Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Haine posted:

covering all your bases I guess

Completely necessary. Do magazines of bullets that fall in a fire still set off a rapid series of explosions for every bullet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Anticheese posted:

I wouldn't mind fungus so much if the fungal biome didn't keep spawning those drat puffballs, and if it began to recede after you destroy the master fungus in the area.

Unless something's changed, Puffballs spawn from fungal bed terrain, which you can burn to ash as long as it's not raining. A single molotov can take out all connected fungal bed terrain, and you can ignite the scattered individual patches with a cigarette lighter. It's a dumb chore, but if you kill all the fungal enemies (including puffballs) and burn all the fungal bed terrain, it does stop the fungus stuff from that area for good, even though it'll still be listed as a fungal zone on your overmap.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Completely necessary. Do magazines of bullets that fall in a fire still set off a rapid series of explosions for every bullet?

Yes.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Unless something's changed, Puffballs spawn from fungal bed terrain, which you can burn to ash as long as it's not raining. A single molotov can take out all connected fungal bed terrain, and you can ignite the scattered individual patches with a cigarette lighter. It's a dumb chore, but if you kill all the fungal enemies (including puffballs) and burn all the fungal bed terrain, it does stop the fungus stuff from that area for good, even though it'll still be listed as a fungal zone on your overmap.

Yes.

I launched a nuclear missile from a silo and it did jack poo poo to a fungal tower. I'm glad a lighter is the superior choice. :spergin:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KloC60eR_4&t=277s

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How does fire work?

I put a plastic bottle with 500 units of gas into a shrub fire and it hasn't done anything

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
There are a number of things to consider here. Shrub fires are often not incredibly hot to begin with. If it's raining, the fire will have difficulty consuming anything less-flammable you put in it. IIRC That plastic bottle will resist burning for a short time, then break and spill the gas, which will enthusiastically and vociferously participate in burning. So maybe stand a little distance away unless the fire has gone out completely. :v:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah I died as I was engulfed in flame lol

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Oh yeah I died as I was engulfed in flame lol

Now do it again, but use a jerry can.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

And then do it again, but this time, by parking a vehicle full of gas-filled containers on top of a burning bit of garbage.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just got into this game after having been interested in it for ages but never getting around to it. I'm getting the hang of the basics of surviving past the first day (mainly not to go straight into the middle of the city), so I've got some basic newbie questions:

-Are there any ways to bulk-interact with items? I know you can craft in batches in the & menu but what about something like disassembling rags into thread?
-On a similar note, what about interacting with items on the ground? e.g. 'a'ctivating an item without picking it up.
-It seems like sources of long-lasting light are annoyingly hard to come by so I end up having to do all my reading right next to an un-barricaded window. Is it possible to build some kind of generator/light setup for indoor lighting eventually?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

-It seems like sources of long-lasting light are annoyingly hard to come by so I end up having to do all my reading right next to an un-barricaded window. Is it possible to build some kind of generator/light setup for indoor lighting eventually?

Yes!
An LED lightstrip is a good starting point for reading light. Raid electronics shops and read their books.
If you want a full generator setup then you need to build it as a 'vehicle'. You'll want a car/truck/storage battery, a fuel tank, an engine (smaller is better) and an alternator, that's your generator and running the motor will charge the battery. Add a headlight or dome light and you have light.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

You might also randomly find an atomic lamp in a house which will never run out of fuel.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

But it might make you glow.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

But it might make you glow.

i thought only if it was damaged?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Angry Diplomat posted:

And then do it again, but this time, by parking a vehicle full of gas-filled containers on top of a burning bit of garbage.

Don't forget the ammo!

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Can I just say, gently caress chicken-walkers. gently caress 'em.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Roobanguy posted:

i thought only if it was damaged?
Yep. Intact ones are safe. (At least as of the last time I played.)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Yep. Intact ones are safe. (At least as of the last time I played.)

Explains why I never had any trouble. It's not like you want to take your lamp with you when hunting critters/turrets at night anyway.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Playing the latest experimental of this for the first time in a while and it seems like vehicle fuel consumption is completely broken? I hopped in a van that had about 10% gas left and managed to drive it for all of 5-10 seconds before it ran dry. The fuel tank wasn't damaged either.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Did it have a faulty engine part or something?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

They've been loving with gas consumption over the past couple weeks. So I guess call it an intentional bug?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Anticheese posted:

Did it have a faulty engine part or something?

I don't think so, though I admit, this business with engines being 'faulty' looks like a new/newish feature that I'm not familiar with. At any rate, I checked their forum and the fuel consumption thing appears to be a known problem (apparently it's something to do with one of the vehicle mods). But even without the mod fuel consumption has been raised enormously.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure there is any "engine fault" that could conceivably use 10% of the total fuel capacity of a car in a few minutes without leaving a large trail of fuel or setting the car on fire.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
cataclysm realism != actual realism

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

cataclysm realism != actual realism

My favorite example of cataclysm realism is forgetting how to aim a gun after sleeping for 8 hours because the knowledge "degraded". Or how cooking over an open fire makes my dude stand open mouthed right over the fire and deeply inhales the smoke and starts coughing so hard it hurts so while purifying water I get spammed with "You got hurt, stop cooking?"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought it was because they were now modeling the inner workings of engines for fuel efficiency, so now gears and poo poo can break down, and depending on the type of gears, the engines work differently?

quote:

Giant vehicle engine rework just landed.

Adds gears, RPM, efficiency and other such stats to engines.

Currently BREAKS VEHICLES WITH MULTIPLE ENGINES, so if you depend on that feature, you might want to skip few versions and wait until that's fixed.

Combustion engines now have gears and are damaged when you exceed their safe rpm whereas electric engines have equal efficiency at any speed. Engine selection is now more of a factor in vehicle construction - you can have a slow traction engine, a lightweight 2-stroke engine or a reliable but fuel inefficient wankel engine. More importantly engine and fuel code is moved to JSON. It should be possible to implement a scotch engine powered by whiskey or in the near future a steam engine. Mod authors might be best waiting for the API to become more stable and for any significant bugs to be first identified and resolved.

Total conversion mods are also now possible. We're working on an example and some documentation for this at the moment.

Clarification: Multiple engines remain supported but only one can be running at once

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Related to vehicles, I can't quite figure out manual aiming of turrets from the vehicle additions pack. I'll 'e'xamine the controls, pick "aim turrets manually", get the targeting cursor, move it over a target and hit f... then nothing happens - it just drops me out of the aiming interface as if I'd cancelled out. Am I doing something wrong or is that feature just not working yet?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Leal posted:

My favorite example of cataclysm realism is forgetting how to aim a gun after sleeping for 8 hours because the knowledge "degraded". Or how cooking over an open fire makes my dude stand open mouthed right over the fire and deeply inhales the smoke and starts coughing so hard it hurts so while purifying water I get spammed with "You got hurt, stop cooking?"

On that note, is there a mod or tweak out there that lets skill decay happen at a much slower rate? I never use it because it's annoying, but if it happened over a much longer period of time, I'd be more inclined to do it.

Bloodjewel
Feb 24, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

On that note, is there a mod or tweak out there that lets skill decay happen at a much slower rate? I never use it because it's annoying, but if it happened over a much longer period of time, I'd be more inclined to do it.

The last experimental I downloaded on 11/17 defaulted to "None" under skill degradation.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Turtlicious posted:

gears and poo poo can break down, and depending on the type of gears, the engines work differently?

Lol, sure sounds like a productive thing to add to this turn-based text game.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The grognardy poo poo of trying to be more real than real life has always been pretty tiresome and I wish it were confined to mods instead of the game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm struggling to think of what benefit this adds to the game.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Mister Adequate posted:

Or at least having skills that make sense to degrade.

Sure, 9 Electronics? The average person is not going to remember all of that stuff, and would need refreshers from a textbook rather often.

But shooting skills? It's not like I'm going to forget how to shoot a gun during the apocalypse.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

IMO the best way to handle "skill rust" is to remove it altogether and abstractly bundle needing references and refreshers into the way recipes and skill gain are handled now. Instead of further increasing the grinding in an already grindy game with experience decay or material wastage, implement a simple system that tracks how long it's been since you used a given skill to complete a task of appropriate level (e.g. crafted a level 5 tailoring recipe using your level 5 tailoring skill, or reinforced something with Kevlar, or whatever). If it's been quite a while, your skill list should say (rusty) next to that skill, and completing a level-appropriate task should just take a decent chunk of extra time and spit out a couple of "wait, did you forget a step?" and "you pause, trying to remember how you did this last time" messages (anything of lower level is unaffected because it's second nature by now and also because gently caress pointless tedium). Having a book with the relevant recipe, or a skillbook of your skill level or higher, on hand reduces the additional fumbling-around time to almost nothing ("you consult your copy of <book> to refresh your memory.") After doing that a couple of times (possibly more, depending on just how rusty you are), you get a "you feel more confident with <skill> now that it's fresh in your mind again" notification and everything functions normally.

Then include a toggle to disable that system and have it disabled by default, because the whole concept of a game that starts to quietly unplay itself if you don't regularly push a button while playing it is fundamentally ridiculous and bad. The option is there for those with an appetite for pointless inaccurate hyper-detailed simulationism, and everyone else can just play the drat game and get on with crashing their atrociously fuel-inefficient survivormobiles into tiny shrubs and damaging individually tracked bolts in the engine block or something.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 29, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

That's a good idea, I would like that a lot, I think.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, I think you and I are basically in the same mindset with it. There's just some skills that make no sense to rust, while others -- after a certain level -- would easily be forgotten after some time not using them.

That's basically identical to the Dwarf Fortress system. If you don't use a skill, you don't lose levels, but it does get rusty and the next time you make something it's lower quality and takes longer, but after 2-3 crafts it's back to normal.

You could even tie it into intellect. Higher intelligence, skills rust slower, and knocking rust off is faster because your character is just more naturally adept at not forgetting things.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I approach skull rust from a different (gamist) perspective. Without skill rust toe skills only ever go up, meaning that over time every character becomes omnicompetent at everything. Limiting how many things one person can be good at preserves character distinction.

The current system does that but making it so that if you ignore a skill to obsessively practice another you will lose your edge. It is, however, very annoying.

I would make it voluntary. The more total skill points you have, the slower you gain xp. You can mark a skill as obsolescent, in which case it starts decaying until you say stop. About skill not so marked means you are diverting part of your attention to keeping it current and will not 'rust'.
This way you can choose to be a jack of all trades or master a few.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 30, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I have a hippie van I was loading up with gear so I could book it back to base and have time to let my broken leg heal. Unfortunately I seem to have run down the battery so the engine won't start.

How the hell do I use my handheld batteries to charge a vehicle's batteries?

e; ahaha welp, a zombie hulk just rocked up and punched me a couple times and I had no ammo left, :rip:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 30, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mister Adequate posted:

How the hell do I use my handheld batteries to charge a vehicle's batteries?

Like so many things, this was deemed too fun Unrealistic, and is no longer possible in the latest version. You need either jumper cables and a nearby vehicle with charge (I think, never used jumper cables), or a charged vehicle battery and the tools to install it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, jumper cables basically work like they do in real life. You attach one end to a dead battery, and one end to a car with a working battery that is turned on, which will charge the dead battery.