Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

When I get the word to ban everyone in this thread who makes low content posts, it'll be fitting that the last ban I request is my own.

gently caress I've never made a content post in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

When I get the word to ban everyone in this thread who makes low content posts, it'll be fitting that the last ban I request is my own.

First they came for Eonwe, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a spinning elephant.

Then they came for Derek and I did not speak out—
Because I was not an internet warlord.

Then they came for the Shitposters, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a sh...

Wait a second.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
you all clamored for the retard who doxxed people and celebrated him.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ArfJason posted:

Your gimmick is dumb, you are dumb, feel dumb, dumbo.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

I wasn't talking about the "sanctity of the ignore list". I was talking about this specific rule as it applies

But since you - as admin - banned me without cause, and just because you felt like it, rules, like facts, are useless I guess.

Jesus Derek, just give it a break. You're being a spergy Don Quixote tilting at a poo poo windmill.

ArfJason posted:

No, we have never clamored for MoMA

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

Be more specific

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sappo569 posted:

Derek he already have you the reason , he doesn't like you

Now if I've learned anything from star citizen and how to moderate forums , if you don't like someone you just ban them

Indeed.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

I wasn't talking about the "sanctity of the ignore list". I was talking about this specific rule as it applies

But since you - as admin - banned me without cause, and just because you felt like it, rules, like facts, are useless I guess.

STAHP

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

Coolest pair of quotes I've ever got.

gently caress, you just "same"d my previous post then jump right back into this?

Chill, guy.

:smuggo:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

D1E posted:

As lovely as Star Citizen is, I would play it every day of the week if my only other choice was LOD. And I bet so would 99% of all gamers.

If Star Citizen were playable, that is

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ArfJason posted:

MY LIFE FOR SMART!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Christmas comes early to the Star Citizen thread.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Is it still doxxing if theyre not a real person, I'm referring specifically to the middle aged Norwegian

Like uh "criminal fraud unmasked" is not quite the same as collecting and disseminating private information with intent to harm

JUST SAIYIN

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Not this again.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Is it still doxxing if theyre not a real person, I'm referring specifically to the middle aged Norwegian

Like uh "criminal fraud unmasked" is not quite the same as collecting and disseminating private information with intent to harm

JUST SAIYIN

I think the point is the mods dont want to read through every asperger hell dump to see if they did or did not in fact break the law.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DogonCrook posted:

I think the point is the mods dont want to read through every asperger hell dump to see if they did or did not in fact break the law.

Isn't that what they do as mods already ?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4X2jqX1Ygg

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

DogonCrook posted:

Also it doesn't have to be doxxing to be breaking that forum rule.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Sappo569 posted:

Isn't that what they do as mods already ?

i guess, I dont think any of them are lawyers though. So we could take the stance of guy who swears his lawyers think its cool, or we could not litigate legal issues on the something awful forums charge them 10 bucks and laugh at them if they have a problem with it. The system works people.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
cool. people trying to rationalize doxxing.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ArfJason posted:

Doxxing is good and cool.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Today I learned that $130 million is not enough to develop and market a AAA game.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen: There have been hiccups, some people are upset.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamesWatchdog/comments/5eufpp/the_curious_case_of_star_citizen/

quote:

The Curious Case Of Star Citizen

Quick disclaimer: I am speaking as a fan of the game and as someone who is hopeful that the game is a success. At the same time, in following the game I've observed a number of practices from CIG that could be classified as deceptive or misleading. I hope to make this thread not as an accusation against CIG but as a rough guide of things to look out for in the interest of protecting the consumer.

The most fundamental thing to keep in mind in this regard is the unique funding model of the game, which inverts some of the more innocuous practices in the industry and makes them potentially hazardous.

For instance, it is common for any videogame to experience delays, but it is not common for a videogame to receive funding based on overly optimistic estimates. In the case of Star Citizen, the release dates have been pushed back year on year, from 2014 to 2015 to 2016 to 2017, and almost always at the last possible moment. The most recent example is CIG's Gamescom presentation this August, which showcased an impressive list of features and optimizations. At the end of the presentation Chris Roberts, the head of CIG, stated that they are aiming for the end of 2016. Sales for Star Citizen quickly spiked after the presentation, but subsequent information about 3.0 has been limited. More recently (only 3 months from the Gamescom presentation), it's been revealed that they haven't even finished shooting the motion capture for the release, which means we still have quite a while to wait. Virtually no one in the community believes 3.0 will make its 2016 date. Yet there has been no official statement from CIG that the timetables have not been adjusted.

From this and numerous other examples we might conclude that Chris is either very naive about these release estimates, as he misses them broadly and consistently, or that he is aware that putting a shorter release estimate is good for sales. I cannot read his mind so I cannot answer this question myself, but it is largely irrelevant. The important point is that potential consumers should remain vigilant when it comes to taking CIG at their word about release windows. Expect a release not months but years after CIG projects a date.

There are other reasons to be suspicious as well. In the past, CIG's funding has relied on the good will of their backers, and they have made multiple assurances to those backers in order to maintain their loyalty. Recently, however, CIG has been scaling back on those assurances (more here: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/355007/we-didnt-fund-a-company-we-funded-a-game-remember-the-pledge). Many backers have stored up hundreds of dollars in store credit over the years, and these backers have been assured that they will be rewarded with the best deals on ships. Yet more recently, CIG has begun to offer cash only discounts on ships, effectively reversing their promise to those who have been most loyal to the company. While the details of this reversal may seem minor to those outside the community, there is a feeling of unease amongst backers that CIG is on a slippery slope. It is hard to know whether these recent changes are motivated by funds drying up or merely a need for a bigger warchest, but they are doing so at the expense of their credibility amongst their own.

In addition to all this, early 2016 saw the release of a new ToS from CIG that was quite bravely anti-consumer. Whereas previous ToS's promised accountability in terms of a financial audit and the option of a refund if the game was not delivered in a certain amount of time, the new ToS completely denied the opportunity for a refund regardless of their ability to deliver a product. All customers who signed up under this new ToS are out of luck if things were to go south.

CIG's funding model is exciting because it is essentially selling an ambitious vision rather than a product. But there is a danger lurking in the exchange. The model allows CIG to make fantastic promises at the outset with almost no accountability when it comes to delivering on them. For this reason, I think a "watchdog" approach is warranted with regards to the enticing new promises CIG are sure to make in the years to come.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

D1E posted:

You have revealed yourself to be a doxxing, petulant, whiny, insecure, desperate and tedious little "Internet Warlord", Derek. Go play in your own message boards, since you can't even be entrusted with enough responsibility to be a moderator on a real forum.

You know what's really funny? As lovely as Star Citizen is, I would play it every day of the week if my only other choice was LOD. And I bet so would 99% of all gamers.

derek smart is a big baby weirdo who apparently blocks everyone not currently encouraging/enabling him

this thread is bad for encouraging/enabling him

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

happyhippy posted:

Open Whaling Frequencies

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Generation Internet posted:

derek smart is a big baby weirdo who apparently blocks everyone not currently encouraging/enabling him

this thread is bad for encouraging/enabling him
Way to not be a big baby about it.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen: There are other reasons to be suspicious as well

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

thatguy posted:

Way to not be a big baby about it.

thank you

edit: OFFICIAL STATEMENT

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

ArfJason posted:

Derek Smart did nothing wrong :godwinning:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
its friday night guys, you know what time it is!!!
*a group of incredibly cool internet people spend all night reading tedious long posts on reddit and some retarded forum about the bad videogame*

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

you know, in retrospect, derek smart is a loving jackass

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

ArfJason posted:

*a group of incredibly cool internet people spend all night reading tedious long posts on reddit and some retarded forum about the bad videogame*

Cool guy poster here. I'm here to tell people who is a cool poster and who isn't.

Beyond the Grave
Jan 25, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

you know, in retrospect, derek smart is a loving jackass

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Pilz posted:

>Stanford

IF I HEAR ABOUT THAT GODDAMN DOCTORED POS 'EXPERIMENT' ONE MORE TIME I'LL probablly get really impotently angry again as I always do.

What are these experiments and do I want to partake? I refuse to jfgi and rely on your goon knowledge to guide me in these dark Starless nights. The brown space is brown and I must not ever star into the abyss.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ArfJason posted:

Ya but imagine how cool it would be to be mad at those guys though.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

cool new Polack jokes posted:

JUST SAIYIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Also, if anyone is interested in the changes you can view the diff here:
https://www.diffchecker.com/ucNCNlQy

quote:

MUSIC LOGIC SYSTEM
Delayed due to Illness

Also a bunch of stuff got delayed to December 2 and December 8. CIG is well known for getting a feature tested and released in 4-10 days. The kicker is that two things have been delayed to December 13, a day after release lol.

• Locked thread