Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You're going to have a hard time eating for two at Hawksmoor on a budget of £80. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lemon-Lime posted:

You're going to have a hard time eating for two at Hawksmoor on a budget of £80. :v:

Express menu?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
My vote is for Zedel. You can get a set menu for about £19 which is painfully French (may be plus or minus). This is Jay's review in the Graun: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/19/jay-rayner-restaurant-review-brasserie-zedel

Last time I visited there was after a ball because it was the only place still serving cocktails that you wouldn't look weird in black tie at. I am a poor student and we managed about 2 cocktails each before running out of cash, so...

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Lunch at dinner. £35 a head at one of the top 10 in the world

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

I'm going to London in early January with my boyfriend. He says we can go to one nice restaurant while we're there, with a budget of $100. What would you recommend if you could only eat at one place in Lindon? I'm really overwhelmed given the sheer number of choices.

If you're doing lunch and like Chinese, I wholeheartedly recommend Imperial China. It's located on a backstreet between Leicester Square and Chinatown, tucked away a little so isn't one of the many mediocre tourist traps and has a brilliant dim sum menu served at lunch. In fact, I am going there tomorrow with my girlfriend for my birthday lunch to grow fat on dim sum and legless on sake.

For either lunch or dinner Barrica is a good choice; a cozy tapas bar on Goodge Street. One of my favourites that maybe pushing the budget a smidge if you go a la carte is MASH, just off Piccadilly Circus, but they have a competitively priced pre/post theatre menu too plus it's really cool inside and has a fantastic bar. If you're in the mood for an unashamedly decadent burger, you cannot go wrong with either MeatLiquor on Welbeck Street (near Oxford Street) or its sister restaurant MeatMarket (Covent Garden) imho.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I'd say Hoppers for that kind of budget.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
No way, the suggestion for the lunch menu somewhere swanky is brilliant.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Lunch at dinner. £35 a head at one of the top 10 in the world

Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, I guess you mean?

Can heartily recommend, it's probably the best meal I've ever had.

You might need to book a ways in advance though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've been out and about, and unusually meat-hungry Yesterday I passed by Red's BBQ in Great Eastern St and had lunch. I had some good smoked chicken (even the breast, which I usually abhor for dryness, was juicy and delicious), but the beef rib was inedibly dry. (I don't eat pork). It was from the end. When asked how the meal was I told the waiter, who told me (unhelpfully) that I could have ordered it medium instead. I thought that was a very poor response. The next waiter asked me too, and his response was to apologise and ask if I wanted some ice-cream on the house. I accepted. The ice cream was OK but the popcorn flavour had far too many kernel shells in it. I appreciated his gesture though. I did not enjoy the BBQ greens, and the sweet potato cornbread was OK. Not a great meal, especially for bloody £17. (Oh, and they proudly advertise corn-fed USDA beef. COWS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO EAT CORN. THEY SHOULD EAT GRASS. THEN THEY WON'T NEED AS MANY ANTIBIOTICS AND STEROIDS, AND WILL TASTE BETTER!)

Today I walked past Ma Pluckers on Beak St and gave it a shot. I had buttermilk-dipped fried chicken with waffles and mashed potato (ultimately unnecessary), and maple chili glaze sauce. The chicken was crispy on the outside, moist on the inside, and not oily. The mash was pretty good but I thought tasted a bit of marge. The waffles were crispy and good. The sauce seemed like maple syrup with chili. I'd never had the chicken and waffles combo and I quite liked it. I wasn't sure quite what to expect of the food but I really rather enjoyed it and thought that it was done well and with care.

Oh, I've just remembered - Granny's Caribbean Takeaway on Stroud Green Road does really good goat curry with rice and peas ("plenty gravy" if you want if) and a drink for £4. Good eatin'.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ive looked at Ma Pluckers a couple of times, but it seems pricey. How much chicken do you get? Because they always seem to talk in singular terms.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Spuckuk posted:

Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, I guess you mean?

Can heartily recommend, it's probably the best meal I've ever had.

You might need to book a ways in advance though.

Yes. I've been 3 times for lunch since it opened and I've always been able to get a midweek table even with fairly short (<week) notice but maybe I've been lucky.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I've got a gig in Sloane Square on Saturday and I'm looking for somewhere to eat beforehand, is there anywhere reasonably close which isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Ive looked at Ma Pluckers a couple of times, but it seems pricey. How much chicken do you get? Because they always seem to talk in singular terms.

It was actually two reasonably-sized pieces. Once it came I realised I didn't really need the mash. I thought the value was pretty decent. Far better than Red's.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I have to say that I love this thread. I'm taking notes for when I inevitably come back again.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

therattle posted:

It was actually two reasonably-sized pieces. Once it came I realised I didn't really need the mash. I thought the value was pretty decent. Far better than Red's.

I basically live opposite Red's, so have been there a few times. Service has always been a bit rubbish but friendly, and the food is average and overpriced. On the other hand, they were very accommodating when I locked myself out and had to wait for my girlfriend to come home and let me in on a Sunday evening - I was able to chill without really ordering anything.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tentish klown posted:

I basically live opposite Red's, so have been there a few times. Service has always been a bit rubbish but friendly, and the food is average and overpriced. On the other hand, they were very accommodating when I locked myself out and had to wait for my girlfriend to come home and let me in on a Sunday evening - I was able to chill without really ordering anything.

The main guy who served me was very friendly and pleasant; he was the one who got the ice cream. I thought the other response to a complaint about food was pretty awful, actually. I'd agree with your assessment of the food.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Doing some research fieldwork in the city tonight, and dinner is on an expense budget. Anyone been to Missouri Angel near Tower Hill? It looks decent, but also open to suggestions of other places around there worth trying. Completely open to any cuisine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Doing some research fieldwork in the city tonight, and dinner is on an expense budget. Anyone been to Missouri Angel near Tower Hill? It looks decent, but also open to suggestions of other places around there worth trying. Completely open to any cuisine.

"Authentic American menu" - if American means 'regular food, slight emphasis on steak'.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Most of Chinatown and Soho knocked out by the power cut tonight.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I'm going to Assado in Waterloo next week, anyone been? I'm not paying, which is nice. Goan/Portuguese/Brazilian sounds a little busy.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

I've got a gig in Sloane Square on Saturday and I'm looking for somewhere to eat beforehand, is there anywhere reasonably close which isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg?

It's a wasteland sorry

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

Jay Rayner gushed about A Wong which is a 20 minute walk.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Shout out to Ichi-Riki on Stratton Ground opposite New Scotland Yard. I may have raved about it on here before but I reckon this is the best place for sushi & a small selection of other Japanese dishes on a £20-30 budget. It's tiny and cramped but it's very good indeed.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yes. I've been 3 times for lunch since it opened and I've always been able to get a midweek table even with fairly short (<week) notice but maybe I've been lucky.

I went a few years back when it was just opening, which probably explains the booking!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Does anyone know it Atari-Ya (formerly Sushi Hiro) in west London is still open? That was easily the best sushi I've had anywhere in the UK.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Does anyone know it Atari-Ya (formerly Sushi Hiro) in west London is still open? That was easily the best sushi I've had anywhere in the UK.

Apparently so, and thriving: http://www.sushibaratariya.co.uk/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I miss the early 2000s craze of soup shops.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

The_Doctor posted:

I miss the early 2000s craze of soup shops.

I went through Old Street station the other day and saw a place called Nincom Soup. They have a Bitcoin ATM in there. Maybe they serve Soylent in there too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Flux Wildly posted:

I went through Old Street station the other day and saw a place called Nincom Soup. They have a Bitcoin ATM in there. Maybe they serve Soylent in there too.

Christ. :cripes:

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Atariya's deluxe chirashi is the best value sushi anywhere in London. It is what I get every single time I have a celebration. Also SKY (part of atariya) is the best JP-UK importer, their sake is always really nice.

Went to On The Bap today and it's good, but I strongly recommend never to go there except at peak off times. We rolled up at 6pm on a Monday evening and had to wait an hour for a table for 3.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

There's a "lifestyle" store in Croydon selling vape gear and bicoins. And I assume hover-boards and fedoras.

I ate at Bao today! Went alone so could slip past the queue, really enjoyed the confit pork (6th best dish in London according to Time Out, I learned after the fact) and fried chicken buns, and the sweet potato chips. Well worth a go I'd say.

Also, if you're near China Town and fancy good, cheap Japanese I recommend Misato on Wardour street, £6 gets you a huge katsu curry or katsu teriyaki, which I didn't know existed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also, if you're near China Town and fancy good, cheap Japanese I recommend Misato on Wardour street, £6 gets you a huge katsu curry or katsu teriyaki, which I didn't know existed.

Misato is amazing and has been my little secret for years. After 6:30 the queue can run past next door's window though.

I had lunch at Yoshino on Shaftesbury Ave. 12 gyoza for £3 is a steal.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Hell yes I'm going there

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Misato is amazing and has been my little secret for years. After 6:30 the queue can run past next door's window though.

I eat that gyoza all the loving time.

Edit: to complete the trifecta, I like the sushi from the Rice Wine Shop, just south of Golden Square/North of Picadilly.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 29, 2016

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

There's a "lifestyle" store in Croydon selling vape gear and bicoins. And I assume hover-boards and fedoras.

I ate at Bao today! Went alone so could slip past the queue, really enjoyed the confit pork (6th best dish in London according to Time Out, I learned after the fact) and fried chicken buns, and the sweet potato chips. Well worth a go I'd say.

Hang on, is that Mr Bao in Peckham? They serve all those dishes.

I went very soon after opening and just before I left the country for 6 months. Have recently returned and the place is RAMMED every time I go past it.

They're very nice in there so I'm pleased they're doing well but it's just round the corner from my house and I'm sad it's impossible to 'pop in' now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
London goons, anyone want some ouzo? We have some Greek friends who bring us a bottle whenever they come to stay. We don't like it! I'm in Finsbury Park and in Soho and surrounds fairly often.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I'll take that off your hands! I'm in outer London, but come into central about once a week and would be more than willing to detour for booze.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Anae posted:

Hang on, is that Mr Bao in Peckham? They serve all those dishes.

I went very soon after opening and just before I left the country for 6 months. Have recently returned and the place is RAMMED every time I go past it.

They're very nice in there so I'm pleased they're doing well but it's just round the corner from my house and I'm sad it's impossible to 'pop in' now.

No, it's just called "Bao", it's in Soho with another in Fitzrovia, and I think a tiny popup somewhere

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/bao

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I'll take that off your hands! I'm in outer London, but come into central about once a week and would be more than willing to detour for booze.

Do you have pernod, marmalade and salt?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I dread to think about what you're doing to that poor pastis with your marmalade and salt. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do you have pernod, marmalade and salt?

I have clove 'liquer' and some dixies dream, I think I'm set :haw:

Alternatively I do have some very piquant brussel sprouts.