidelity".

Also the clouds appear to be a layered texture, it's especially clear when the clouds are 'moving'.

E: ^:argh:

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 25, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Looks like they're doing a Bar Citizen reasonably near me next month.

Somebody wanna draw up a nice looking "Get a Refund" flyer I can get printed? :getin:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Marching Powder posted:

Really weird how everyone critical of this thread or the people who post in it are terrible posters. I mean if it were me, I'd take stock of the fact that there was enthusiastic and prolonged mock-outrage conversations about not liking pizza and the pronunciation of the dotgif file extension for computers. If I was some sort of authority on humour I'd place that somewhere between the proverbial 'lowest form of humour' - puns (which this thread, and reddit, enjoys), and the *holds up spork* thing. If you don't consider that terrible, you're probably not in a position to judge the value of written entertainment, or basically anything.
What's your favorite recipe?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/358400/sandi-gardners-marketing-machine

lol, this thread didn't go the way as the OP intended.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Star Citizen: I've never seen such a beautiful image of rocks

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

cool new Polack jokes posted:

They're moving the sun, which indicates that's a skybox and not a solar system you're looking at from the planet surface. I don't care about 'cheating'. You can cheat all you want but don't make a loving big deal out of your commitment to "fidelity".

Also the clouds appear to be a layered texture, it's especially clear when the clouds are 'moving'.

E: ^:argh:

Yea you'd think more of these retards would be asking that question. "Why is the star being drug around in a "procgen planet?" Definitely not correct in all of my non-existent game dev knowledge, but this just screams 'built level,' and how it doesn't to these imbecile backers, I'll never know.

It's also funny they mentioned a few months back on star citizen's development on volumetric clouds (Seen here how CryEngine ACTUALLY has clouds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjqddgfzfuE)

Yet, they're working with texture layered clouds? the gently caress is going on with this company? Can they just say anything and these retards willfully eat it up because BDSSE?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

nawledgelambo posted:

Yea you'd think more of these retards would be asking that question. "Why is the star being drug around in a "procgen planet?" Definitely not correct in all of my non-existent game dev knowledge, but this just screams 'built level,' and how it doesn't to these imbecile backers, I'll never know.

It's also funny they mentioned a few months back on star citizen's development on volumetric clouds (Seen here how CryEngine ACTUALLY has clouds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjqddgfzfuE)

Yet, they're working with texture layered clouds? the gently caress is going on with this company? Can they just say anything and these retards willfully eat it up because BDSSE?

They're probably on a CryEngine version that doesn't have it :v:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

:psyduck: I don't think they understand game development anything. :psyduck:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
By this point this has become tantamout to dangling a shiny object in front of a cat to play with, but never actually catch. The only difference being, that the cat doesn't empty its wallet for this.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Raskolnikov posted:

:psyduck: I don't think they understand game development anything. :psyduck:

If they understood game development, they might have played something like HL2: Lost Coast, and noticed how it does the whole rock thing… So yeah.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Marching Powder posted:

I'm not saying she was the thread's Sandi because I disliked her, but because she was a primary source of malevolent tedium tolerated only because of

I liked bootcha. He was a wonderful source of information and entertainment, but fuzzknot was so relentlessly loving bad when they left I considered the trade off to be pretty close to fair.

And yet, still, we traded down and got you instead.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Dear Star Citizen Developers, I am hollow like death, is your game for me?

edit: Wasn't it "Deloria" that recommended Humility buy a luxerious Hot Tub Space Machine?

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 25, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cymelion deserves a badge for always being first in the line of defense.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
I guess Sandi didn't want to do Black Friday discounts. Does she not like Money or something?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And yet, still, we traded down and got you instead.
Fuzzknot was like watching a train wreck, Marching Powder is like someone constantly dragging fingernails on a chalkboard.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

the guy is post very bad, lets dismiss the point about how doxxing is bad and pumping our penises to spaceship ponography is real loving weird like come on dude

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Btw this goes for everyone stop following random people through every social media forum yahoo answers credit card apllication because of the epic fail space ship game. Its real weird and somehow makes the jacking it to calendars look less retarded in comparison.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

nawledgelambo posted:

They claimed procedural planets, not procedural everything, being able to move lights around is normal.

It does kinda disprove their "high-fidelity simulation" though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
if their clouds are layered textures how is that going to look flying from space down to planet?

ruh-roh

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dongsturm posted:

They claimed procedural planets, not procedural everything, being able to move lights around is normal.

That's not "a light", that's a star. How does moving it around affect the other planets in the system?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Dongsturm posted:

also, it wouldn't be strange to work on and demo a solution separately in an editor but still be able to add it to the overall game later

starkebn
May 18, 2004

also also, although the demo of the rocks they showed looked like dogshit to me we shouldn't be piling on CiG for trying to develop a workable "cheated" solution when 100 pages ago we were dogpiling them for insisting everything had to be full fidelitious

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

"Sneak Up On A Rock"

COMING 2017

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

have these people never played a video game in the last 10 years?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

ArfJason posted:

the guy is post very bad, lets dismiss the point about how doxxing is bad and pumping our penises to spaceship ponography is real loving weird like come on dude

that's quite a gimmick

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Maybe shitizens are just really high all the time? :2bong:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

god drat. not only do i care, and am mad, but i have to put up with this own. this is NOT my day.

Just chill a bit and it will be okay. I promise you that. No chance of seeing a better day if you die of an aneurysm or a cardiac insult.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Marching Powder posted:

You're wrong in that those are good posts for this thread, but you're right in that the people complaining are in fact the real bad posters.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

That's not "a light", that's a star. How does moving it around affect the other planets in the system?

Anything that casts light is "a light" in a game engine, and it's usually easy to move around.

And it isn't going to affect other planets because there aren't any, and never will be.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dongsturm posted:

Anything that casts light is "a light" in a game engine, and it's usually easy to move around.

And it isn't going to affect other planets because there aren't any, and never will be.

That's the point, it's not supposed to be "just a light", it's supposed to be a real object but it's obviously not otherwise what happens to the rest of the solar system?

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Isn't parallax occlusion mapping extremely resource intensive compared to say using normal maps for small details and actual geometry for things like rocks the size of your spaceman?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

That's the point, it's not supposed to be "just a light", it's supposed to be a real object but it's obviously not otherwise what happens to the rest of the solar system?

I'm not sure what your point is here, since we appear to be in agreement that it's not a fidelitous simulation, despite claims that it is?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Acquilae posted:

You should get a hold of Rhiload (http://www.youtube.com/user/airforcelol/featured), he does a lot of hilarious EVE videos using that exact same thing.

Cheers for the lead. I pinged him on Twitter. See what happens. Something about that text to speech I really like and I would like to track it down if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CrazyLoon posted:

By this point this has become tantamout to dangling a shiny object in front of a cat to play with, but never actually catch. The only difference being, that the cat doesn't empty its wallet for this.

You forgot. At some point the cat will realize they aren't actually getting said object, get bored, and wander off.

• Locked thread