Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

ShadowDragon.jpg

these growth rates :suicide:

I feel like I remember some pre-7 games having jaw droppingly poor growth units, like nothing over 40% and most things under 35%. Doesn't Jagen roll with like a bunch of zeros and some fifteens?
E: it was actually four 10%s and then all zeros in the original, good lord.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, early growths were pretty low. Stat caps were also lower back then. Stat growths had just been going up until FE11 which was a huge shock and probably another reason it was so disappointing. I mean, the Dawn Brigade gets growth totals of 380%. They're pretty high compared to other characters but 380% is crazy when compared to the ~300% of FE7. Nino comes in 310% and she's known for crazy growths.

Meanwhile, Shadow Dragon's growths rates are a hell of a lot lower. I'll leave it to the OP if he wants to actually drop the growths for each character later.

Also, Radiant Dawn has some odd growth patterns. It almost looks like the growths in Fates, with them being so skewed.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Re-reading your previous LP got me to replay Heroes of Light and Shadow lately, so I'm glad you're doing Shadow Dragon, now. This game can be so incredibly dull if you don't play around with reclassing, meaning I'm already voting for a Jagen Bishop. :catholic:

Taciturn Tactician posted:

My main experience is in 7 and 8 so this sounds like an insane thing to say. Is the unit and scenario design just really different in this game?
One thing this game does change up to make archers better, especially on higher difficulties, is that hit rates are higher on average, and with less variance. So chipping from a distance is more valuable, and since mages are rare and more of a nuking solution, it makes archers a bit more attractive early game. Plus, like its spiritual reverse-successor Binding Blade, wyvern units are a bit of an ubiquitous inconvenience here.

Archers and Horsemen are still pretty dang bad on difficulties that aren't Lunatic Reverse, but they're less of a waste of space than in FE8 for instance.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Miacis posted:

This game can be so incredibly dull if you don't play around with reclassing, meaning I'm already voting for a Jagen Bishop. :catholic:

This was my first FE and I never even touched that. The only reason I touch it in 13 is because screw wasting EXP. Guess it kind of bothers me that this dude can train 20 years to use a bow, and then start swinging a sword with the best of them the moment hes told to.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Mysticblade posted:

Yeah, early growths were pretty low. Stat caps were also lower back then. Stat growths had just been going up until FE11 which was a huge shock and probably another reason it was so disappointing. I mean, the Dawn Brigade gets growth totals of 380%. They're pretty high compared to other characters but 380% is crazy when compared to the ~300% of FE7. Nino comes in 310% and she's known for crazy growths.

Meanwhile, Shadow Dragon's growths rates are a hell of a lot lower. I'll leave it to the OP if he wants to actually drop the growths for each character later.

Also, Radiant Dawn has some odd growth patterns. It almost looks like the growths in Fates, with them being so skewed.

And then there's Gaiden, where the best growth rate in the game (by a wide margin) is 220.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Mysticblade posted:

I'm probably not going to give out exact growth rates for each character in the updates because I get kinda wordy/screenshot heavy as is. But if anyone is interested, serenesforest.net has a section on Shadow Dragon (and...every other Fire Emblem) with exact growth rates, if you want to delve into the detailed stuff.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
For a comparative reference point for people looking this up independently, Cain/Abel/Frey are all considered to have good growths.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
More Art
More Growths
More Anime
More Reclassing
More Blink Animation
More Puns

Looking forward to these, because God knows it's the only way to make FE11 much more interesting...
Without of course...Hard 5 :getin:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Prologue 3: The Three Cavaliers

Look at these nice title cards. I don’t have to make my own, which is fantastic when you’re as lazy as I am.

This is another short map, the prologues don’t really have much meat to them in the gameplay department. We’ll get to play with two new characters, though.

So from now on, chapters come with art and narration on the top screen, and a map on the bottom. I’m not sure why this doesn’t apply for the first two prologues only. The part of the narrator will be played by future Jagen because I’m dedicated to this stupid bit it is convenient.

: However, this success would mean little to him once he learned the cost. The boy’s woes were just beginning.

: These scratches? It’s my pride you’re wounding sire. …Anyway, we must talk. There’s a reason I’ve returned. …Sire, I am…I am to deliver to you His Majesty’s last words.

I may have accidentally spoiled this earlier, but I’m not really worried about spoilers in Shadow Dragon and come on you all guessed this already.

: My condolences sire. The king died valiantly on the fields of Gra. The traitors took from him the divine blade Falchion and gave no quarter to those of our soldiers who remained…

: I…I see…So they’re all dead. Father, too…

: His last words were as follows:

“Tell my son that I leave the future of Altea and our continent in his hands. He must rise now where I have fallen. As Falchion’s rightful heir, he has been born into greatness…Now…he must be great.”

Marth’s dad is the kind of guy who tells his kid he wishes he’d become a doctor on his deathbed.

: ...Father. I will try…

: …Sire, I…I cannot bear this! Failing to protect His Majesty…then leaving my brothers to die, slinking away like some coward…This indignity is too much to bear! One day I will repay them in kind. I will avenge the fallen…I swear it!

I like the characterization they give Cain here, but because it’s Shadow Dragon this pretty much never comes up again.

: Cain, you speak for us both. When that day comes, we will punish them together.

The game highlights an example of a house for you, in case you’re playing this game in your underground cave network and have never seen one of those.

: Your countrymen love you; perhaps they have knowledge that may serve us.

So this map’s a little bigger than the last two. You start off in the top right, and have to make it to the upper left.

Unfortunately, there are 10 Gra soldiers blocking the path! It’s...not that big a deal, but let me try and be dramatic here.

So this chapter introduces us to the infamous Jagen. He looks pretty good, right?

Jagen is a Paladin, which is the Promoted version of a cavalier. While units cap at level 20, they can Promote to a higher class with an item. This raises their stats, sometimes gives new weapon options, and lets you level to 20 all over again. Jagen’s what’s commonly referred to as a “Pre-Promote”, he’s already promoted, so he effectively has 19 less opportunities for level ups. To compound the problem, his growth rates are among the worst in the game.

Jagen is a trap. If you’re new and use him to solve all your problems, you’ll be stuck with an awful unit and a bunch of underleveled, neglected characters. This has forced many a restart for new players. That said, he’s not entirely useless. Jagen has great movement and starts with a B in lances, giving him access to the powerful Silver Lance. You can use him to visit houses or villages, or chunk down enemies to let weak units get the kills. Just don’t take him too far.

Note for anyone playing a Fire Emblem game, if you get a Paladin around the first few chapters, and they’re some kind of mentor figure? Be warned, it’s probably a Jagen.

Let’s see what advice the villagers have for us.

...What job did you have? :stonk:

Hitting the X button displays the ranges of all enemies on the field. It’s handy.

I’ll start moving my units in there to get countering.

Cain’s new, and he’s much like Abel, but on average a little tankier with higher HP and Luck, while Abel leans toward big hits using Skill and just a tiny bit more Strength. They’re both great choices, and can easily fit in your team.

So, let’s just let them come at us.

Jagen, I can see that.

: Elice will have no way to escape…Let’s seize that fort across the water. Perhaps we can squash enemy reinforcement at the source.

Anyway, these soldiers still aren’t a huge threat. One rushes Marth.

It wasn’t a good plan.

Abel can start chipping away at this Archer with his Javelin while the rest of the group can’t reach him yet.

So let’s check out another house. I won’t be visiting all of these, but this one has a special place in my heart.

This guy basically flat out tells you to avoid the Jagen trap. What a helpful guy! Apparently in the original FE3: Book 1, (which I haven’t played, so I can’t confirm) he just says “DON’T USE JEIGAN”.

Then Abel missed.

And he missed again! I just talked up your skill!

Still, I mop them up pretty quickly, and we can move on to the next quadrant of the stage.

Mostly Axe users over here, so I’m putting my cavaliers on swords.

Well, there’s also this guy, but he wasn’t an issue.

Yikes, though, those Hand Axes do about triple the damage of anything we’ve seen so far! They’re inaccurate, however, and Frey dodged.

Since these Fighters can be a little obnoxious, I’ll show off some Jagen use to bring one of them down.

Poke. That’s got him at 2 HP. Also no, Jagen’s battle model is not purple and yes, I am angry about it.

If you look at the Level and Experience thing under Jagen’s name, you’ll see that chip damage only got him 6 XP, less than any of our other units would get at this point. There’s a penalty for fighting lower leveled units, which is another reason not to use the experience vacuum.

I’ll give the kill to Marth instead.

I am immediately rewarded! That’s a good level! That’s the first good level!

: We’ll need to approach carefully.

Oh, there are mages across that bridge. The camera pans over to them, but...I missed it. I’m sorry, I was excited about that level.

Finishing off the stray archer gets Frey a good level too. Wow, what a world it is outside Altea Castle!

So, Mages. Mages hit HARD, mostly because their attacks deal with the Resistance stat, which pretty much nobody in this game gets aside from a few select classes. A powerful mage in the endgame can melt even the tankiest units, quite literally. They can also attack from either 1 or 2 range, meaning they don’t have the same drawback Archers do.

However, you might also notice that Marth can kill this guy in one round, even though he’s on a Fort that boosts his defense.

Mages are made of tissue paper. High damage physical units will shred them.

I did accidentally leave Marth in the range of the other Mage, though. This is the kind of slip up that could screw me over later, but he doesn’t do enough damage to kill Marth anyway, so it’s not a big deal.

Well, not to me. Abel apparently took offense.

With the mages down, we’re all clear!

:toot:

Oh hey, it’s that guy from the last chapter.

: Why aren’t you with my sister? Did you leave her someplace safe?

: ...Princess Elice will not be joining us. She has elected to stay at the castle.

Marth actually tries to run back, and Malledus steps in his way here. It’s a neat little detail, and the kind of thing the prologue does way more than the main game.

: Where do you think!

: Stop! Sire, consider for a moment why the princess would go as far as to lie to you to ensure your escape. Your sister knows that you are the future of Altea- nay, the whole land!

: …!

Marth, I don’t think 10 minutes ago is the kind of thing that deserves sepia tone.

: I’m...our future…

: Sire… You must live. Drink deeply now of these injustices; sup on these slights they serve. Remember them! One day you will lead us back here to avenge the fallen and reclaim Altea in their names!

: Then it seems my life is no longer mine to hazard.

: In your veins flows the blood of a hero- the blood of Anri. You are a son of House Archanea, and sole heir to Falchion- our only hope of defeating Medeus, Emperor of Dolhr. Sire, were’t in my power, I would have you choose your own path...but I’m afraid your path has chosen you.

Ominous enough.

Next time, the final prologue, and a harrowing choice*!

*That won’t really matter because I’m not using this file for the main playthrough anyway.

Since last time’s bonus content focused on Abel, it’s probably only fitting that today I give us a little Cain.

The Red Knight, Cain

I like this one better than Abel’s, looks less flammable.

Edit: Also sometimes he's a motorcycle.

(thumbnailed because it's huge.)

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 27, 2016

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Its an art to make this game seem actually interesting. I remember Tenacrane's LP with Barst wielding the twin hammers of Time and Space.That was beautiful.
Here's to some more good times dealing with SD's shortcomings!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Careful, I need these for update titles. Please Wrystrain yourself.

Finne, if you Innesist.

LordHippoman posted:

The game highlights an example of a house for you, in case you’re playing this game in your underground cave network and have never seen one of those.

You laugh, but your grandchildren will be thankful as they do just that after the Trumpocalypse :v:

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Is everyone starting to see why Marth decided to purge Malladus from his memory between this game and its sequel?

Good.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I sometimes dream of 11 done as lovingly as 12. They had the exact same starting point, but 12 added supports, thus actual character interaction, much more new characters to enjoy and is generally better at everything else by far as well.

I hope they remake 4 for FE15, and give it atleast as much love as 12, maybe add a gajillion quality of live improvements.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
This game's my favorite of the series even though 12's better on a technical level. I really do prefer the simpler systems as opposed to going all out with skills the games after the two remakes did.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Momomo posted:

This game's my favorite of the series even though 12's better on a technical level. I really do prefer the simpler systems as opposed to going all out with skills the games after the two remakes did.

That's fair. For me it was mostly the super :effort: in the plot and characters with this one, but I'm a big dork who really loves that stuff. If you're just in it for the gameplay, the basic systems still work fine.

I also thought Fates went a bit overboard with the amount of skills and new mechanics and such. I actually still haven't finished Revelations because I got really burned out.

Sjs00 posted:

Its an art to make this game seem actually interesting. I remember Tenacrane's LP with Barst wielding the twin hammers of Time and Space.That was beautiful.
Here's to some more good times dealing with SD's shortcomings!

I never got to see those threads, but I heard whispers of the FE12 one while I was playing it, and I don't think I'm good enough to get to that level of hijinx, but I will try.

vilkacis posted:

Finne, if you Innesist.

See, those aren't Archanea characters, go wild with that. I Garontee I won't interfere.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 26, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Calling it now, the crazy old man we met at that village was a berserker from the time when Jagen was a fresh-faced cavalier.

Unfortunately, his growths tanked harder that Jagen's did as time wore on, hence why he's old and frail now.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AradoBalanga posted:

Calling it now, the crazy old man we met at that village was a berserker from the time when Jagen was a fresh-faced cavalier.

Unfortunately, his growths tanked harder that Jagen's did as time wore on, hence why he's old and frail now.

I think that FE6 Karel would argue that age doesn't always mean loss of growth rates, what with his 950% growth rate total.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I think that FE6 Karel would argue that age doesn't always mean loss of growth rates, what with his 950% growth rate total.

He drank the sacred water of potential, but he drank it too late in his life.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

True, but that was Elibe. This is Akaneia, things are very different over here.

Alternate argument: Marcus.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So did Nintendo just want to give Marth an official release outside of Japan with FE11?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

True, but that was Elibe. This is Akaneia, things are very different over here.

Alternate argument: Marcus.

So, Flavia (430), Basilio (415%) Tiki(540%!) and Gregor (400%) are the relevant counterarguments, then?

(I'd bring up Frederick, but like Titania before him, he seems to be in the late 20s to early 30s range, which is only old by JRPG standards.)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

I like bloodthirsty Old Man way better than like half the characters we will actually recruit in this game, and he has more dialogue.

MythosDragon posted:

He drank the sacred water of potential, but he drank it too late in his life.

"actually murder is bad and I'm nice now" is a revelation that just skyrockets all of your growth rates.

Also, and I'll edit this into the update, I can't believe I almost forgot about the time Cain turned into a motorcycle.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

LordHippoman posted:

I like bloodthirsty Old Man way better than like half the characters we will actually recruit in this game, and he has more dialogue.

It honestly amazes me that I enjoy these games sometimes, I'm firmly in "The more dialouge, the higher quality the game" territory, yet I still love Fire emblem. Gotta give this game some slack though, it technically is older than me, no slack for 10 though, 10 doesnt deserve any.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

10 has loads of specific conversations even though the english script cut out things. I remember Fedule showing off a lot of them in his LP of 10, but it's been a while.

And we haven't even got to the best generic yet. I'm looking forward to seeing him again! :allears:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Prologue 4: Sacrifice

So, we’ve got the final Prologue chapter today. I like this one quite a bit.

: lying low while they waiting for the right chance to escape the kingdom. Before long, the enemy grew less watchful: the time to slip away had come. Still, the prince could not quell the sadness in his heart for his sister Elice.

Also his mom. Seriously, Marth’s mom is just so neglected by the game.

: Huh? ...Oh. Malledus.

: Get ahold of yourself, Sire! I know how you grieve, but the Gra host that pursues us will not be interested. We must keep moving, and with all haste at that.

Apparently they weren’t very good at hiding in the woods or lying low.

: I…I’m sorry. These thoughts are hard to put aside.

Another emergence of Blinking Marth. The harvest will be bountiful this year.

: Talys… I’ve heard the name. An island kingdom to the east, isn’t it?

: That is correct. The king there was a good friend to your father- and perhaps more importantly, a true friend. It was Princess Elice’s wish that you seek refuge in Talys should things ever go awry.

: Me, but not her…

: I’ve arranged for a boat to take us from the northeast shore. But to get there, we’ll first need to cut through a prison to the north. I managed to come by a key to the premises. Let me hand it over.

Altea is a kingdom where everything is frequently blocked off by massive structures for little reason. When your only claim to leadership is “my grandpa killed a dragon”, I guess you aren’t super qualified with civil engineering your kingdom.

Oh, this will be handy. (It’s mandatory.)

: Now, on the road, you may notice people who seem to be fighting for Gra against their own wishes.

This is good advice! In the Fire Emblem games, lots of potential allies will appear as enemies. Sometimes you’ll have to talk with them before they join your side.

This map isn’t exactly complicated either. Picture a reverse L. We’re going right, then up. It’s moderately guarded.

Perhaps most notably, this is our first map with a real boss! For, uh, certain definitions of the word. Bosses are typically named...I guess “Captain” is sorta halfway there.

So, I’m trying to park most of my units in the woods, because as you can see in the terrain overview in the bottom right of the top screen, it gives them +10 to avoidance. Terrain is a pretty significant detail on some maps. Keep in mind that forests also cost more movement points to move through, especially for mounted units, but...the game never really tells you that. Maybe a house does, I don’t know.

The exception to this mass forest excursion is Jagen, who’s off to visit another house.

Alright, I’m going!

This little cutscene triggers at the start of the Enemy Phase.

: Yes, sir. Not many of ’em, but the scouts say they’re a tough bunch all the same. And guess who’s with ’em…

: …You’re saying the prince is coming this way?

: Yes, sir. How ought we proceed? The main force ‘as yet to arrive, and- to be honest, sir- we need ’em.

: Bah! You’re cowed too easily. We can win...if we set a trap.

: Er...a trap, sir?

: The prince of Altea will be ours. Just do as I tell you, and we’ll pluck this royal plum long before the main force can show up to steal all the glory. Heh…

So, uh, the forests?

Turned out to be a good idea, because Cain dodged every single attack that came at him. I have good feelings about our red haired friend on this adventure.

After their phase ends, it’s another cutscene! There are a lot of them on this map. But this one is great.

Ah, Ruffian. Get used to Ruffian.

Don’t worry about this guy.

: Heh. I thought Altea was the great ‘ero Anri’s kingdom! Didn’t take more’n a couple of days to break you, now did it, Gaggles?

: Mmph! Arrumph!

: Ba ha ha! I’ll letcha in on a little secret. Altea’s little princeling is on ‘is way ‘ere right this moment.

: ….!

: Ooh, but sad for you, you look awful dangerous in the uniform… MISTER GRA SOLDIER!

I love this guy. :allears:

: Gugrrrrmph!

: Once the prince sticks you like a pig, we get to call him Marth the Tyrant, coz ‘e kills ‘is own countrymen. Won’t that be an ‘oot!

His grammar is shifting to accommodate just how aggressively cockney ‘e is.

: Rrrmph.

: So long, Gaggles! Better start praying to your ‘igher deity of choice!

I just cleaned up the remaining enemies south of the prison. Abel leveled up!

And we got an Iron Bow, but nobody can use it. Huh.

I did have to use Jagen on one guy because there was just a bit too much HP for the others to kill all of them, but I’ll take it.

Abel got a bit scratched up in that fight, so I’m moving him onto the Fort. Along with being fantastic defensive spots, forts have healing properties! You’ll see in a bit. However, some forts are villainous traitors. Again, you’ll see later.

Houses will never betray us.

This, I guess, counts as a hint towards this game’s absolutely asinine requirements for getting bonus chapters. Don’t worry, on the main run I will never accept my losses.

At the start of my next phase, Abel recovers some HP for being on the fort. This is a good way to heal up units without using consumables or a healer.

Door Keys are required to open...doors. That’s probably unsurprising.

Hm. Something’s telling me I shouldn’t just attack this guy.

I will scoot everyone in around him, though.

This special command appears when two units that can talk are next to eachother. So, let’s have Marth chat with Gordin.

Wow. Ruffian’s a prophet.

: Rrgmph mrph!

: Huh? You’ve been gagged? Here, I’ll get that… Wait, I know you! You’re one of our archers, er…

: I see. Well, I’m glad you’re unharmed. But I’m afraid we cannot stay here a moment longer. Stay behind me and-

: I can fight, sire! If you have a bow I could use, I would be honored to fight at your side.

That’s a handy coincidence.

Units next to eachother can trade items, although it does eat up the turn of the one who initiates the trade.

So, Gordin gets his Bow!

Unfortunately Gordin kinda sucks. Archers aren’t a great class, due to the restrictions of the bow, so they often need great stats to make up for it. Gordin...does not have those. Oddly, his most notable growth is probably his decent defense, which is...not really something Archers are begging for. Even reclassed, Gordin remains pretty mediocre.

At the start of the Enemy Phase… (again)

That...that looks bad.

: No...Anri save us...Of all the places to be beset! Sire, that is Gra’s main force- and they are accompanied by the knights of Grust’s Sable Order. Our chances of routing them are slim, I’m afraid, and those of slipping away undetected afterward, all but nil…

: Then we’ve no hope?

: I…I can think of one strategy. We could leave a decoy behind for when the enemy catches up.

: A decoy?

: It’s you they’re after, sire. Were one of your men to stay behind disguised as you…Well, the enemy ought to take the bait. That would give you, and the others time to escape.

: He will act as a decoy by dressing as you and luring the enemy force away.

I like that an Emergency Marth Costume is standard issue for Altean knights.

: But Malledus, how will he find his way back to us?

: Sire...He may not.

That sound you hear is that of thousands of OCD Fire Emblem players having traumatic flashbacks to this scene.

: …Well, I will find a way! You cannot expect me to agree to…to abandon one of our own to a death at the hands of the enemy. Surely there must be another way…

: Forgive me, sire…But this is our only chance. You know as well as I do that you must not die here today.

Well, I have a difficult choice to make. Or, I would, if I weren’t commentating this after I’d already done it.

This door is conveniently blocking passage until someone dies. Unfortunately I guess Marth broke the Door Key on that first one.

There is a “canon” sacrifice here.

Farewell, Frey. :smith:

Oh, hey, he took Marth’s sprite!

Two of them have met. I’m not sure the game engine can handle this much generic red guy.

: Simpletons! Use your heads! One of them ran; the other didn’t. What does that tell you? Easy! The one who stayed behind is trying to buy time for the one who fled.

: So, er…the one who took off is-

: The real prince, you idiot, yes! Hie, troops, after him! Put that craven whelp to the sword!

“Hie”? The prologue of this game does the whole faux-Medieval English thing way more than the rest of the series, for some reason.

Regardless, that huge mass of knights disappears, along with Frey.

: Frey? Wait! Frey! Quickly, Malledus, we must head south and rescue him!

: No, sire. We have to press on.

: Press on? Frey might be dying back there!

: If he were, then why would you be so selfish as to let him die in vain? Honor him, by allowing his life and his choice to mean something!

: ...Frey…..All right. I will honor him. I will go.

What is with this man and plums?

: No matter. Open the north door! We can still crush the Altean rabble he left behind…

you hosed up.

Abel whiffs two Javelins in a row. C’mon, man. Be like Cain.

Exactly.

He learned!

The remainder of the enemy Soldiers decided to try their luck against Cain. It was a bad decision.

I wish I could keep this level up. drat having to move to Hard after this.

At the start of Player Phase… (I promise this is the last one)

Villages always have rewards, unlike houses, which just give advice. Only Marth, the Lord, can visit villages, which sucks and is dumb, because in almost every previous game in the series, that wasn’t the case. But that wasn’t one of the things they updated for the remake.

Well, regardless, the Mage goes down, and only the boss remains.

Or...does he? These guys spawned during the enemy phase. This is your introduction to reinforcements. Reinforcements can spawn at the start of the enemy’s turn, in fixed locations, almost always on a Fort. They can be on a turn timer, or wait for you to cross a certain point on the map...regardless of cause, these can be some of the most deadly things in the game.

Especially on Hard and above, where they can move and attack as soon as they spawn. This will make you deeply distrust forts. They are shifty and dangerous beasts.

For all that buildup, though, these Pegasus Knights aren’t a huge deal. I’ll hold off explaining this class for a bit, because this update is getting huge, but for now, just know they can fly.

While the others move to engage the incoming Pegs, Abel challenges Captain to a duel of the Javelins.

He wins with STYLE. That’s a critical hit!

In lieu of a death quote, Captain leaves us a free Vulnerary.

The Pegasus Knights don’t hit too hard, but they are fast.

Abel hides in a corner for now.

Here’s the bonus for bows, flying units take triple damage from them. This makes Gordin suddenly good at damage! In very, very, niche cases.

Oh, I had Marth visit the village.

: Here, this is the bow my granddaughter always used. Take it, sire! Please, promise you’ll stay safe…

Later Village rewards will prove...better.

Gordin deletes the other Pegasus, though, and that’s all for this one.

:toot:

A new ally!

: Draug, is that you? What are you doing here?

Draug’s name is Guard backwards and that’s his whole character.

: I received word from Sir Malledus to ready a vessel, that we might slip away discreetly by sea.

Then the screen fades out. They didn’t want to actually make a boat. This is one of the few Fire Emblems without a boat chapter (and we’re probably better off for it, gently caress boat chapters.)

(the blazing sword one was okay)

:ohdear:

:911:

“There goes everything you’ve ever known!” Jagen’s not the best grief counselor.

: ..aven…

: I beg your pardon?

: I am a craven. Powerless to save my sister, to stanch (sic) my kingdom’s wounds; to ease my people’s fears…

: This...was your only recourse, sire. But surely, one day, you will be able to set things right…

: ”Surely”? Why do words of such conviction smack so much of uncertainty when spoken?

Marth those mean the same thing. Also worth noting, if Jagen died, this cutscene features Draug instead...with the same dialogue. :effort:

: Today, though, allow me to wallow in this pain, to feel every awful twist of it. I never want to forget.

: Sire…

: I will return, Altea! Your prince will return to you one day!

And that’s where our real story will start.

But...there’s something I want to go over here. There’s a bit of an alternate way to overcome the sacrifice dilemma. And a unit hidden behind weird gameplay decisions. Let’s check that out.

: Of course, none of that is what REALLY happened…

: Huh?

: I knew that Gaggles had to have been a spy...so I killed him with my own hands!

: ...I spoke to Gordin yesterday, Sir Jagen.

: Who the hell is Gordin?

If you kill Gordin, Jiol and his knights don’t even appear.

: Hie, let’s give them the punishment fools deserve! Open the north door! Lure them out and strike them down!

You can’t escape the “Hie”, though.

: And then Sir Cain was consumed by fireballs, sacrificing his life for the prince!

: Sir Cain is outside the door, Jagen.

(Killing Cain was actually a little annoying, the soldiers didn’t do enough damage, I had to get the mage to do it. And yes, this was on purpose. Trust me.)

Oh, also, the Rapier does triple damage to mounted units. Captain goes down like a sack of bricks against Marth's weapon of choice.

The map starts out ending the same way, but…

: Draug, is that you? What are you doing here?

If you have 4 or less remaining units, which is one death in addition to the sacrifice/Gordin, minimum, Norne appears here. This means she’s also only available on Normal mode.

: Right, we’re on our way. Sire, this is Norne. She heard wind of our struggles and wishes to fight for Altea.

Norne is an Archer, just like Gordin. She has better Speed and less Defense, which is probably better for an Archer, but she’s still not very good.

: Prince Marth, ’tis an honor. By your leave, though, I’ll be savin’ the curtsy-bobbin’ for later. Quickly, sire!

She’s also vaguely country, I guess.

Then the chapter ends as normal. This file I WILL be keeping, to do the Normal mode run for the bonus chapters on.

But all of that can wait for now. For now, we’ve finished the prologue, and next time, the main game starts. Hopefully you’ll join me!

Today’s bonus content is in honor of our fallen friend. He doesn’t have a Cipher card, but he did get special artwork for being a character debuting in the remake.

...I mean, he’s got blueish hair. Close enough to Marth, apparently.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 31, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm more upset that you let Frey keep all his items/weapons and didn't toss them to other units before letting him play sacrificedecoy.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What kind of a sadist would leave that in the remake after so many games where you never have to let anyone die ever?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I always have some questions with the whole decoy thing, namely how close did they have to get before they realized that the middle-aged man they're chasing isn't the scrawny teen-age prince? (I sacrificed Jagen, because I wanted to keep the actually decent Frey, which makes this scene much funnier to me.)

What kind of a sadist would leave that in the remake after so many games where you never have to let anyone die ever?

You mean the sacrifice? It's not in the original. The original game doesn't have the prologue.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 28, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm more upset that you let Frey keep all his items/weapons and didn't toss them to other units before letting him play sacrificedecoy.

poo poo. Thankfully that run never happened, technically.

This was added specifically for the remake. :unsmigghh:

Camel Pimp posted:

I always have some questions with the whole decoy thing, namely how close did they have to get before they realized that the middle-aged man they're chasing isn't the scrawny teen-age prince? (I scarified Jagen, because I wanted to keep the actually decent Frey, which makes this scene much funnier to me.)

Everyone in Gra that isn't a character we don't even see in this game is cartoonishly incompetent.

Also how could you.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 28, 2016

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Actually, I know that normally any dead units will leave their stuff behind in the convoy. Does that apply to the sacrifice? (Probably not, but who knows)

EDIT: Spellcheck you failed me.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

LordHippoman posted:

stanch (sic)

That is a word and it is used correctly here.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Camel Pimp posted:

Actually, I know that normally any dead units will leave their stuff behind in the convoy. Does that apply to the sacrifice? (Probably not, but who knows)

EDIT: Spellcheck you failed me.

It doesn't apply to the sacrifice. It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't apply to any Prologue deaths, considering you don't have the convoy until the main game starts.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

You did not just sell Norne short, I fell in love with her pink hair and she was my end all best unit at the end of the game alongside Athena.

The more I love a character the more powerful they get. Except Meg, she got more powerful with apathy.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Black Balloon posted:

That is a word and it is used correctly here.

This post lead me down a chain of google searches on the differences between "stanch" and "staunch" and I've had that wrong literally my entire life.

MythosDragon posted:

You did not just sell Norne short, I fell in love with her pink hair and she was my end all best unit at the end of the game alongside Athena.

I don't have a ton of Norne/Athena experience because I don't like tossing away units, even awful ones, but I just think she's outclassed when you get her. Being built for Archer in a game where Archers aren't too great hurts. I think she's easily the best base Archer in the game, but I'm not big on them. Also there are two and one is Gordin. I did ask two friends for their Norne Opinions after this was posted, though, and they agreed with you. So maybe I'm just wrong. I will be using her on the Normal Mode run, because she's an exclusive character, same with Frey.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LordHippoman posted:

This was added specifically for the remake. :unsmigghh:

That's even more ridiculous. Also outside of really hating a unit or trying to be canon, why would you not sacrifice the literal trap character? Smart of them to introduce not-Jagen to give his speech.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Between this and the infamous side chapters requirements, I think the dev team wanted to try and go back to the original game's philosophy that it's okay to lose units, and players should try to make their own story, instead of going for a perfect ending. It's pretty telling that a tutorial would have a house telling you to accept your losses, and reward you not once but twice for having dead units.

I imagine this game seemed like their best bet at curbing the "always restart if you lose any unit" mentality, seeing as FE1 had very light long-term consequences for deaths, and units didn't have much character to speak of. Unfortunately for them, it was poorly implemented with the gaiden quotas getting silly by endgame, and no story relation between the deaths and the rewards you get. (Two Knights died! Here's a country girl archer!) Not that rewarding a form of failure was a fantastic idea in the first place, either...

And so Heroes of Light and Shadow ended up backpedaling, implementing casual mode, removing incentive to losing units, and running casualty checks throughout the story that compliment the player for not losing anyone.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 28, 2016

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Miacis posted:

Between this and the infamous side chapters requirements, I think the dev team wanted to try and go back to the original game's philosophy that it's okay to lose units, and players should try to make their own story, instead of going for a perfect ending. It's pretty telling that a tutorial would have a house telling you to accept your losses, and reward you not once but twice for having dead units.

I imagine this game seemed like their best bet at curbing the "always restart if you lose any unit" mentality, seeing as FE1 had very light long-term consequences for deaths, and units didn't have much character to speak of. Unfortunately for them, it was poorly implemented with the gaiden quotas getting silly by endgame, and no story relation between the deaths and the rewards you get. (Two Knights died! Here's a country girl archer!) Not that rewarding a form of failure was a fantastic idea in the first place, either...

And so Heroes of Light and Shadow ended up backpedaling, implementing casual mode, removing incentive to losing units, and running casualty checks throughout the story that compliment the player for not losing anyone.

Yeah the first officially released in English Fire Emblem literally grades you, and survival is one of the grades. If your grade is low enough the game openly mocks you in the epilogue.

quote:

(Your Tactician's name)- Suspected Mind
As historians look back, no one understands how such incomprehensible strategy could lead to victory.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Oh my god, that is amazing. 10/10 FE7.
I just thought of something, pretty sure this game gives you generics when you run under the 15 or something units. Has anyone done a generic challenge run? Onthat note, do other games in the series give you generics if you murder everyone?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

LordHippoman posted:

I am immediately rewarded! That’s a good level! That’s the first good level!
So, funny thing about this level. You know how you said most of your guys have no resistance? That's not an exaggeration. With the exception of Marth, none of the units we have seen so far will ever gain a point of resistance (barring promotion gains and class-switching shenanigans).

Marth, though? He has a resistance growth rate.

It's 2%.

We're off to a good start. :rolldice:

LordHippoman posted:

Ah, Ruffian. Get used to Ruffian.

Don’t worry about this guy.

: Heh. I thought Altea was the great ‘ero Anri’s kingdom! Didn’t take more’n a couple of days to break you, now did it, Gaggles?

: Mmph! Arrumph!

: Ba ha ha! I’ll letcha in on a little secret. Altea’s little princeling is on ‘is way ‘ere right this moment.

: ….!

: Ooh, but sad for you, you look awful dangerous in the uniform… MISTER GRA SOLDIER!

I love this guy. :allears:

: Gugrrrrmph!

: Once the prince sticks you like a pig, we get to call him Marth the Tyrant, coz ‘e kills ‘is own countrymen. Won’t that be an ‘oot!

His grammar is shifting to accommodate just how aggressively cockney ‘e is.

: Rrrmph.

: So long, Gaggles! Better start praying to your ‘igher deity of choice!
This whole conversation is wonderful. :allears: Imagine a whole game with this quality of writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
It makes no sense why the game has such good writing initially and then just....doesn't.

• Locked thread