Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ItBreathes posted:

What are the thread thoughts on the Tomshardward recommended SK Hynix drives? They seem to offer 850 Evo levels of performance with 60% of the warranty at 63% of the price currently. Not exactly a value proposition but it seems like a reasonable way to save a few bucks right now if the stats are accurate.

Samsung's real value-add is that they can make everything in the drive start to finish whereas I assume SK Hynix probably is just using an off-the-shelf controller. The memory chips are probably fine though, Hynix chips are usually viewed as some of the best-performing chips available at least in the GDDR5 market.

I guess for 60% of the price of an 850 Evo you might as well dive in. But there also have been quite a few OEMs that have had some major issues with early revisions of their SSDs and you never know what might go wrong (Samsung included).

Going back to the "my time is worth something" argument, if it crashes and you have to rebuild, that time alone wipes out most of your savings even if they give you a warranty replacement that works perfectly. It's probably no less reliable than any other cheapo SSD on the market, and if it's 850 Evo performance that's a good value proposition, but the question is whether you're willing to bet your boot disk on it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Which reliable 1TB M.2 SSD would you recommend for a notebook that's limited to a 2x PCIe 2.0 port (which I believe is a bottleneck above 1 GB/s)?

The 850 Evo seems to be too slow and the next step up appears to be the 950 Pro which they don't offer as a 1TB version. 960 Pro seems overkill and is still pretty expensive.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Paul MaudDib posted:

Samsung's real value-add is that they can make everything in the drive start to finish whereas I assume SK Hynix probably is just using an off-the-shelf controller.

I know for a fact that SK Hynix has in house design teams doing enterprise SSD controllers.

IDK about consumer though, there might not be enough value add to bother. On the consumer side, there's not much rocket science in the controller chip (particularly mainstream SATA ones), so lots of fabless design houses are capable of doing a decent job. Firmware quality tends to be more important. That's why even mighty Intel stopped designing consumer SSD controllers in house; they can just take someone else's controller, invest in firmware engineering and validation, and end up with a good result.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BobHoward posted:

, and end up with a good result.

Uhhhhhh
I wouldn't call the current Intel consumer drives good. Adequate perhaps but not good (as in "has a reason to exist when 850 EVO/X400 exist")

Mephistopheles
Sep 24, 2003

How can I help you?
Planning to pickup a dell xps13 (9360) i7 256GB model tomorrow and want to get a larger ssd for it. I know it uses an m.2 but I'm utterly confused on whether it can take an NVMe and/or SATA drive. Please help.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

Uhhhhhh
I wouldn't call the current Intel consumer drives good. Adequate perhaps but not good (as in "has a reason to exist when 850 EVO/X400 exist")

Well the 750 line is pretty badass. Not cost competitive though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just got a 1TB 850 EVO for $350 CAD from ncix (~$260 US) so I'm pretty happy about that. Steam/games drive!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I have a gigabyte g170 gaming 7 or some simply stupid name (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128835)

I can't figure out if I can use nvme m.2 drives. Does anyone know for sure?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Booley posted:

I have a gigabyte g170 gaming 7 or some simply stupid name (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128835)

I can't figure out if I can use nvme m.2 drives. Does anyone know for sure?

Yes. But make sure not to use the m.2 slot closer to the CPU for your primary NVMe drive, as that one is only connected by 2 lanes, as opposed to the one a bit lower on the board which supports full 4x speed (this one shares its bandwidth with the lowest PCIe slot, which means that one will be disabled as soon as an NVMe drive is present).

Mephistopheles
Sep 24, 2003

How can I help you?

Mephistopheles posted:

Planning to pickup a dell xps13 (9360) i7 256GB model tomorrow and want to get a larger ssd for it. I know it uses an m.2 but I'm utterly confused on whether it can take an NVMe and/or SATA drive. Please help.

Can I put a Samsung 850 evo 500gb m.2 SATA drive in this laptop and expect it to work?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes. But make sure not to use the m.2 slot closer to the CPU for your primary NVMe drive, as that one is only connected by 2 lanes, as opposed to the one a bit lower on the board which supports full 4x speed (this one shares its bandwidth with the lowest PCIe slot, which means that one will be disabled as soon as an NVMe drive is present).

Great, thanka

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mephistopheles posted:

Can I put a Samsung 850 evo 500gb m.2 SATA drive in this laptop and expect it to work?

No. It's an NVME drive. Dell's website doesn't specify but every review of the laptop does. You'll want a 960 evo,which is a fair bit more expensive I'm afraid.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Iron Rose posted:

No. It's an NVME drive. Dell's website doesn't specify but every review of the laptop does. You'll want a 960 evo,which is a fair bit more expensive I'm afraid.

850 evo is not an nvme drive.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Huh? The ifixit teardown of the XPS 13 claimed that the SSD is a Samsung PM851. Samsung claims that this drive uses SATA, not NVMe.

Seems like the 850 would be better than the 960?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The PM851 is an OEM mSATA drive, not an M.2 drive. It's an mSATA 850 EVO that doesn't say 850 EVO on it so they can bulk sell them to system builders for cheaper than they sell retail drives to us.

This is why M.2 is going to be a clusterfuck to get people to adopt and understand it...mSATA looks enough like it to confuse a lot of people, and even if they have a 1-2 year old laptop or PC with an M.2 slot, some/most older slots are keyed for SATA only, older NVMe slots might/will only provide two lanes' worth of bandwidth (like Z77s and Z97s), and try explaining to people with 2500K systems that even though they bought a PCIe adapter, that they can't *boot* from their brand new M.2 drive because they're tied to AHCI.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Grundulum posted:

Huh? The ifixit teardown of the XPS 13 claimed that the SSD is a Samsung PM851. Samsung claims that this drive uses SATA, not NVMe.

Seems like the 850 would be better than the 960?

The i7 9360 models come with a 256gb or 512gb NVMe drive. The link you have is for the older version of the laptop.

There are some i3 and i5 models that, if dell's website is consistent with its naming, come installed with SATA SSDs. Assuming the motherboard is the same between spec differences then it should be able to handle both SATA and NVMe drives.

e. http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-9360-laptop/pd - Check out the Hard Drive specs and the "Help Me Choose" link.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 25, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Don Lapre posted:

850 evo is not an nvme drive.

That's odd - I checked a few reviews of that model and they all said that the drive was NVME? In that case I'd recommend a NVME drive even if sata drives are compatible in case there's bios or driver issues.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
How good or bad is the Crucial - CT750MX300SSD1?

The 750 GB version is up on Amazon for 129€ and that sounds like a really good bargain because I need a new one (even though I wish it was the 1 TB on sale) so I'm really considering this model.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Furism posted:

How good or bad is the Crucial - CT750MX300SSD1?

The 750 GB version is up on Amazon for 129€ and that sounds like a really good bargain because I need a new one (even though I wish it was the 1 TB on sale) so I'm really considering this model.

Probably the best review you'll find: http://www.storagereview.com/crucial_mx300_ssd_review

TL;DR: It's an SSD with middle-of-the-road performance that equals the 850 EVO in some important areas, but is kind of all over the map in others. The biggest knock to it is a three-year warranty and 220 TBW rating. By comparison the 1TB 850 EVO gives you five years and 300TBW on the 1TB SKU.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Probably the best review you'll find: http://www.storagereview.com/crucial_mx300_ssd_review

TL;DR: It's an SSD with middle-of-the-road performance that equals the 850 EVO in some important areas, but is kind of all over the map in others. The biggest knock to it is a three-year warranty and 220 TBW rating. By comparison the 1TB 850 EVO gives you five years and 300TBW on the 1TB SKU.

Looks like it's a pretty decent drive and exactly what I need especially at almost -50%.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Was just buying a 500GB SSD to spruce up my SO's laptop, and I wanted to post the current deals I found:

Amazon and Newegg have the 525GB Crucial MX300 for 109.99 (free shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156151
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-750GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD68?th=1

They both also have the 500GB Samsung 850 EVO for 129.99 (fs) with a code for Watch Dogs 2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E500B-AM/dp/B00OBRE5UE

I'm pretty sure these are the lowest prices ever for these drives.

FWIW, I ordered the Crucial initially before the Samsung went on sale, but switched it for the EVO this morning. All the computers I use have the EVO in them, and I didn't want to chance a different brand for $20 saving (superstition.)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's more than superstition, the EVO is superior in every way: performance, endurance, warranty honor on behalf of the manufacturer.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

priznat posted:

Just got a 1TB 850 EVO for $350 CAD from ncix (~$260 US) so I'm pretty happy about that. Steam/games drive!

Canada Computers had it as a door crasher for 300. I was after the 500GB for 160, but they ran out. The guy infront of me got the last 1TB...

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Are there any good online deals for a 1tb ssd yet?

Edit: nevermind there is a 1tb 850 eco for 250 on Amazon. Purchased!

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 25, 2016

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

redeyes posted:

Well the 750 line is pretty badass. Not cost competitive though.

750 line is a data center drive in consumer marketing

Its a better 960 pro without throttling and in a 2.5 form factor

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm XML posted:

I know, I own one. Its a rocket of a hard drive. I got the PCIe form factor because the 2.5" one is harder to deal with.

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
I picked up one of those 500GB 850 EVO at Amazon. I have a 256GB 830 right now, but it was getting a little tight. The 830 has lasted 4 years so far without issue and I went ahead and picked up an external case so I can continue to use it.

Thanks for posting the links B-Nasty; this is all I was wanting for Black Friday.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Grabbed one of those $250 1tb 850 Evo's from Amazon. Have Prime with my GF, so they delivered it to my door free at 10:45am.

Best Black Friday Ever

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Malcolm XML posted:

In what way is it better than a 960 pro (besides not overheating when doing datacenter levels of sustained IO)?

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
On a whim, I checked Best Buy. They had the 850 EVO 500gb SataIII for 180 CAD. One Store nearby still had it. Just one left, hidden in with the unwanted 250GB size. I think I got the last sub 200$ one in Southern Ontario today.

A friend made do with an Adata blue series 500gb SSD. Are they as terrible as the OP makes them out to be?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Golluk posted:

On a whim, I checked Best Buy. They had the 850 EVO 500gb SataIII for 180 CAD. One Store nearby still had it. Just one left, hidden in with the unwanted 250GB size. I think I got the last sub 200$ one in Southern Ontario today.

A friend made do with an Adata blue series 500gb SSD. Are they as terrible as the OP makes them out to be?

I tried to go to CC for Black Friday two years ago to get some door crashers. Saw a lineup around the building in freezing rain. Turned car around and ordered everything I wanted online, and only paid $20 more to avoid probably 2-3 hours of misery. Never again.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Skandranon posted:

I tried to go to CC for Black Friday two years ago to get some door crashers. Saw a lineup around the building in freezing rain. Turned car around and ordered everything I wanted online, and only paid $20 more to avoid probably 2-3 hours of misery. Never again.

blackfriday.txt

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Canadian stores trying to glom onto Black Friday is the most hilarious thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Black Frid-eh.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Chris Knight posted:

Yeah all these global corporations should only appeal to the fat loving Retard consumers in America. That's the only place those exist

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Cross-posting from the Windows 10 thread:
Is there a recommended procedure for migrating Windows to a new SSD from an older HD? I've got a 2 TB WD hard drive, and just bought a 525 GB Crucial MX 300. My current partition has about 1TB of crap on it, so I don't think I can just mirror it over. Do I create a recovery drive & then reinstall from that? Do I use the recovery drive to do a clean install (and cry when I try and find my MS Office CD keys and have to reinstall all my other poo poo?)?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arcturas posted:

Cross-posting from the Windows 10 thread:
Is there a recommended procedure for migrating Windows to a new SSD from an older HD? I've got a 2 TB WD hard drive, and just bought a 525 GB Crucial MX 300. My current partition has about 1TB of crap on it, so I don't think I can just mirror it over. Do I create a recovery drive & then reinstall from that? Do I use the recovery drive to do a clean install (and cry when I try and find my MS Office CD keys and have to reinstall all my other poo poo?)?

In regards to product keys, you don't need to go paper-spelunking, just use this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

As for cloning, uninstall things (namely games, after backing up the save files, if applicable), try to get down to ~450GB, then follow this link (it seems Crucial has a deal with Acronis that uses your drive's serial number/info as a registration): http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Using-Acronis-True-Image-HD-2015/ta-p/171023

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 27, 2016

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Just (recommend to) get produkey from nirsoft directly :cmon:

Also, Macrium Reflect Free has no hangups about what brand your drives are.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In regards to product keys, you don't need to go paper-spelunking, just use this: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/produkey.html

As for cloning, uninstall things (namely games, after backing up the save files, if applicable), try to get down to ~450GB, then follow this link (it seems Crucial has a deal with Acronis that uses your drive's serial number/info as a registration): http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Using-Acronis-True-Image-HD-2015/ta-p/171023

Thanks. I'm sad that I actually need to trim all this poo poo down to a reasonable amount of space. But I guess that will help because when I reinstall I can try to use that Steam file manager thing to store games on different drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Goddamnit. Am I completely hosed, or can I fix this? I bought the Crucial MX300. Apparently I bought the laptop version. I have a desktop, with full cages for regular sized desktop hard drives. So the tiny SSD doesn't snap in to my removable hard drive trays. Can I just plug the SSD into my SATA system and have it work while I order some plastic spacer bullshit that will fill the empty space? Or do I need to get a whole new drive?

Quickedit: For reference, I bought this drive. I figured since it was SATA I was okay. But I'm Bad At Computers (TM).