Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

Don't stand next to the exploding monster then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I wish I didn't have to "cure" him :smith:

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Don't stand next to the exploding monster then.
If you have the instant death skill, triggering that will make all explodey enemies blow up instantly, killing Geralt. It's bullshit I say

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ursine She-Geralt!

Bonus: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJVumnijcq8/?taken-by=taalzbeta

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
Finally, I'm done. This has been one of the most amazing fictional journeys of my life.

Thank you, CDPR.

(also, somehow loving missed Equine Phantoms, so at least one thing to do before NG+)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Nycticeius posted:

Finally, I'm done. This has been one of the most amazing fictional journeys of my life.

Thank you, CDPR.

(also, somehow loving missed Equine Phantoms, so at least one thing to do before NG+)
FINALLY I'M FREE YOU GUYS *mouse cursor already on the ng+ button*

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
;) it's even better on NG+

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

so i'm really late to getting this game, but i've successfully been able to gain enough interest in it while still learning so little that i'm going into the game totally blind. i got it on sale a few days ago and started a new game on the hardest difficulty.

this game is FREAKING HARD

i love it

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i'm still learning basic mechanics and trying to avoid getting killed by wolves, i'm getting really into exploring the world and the story. i feel like i'm in for a wild ride

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i'm still learning basic mechanics and trying to avoid getting killed by wolves, i'm getting really into exploring the world and the story. i feel like i'm in for a wild ride

Basic mechanics for wolves: Igni and dodge. Wolves and bears are extremely vulnerable to fire damage and a well placed cast can wipe out a whole pack.

In other news, I'm a idiot for not seeing the Macbeth reference staring me in the face with the Crones.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Heard someone sing to themselves 'I once had a girl or should I say she once had me' in Toussaint.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That's pretty fashionable armor there.

Man, I am just noticing all the UI changes they made since I finished the game for the first time and starting Blood and Wine.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Basic mechanics for wolves: Igni and dodge. Wolves and bears are extremely vulnerable to fire damage and a well placed cast can wipe out a whole pack.

In other news, I'm a idiot for not seeing the Macbeth reference staring me in the face with the Crones.

i can't fight a whole pack of anything

it seems impossible to survive a fight if you get surrounded on the hardest difficulty level

i tend to ride past groups of enemies on horseback and slash them a few times while trying to avoid my horse getting spooked.

once i've killed most of them or got their health down to a manageable level i will get off the horse and run around diving and rolling so i can fight them one at a time.

i just figured out how potions are regenerated but i still spend a good amount of time hunting packs of deer for meat

i keep finding things that are super basic after hours of playing and i feel like a total idiot like iv'e been playing since tuesday and i just figured out an hour ago that you can slow time by holding down the attack button while on a horse. i was trying to do it quickly all this time.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

it seems impossible to survive a fight if you get surrounded on the hardest difficulty level

dodge and roll my man

get in 2-3 sword hits, use a Sign, throw a bomb, dodge/roll the gently caress out, repeat

especially on higher difficulties you simply can't face-tank enemies, you'll die in a few hits from most anything so you just need to avoid getting hit in the first place

potions and bombs are refilled when you meditate (for one unit of alcohol) so don't be stingy with them, they're essentially free and infinite to recharge

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

i tend to ride past groups of enemies on horseback and slash them a few times while trying to avoid my horse getting spooked.

once i've killed most of them or got their health down to a manageable level i will get off the horse and run around diving and rolling so i can fight them one at a time.

i just figured out how potions are regenerated but i still spend a good amount of time hunting packs of deer for meat

i keep finding things that are super basic after hours of playing and i feel like a total idiot like iv'e been playing since tuesday and i just figured out an hour ago that you can slow time by holding down the attack button while on a horse. i was trying to do it quickly all this time.

Quen.

Quenquenquenquen.

It makes you invincible for one hit (though later you can upgrade it to take more). You roll back out when it's used up, cast it and get back in.

In no time you'll find the combat far too easy like everyone else.

Edit: also there's no need to go hunting for food pretty much every container in the game will have something to eat or drink.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Quen.

Quenquenquenquen.

It makes you invincible for one hit (though later you can upgrade it to take more). You roll back out when it's used up, cast it and get back in.

In no time you'll find the combat far too easy like everyone else.

Edit: also there's no need to go hunting for food pretty much every container in the game will have something to eat or drink.

Yeah, once you get the feel of combat it's not really that tough. It will continue to be somewhat challenging but as long as you use the appropriate tools (consult your bestiary) and dodge and roll you'll be fine.

The expansions have some much more difficult boss fights.

Don't give up! Are you still in White Orchard, Commie NedFlanders, or have you moved on to Velen? Post your reactions, the main quest line involving the Baron in Velen is one of the absolute high points of the game, it's grim and far too realistic.

White Orchard, the tutorial zone, is around 3-5 hours of content. The whole base game without expansions will clock in about 80-100+ hours depending on how completionist you are.

The game is loving huge, don't feel rushed, you'll figure things out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
When you feel the instinct to "get one more hit in before I dodge", dodge immediately. Packs are much quicker to envelop you and drain your HP than one would expect, in my experience.

Also while dodging is usually preferable to rolling, use rolling to get away from packs so you can fight individual enemies rather than the whole thing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Don't use Quen, quen sucks and you'll get sick of the combat. Use Yrden, both its primary and its alt. It slows down enemies making the dodging easier and will allow you to get that one extra hit in before you dodge.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

aard everything. aard everything forever. constantly knock them off their feet. they're getting up? aard them again. aard them across the map. aard them out of windows, down wells.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Axii. Stunlocking is cheap.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Games create such characters where you just end up laughing for a solid 30 minutes due to their actions and their personality, ftw.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

potions and bombs are refilled when you meditate (for one unit of alcohol) so don't be stingy with them, they're essentially free and infinite to recharge

I've spent hours trying to kill deer a =nd rabbits bc i couldn't figure out how to get more potions , i would never meditate bc it doesn't heal you at higher difficulties, i just figured this out and it's a real game changer thanks

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, once you get the feel of combat it's not really that tough. It will continue to be somewhat challenging but as long as you use the appropriate tools (consult your bestiary) and dodge and roll you'll be fine.

The expansions have some much more difficult boss fights.

Don't give up! Are you still in White Orchard, Commie NedFlanders, or have you moved on to Velen? Post your reactions, the main quest line involving the Baron in Velen is one of the absolute high points of the game, it's grim and far too realistic.

White Orchard, the tutorial zone, is around 3-5 hours of content. The whole base game without expansions will clock in about 80-100+ hours depending on how completionist you are.

The game is loving huge, don't feel rushed, you'll figure things out.

i got to velen but everything is too difficult so i went back to white orchard to try to find everything and level up a bit

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Heh I bet being on the highest difficulty brings a whole new level to going to some POI, seeing a red skull and 'level 18/24/30/9' and going 'ffffuuuccckkkk' out of there. I really should kick the difficulty up a notch. I'm at the point where I can kill most everything--even around my own level-- in 5-6 hits or so and never bother with dodging or parrying-- just a white raffleford or whatever it is or a swallow or spamming food every 5-10 sec as needed. Hell most bosses around my level are no challenge with plenty of dodging, and the most satisfaction I had was storming that mage tower on skellige and fighting that golem who was like 7 levels higher than I was. The witcher gear is OP, and I think a decent challenge would be going through the game without using them. There are some awesome models on the relic weapons at least, though the gambeson type armors are fugly as gently caress.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Clown dad is best dad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you are having rouble with health, make sure to get the Gourmet perk. It almost trivialized healing for me for the entire game. As long as you can keep dodging for a couple of secs, you will be fine with it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
What tree is that perk in? I can't seem to find it.

Also, are there any decent mods that improve the mutagens and trophies? It's kinda dumb that there's only like 3-4 different versions of each. I'td be nice if the monster mutagens weren't the same as the base level color ones, and there's not reason other than cosmetics to keep any more trophies other than the first few. And there also should've been something that synergized with the yellow perks as well.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's one of the brown, all purpose perks. It makes all edible items last for 20 minutes instead o the default 30s (iirc)

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 26, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Do you have a mod? I don't have it. There are only 10 general perks available, 1 that does regen depending on time of day, one max vitality increase, one each for armor type, one to increase bow damage, two to use adrenaline to cast signs, one to have adrenaline to increase signs as well, and one to increase max toxicity.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Games create such characters where you just end up laughing for a solid 30 minutes due to their actions and their personality, ftw.

This quest cemented this game as the best I've ever played.

The Witcher combined an actual interesting open world with a really well told story. Love this game.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
The Gourmet perk was added in B&W.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh, I didn't know that, I never played the unexpanded version.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

grancheater posted:

The Gourmet perk was added in B&W.

Ahh, Yeah I still haven't gotten that. It really needs to go on sale for like <$10. Incidentally, if anyone happens to somehow have an extra B&W gog code lying around I'd be happy to buy it for $10!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ahh, Yeah I still haven't gotten that. It really needs to go on sale for like <$10. Incidentally, if anyone happens to somehow have an extra B&W gog code lying around I'd be happy to buy it for $10!

Frankly, it's worth way more than $10, or even the standard price. I've spend more time with B&W than on many full blown AAA titles. And that time was a wonderful experience, since the game is incredibly fun, the characters interest me and it might be the prettiest experience in any game I've ever played.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
Just picked this up on PS store on sale... one question, I can't seem to skip dialogue with square on PS4. I'm reading that this is supposed to work. What gives?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the game is doing you a favour

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Another big one for survival is that the short non-roll dodge is WAY more useful than the actual roll. Roll when you ABSOLUTELY NEED TO GET THE gently caress AWAY, else just do the back up dodge and you recover quicker and still have a huge invuln time. I bound that shifty dodge to space and the roll to alt and never went back, it is just that god damned useful. Roll will get you killed, shift will save your life.

Also Quen is the sign of choice if you want to cheese, else either Reg/Alt Yrden is the poo poo. Alt Yrden beats every boss and every enemy you can imagine and regular Yrden at least slows poo poo down so you can see it coming. If something seems to have a crazy amount of health and it isn't a rock creature or ghost or something, use Igni, when stuff is on fire it takes damage by percentile so you can win most fights with just Igni spam if you just wait for a burn and let it thrash about dying before you hit. When Igni is off CD repeat and you have won every fight against any flammable creature.

TGG fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 27, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Frankly, it's worth way more than $10, or even the standard price. I've spend more time with B&W than on many full blown AAA titles. And that time was a wonderful experience, since the game is incredibly fun, the characters interest me and it might be the prettiest experience in any game I've ever played.

Good point-- amazon had it for sale for $15, and given I had $4 in credits, naturally I picked it up!

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Picked up the GOTY edition on PS4. It seems to run significantly better than it did last year at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer

Bad Llama posted:

Just picked this up on PS store on sale... one question, I can't seem to skip dialogue with square on PS4. I'm reading that this is supposed to work. What gives?

Quoting myself - it was because the game wasn't 100% installed yet. Download finished and now I can skip dialogue. Thanks for nothing though, thread ;)