Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The NFL may have finally figured out that fans don't want to watch 63 minutes of commercials for 11 minutes of actual gameplay and appear to be at least considering running few ads during games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/797077001995714560

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

ESPN execs said they expected to take a ratings hit when Bayless left -- not because Bayless went to a competitor and launched a competing show. Rather, it was because the biggest faces of ESPN’s “Embrace Debate” strategy -- Bayless and Stephen A. Smith -- were breaking up. It will take a while for Smith, Kellerman and host Molly Qerim to establish the same chemistry. “Skip could have left to work on a lobster boat and ratings would have suffered,” said ESPN Exec VP/Programming & Scheduling Burke Magnus. “We knew there would be an impact with Skip and Stephen A. splitting up. It would be naďve and disingenuous to believe or say otherwise.”

I get that Magnus has to walk the company line here but god it just kills them to admit that people are getting fed up with lovely hot taek shows.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

I get that Magnus has to walk the company line here but god it just kills them to admit that people are getting fed up with lovely hot taek shows.

The show was still doing really well for that time slot until Bayless left. People genuinely liked the Bayless/Smith combo. Which I don't understand but I clearly do not understand a lot of things about what people do and do not like currently.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Aikman signed a 3 year extension with Fox Sports.

After hearing how much better Joe Buck sounds next to someone who isn't Troy or McCarver, goddamn I kinda start feeling bad for Joe.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The only good part of Joe + Aikman is that you can hear the barely contained resentment in Joe's voice towards Aikman sometimes, especially when the latter makes idiotic mistakes.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

The show was still doing really well for that time slot until Bayless left. People genuinely liked the Bayless/Smith combo. Which I don't understand but I clearly do not understand a lot of things about what people do and do not like currently.
I've mentioned this before, but my 89-year-old grandmother watched those two religiously. I...don't get their appeal at all but there's lots of people who apparently loved just watching those two talk at each other for hours on end.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Gary Cohen signed an extension to keep calling Mets games. As one of the best booths in baseball that doesn't have Vin Scully, this pleases me greatly.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I feel like Joe Buck used to be worse but seems to have made an effort to be a better commentator in the past few years? Certainly having to be subjected to Phil Simms seems a lot more painful relatively speaking than it used to.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MikeCrotch posted:

I feel like Joe Buck used to be worse but seems to have made an effort to be a better commentator in the past few years? Certainly having to be subjected to Phil Simms seems a lot more painful relatively speaking than it used to.

Joe Buck absolutely became a better broadcaster when he had the earth shattering revelation that you could do an emotion sometimes.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I still think Buck is pretty awful.

Him calling the World Series was a very painful listen, and his football calls are still pretty mediocre. I just don't like the guy.

I think Aikman is a smart guy, but he's not.."entertaining" in the same manner that Collinsworth and Gruden are. You kinda need that out of a color guy. He wouldn't be awful as a studio guy. (reminds me of Howie Long).

Maybe move Jimmy Johnson or another coach of his caliber to call the game for Fox? Kinda thinking out loud here. Not sure who you get to replace Buck. (NOT. CHRIS. MEYERS. gently caress. HIM.).

Nantz is just out of his league. GREAT at golf, that's where his true passion is, and was actually not awful as a studio guy. But he's just too WASP-y to call College Hoops and the NFL. Simms is just ....the Tim McCarver of tooball. He's just awful.

Time has come to give Kevin Harlan the lead play by play gig at CBS.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Buck years is light years ahead of where he used to be. He went from aggressively awful to actively mediocre

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jon lester...he doesn't throw to first

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Thom Brennaman is secretly the worst Fox announcer

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

^^^ You spelled Chris Meyers wrong.
But they are in a dead heat.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Dutchy posted:

Thom Brennaman is secretly the worst Fox announcer

Not much of a secret

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ugh must see my rear end

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I miss Gus #freegus

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'd love to figure out who the true GOAT's of "homer/local" radio broadcasters would be.

Scully, Buck, and Carey are no brainers.

Paul Keels for OSU is one of 'em.
Tom Hamilton for the Indians
Van Miller for the Bills has to be one. (God rest his soul)
Eli Gold for 'Bama
Merrill Reese for the Eagles
IMS Radio Network as a whole. (Paul Page, Bob Jenkins, Mike King, etc)

Gotta be some more. Feel free to post audio of anyone you like on this list or whatever. I want to hear the best in unabashed pure joy and homerism.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

"Mr. Cat" Dave Eanet, the Voice of Northwestern Football and Basketball

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'd love to figure out who the true GOAT's of "homer/local" radio broadcasters would be.

Eli Gold for 'Bama

Gotta be some more. Feel free to post audio of anyone you like on this list or whatever. I want to hear the best in unabashed pure joy and homerism.

Johnny Most for the Celtics and Bob Ufer for Michigan football.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Ken "Hawk" Harrelson

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

Eli Gold for 'Bama

Hockey-wise, Bob Cole on HNIC is pretty much the national hockey broadcaster. Plus, so many local guys are very closely linked to their teams over the years: Rick Jeanneret in Buffalo, Fred Cusick in Boston, Sam Rosen with NYR, Mike Lange in Pittsburgh, Bob Miller with the Kings, Gene Hart in Philly, Dan Kelly with STL--especially with the expansion teams, one guy does/has done their calls since roughly their founding. Plus, there's even the case where legendary commentators move with the team: the great Chuck Kaiton started with the Whalers and moved to Carolina, while Ralph Strangis (who took over himself for a beloved caller in Al Shaver) went with the Stars from MN to Dallas and was incredibly popular in both places.

Also, for college sports Mike Kelly (no relation to Dan, though Dan Kelly did regularly call Tiger football in the '60s/'70s before the hockey season started) at Mizzou is probably the only guy I know at a P5 school that does both their football and basketball games on radio. He's also one of those guys everyone loves.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Groucho Marxist posted:

Ken "Hawk" Harrelson

You monster

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I don't really give a poo poo about homer announcers on their local networks. I mean, who do you think is watching/listening. Boo hoo hoo if you are listening on some national package to the away team (for you) broadcast.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

I don't really give a poo poo about homer announcers on their local networks. I mean, who do you think is watching/listening. Boo hoo hoo if you are listening on some national package to the away team (for you) broadcast.

I can kinda explain it.

My dad USED to watch the Browns when the were on NBC (with the AFC package), and they'd get stuck with some "decent" announcers. Guys like Don Criqui, Tom Hammond, Marv Albert, Dick Enberg or Charlie Jones.

Let's fast forward to 1999. CBS has the package and I can just remember him (and myself) being annoyed at how bad the guys they'd send our way would be. Ian Eagle.and the like. Guys who kinda came across like the last place they wanted to be was calling the Browns getting their asses kicked by the NFL. Do I blame them? No. But the drop off in quality was noticeable.

Since then? It's been hearing Jim Donovan make quips when they're bad and occasionally get overly excited when the rare positive play happens. He knows the team inside and out, and is a much better alternative then hearing some f-lister who's from Albany teamed up with some obscure special teamer from the Jacksonville Jaguars call games.

With the local guys...be it on radio or your local fox sports affiliate? You generally get someone who's a fan of the team, knows them and has emotion swing towards the team you follow. They're also able to paint a picture and seem to have some "fun" calling the games.

There's a certain art to it that I think the network guys have kind of lost.

E: My intent was to not use my own selfish example. I've heard people in Pittsburgh used to do it for Myron Cope, and a few other guy's because they felt it was more of a welcoming presence.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 27, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dave Niehaus was the loving best and I'm heartbroken that he died before he ever got to call the Mariners in the playoffs again.

I know some M's fans hate Dave Sims, but I like him pretty well. He has a friendly, approachable personality, and with a long-rear end baseball schedule that can go a long way. You can save the intense moments for playoff races, but in the middle of June I just want to hear a fun voice for my nightly diversion, and Sims is really good at that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ElwoodCuse posted:

yeah local announcers should be gigantic homers, most of the people watching random regular season games are fans of that team, not impartial viewers doing so through MLB TV/NBA League Pass/Whatever

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ElwoodCuse posted:

I agree that John Sterling is a wonderful announcer.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I'm genuinely sad that Hawk Harrelson is retiring. We're losing something special :(

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I don't know why Hawk reduced his schedule to mainly road games isn't it usually sticking to home games

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I consider two sliding scales when listening to a local broadcast. How good the announcer is and how much of a homer they are. Niehaus would definitely homer it up a bit, but he was entertaining to listen to because he wasn't insufferable about it. You could tell he loved the M's, but his first love was baseball on a whole. The Pens and Avs crews are prefect examples of lovely homer crews.

I don't like Hawk when I'm watching a game with the Rays, but his homerness leads to some hilarious schadenfreude sometimes so I'll give him a pass.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mike Lange calling the fictional game is "Sudden Death" is probably the best play by play I've heard in a sports movie.

Very hard to replicate the emotion of calling a live game, especially one that's supposed to be game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. He somehow pulled it off though.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Vertical Lime posted:

I don't know why Hawk reduced his schedule to mainly road games isn't it usually sticking to home games

He lives 100 miles from Chicago and commutes to home games, whereas on the road he's shacked up in a hotel in the city.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I am not a baseball fan at all but I'll have Hammy on every so often because he's a goddamn fantastic broadcaster. There's a bunch of videos of his calls synced up to the video feed on youtube. "SWUNGONANDBELTED" is the greatest call. There was this really neat heartfelt moment a couple spring training seasons ago that the Reds' TV crew caught as well. :unsmith: EDIT: Great additional call of Pronk destroying a walk-off grand slam

I know it's notre dame, but Don Criqui does a great radio call for their football games. I met him a few years ago and he was a very cool guy.

I listen to far more Philadelphia Flyers games than I watch on TV exclusively because of Tim Saunders. He's a great broadcaster and his voice cracking on goal calls always kills me.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 27, 2016

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

John Wilkes Booth posted:

He lives 100 miles from Chicago

we voted on this in a ballot initiative

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FuzzySkinner posted:

I feel like Brickhouse was a better announcer for the Cubs.

Anyway, some others coming to mind would be Pat Foley (Chicago Blackhawks), Chick Hearn, Mel Allen, Ernie Harwell and Marv Albert.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Benne posted:

Dave Niehaus was the loving best and I'm heartbroken that he died before he ever got to call the Mariners in the playoffs again.

I know some M's fans hate Dave Sims, but I like him pretty well. He has a friendly, approachable personality, and with a long-rear end baseball schedule that can go a long way. You can save the intense moments for playoff races, but in the middle of June I just want to hear a fun voice for my nightly diversion, and Sims is really good at that.

You're talking Seattle guys and didn't mention Kevin Calabro?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Timby posted:

Ernie Harwell

Oh yeah Ernie Harwell was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

You're talking Seattle guys and didn't mention Kevin Calabro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2GaAWdHwsw

OH A SLAM, TOMAHAWK JAM! YAYYYY BABY!

Weird fact? His brother is a Public Address announcer for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. But yeah, Kevin Calabro's up there for sure. Add him.