Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I bought a couple of close-out no-brand electric screwdrivers that come with a 5v wall wart and a barrel connector and just smooshed a USB socket in instead and ditched the chargers, now I have USB charging screwdrivers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill
Loving my new makita set so far. More powah is more gooder.

On the topic of Dremel I bought on the the off brand ones a few years ago and have never had a problem. I did run it hot for a little too long at one point and started to melt something but it hasn't shown any signs that it messed anything up inside.

I can't be bothered to go find the post about the guy that was installing lights in his new barn, how is that project coming along?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I bought the Harbor freight dremel, then cracked it open and soldered over the traces on the PCB leading to/from the speed pot and mosfet, as those are usually what burn out first.

I've abused the poo poo out if it since. No problems.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tony Doughnuts posted:

I can't be bothered to go find the post about the guy that was installing lights in his new barn, how is that project coming along?

Oh hey, that's me, and the lights are baller af, especially when you go down there well after sunset, a short walk through the dark, and you hit the lights and it's all BAMMMMMMMMM. I was waiting to finish out the last row on each end, the rows closest to the end walls, since I needed to leave those bays open for stairs at one and and a garage door at the other. Got sort of used to it just being ever so marginally dimmer at each end for the longest time. The other night, I slapped up one of the rows and jeebus h it's so much better, just three little lights can make a huge difference. Also I got the floor all epoxied up, pretty happy with that.

Four of the six rows of overhead lights:

Also had a garage door put in, it's a Garaga.

I got it with a high-lift kit so instead of going across the lower ceiling and covering my lights and shortening my 9.5' headspace, it goes right up into the attic which is extremely awesome!

Last but not least, it's about a 100' walk from my back door to the barn, and I was finding that roughly 90% of the time, I would forget my keys. Problem solved with a cipher lock, extremely pleased with this decision.

Now I just need to finish studding out the walls and get some insulation in there because holy moly it's getting cold fast.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I want to buy a drill/driver combo during the Black Friday sales.

Dewalt, Milwaukee, Ridgid and Makita all have 18v combos on sale for $150.

I'm thinking Dewalt or Makita. Any opinions?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

TheMadMilkman posted:

I've been very happy with my 12v Milwaukee set, and have used the 18v versions at work. If I was starting over though, I think I would have gone with the 18v Milwaukee or Makita for that extra bit of power. I originally went with the Milwaukee for the diverse array of tools, but I have since realized I probably won't ever need a 12v cordless PEX crimper, IR camera, or bluetooth radio :geno:

Also, I think the DeWalt 18v is being discontinued for their new 20v line

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

That looks absolutely awesome dude! Can I come over? :allears:
What kind of layout are you going to do Floorplan wise? Workbench in the corner? Pegboard, shelves, cabinets?

TheMadMilkman posted:

I just bought the makita set. The brushless is 299 for drill and driver with 2 batteries,charger and a free tool of your choice. Comes in a nice vinyl plastic case too ( can't find any casting marks so I don't know if it's glass fiber reinforced or not) my personal bias is makita > dewalt. Also dewalt has an extremely ugly color scheme. If you're choosing between the two, Makita is my vote.

Super Waffle posted:

Also, I think the DeWalt 18v is being discontinued for their new 20v line

This also true. Truth be told there's not much of a difference in power between the 20v and 18v dewalt. From teardowns I've seen the dewalts are built down to a price. They're not bad by any means but you're not getting any real bang for your buck

Tony Doughnuts fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 23, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

One Legged Ninja posted:

It may not be as ubiquitous today as a micro USB, but unless they literally rolled their own plug, a Coaxial power connector is hardly proprietary. :bahgawd:

vvv: Yeah, I know. I can fondly recall the days of searching over the house for the one wall wart that fit whatever gizmo I was playing with. Today's generation just has it too easy.

Nah, you're absolutely right, and I do have a universal dc charger set with variable voltage adapter, but seriously, in twenty loving sixteen, a 5v lithium charger input doesn't get any more standard than some flavor of USB. I don't want to bust out my calipers to measure the 2.5mm adapter and then search for a comparable charger with the correct gauge positive pin. poo poo just infuriates me to no end, especially as you're guaranteed to lose the charger at some point.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 23, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tony Doughnuts posted:

That looks absolutely awesome dude! Can I come over? :allears:
What kind of layout are you going to do Floorplan wise? Workbench in the corner? Pegboard, shelves, cabinets?

Sure thing...god forbid you find yourself in central Iowa, hit me up.

As for layout, it's up in the air somewhat. Gonna move some stuff in and start setting things in place and working on it from there. There will BE a plan, I'm just not there yet. At the very least, I'm going to try to keep the stuff most in need of heavy dust collection along the same wall as the big DC there for ease of ducting, just up into the attic and along the wall, with drops as needed.

I do plan to put French clear panels along pretty much the entire perimeter. Loooooong rear end workbench along one wall or another.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Tony Doughnuts posted:

This also true. Truth be told there's not much of a difference in power between the 20v and 18v dewalt. From teardowns I've seen the dewalts are built down to a price. They're not bad by any means but you're not getting any real bang for your buck

There is no difference - the 20V is at no load and the tools actually operate equivalent to 18V. It says as much right on the product packaging and the 20V line is sold explicitly as 18V in Australia where "deceptive" marketing is illegal (or something)

That said I don't recall hearing anything about Dewalt straight-up discontinuing the old style of tools, they're even still producing new tools for the old post-style batteries and have an adapter to use the new slot-style batteries in the post-style tools.

That said the Dewalt "20V MAX" tools are fantastic and if you can find the deal for a free tool along with the drill + impact combo that's a retarded deal. Grab the cordless sawzall or oscillating tool and it's an awesome deal.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

TheMadMilkman posted:

I recommend you try to plan ahead, see what each manufacturer has in their product line and what it contains of cordless tools you'd like to buy down the line. Sharing batteries is a big cost saver and is just the practical thing to do. Of course for corded tools, you shop around in each case to find the best fit. I've been very satisfied with my Makita tools, but each manufacturer you mention makes good products (never handled Rigid myself though).

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I've had some ridgid cordless tools for a while and have been completely satisfied. I'm not sure if they're really any better or worse than the other big brands.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Ridgid includes a hammer drill, if that's important to you. They also warranty batteries for a lifetime and will apparently replace them when they go bad from what I've read.

The Makita set that Home Depot is selling is not currently on their website, which makes me wonder if it's a special Black Friday only SKU. Not sure if that should be concerning or not.

The Milwaukee set is already at $150 on their site if you want to buy early and beat the friday crowd.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of black friday, any particularly great tool deals out there? I bought a shop vac from lowes last week, but I haven't found much else that's too exciting yet

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Went Milwaukee for the 18v and super happy with the circular saw, sawzall, LED lights, and handheld blower I wound up with. Not sure if all those are available with other lines.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Ridgid includes a hammer drill, if that's important to you. They also warranty batteries for a lifetime and will apparently replace them when they go bad from what I've read.

The Makita set that Home Depot is selling is not currently on their website, which makes me wonder if it's a special Black Friday only SKU. Not sure if that should be concerning or not.

The Milwaukee set is already at $150 on their site if you want to buy early and beat the friday crowd.

I did some more digging and it looks like the Makita combo comes with low capacity batteries. I'm no longer considering that one.

This is a Christmas present from my dad. I tried to talk him into the $299 deal, but it didn't work. I might put $150 of my own money into it, though. A drill, driver and sawsall covers 95% of my usual cordless needs. I also might drop down to the $99 drill and worry about other things later.

I'm going to head to Home Depot tomorrow and at least put my hands on the different options.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

Makita definitely has a larger selection of tools than dewalt or rigid. Dewalt is focusing more on their 60v line than expanding the 20v line. The DeWalt 18v is becoming harder and harder to find batteries for. They'll probably stop manufacturing them next year.

They do make an adapter to use the 20v battery on the 18v tools. Since as was said they're pretty much the same.
Rigid is made by the same company as ryobi and Milwaukee so if you're not a fan of either don't get them. They all come out of the same factory with similar parts and designs.

Main point is you'll probably be happy with any of them for your usage, I personally just like makita more as I feel they put a little more care into their design and build. The main appeal you're going to see from dewalt is the 60v batteries can be used on the 20v tools and will last a long time on each charge since it's just 3 20v in parallel

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

uwaeve posted:

Went Milwaukee for the 18v and super happy with the circular saw, sawzall, LED lights, and handheld blower I wound up with. Not sure if all those are available with other lines.

Both Makita and Milwaukee have pretty great selections for random battery tools, like string trimmers and stuff. Generally speaking, I'd say Dewalt is more focused towards basic contractor tools with less overall selection.

Just not as big a fan of Milwaukee since it is a wholly Chinese owned and manufactured brand, so there's not the same level of engineering and innovation.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I did some more digging and it looks like the Makita combo comes with low capacity batteries. I'm no longer considering that one.

Keep in mind that 3 amp hours is more than sufficient for pretty much whatever task you're doing, and you likely won't even need the second battery. If you do switch out batteries, they charge so fast, it'll be ready by the time you're done anyways.

Half the convenience is the smaller heft and size, and you can always pick up larger batteries if need be, but I doubt you'd run out the smaller ones on most homeowner-esque jobs you'd be doing anyways.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 23, 2016

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
If you're not looking for a universe of tools, the dewalts are pretty bombproof, and it seems like 90% of contractors use their drills/drivers.

But as said above, they do not have the sheer number of specialty tools that Milwaukee/riobi has.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Keep in mind that 3 amp hours is more than sufficient for pretty much whatever task you're doing, and you likely won't even need the second battery. If you do switch out batteries, they charge so fast, it'll be ready by the time you're done anyways.

I was under the impression that the combo they had on sale came with 1.5 or 2.0 amp batteries. Not sure, though.

I'm about to call my dad and then head down and take a look at things. Hopefully I like something that's already on sale, rather than dealing with the Friday morning mess.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TheMadMilkman posted:

I was under the impression that the combo they had on sale came with 1.5 or 2.0 amp batteries. Not sure, though.

They are 3ah batteries, I bought the kit the other day. Been using it on my bathroom remodel, big improvement over my PC kit.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ended up with the Makita $99 drill and a good set of drill bits, which I desperately needed. It ended up being between Makita and Milwaukee, and I can't really say that my choice was rational, but I liked how the Makita felt in my hand a bit better.

DeWalt didn't have a demo area set up in the store, but that's fine by me. I've held a grudge against them since they cost me a job as a PC sales rep back in 2004. They announced the buy out the day before I was supposed to be extended a job offer.

I'll buy an impact driver as soon as I come across a job that really needs one, or for my birthday in April, whichever comes first.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
For the money is the Ridgid portable table saw that's on sale at Home Depot, the right choice? I have a super crappy small job site Delta table saw that gets me by for rough cuts, but it's not very precise and is frankly just a pain to work with. I don't have dedicated work space, so a cabinet saw or something of that nature is a no go, so something that is built on a stand is quite appealing. Should I jump on this while it's on sale, or hold out for something else?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-15-Amp-10-in-Heavy-Duty-Portable-Table-Saw-with-Stand-R4513/100090444

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Falco posted:

For the money is the Ridgid portable table saw that's on sale at Home Depot, the right choice? I have a super crappy small job site Delta table saw that gets me by for rough cuts, but it's not very precise and is frankly just a pain to work with. I don't have dedicated work space, so a cabinet saw or something of that nature is a no go, so something that is built on a stand is quite appealing. Should I jump on this while it's on sale, or hold out for something else?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-15-Amp-10-in-Heavy-Duty-Portable-Table-Saw-with-Stand-R4513/100090444
I really haven't had any good experiences with Ridgid. Poor build quality, and really unimpressive customer service (the only time they responded to me was when I contacted them on social media, after numerous emails went unanswered). The only time where I'd be willing to tolerate not-so-great build quality is if the price is cheap and it's backed by good service (or a generous replacement policy). I'd suggest saving your $$ and getting something better.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 24, 2016

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Falco posted:

I have that saw and it's alright. It's the only table saw I've ever owned though so it's hard to compare. It does get pretty good reviews and it's usually set up pretty well from the factory apparently. I think mine might be slightly out of alignment somewhere but I haven't taken the time to figure out how exactly. At the time that I got it I had to get a portable saw due to working in a car port and having to bring it inside when done. Now I have a garage shop so I'd probably go for a non collapsible one, probably something old and heavy off Craigslist.

If you look up the rigid forum there's an extensive thread about those saws with some good info. Also keep in mind the ridgid lifetime warranty can be troublesome. You have to register within a set amount of time after buying and repairs can be a pain, I remember reading about a common issue with motors dying and there being a month's long backlog of tools waiting to be fixed at the repair depot.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Sample size of one, but my experience with Rigid tools had been godawful. Awhile back I bought an expensive inspection camera with the "lifetime warranty", and it lasted exactly three uses (just long enough to get over the return by date) before the camera bit went all screwy. Now, every time you bump it, the screen blanks out and it's a crapshoot whether it'll boot up again at all.

I've tried reaching out to customer service multiple times, but still haven't heard a single thing back. Lifetime warranty my rear end, never again buying anther one of their shoddy tools with useless warranty and service.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Well it looks like the crowd has spoken, no Ridgid saw for me. I'll continue with the tiny Delta for now and see if I can squeeze out a little garage space for something a little larger in the future. Eventually I would love dedicated shop space, but for now I have to share the garage with the cars and everything else.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I'm trying to decide which impact driver bit set to buy. I had my eye on this DeWalt set, but picked up this Milwaukee for much cheaper today at Home Depot. Looking at what each set includes, it appears that the DeWalt focuses on the core phillips on torx sizes (14 #2 phillips bits, in total, for instance) whereas the Milwaukee set spreads things includes a wider range of bits including hex bits. I can't recall ever seeing screws I'd want to use an impact on with with hex or weird sized torx, so my inclination is to go for the DeWalt, but I'd appreciate some opinions from some more experienced users.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

At least in my line of work I use torx bits semi-regularly and having decent ones for an impact would be awesome I'll probably be picking up that set

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Two days ago the Makita five-tool combo kit was $300. Now it's $350 or more. What the hell.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Tony Doughnuts posted:

At least in my line of work I use torx bits semi-regularly and having decent ones for an impact would be awesome I'll probably be picking up that set

All sizes or just the sizes used in things like deck screws? What do you do out of curiosity?

BTW, the Milwaukee set is a black friday thing. They may be on sale through the weekend, but if you're set on them I'd order one for pickup today.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Two days ago the Makita five-tool combo kit was $300. Now it's $350 or more. What the hell.

It was on sale for the week before BF.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Christ is there any way to avoid or shorten the rechargeable tool talk? Page after goddamn page of Makita vs dewalt

Just loving buy one already, if you don't like it return it. If you're a home user you'll never push them to their limits anyways, if you're a contractor you'll have your own opinions.

How much time are you guys even spending more than 20 feet from an outlet? Just buy corded tools as you need them. If your jobs are small enough that they can be handled by a plastic thing you can hold in one hand, it's a small job. Buy whatever. You won't be able to buy batteries and chargers to match eventually anyways, they're consumer goods with a calculated lifetime.

Face it, your rechargeable tools are going to spend 99.99% of the next ten years collecting dust on the workbench in your garage. Eventually you'll buy some new ones, from whatever is available then.

They're all made in the same factory anyways.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hey, look. Tool chat in the tool thread!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Uncle Enzo posted:

Christ is there any way to avoid or shorten the rechargeable tool talk?

You can always unsubscribe from the thread.

e: f;b

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Uncle Enzo posted:

Christ is there any way to avoid or shorten the rechargeable tool talk? Page after goddamn page of Makita vs dewalt

Just loving buy one already, if you don't like it return it. If you're a home user you'll never push them to their limits anyways, if you're a contractor you'll have your own opinions.

How much time are you guys even spending more than 20 feet from an outlet? Just buy corded tools as you need them. If your jobs are small enough that they can be handled by a plastic thing you can hold in one hand, it's a small job. Buy whatever. You won't be able to buy batteries and chargers to match eventually anyways, they're consumer goods with a calculated lifetime.

Face it, your rechargeable tools are going to spend 99.99% of the next ten years collecting dust on the workbench in your garage. Eventually you'll buy some new ones, from whatever is available then.

Nothing matters, death is certain

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I own plenty of tools that outlived their original owners. Rechargeable tools won't. They were designed not to.

Tools: Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee: Just pick one Jesus

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hubis posted:

Nothing matters, death is certain

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Uncle Enzo posted:

Overly angry, but I tend to agree.

Except for drills/drivers. If you have a corded drill, you're a degenerate of the highest order and I feel like the most rational way to deal with you is an annual Purge night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You can pry my corded drill from my cold, dead hands. gently caress drilling holes in metal on a battery.