Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Having just downloaded Idle Mage Attack, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of beginner's guides or anything to it. I'm specifically looking for suggested spell loadouts in the early game, or at least some rankings to more easily determine what is good and should be getting my XP and what is bad and should be kept in the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Idle Mage Attack is probably the best mobile exclusive idle. No cash grabs, no need to babysit, and a well-executed unique set of mechanics. I think the only real downside to it is that it's a little obtuse how to get through some of the non-wilds content without having to grind a while (I've figured out a way to cheese raids, but dungeons are a pain in the rear end and I don't understand the portal at all).

e:

Klungar posted:

Having just downloaded Idle Mage Attack, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of beginner's guides or anything to it. I'm specifically looking for suggested spell loadouts in the early game, or at least some rankings to more easily determine what is good and should be getting my XP and what is bad and should be kept in the bag.

Inferno is really good if you put Tempered Magic on hold long enough to raise Expedient Recitation to the point that Inferno never shuts off (ER 5-7 levels higher seems to be about right). I also like Meteor for being able to trash entire squads and do some damage to otherwise untouchable bosses, but Shock Net is potentially much better in the first department since it hits all enemies. That said you actually want to level all your spells to at least 1.5 because each rank gives not only an active benefit but also a passive that works even when you're not using the spell in your loadout.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 23, 2016

pelao
Apr 21, 2010
Oh hey Idle Mage Attack is actually out on IOS now. Nice.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Idle Mage Attack is probably the best mobile exclusive idle. No cash grabs, no need to babysit, and a well-executed unique set of mechanics. I think the only real downside to it is that it's a little obtuse how to get through some of the non-wilds content without having to grind a while (I've figured out a way to cheese raids, but dungeons are a pain in the rear end and I don't understand the portal at all).

e:

Inferno is really good if you put Tempered Magic on hold long enough to raise Expedient Recitation to the point that Inferno never shuts off (ER 5-7 levels higher seems to be about right). I also like Meteor for being able to trash entire squads and do some damage to otherwise untouchable bosses, but Shock Net is potentially much better in the first department since it hits all enemies. That said you actually want to level all your spells to at least 1.5 because each rank gives not only an active benefit but also a passive that works even when you're not using the spell in your loadout.
Actually, never turn off Tempered Magic. If you are, for example, 7 levels of Tempered Magic behind Expedient Recitation, you'll have 2.26x cooldowns, at the cost of 4.77x damage per cast. This is awful because enemy armor is a flat reduction of your damage, to a minimum of 5% of your original hit. Most mobs are stated to have around 3-5% of their max health in armor. Here's some math i posted on the subreddit:

So let's say a mob has 1000 health and 50 armor.
If you TM is equal to ER and you kill the mob in one hit you do 1050 damage. At 7 levels behind, you do 220 damage per hit for a net of 170, meaning you need 6 hits to kill a mob. At 2.26 times cast speed that's still almost 3 times longer to kill a mob. It only gets worse as mob health goes up.

You will get a lot of cooldown boosts as you unlock new spells and level them up. Spell passives are cumulative and all apply whether the spell is equipped or not. Most of my spells are at level 2.5 or pushing into Mark 3 and my cooldowns are around 0.66x with equal TM/ER.

There is one build that actually relies on absurdly fast cooldowns, which is just equipping 5 icy prisms and spamming them. Icy prism takes 10% of the damage taken during its 1 second windup and adds it to the damage of the hit, so multiple prisms winding up stack multiplicatively until you stack enough damage for the kill. That's the only time you skip Tempered Magic.

For builds, it really depends on what's available to you. It takes a good while to earn all the spells through daily critical raids, and using runite to buy more raw spellstones. There are only a few spells that are genuinely bad -- icicle is just a worse chain lightning, conduit is hard to build around, summons are great but need at least 50% faster cooldowns, and Torrent never seems to have enough time to stick to mobs and deal damage. Otherwise just use what you like and try to give every spell a turn in slot 1 to build up your passives.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Knowing that Passives work whether the spell is on your bar or not makes the decision easier, at least!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Actually, never turn off Tempered Magic. If you are, for example, 7 levels of Tempered Magic behind Expedient Recitation, you'll have 2.26x cooldowns, at the cost of 4.77x damage per cast. This is awful because enemy armor is a flat reduction of your damage, to a minimum of 5% of your original hit. Most mobs are stated to have around 3-5% of their max health in armor. Here's some math i posted on the subreddit:

So let's say a mob has 1000 health and 50 armor.
If you TM is equal to ER and you kill the mob in one hit you do 1050 damage. At 7 levels behind, you do 220 damage per hit for a net of 170, meaning you need 6 hits to kill a mob. At 2.26 times cast speed that's still almost 3 times longer to kill a mob. It only gets worse as mob health goes up.

You will get a lot of cooldown boosts as you unlock new spells and level them up. Spell passives are cumulative and all apply whether the spell is equipped or not. Most of my spells are at level 2.5 or pushing into Mark 3 and my cooldowns are around 0.66x with equal TM/ER.

There is one build that actually relies on absurdly fast cooldowns, which is just equipping 5 icy prisms and spamming them. Icy prism takes 10% of the damage taken during its 1 second windup and adds it to the damage of the hit, so multiple prisms winding up stack multiplicatively until you stack enough damage for the kill. That's the only time you skip Tempered Magic.

For builds, it really depends on what's available to you. It takes a good while to earn all the spells through daily critical raids, and using runite to buy more raw spellstones. There are only a few spells that are genuinely bad -- icicle is just a worse chain lightning, conduit is hard to build around, summons are great but need at least 50% faster cooldowns, and Torrent never seems to have enough time to stick to mobs and deal damage. Otherwise just use what you like and try to give every spell a turn in slot 1 to build up your passives.

Hm, alright. It's super annoying to be stuck waiting for spells to shoot off while taking hits but I guess that's still outweighed by the damage loss. Is spell experience gain influenced by cooldown speed at all, though? Might still be worth it to idle at lower TM since I'm there anyway if so.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Hm, alright. It's super annoying to be stuck waiting for spells to shoot off while taking hits but I guess that's still outweighed by the damage loss. Is spell experience gain influenced by cooldown speed at all, though? Might still be worth it to idle at lower TM since I'm there anyway if so.

Spell experience is a flat gain modified by which slot the spell is in, and whether you're on idle mode

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just started on Idle Mage and I'm not sure what I'm doing. Are there some good spells I should be socketing to build XP early?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Early on you won't have a ton of spells and you'll be getting new ones rather slowly. Focus on getting enough XP to get all the passives for the spells. As you do this you'll see how spells work and what situations they're useful in, which gives you a better feel of what kind of loadout you'l want later.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Speaking of web and stuff, are there any decent portals out there? Kong seems to be popular for some definition of the word. I like how all them stupid flash games make my laptop go nuts after few minutes.

My game doesnt do that. Yet. Some progress has been made, got a bunch of mechanics working, saving, offline progress, research, building, minions and a good one, clicking on stuff. Incremental progress if you will.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Kongregate is the only one I know of, yeah.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Idle Mage is neat but has the same issue that most mobile idle games do in that it has godawful progress if the app isn't open and running.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Kongregate slows my entire computer to a halt if a single tab is opened to Kongregate without ad block running. Since the only way to get that nice 100% production bonus in Realm Grinder was to turn adblock off I had to stop playing the game. Kongregate sucks.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

TTBF posted:

Kongregate slows my entire computer to a halt if a single tab is opened to Kongregate without ad block running. Since the only way to get that nice 100% production bonus in Realm Grinder was to turn adblock off I had to stop playing the game. Kongregate sucks.

Load the page with ad block enabled and disable it before you click on the in game ad button.

It doesn't refresh the page so only the one iframe with the iap ad or production ad or whatever loads.

the auschwitz diet fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 26, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Cinara posted:

Idle Mage is neat but has the same issue that most mobile idle games do in that it has godawful progress if the app isn't open and running.

You can put spells farther to the left to increase their XP gain. That 100%/50%/25%/etc. stuff isn't for show, if a spell you really need to rank up is going slow put it farther left. There's later ways to increase your idle XP too, one of which is gained by a currency you only get through idling.

e: re Kongregate - the only other major candidate I can think of for a portal site is Newgrounds, there's others but none that have anywhere near the same potential huge player base. If you're not worried about how big your base is without having to advertise beyond where you're sticking it there are lots of places you can go for hosting. As for RG I'd say that non-event business doesn't require watching ads, but I'm not into active play past 10 minutes and got used to the workaround failing half the time anyway so YMMV.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 26, 2016

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

What currency is that? Do you need to unlock it?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Klungar posted:

It's called money.
You earn it while you're at work instead of playing video games.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

the auschwitz diet posted:

Load the page with ad block enabled and disable it before you click on the in game ad button.

It doesn't refresh the page so only the one iframe with the iap ad or production ad or whatever loads.

As an addendum, the production thing lasts four hours. So you gently caress around with turning adblock off and getting it to run, get your production bonus going, manually save, then (making sure adblock is back on) refresh the page again to be extra free of ads. And then you can go back to ignoring that for the next few hours.

The game itself isn't too bad on resources (though it's apparently not the most elegantly coded thing in the world, to put it mildly, if room 2 chat is to be believed), but Kong ads if left unblocked will murder any browser given enough time.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's called money.
You earn it while you're at work instead of playing video games.

But I can't idle at work and the upgrades take years to earn and all the managers are way too expensive to buy :(

Whoever released work needs to do a balance patch, thanks in advance

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Klungar posted:

Wisdom, and you unlock it after I guess wave 30 or something. It's only 50% extra but you can boost the time it's active to a day and a half or so.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

You can put spells farther to the left to increase their XP gain. That 100%/50%/25%/etc. stuff isn't for show, if a spell you really need to rank up is going slow put it farther left. There's later ways to increase your idle XP too, one of which is gained by a currency you only get through idling.

The first part has literally nothing to do with idle progress though? I am well aware of how the spell xp works, but the issue is that according to the stats in game my active spell xp rate is 100/s and idle is 4.17/s. It feels like if I close the game my progress comes to a halt outside of research or enchanting.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

the auschwitz diet posted:

I'd tried with disabling adblock on the page and that had caused a refresh, but I tried now with just pausing adblock and that worked fine. Thank you.

Vil posted:

As an addendum, the production thing lasts four hours. So you gently caress around with turning adblock off and getting it to run, get your production bonus going, manually save, then (making sure adblock is back on) refresh the page again to be extra free of ads. And then you can go back to ignoring that for the next few hours.

The game itself isn't too bad on resources (though it's apparently not the most elegantly coded thing in the world, to put it mildly, if room 2 chat is to be believed), but Kong ads if left unblocked will murder any browser given enough time.

The amount of time it takes for the ads to murder my browser is less than the time it takes the commercial to play.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

TTBF posted:

The amount of time it takes for the ads to murder my browser is less than the time it takes the commercial to play.

Bad as Kong's ads are, they're not that bad in a vacuum. I'd look into RAM and CPU usage on the computer before and after this, if going from ad-blocked to watching one single ad is all the more it takes to singlehandedly push your computer past the tipping point.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vil posted:

Bad as Kong's ads are, they're not that bad in a vacuum. I'd look into RAM and CPU usage on the computer before and after this, if going from ad-blocked to watching one single ad is all the more it takes to singlehandedly push your computer past the tipping point.

Well, a good chunk of the games are poorly optimized, so you're getting hit from both ends.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Vil posted:

RAM's good but my CPU is pushing four or five years at this point. Kongregate's ads cause Chrome to take up an entire CPU core. I don't have the money to upgrade my entire computer at this point.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So is there a brief synopsis of what the gently caress the magma mechanic is in Trimps? I just hit 230 for the first time and suddenly there's a dimensional generator or... what?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Teddybear posted:

So is there a brief synopsis of what the gently caress the magma mechanic is in Trimps? I just hit 230 for the first time and suddenly there's a dimensional generator or... what?

As far as I can tell: you have a generator now and every Magma space you clear it will fill with fuel when in Gain Fuel mode, and Magmite when... etc. I believe you need to still have fuel to gain Magmite. Magmite's a new currency to upgrade the generator which will create more housing for your troops automatically every X seconds, using fuel in the process. It's basically a way to automate an otherwise tedious process at that tier to a point.

So I've cleared all the masteries, am I to assume I'm just done with Trimps now, or am I missing an obvious thing? I got into this at just the wrong time to be steamrolling when 4.0 hit, drat.

edit:

a) Yeah I may be too overpowered for current content
b) I laughed, which is a nice touch in games like this

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 28, 2016

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
How the hell do people get that far in Trimps anyway? I've spent an ungodly amount of time on it and at best I can get to world 40 in 2-3~ days and reset, or if i push really hard like world 50~ in a week. All the upgrades i buy feel like a drop in a bucket when it comes to 40+ worlds, especially when each progressive cooperation upgrade i'd need to progress requires increasing wormholes which means any helium gains are less, and all the weapon prestiges require like 10 hours of metal production each so they just start to build up far faster than I can buy them.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

How the hell do people get that far in Trimps anyway? I've spent an ungodly amount of time on it and at best I can get to world 40 in 2-3~ days and reset, or if i push really hard like world 50~ in a week. All the upgrades i buy feel like a drop in a bucket when it comes to 40+ worlds, especially when each progressive cooperation upgrade i'd need to progress requires increasing wormholes which means any helium gains are less, and all the weapon prestiges require like 10 hours of metal production each so they just start to build up far faster than I can buy them.

do the dailies instead. Im doing 2-3 day run as i dont baby sit it and im only around 130-140, but with the right daily im getting 1.2m helium and i dont buy wormholes at all.

I think artianistry or something like that reduces the cost of prestiging weapons/armour, not sure what lvl challenge that is though.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Wolpertinger posted:

have you done the size challenge to get the carpentry perk yet?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I started playing Trimps again using autotrimps. Is autotrimps supposed to be dumb at the start of each run? It keeps putting trimps as scientists before scientists are unlocked, while ignoring everything else. I had to manually tell it to make a lumberjack (as in, I had 1 farmer, 0 lumberjacks, and yet it said I had multiple trimps working. Turns out I had 10 scientists before researching scientists).

Greyman
Apr 20, 2005

Wolpertinger posted:

Carpentry and the Balance challenge will be your friends. These are my perks just after clearing level 40 in 7 hours, so with this setup you should be able to go a little faster.

Edit: I'm buying multiple weapon / armour upgrades sub 25 or so to fly through the early game. I'm also using shield block to help me get to 25 seeing as I'm not going much past 40. Also, do your void maps on level 40 so they get double helium too.

Greyman fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 28, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Randalor posted:

I started playing Trimps again using autotrimps. Is autotrimps supposed to be dumb at the start of each run? It keeps putting trimps as scientists before scientists are unlocked, while ignoring everything else. I had to manually tell it to make a lumberjack (as in, I had 1 farmer, 0 lumberjacks, and yet it said I had multiple trimps working. Turns out I had 10 scientists before researching scientists).

That seems odd behaviour but I wouldn't put it past AutoTrimps from behaving poorly when you are really early in the overall game because it was never intended to be used then. The sweet spot I keep recommending for full use is hitting the first helium challenge (Balance?).

EDIT: ^ Also yeah, shield block is a perfectly acceptable choice for pre-60 runs. Post-60 there is a mechanic that makes block less efficient plus eventually going shield HP will be more efficient than shield Block after a certain number of prestiges.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 28, 2016

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I have Balance unlocked, I just haven't completed it (because I'm a dumbfuck who keeps forgetting to actually select it when I portal). If I manually control it for the first bit, then let Autotrimps take over, it seems to work fine, it's just dumb as rocks after I portal.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Randalor posted:

I have Balance unlocked, I just haven't completed it (because I'm a dumbfuck who keeps forgetting to actually select it when I portal). If I manually control it for the first bit, then let Autotrimps take over, it seems to work fine, it's just dumb as rocks after I portal.

It's not made for that part of the game, that's why. The game opens up a ton later early game is a bit of a slog but also teaches you pretty well how to play and adapt to challenges. The early game had a victory screen at 60. There is a reason you break the planet and everything changes at that point. Auto Storage is also at 75 now. You are probably taking the portal too late or don't have your He spent well. Multiple short runs are often better than 1 long run. 1 Long run is easier to manage but the longest run you should be doing is 1 day most of the time unless you can't play as much for a day or two because of real life. Then you probably want to setup a goal for your deep run. Try and check in to do some map farming to get more upgrades and switch to progressing a few zones for 10 minutes on your busy day to make the most of a deep run or else it's just going to be a longer run that barely goes any further. But real life happens.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Another thing to consider is installing AutoTrimps but turning off every single automation option, notably so you still get its graphing function. Look at your Helium per Hour graph, and - assuming you're playing actively, obviously adjust this accordingly if you're not - portal when that's peaked and is starting to consistently dip.

Beyond that, it may be an issue of perk distribution. Could you post a screenshot of your perks screen?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Greyman posted:

Carpentry and the Balance challenge will be your friends. These are my perks just after clearing level 40 in 7 hours, so with this setup you should be able to go a little faster.

Edit: I'm buying multiple weapon / armour upgrades sub 25 or so to fly through the early game. I'm also using shield block to help me get to 25 seeing as I'm not going much past 40. Also, do your void maps on level 40 so they get double helium too.

I've got carpentry, but haven't focused on it much more than the other traits - I've got a perhaps bad tendency to try and spread the helium out fairly equally, except for the two that can max out (agility and relentlessness) which I've been pushing as high as possible.

I haven't tried Balance because it sounds like it'd make the game way harder and I already barely get to 40

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 28, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
As a rule of thumb, until you unlock Coordinated you want as much as half your helium in Carpentry because it both gets you more resources, lets you get more coordinations, and compounds with itself. Then a third of the remainder in Resilience (since it also compounds), then you can split the rest more or less evenly since all the rest are much weaker.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
Is looting still good? I just started 2 weeks ago and because of different versions, some say looting is the most important and some others don't even mention it at all. I think i'm just pushing Z40 so I'm not high at all and i'm pretty much splitting most of my he between carpentry/looting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Looting is significantly (but not hugely) better than all the other additive perks because it affects helium gain. I was just keeping my rule of thumb simple.