Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I don't know about difficulty yet, but I'd say Golem is certainly the most creatively designed and strategically implemented of the first stratum bosses. Remember back in EO1 when the first major boss was just "big wolf with ice attacks and calls friends"? My, but we have come a long way since then.

I was waiting until after the fight update, but I'd second that, Golem was the most interesting and exciting 1st stratum boss in the series for me. Also I believe it's the 1st stratum boss which took the most attempts for me to beat, most of them I was able to beat on the first attempt. Though it's only because it didn't occur to me for a while that the best strategy is just to spam AOE attacks every turn, which is a bit unusual for a boss battle.
There's something else amusing about golem to me but I can't say it until a lot further in the LP...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Golem seems really intricate for a first stratum boss, but at the same time, stratum bosses kind of should be intricate, right?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 6: Grow! (Nameless vs. Golem)

For all your deer-repelling needs, Lope-Away! Works on Furyhorns AND Furyfawns! Guaranteed to extend your lifespan by a few floors! Note: depending your locale, may also be known as Ragelopes. Does not work on Furylords or Golden Deer. Lifespan extension not guaranteed.
Mmm... Not catchy enough. That name's clumsy, too.
Kinda hard for me to change what's already on the label.
Where did you find this stuff, again?
That weird guild we keep meeting in the Labyrinth. Their tall, orange-haired Herbalist gave me boxes of this stuff. ...I think he said something about "finally being free of those stupid deer," though.
Maybe see if it kinda works on any quadruped? Those boars, perhaps?
Ooh, good idea.

First order of business: block off the upper four Mini-Golem spawn points with these two rotating statues.

Second order of business: go over the party's skill builds.

Sasha has level 5 Line Guard now (8 TP, 41% phys damage reduction), level 4 Material Guard (6 TP, 39% elem damage reduction), and level 1 Gun Mount. Gun Mount is a pretty unique skill: it can only be used the turn after using a shield skill. When used, it replicates the effect of the shield skill used last, and also attacks one enemy. At level 1, it costs a measly 2 TP, meaning you can, say, effectively use Line Guard two turns in a row, but for only 10 TP instead of 16, and deals 110% damage.

Raven has Miasma Weapon maxed out--it now costs 3 TP instead of 2, and only costs 5% of his current HP instead of 25%.

He also has 3 points in Frail Miasma (6 TP, 14% attack reduction), and 1 point in Feeble Miasma (6 TP, 25% ail/bind resist decrease). I don't use either of these in the upcoming fight.

I left Scythe of Numb Stasis at level 4, where it costs 7 TP, deals 168% damage, and has a 40% base paralysis chance with Miasma Weapon--level 5 would've bumped the TP cost up to 11.

Kaelin has 4 points in Lightning (7 TP, 110% INT-based volt damage), 6 points in Amplifier (9 TP, 33% INT damage buff for one row), and 1 point in Magic Shield (8 TP, reduces INT-based damage by 34% for 1 turn). The solitary point in Magic Shield is to help ensure that everyone can survive the initial Explosion from Golem.

Gram has the same 3 points in Hawk Whistle, 4 points in Flash of Both Wings (8 TP, 86% user damage, 221% hawk damage to one row), and 6 points in Target Arrow (7 TP, 157% damage, reduces defense by 20% for 5 turns).

Dosen has 5 points in Cure Herb (5 TP, 210% healing power), 4 points in Line Herb (7 TP, 117% healing power), 3 points in Refresh Herb (6 TP, removes ailments from one person), and 1 point in Resurrection Herb (8 TP, revives dead character at 10 HP).

...Aww, do we have to beat it up?
That cool and edgy act didn't last long.
Snide remarks aside, I wonder if you could market a plush doll of that thing...
I'd put my money on plushes of the small ones selling like hotcakes.
Hmph. If you all will cease acting like imbeciles, perhaps we could attend to the task at hand?

:siren: VIDEO: Boss: Golem :siren:

Sasha uses Material Guard to reduce Explosion's damage.

Raven preps Miasma Weapon for the next turn.

Kaelin uses Magic Shield to further reduce Explosion.

Gram uses Target Arrow on Golem Body, mostly to debuff it.

Dosen does nothing.

"Local Brownie Does Nothing."

Ta-da! One Material Guard, ready to go.
Why is it called Material Guard, again?
Stands out against the other types!

Amateurish. Allow my mastery of the elements to truly protect us.

Hah. Good to see the softening arrows still work on rock.

Okay, uh, I think I put the vial on like...this?

(Golem used Explosion.)

Get behind me!
Hmph. Why should I? My Magic Shield is more than enough for--
MOVE.

It's...just a scratch, I will be...quite fine.

Sasha switches to Line Guard, since all we'll be eating is Mini-Golem normal attacks on this turn.

This is basically all Raven will do until the end of the fight now.

Kaelin casts Amplifier on the back row.

Gram targets the leftmost Mini-Golem with Flash of Both Wings, which means the front row will be hit by the hawk follow-up.

Lastly, Dosen uses a Soma to bring everyone back up to full after Explosion.

Falz!

Perfect, just like we practiced. Good bird.

Don't be fooled by the fact that the hawk doesn't have an ATK stat beyond its STR, the thing hurts. You'll understand more once we see Raven and Kaelin's damage outputs.

Hyyyagh!
Surely there's a better way to use that thing than spinning around.
It's a bit too heavy to just swing...

(Red Mini-Golem attacks.)

You can't just ignore Mini-Golem attacks, by the way. They aren't insignificant and can build up quickly if there's too many of them in play.

(Kaelin used Amplifier.)

Awaken your meager latent magical powers.
...Thanks?

(Golem Body used Call Allies.)

What's that stomping sound behind us?
...Ugh, more Mini-Golems.
Let them march to their deaths. All shall fall before me.

(White Mini-Golem used Combine.)
(Golem Legs have appeared!)

Rule of thumb with Dragoons is to just use Gun Mount after using a shield skill, unless you need to swap which one you're using. Saves a boatload of TP in the long run.

Kaelin gets to actually use Lightning now.

My general strategy with Magic Heal is to just use it as soon as at least four party members are missing a small amount of TP, so you'll have it sooner in the fight.

No-one needs healing right now, so I just have Dosen toss a Volt Jar onto the Red Mini-Golem.

Especially in a potentially long fight like Golem, you need to give your party as much TP as possible.

(Dosen used Volt Jar.)

It's kind of paltry, but any damage on the Mini-Golems before they use Combine helps.

(Kaelin used Lightning.)

Wex magnelectros.
...Maybe your braggart nature isn't entirely without merit.

(Sasha used Gun Mount.)

Dragoons kind of suffer from artillery having overall bad ATK, but whatever, it's some damage plus a shield effect for 1/4 the cost of Line Guard.

(Golem Legs used Stomp.)

I've lived through worse...after all these years.

(Black Mini-Golem used Combine.)
(Golem Arms have appeared!)

And here's where things could start to get really nasty.

The Golem Legs have a long way to go until death. These next few turns are going to be difficult.

Just gimme a little help, and this shield'll make us mostly-invulnerable!
If it means my apparel will suffer less wear, then very well, I will lend your metal lump some of my power.

Might as well save Sasha a little TP by making my party effectively invincible for a turn.

(Sasha used Tri-Shield.)

We are invincible! Mostly.

(Defeated Red Mini-Golem!)

At least I don't have to worry about a potential Explosion for a few turns.

(Golem Arms used Fire Palm.)
(Sasha negated the attack with Tri-Shield.)

I'm generally more scared of Fire Palm and Ice Palm than I am Stomp or Sumo Stomp, so I have Sasha switch over to Material Guard.

I told you this fight can take a while.

(Golem used Call Allies.)

Ooooooookay, what? All of the Mini-Golem spawn points have a Mini-Golem out on the field, this does literally nothing but waste Golem's turn.

(Yellow Mini-Golem has joined the battle.)

Well, that's concerning.

Here. Don't tire yourself out yet.
Oh, th-thanks.

Raven's getting slightly low on TP, so I had Dosen toss him a Hamao. Hamaos in EO5 restore 100 HP and 25 TP. They're actually not too bad to have around, and you can make them quite a bit earlier than you can Amritas.

It helps that Kaelin can just knock off almost 1/3 of a Mini-Golem's HP in one hit.

(Golem Legs used Stomp.)

Agh... Oh, my aching...everything...

(Yellow Mini-Golem has joined the battle.)

This is less than ideal...

Oh sweet merciful gods, the Legs are close to dying.

(Defeated Golem Legs!)

loving p h e w.

(Defeated Yellow Mini-Golem!)

All this did was summon one Mini-Golem at the bottom left. The bottom right didn't spawn a new one, because the right Yellow Mini-Golem is still in the battle.

Okay this one did literally nothing.

I don't know how that Yellow Mini-Golem went three turns without becoming a body part, but hell if I'm gonna complain.

(Gram used Flash of Both Wings.)
(Defeated Yellow Mini-Golem!)

Dosen tosses Gram an Amrita, since she was getting fairly low and we're not quite done yet.

You could, I dunno, loving hit us with those giant magic arms of yours.

Golem is a nice boy.

Turn 10, and the Golem Body's at a little less than half HP. Golem Arms are getting close to death.

WHAT

EVERY MINI-GOLEM SPAWN POINT ALREADY HAS A MINI-GOLEM IN PLAY

THIS IS LITERALLY JUST WASTING A TURN

WHY IS THIS ANNOYING ME

If it comforts you at all, this annoys me too. I hate it when bosses don't get a chance to show off during an LP.

(Yellow Mini-Golem has entered the battle.)

Golem Arms gonna die on this turn.

(Kaelin used Lightning.)
(Defeated Golem Arms!)

Mere hardened clay can do nothing against my magics.

And Golem ends up doing nothing because it wanted to cast an Arms skill.

(Yellow Mini-Golem used Combine.)
(Golem Head has appeared!)

The Golem Head is, like, the least dangerous body part.

It spawned at less than half HP too.

I don't think this battle's gonna take much longer.

HOW MANY loving TURNS HAS THIS THING WASTED ON JUST USING CALL ALLIES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-uTocAlIyw

(Kaelin used Lightning.)
(Defeated Golem Head!)

It literally didn't get to use a single Head skill before dying.

Okay, it tried to on this turn. Going by speed modifiers relative to Lightning, I'd say it was probably Brittle Breath.

(Yellow Mini-Golem used Combine.)
(Golem Legs have appeared!)

Too little, too late.

This was way easier than I thought it'd be.

(Raven attacks.)
(Golem collapsed!)

I... I actually did it! ...I-I mean, of course I did it.
I did most of the work.
It was a team effort, dear.

(Defeated Black Mini-Golem!)
(Defeated Golem!)

We...actually managed to break the glamour. I...didn't think that was possible, actually.
You're starting to see the value in my shield now, right?!
Hoho, yes, yes. That thing helped quite a bit, Sasha, dear.

(Received 1 Piece of the Eternal Barrier.)

I don't know what the gently caress happened there, honestly. Why did Golem waste so many drat turns on just using Call Allies instead of actually killing us? Were we really that effective at controlling the Mini-Golems and body parts?

The ancient, magically animated statue crumbled before you with a loud noise... You've safely dispelled the Lunarian magic that had been acting as a wall! With this, your mission is complete. You should report back to the council in town.

Not quite yet. We should go see the 2nd Stratum before we go back to town, I feel.

Raven, dear, are you alright? You seem nervous.
...Kinda, I guess. It's just... We've done what no-one managed to do for a century! We're the first people to set foot in the 2nd Stratum in...forever!
And it was all--
Mostly.
ALL thanks to my brilliance.

VIDEO: 2nd Stratum Intro

(Floor subtitle: The journey continues, with your gaze aimed high)

Your arrival in the new stratum is greeted by dreary scenery completely unlike anything from the first stratum. The arrangement strangely shaped boulders gives you an uneasy feeling in this new Labyrinth. You'll have to be more careful than ever as you advance.
Wait, this was just above the forest? This is an entirely different...everything!

Look at all of that, too! I knew that Yggdrasil is big, but this doesn't make sense.
After beatin' several animate lumps of clay that formed an even bigger lump of clay, I'm gettin' ready to toss sense aside.

You cautiously advance along the dreary path surrounded by large boulders. Suddenly, an eerie looking girl carrying a large scythe appear in front of you without a sound.

Explorers?
Her tone seems strangely hostile.
Ah, uh, urm, y-y-y...
If you'll let someone far more composed do the talking... Perhaps you should introduce yourself first, in light of my wondrous countenance.
Stunned by force of her question, you manage to return her sharp glare and ask that she introduce herself first. She seems momentarily surprised before twisting her mouth into a wry smile.
What, you haven't heard of me? Here I thought every man, woman, child, and household pet in the whole town knew me better than I know myself. Soleil. Reaper.

If anyone cares, Soleil uses the Japanese pronoun 'ore', which is a hyper-masculine way of speaking and is very unusual coming from a woman. She talks like a manly-man, probably closest to Edgar out of anyone else in the cast.

After she introduces herself, you introduce yourselves in turn. When she hears your guild name, she gives a nod of recognition and continues.
Ah, I see. So you're on your post-stratum high. What's coming is head and shoulders more dangerous than anything you've ever experienced. Start patting yourselves on the back and you'll be in an unmarked grave before long. I won't tell you you can't. Just that your chances are horrid. In any case, that should be your first priority.
With a rude tone, she points north with her scythe.

There, you see a mysterious pillar of light the likes of which you've never seen. Once she confirms that you've seen what she was pointing at, she leaves, as if her role here is finished. You can either do as she suggests and investigate the pillar of light, or ignore her and keep exploring.

Geomagnetic Poles make a return. For those of you unfamiliar with the series, or for those of you who just forgot, Geomagnetic Poles function as in-Labyrinth checkpoints. We can either return to town or save from these things. They also used to be points you could directly warp to in previous games, but in EO5 they don't actually do that due to how the "start from a floor after you cleared the last one" system works.

Back to town we go, then.

Hey, I hear you guys got to the 2nd Stratum! That's so cool... Oh hey, do you mind if I use that to advertise the inn?!

People staying at this inn got to the 2nd Stratum!

I heard all about it! Guess you guys've cleared the 1st Stratum! Congrats! Now, after the 1st obviously comes the 2nd. But man, you know, the deeper you go, probably means the rarer the materials you'll bring back to the shop, huh?
It only stands to reason.
You guys're really helping me out here! Keep up our mutual business relationship and the whole place'll be conquered before you know it!

Megalith 5006 (+20 ATK, +55 MATK, Barrier Wall, Silver x4) is made from 1 Piece of the Eternal Barrier. Barrier Wall isn't half-bad, honestly--it's an all-party target cut/stab/bash reduction that reduces by 34% at max rank, and costs 15 TP at max rank. Its downside is that, well, it's a coffin, so only Necromancers can use it.

So, were you shocked by the sudden change of scenery in the 2nd Stratum?
A little. Okay, a lot.
That's Yggdrasil for you. It's a place that doesn't follow common sense, a world without reason. That's precisely why everyone's so eager to conquer it and uncover its mysteries. You're the same, aren't you?
If by "uncover its mysteries" you mean "find its treasure," then yes.

#1 is Hansuke again.

#2: Short-haired young scythe user:

Young'un: Oh, are you all rookies? Hahaha, then keep it up and just try to stay out of the way of the veterans!
...We just beat Golem though.
Young'un: By the way, you know how some monsters in the Labyrinth are clearly just stronger? Like those giant caterpillars? Well, even if you kill them, there'll be back in the same spots after a few days. I'm guessing that it's actually just different ones claiming the same territory, but either way they're just as strong. Welp, try not to die!

This is a semi-tutorial on the fact that FOEs respawn about a week after you kill them.

#3: Slender-eyed doctor:

Doctor: That's it, I'm done. Who'd have thought that moles, even giant ones, would put up such a fight? They just suddenly dived underground so our attacks couldn't hit them, and when they popped back up they did this powerful attack! Hmm, maybe sleep or panic would have worked... Or binding their legs? Well, either way, I'm just glad to be alive!

We will see moles on 6F.

#4: Grass-stained explorer:

Explorer: Hey, you guys heard of Nameless? They're supposed to be some dauntless and invincible new guild.
Why, you're--
Nope. Never heard of 'em.
Explorer: But us, we ain't got talent like that, so we're stuck taking crappy jobs gathering herbs just to get by. Geez, it just makes me so jealous. Why can't I ever get a break like that?! Just once!

#5: Full-bodied woman:

Woman: My, you wouldn't be explorers, would you? Then do you know Lily? She's always helping find things in Labyrinth, whether as favors for the townsfolk or requests from the Council. She's such a good girl. Why can't my daughters be more like her? They never want to help out at the store, and are always off playing around somewhere...

Two quests for 6F.

#1: Hunter's pride:

This request is from a monster hunter who specializes in hunting with magic. He uses a very unusual technique: invisible magic sigils that serve as traps. The monsters step on them and BAM! No more monster. Unfortunately, the client got injured the other day, just after setting up some traps. He's in no condition to move. And that's where you come in. He wants you to head to the 5th floor and disarm the traps set up there. He says they should be in this area.
Um...

I have my reservations--
Next, you'll need this to find the traps.

("Obtained Mana Detection Device!")

That's a device that detects magic. It should react when near a trap, which should let you narrow down their locations. Unfortunately, it's a bit lacking in precision. The best it can do is tell you how many tiles immediately next to you have traps on them. It'll show that many lights. So, for example, even if you see two lights, you won't know which two directions the traps are in. So, did you get all that?
No!
What the simpleton over here means is "of course."
Good. I'd hate to have to explain it all over again. Next, you'll need this too, to actually disarm the traps.

("Obtained Mana-Absorbing Talisman!")

Stick one of those talismans on the ground, and it'll absorb all the mana out of the sigil, effectively destroying it. For the record, there are 3 traps. And there are 5 talismans. If you use them thoughtlessly, you'll run out, so try to pay attention to where you're putting them, please. Oh, I know, if you're really having trouble you could always just put someone who can perceive mana into your party. Well, good luck with all that.

On my first few playthroughs, I had no clue what the gently caress this quest wanted until I gave in and just pinged Clarste and asked him what was going on. When he told me that this involved basically playing Minesweeper and reading text, I gave up and just deliberately stepped on all of the mines. This results in Melina all but asking if you're mentally well enough to keep doing quests.

Why aren't you learning the language of this game you're playing, geez Ragnar.

#2: Loves monsters more than regular meals:

This request is from the director of the Monster Research Society. As you can probably tell from the name, it's an organization that researches monsters. They're also the ones who created the Monstrous Codex. They want you to deliver 3 Triangular Kitten Ears, from Pouncing Caracals. That's it. Good luck with that.

Pretty simple "get enemy drops" quest.

...You actually got rid of the Lunarians' ball of clay. Hmph, well, congratulations are in order, I guess. You cleared the 1st Stratum. But remember; you're still barely hanging by a thread off of the pinky toes of that massive tree. Who knows how many floors you have ahead of you? Don't let your guard down--ever--and keep going at your own pace.

I hear you've cut through the Lunarians' barrier and eliminated the Golem. Thank you very much. It still feels like we first met just yesterday, but before I knew it, you've already become seasoned explorers. Members of Nameless, please keep it up.
Thank you very much, Your Grace.
...Oh, I almost forgot. The council will reward you for finding your way through to the 2nd Stratum.

("Obtained 1500 en.")

For reporting in all of the 1st Stratum floors, we get a Luck Necklace (+15 TP, +12 LUC).

So you've reached the second stratum? Then, does that mean you've seen that mysterious pillar of light that binds the Labyrinth and the city together? We call that the Geomagnetic Pole. With that, you can return to town in an instant. Be sure to keep it in mind if you ever find yourself stranded in the Labyrinth without an Ariadne Thread.

And with that, we're done with the 1st Stratum.

Next time: we begin the 2nd Stratum.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Small note: expecting party voting here? Well, unfortunately, no.

From here on out, I will be deciding exploring parties on a floor-by-floor basis. Boss parties will still be voted on. I feel that floor party votes always kind of attracted the least attention, and having the ability to choose my own parties means I can tell certain narrative things better, or have more control over how events go on the floors, what with certain racial passives affecting stuff.

...Of course, given that I have my own biases towards certain classes, I also might just write a party randomizer that takes certain criteria into account. In fact, that's actually what I'm already doing. I've codenamed it MERASMUS! because of the 2012 TF2 Halloween event.

Rea fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 27, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
No one posts in threads without votes, you know. It's the law of the jungle.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Why did the Lunarians make the Golems have noticeable butt cracks? That's something that is bothering me for a while since the last update.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Pyro Jack posted:

Why did the Lunarians make the Golems have noticeable butt cracks? That's something that is bothering me for a while since the last update.

So they can literally poo poo bricks

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Why not really. Also hell yeah I would be totally down for a mini-golem plushie.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Is Etrian Odyssey seriously trying to goad newbies into thinking the game isn't that hard, if at all by making the first boss derp out? I've played through 1-3 and not once did I see a boss waste his time like that.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

quote:

Explorer: Hey, you guys heard of Nameless? They're supposed to be some dauntless and invincible new guild.

:roflolmao: Still loving that name.

I didn't quite make the connection that the Mini-Golems weren't merging with the Main Golem body the first time I watched that fight. Where do you get that luck from, Ragnar, seriously?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Whatever the gently caress happened to Golem here is very much a fluke. I refought him after the recording to make sure it wasn't some stupid thing like "Golem needs the Golem Legs to actually do anything," and ended up having a much harder time because he actually kept doing real things with his turns.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Annointed posted:

Is Etrian Odyssey seriously trying to goad newbies into thinking the game isn't that hard, if at all by making the first boss derp out? I've played through 1-3 and not once did I see a boss waste his time like that.

The boss is actually hard, that was just a weird lucky streak or I don't know.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Annointed posted:

From what Ragnar told me, and from the playthroughs I've seen, Golem does not usually do this. Might be possible that he stumbled upon a hole in the AI and caused it to go crazy.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

[i]On my first few playthroughs, I had no clue what the gently caress this quest wanted until I gave in and just pinged Clarste and asked him what was going on. When he told me that this involved basically playing Minesweeper and reading text, I gave up and just deliberately stepped on all of the mines. This results in Melina all but asking if you're mentally well enough to keep doing quests.

I think the important question is, did you get a lower reward? If not, then it's totally worth it.

Annointed posted:

I somehow got the final boss of the Deep City path to derp out for like 80% of the battle, so it does happen.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Quick question that I'd like tested: Do disabling weapons work on the Fencer's Sylpheed or whatever it was called?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Fencers are the mascot class of EO5, and can fulfill two very disparate roles: either dodge-tanking (massively increasing personal aggro chance and evasion in order to make attacks completely whiff on them), or supportive attacking with Chain skills (attacks that rely on specific attacks from other party members). I wasn't that enthralled with them when I first looked at their skillset, but after playing the game a few times, they're considerably more effective than I'd thought at first glance. They're just not drag-and-drop, so to say--you can't just toss a Fencer into a party with an empty slot and really expect them to work. Dodgetanks aren't for every possible enemy situation (enemies with row-target or party-target spells do not give a poo poo about dodge-tanking and splash damage is still something to consider), and Chains really do require at least two or more party members that can cooperate with them.

Stats

Before we go into stats, lemme explain one thing. While the majority of a character's stats come from their race, each specialization provides its own of small bonuses on top of the race's base stats. In light of that, I'll be posting three tables for each class's stats: their bases up until 19 (you can't assign specializations until a character is level 20), and then two tables that add each specialization's bonuses on top of the race's base stats. The specialization names will also include a short description of each spec's gimmick.

These stat tables assume base races, mind you!

Earthrun Base

Illusionary Fencer: Dodge-tanking

Thunderclap Fencer: Chain skills

Basic gist of the stats: Illusionary Fencers get more HP, AGI, and LUC, while Thunderclap Fencers get more TP, STR, VIT, and WIS.

Fencers can equip swords, and can wear light armor, cloth, and shields.

In terms of potential reclass options, I really can't see why you'd want anything but an Earthrun for Illusionary Fencers--Therians do have more AGI, but they also have significantly lower LUC, which does play a role in the evasion formula. For Thunderclap Fencers, you could conceivably use a Therian for them, since they really just want more STR than anything.

Basic Skills

Rapier Mastery
Requirements: None

Increases damage dealt using swords. Normal attacks become stab instead of cut.

Masteries in EO5 are considerably different from EO1-3 and the Untolds. Exactly two skills in the entire game require that you level up a Mastery to learn them, and exactly one of them is worth it. There's still a few masteries that just give tiny bonuses, but there's also skills like Rapier Mastery. Changing basic attacks to stab might not seem like much, but it means that normal attacks and any skills that apply normal attack modifiers (such as Sylphid) can turn into procs for Chain skills.

Chain Freeze/Fire/Shock
Body parts used: Legs

Targets one enemy. When that enemy takes either stab or fire/ice/volt damage, the caster will follow up with a stab+fire/ice/volt attack (element depends on skill used). Each time Chain Fire/Freeze/Shock activates, the chance of it activating again on that turn is decreased. The base activation chance is 100%. Has standard priority. Has no accuracy modifier at all levels.

The focus of the Chain tree. Chains are more akin to EO1-3/Untold-style Chasers than EO4 Links, but they're slightly more lenient in that you can activate them with stab damage as well. This isn't quite as good as it sounds, though, since only bows deal stab damage naturally (Fencers need at least one point in Rapier Mastery to deal stab damage naturally). As far as skills go, basically every Fencer attack skill and most Hound attack skills deal stab damage, while Armor Penetrate (Masurao Basic) and Earth Spike (Warlock Spec 1) deal stab damge as well. It's not terribly hard to make decent use of Chain skills, but to make good use of them, you do need to plan your party around them.

Chain Boost
Requirements: Chain Fire level 2, Chain Freeze level 2, Chain Shock level 2

When using a Chain skill, each time the Chain skill activates, its damage is increased for the rest of the turn. The maximum bonus Chain Boost can give is +99% damage.

Chain Boost...exists. It's not a bad passive, mind, but it's not something you should really invest in early on.

Chain Burst
Requirements: Chain Fire level 2, Chain Freeze level 2, Chain Shock level 2

When an enemy is killed by a Chain skill, the caster will attack another enemy with an attack of the same element as the Chain skill.

A kind of pointless passive. It can theoretically help with random encounters, but it does nothing in FOE and boss fights.

Predict

For one turn, increases the amount of damage the caster takes, their evasion, and their chance to be targeted by enemies. When the user dodges an attack, their evasion and chance to be targeted are decrased. The damage bonus could be either a 2.5x multiplier, or a +250% damage bonus for the enemy--it's unclear, but is more likely to be a multiplier. Has standard priority.

The bread-and-butter skill for a dodgetank Fencer, and what they'll be using almost all of the time. At levels 1-4, Predict is basically good for one attack, and after that you start running an extreme risk of gibbing your Fencer. I'd say to not leave it at those levels for long, but the TP cost increase to 11 at level 5 is pretty hefty. 7 TP early on isn't something to scoff at, and 11 can drain early Fencers dry incredibly quickly, and even in the midgame, you still need to watch how often you use it.

Wind Curtain
Requirements: Predict level 3
Body parts used: Head

Places a buff on one row that enables party members to dodge one STR-based attack. When an attack is dodged, the buff is dispelled.

A kind of neat skill whose theoretical uses are offset by the extreme TP cost.

Vision Thrust
Body parts used: Arms

Deals melee STR-based stab damage to one enemy. Attempts to inflict blind on the target. Has a 120% speed modifier and +25 base accuracy at all levels.

A pretty basic attack skill. You're not gonna have much time to use it if you're dodgetanking, but it does have a pretty high base blind chance going for it, combined with Earthruns' naturally high LUC.

Sylphid

When the user dodges an attack, they will counterattack the attack source with their equipped weapon. Each time the user counterattacks, the chance of Sylphid activating again on that turn is decreased by 40%. Any modifiers to the user's normal attacks are applied for Sylphid. For example, if the user has at least one level in Rapier Mastery, and has a Fire Oil effect, Sylphid counterattacks will be stab+fire.

Sylphid is how dodgetank Fencers actually get to contribute damage. It's never going to be massive damage, but it's something. It also means you get slightly more value out of whatever TP you spend on dodgetanking.

Illusionary Fencer Skills

Unburdened

Increases the user's evasion based on how many of their equipment slots are empty. For example, if the user has a weapon but no armor, they are given the 3 slot bonus.

A potentially risky gamble, but then again, that kinda describes dodgetanking in general. I wouldn't advise going fully unequipped, though, since that means you just completely lose out on any potential Sylphid damage.

Bewitching Sword Dance

Reduces the accuracy of one row of enemies for a set amount of turns. Has a 90% speed modifier at all levels.

Bleh. That accuracy decrease isn't worth the turn needed to set this up.

Pile On
Requirements: Bewitching Sword Dance level 3

For one turn, when the user dodges an attack, all other party members in their row will counterattack the attack source with their equipped weapons. Any modifiers to an attacker's normal attacks are applied for Pile On. For example, if the attacker has at least one level in Rapier Mastery, and has a Fire Oil effect, Pile On counterattacks will be stab+fire. Has a 300% speed modifier at all levels. Counterattacks have +5 base accuracy at all levels.

Interesting in theory, but mediocre in practice, since it doesn't give any target chance increases. You could combo it with an Unburdened passive bonus and a Dragoon using Dragon's Roar on the Pile On user, I suppose.

Avoid Accel
Requirements: Bewitching Sword Dance level 3

When the user dodges an attack, their Union gauge is restored.

A really nice passive that doesn't take a lot to max out. Union skills aren't quite as powerful as other similar mechanics in past EO games, but being able to use rapid-fire Tri-Shield or Black Mist is a pretty huge advantage.

Preemptive Curtain
Requirements: Wind Curtain level 3

Gives the user a chance to use Wind Curtain automatically at the start of a battle.

Pass.

Divine Gust
Requirements: Preemptive Curtain level 3

For one turn, increases all party members' evasion. Each time a party member dodges an attack, the bonus provided by Divine Gust is decreased. Has a 150% speed modifier at all levels.

Neat in theory, underwhelming in practice. At level 10, that bonus will only be good for 3 party members--any attacks after that won't get anything. Even then, the second dodge only gets a +700 bonus, and the third only gets +350. That TP cost also is not kind at all. On the other hand, this is basically an Illusionary Fencer's only means of helping the party when going up against row-target or party-target skills, so it's still worth investing in fairly early.

Sharp Thrust
Requirements: Vision Thrust level 2

Deals melee STR-based stab damage to one enemy. For the rest of the turn, the user's evasion and chance to be targeted are increased. Has a 500% speed modifier and +20 base accuracy at all levels.

A weaker version of Predict that doesn't amplify incoming damage, but which provides a far smaller evade bonus, and deals a small amount of damage. I'm not too hot on it, but I can see its uses.

Revenge Thrust
Requirements: Sharp Thrust level 5

Deals melee STR-based stab+volt damage to one enemy. The damage starts at a base value, and is then multiplied by the amount of times the user has dodged an attack since the last use of Revenge Thrust. There is a maximum amount of times Revenge Thrust can have its damage multiplied. Has a 75% speed modifier and +10 base accuracy at all levels.

A mixed bag of a skill. On the one hand, if certain situations, the amount of stacks you get wtih Revenge Thrust can stack up real quick. On the other hand, a lot of the time, you'll probably just get one or two stacks per turn. Combine that with the fact that you have to have your Fencer not draw aggro for a turn, and bad things can happen if you just carelessly use Revenge Thrust.

Counter Boost
Requirements: Sylphid level 5

Adds a chance to add extra hits when Sylphid activates. Each extra hit is rolled for individually.

Amplifies the damage of Sylphid fairly noticeably and, I am reasonably certain, each hit counts for one activation of a Chain skill. Overall, it's pretty good.

Thunderclap Fencer Skills
Common Passives: Phys ATK Up, Speed Up

Speed of Sound Blade
Requirements: Rapier Mastery level 3

When performing normal attacks, there is a chance to attack twice. The second attack is cut damage, and deals the same amount of damage as the first hit (not accounting for standard variance).

lol

Chain Killer
Requirements: Chain Boost level 3, Chain Burst level 3

Targets one enemy. For one turn, when that enemy becomes afflicted with a status ailment, bind, or stun, the user will attack them. Has standard priority at all levels. Follow-up attacks have no accuracy modifier at all levels.

Has its uses if you have a party that's heavily focused on disables (I'd say two or more of a Cestus, Reaper, Necromancer, dog-focused Hound, and Smoke-focused Herbalist count). 800% damage hurts like hell to begin with, and if you inflict multiple disables on one turn, it gets even better.

Chain All
Requirements: Chain Killer level 5

On the next turn, Chain skills will target all enemies. Also increases the maximum hits of the Chain skill used on the next turn. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Kind of useful if you're dealing with an FOE or boss fight with multiple targets, which are few and far between. Otherwise, getting extra hits is less desirable than it sounds, due to the fact that Chains are more akin to Chasers than Links when it comes to what activates them.

Chain Plus

For a set amount of turns, increases the base chance of Chain skills activating, as well as their damage. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

The Improved Link of EO5, in that it's arguably a necessity if you're taking a Chain uesr into the late/postgame. Thankfully, it lasts longer than Improved Link did, and is basically the only self-buff a Thunderclap Fencer will really need--having to constantly reapply both Vanguard and Improved Link turned me off Links really badly in the EO4 lategame.

Chain Double

Gives a chance for Chain attacks to activate twice.

Free extra damage that makes each activation of a Chain potentially go farther? Hell yeah, invest in this thing as soon as you've got your actives at comfortable levels.

Sylph Screen

The user's defense and evasion increase, for one turn, each time they attack an enemy.

Eh, I'll pass. Proper defensive support means that you should be able to ignore having to put points in this, and instead focus on putting points in attack skills, the skills that actually matter.

Random Stab
Requirements: Vision Thrust level 3

Deals a random amount of instances of melee STR-based stab damage to one row of enemies. Can hit the same enemy multiple times. Has no speed modifier and -5 base accuracy at all levels.

To quote one of my top-tier video game characters (female Morgan from FE13), "BOOOORING."

Resonance
Requirements: Random Stab level 5

Deals melee STR-based stab damage to one enemy. The damage starts at a base value, and is then multiplied by the amount of times the user hit enemies last turn. Resonance can have its damage multiplied a maximum of 9 times. Has a 75% speed modifier and +10 base accuracy at all levels.

Considerably more useful for a Thunderclap Fencer than Revenge Thrust is for an Illusionary Fencer. Using this thing doesn't interrupt your Fencer's normal duties, and you'll generally be able to get a decent amount of stacks if you have a party that's well-built for Chain skills.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sharp Thrust is by far the best skill to spam as a dodge tank, imo, at least in any situation where you can expect to get hit more than twice. I don't know the exact hit formula, but it's fairly clear to me that most of Predict's evasion bonus is overkill, and if you get unlucky you just die immediately from the defense penalty. By contrast, Unburdened(3) + Sharp Thrust is a reliable +800 (which is about as much as Predict, in practice) that never decreases no matter how many hits you take. You will dodge practically everything at very little risk, while also getting some damage out for basically no extra TP cost compared to Predict. A lot of late-game bosses use multi-hit moves that make Predict worthless, and obviously 3 dodges isn't really enough for random battles either.

Spam Sharp Thrust. Dodge a 12 hit super move from a boss. Love it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 28, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Maybe someday there'll be an EO game where relying on normal attacks is a good idea?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Glazius posted:

Maybe someday there'll be an EO game where relying on normal attacks is a good idea?

Unless that game has FOE's and Stratum Bosses have skills that punish using mana attacks and spells, or have a class that is nothing but passives to boost auto attack, I don't see that happening. Even if you just have stratums that are littered with mana drain and bind monsters the player is only going to see those floors as a tedious drag and either would powerlevel enough to the point most encounters on that floor can't harm them, or just stock up on a ton of mana restore.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'm fairly certain that normal attacks are meant to be an emergency measure of sorts. Only resorted to when everyone's out of TP, or if you don't want to use up any TP on a particular fight. TP usage is a pretty big part of the whole resource management angle the series goes for, so I doubt they'll ever try to make something you can use for free that useful. Otherwise the only limiting factor in explorations would be the inventory space.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The logic is that if you have to spend TP on something, it should be a better use of your turn than something that's free. Full stop. And I don't really think that's weird either: normal attacks are strictly worse, but they're also free so you use them when there's no urgency. But if you set the game on hard that situation simply isn't going to happen as often.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

That's definitely the logic to it. Basic attacks usually aren't even useful on even-level enemy encounters. There are a couple niche places they're useful throughout the series at least, but thinking about it it's really swashbuckle for warrior's might in EO3, or dual-wielding dancers stunning things in EO4... And those pretty much only really work well on things like FOEs and bosses with some setup. Dancers don't do enough damage to take advantage of 8 regular attacks normally.

I'll say regular attacks Bushi worked okay for me in my first playthrough of EO4 but I was a little overlevelled and it was the rest of the team doing the heavy lifting. EO4 is probably the only one that would let you get away with it too, 5 definitely won't

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Tyty posted:

That's definitely the logic to it. Basic attacks usually aren't even useful on even-level enemy encounters. There are a couple niche places they're useful throughout the series at least, but thinking about it it's really swashbuckle for warrior's might in EO3, or dual-wielding dancers stunning things in EO4... And those pretty much only really work well on things like FOEs and bosses with some setup. Dancers don't do enough damage to take advantage of 8 regular attacks normally.

I'll say regular attacks Bushi worked okay for me in my first playthrough of EO4 but I was a little overlevelled and it was the rest of the team doing the heavy lifting. EO4 is probably the only one that would let you get away with it too, 5 definitely won't

I feel like Nightseekers in IV have some uses for basic attacks against random encounters as well. I've been finding that I tend to end up with a lot of encounters on a sliver of health after the first round, and Nightseekers are fast enough that they're pretty much guaranteed to go first and clean up two of them with blade flurry attacks. It's really niche and probably only applies to specific team setups at specific stages of the game, but it's there.

Since there's two distinct paths for each class to go down, are you planning on adding more characters to the roster once you unlock specialisations?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Mr. Vile posted:

Since there's two distinct paths for each class to go down, are you planning on adding more characters to the roster once you unlock specialisations?

That was my plan at the start, but Clarste never really liked that idea to begin with and alcharagia had her reservations too. We discussed it more last week and I came to agree that 20 characters, almost half of which came in right at the start of the 3rd Stratum, would be unmanageable. We'll be introducing one more character soon, as an exception, but otherwise I'm just gonna rotate specializations on a schedule.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

...For what it's worth, you can change specializations by Resting. You're not locked into them permanently or anything.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
So, just out of curiosity, which subclass for Fencer do each of you three prefer? And if you wouldn't mind, why do you like it?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They're practically different classes, and each require entirely different party set-ups. It's not really a matter of preference so much as what kind of team you're building.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dragoons are the primary defensive support class of EO5. Those of you coming from EO4, no, they're not really like Fortresses. Fortresses were am interesting but ultimately failed experiment in making a defensive support class focused entirely on tanking, whose only damage mitigation, if you could even call it that, was just some defensive buffs. Dragoons are more akin to Protectors (EO1/2) and Hoplites (EO3)--they specialize in direct damage mitigation. What makes them different from those two, you might ask? Guns! ...Well, heavy artillery, but you get the point. Unlike Protectors (but not unlike Hoplites), Dragoons can equip ranged weapons, and putting one in the back can actually work quite well (I still put them in the front both of habit and for the innate enemy aggro increase). They also have access to quite a few attack skills, which are somewhat hampered by guns having overall bad ATK, but not unusably so.

Stats

Earthrun Base

Adamantine Dragoon: Doubling down on defenses
(Full stat table)

Gunpowder Dragoon: Opening up offenses
(Full stat table)

Basic gist of the stats: Adamantine Dragoons get more HP and VIT, Gunpowder Dragoons get more TP, WIS, AGI, and LUC. There's an argument to be made for just defaulting to Gunpowder Dragoon if none of the Adamantine Dragoon skills really strike you as something you need.

Dragoons can equip artillery, and can wear heavy armor, light armor, and shields.

In terms of potential reclass options... Uh... A Brownie could do okay as an Adamantine Dragoon, I guess? Somewhat? Their HP is pretty abysmal compared to Earthruns, but their TP and WIS are better, and their VIT's comparable. Much like other damage classes, you could do worse than using a Therian for a Gunpowder Dragoon, but given that two of their four big direct attack skills inflict ailments, the LUC loss could be bad. You'd also end up with someone that's much more fragile when actually using shield skills.

Basic Skills

Shield Mastery

Decreases STR-based damage taken when equipped with a shield.

Unfortunately, EO5 goes back to just making Shield Mastery a passive defense boost, rather than EO2U's chance to fully negate phys attacks. Shame, I actually really liked that.

Artillery Mastery

Increases damage dealt with artillery.

Line Guard
Required equipment: Shield

Reduces STR-based damage taken by one row for one turn. Has standard priority.

The most basic of the shield skills, and also the most important. Chances are good that if your Dragoon has nothing else to do, they'll be using this. It's good for random encounters and bosses that rely heavily on physical attacks!

Material Guard

Reduces fire/ice/volt damage taken by all party members for one turn. Has standard priority.

The replacement for the elemental Walls (or Anti skills, as they're known in the DS games). It covers each of the elements, but doesn't fully cancel out attacks at rank 10--a very, very good trade, in my opinion. The problem with the Walls was that they'd only ever be really useful if you already knew a boss's pattern in advance, and even more than that, their usefulness was directly proportional to how unpredictable they are, and how much their other potential actions could hurt.

Healing Guard

Reduces STR-based damage taken by the caster for one turn. When the user takes damage while Healing Guard is active, their HP is restored. The restoration is a static amount plus a percentage of the caster's maximum HP. Has standard priority.

Ehhhhhhhhhh. Pretty obviously intended for use with's Dragon's Roar. You have to ask yourself if using this thing is worth leaving other party members without protection, though.

Gun Mount
Requirements: Line Guard level 2, Material Guard level 2, Healing Guard level 2

Can only be used on the turn after a shield skill was used. Deals ranged STR-based bash damage to one enemy. Replicates the effect of the shield skill used on the last turn--this takes effect immediately, and does not depend on when the user attacks. Has +5 base accuracy at all levels.

Gun Mount was one of the first Dragoon skills revealed to the public during EO5's prerelease press period, if I remember correctly, and it was what convinced me that I'd actually want to use them. Gun Mount not only gives Dragoons a chance to chip in damage without neglecting their normal duties, it also saves them an absolute ton of TP in the long run, especially when it comes to some of the Adamantine Dragoon skills.

Barrage Wall

Deals ranged STR-based bash damage to all enemies. Reduces hit targets' STR-based attack for a set amount of turns. Has an 80% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Pass. Costs way too much TP for what it does.

Dragon's Roar

Increases one ally's defense against STR-based attacks and chance of being targeted for a set amount of turns.

Oh hey, it's Provoke/Taunt again, except it has the "can be used on any ally" thing from Decoy Sign. I tend not to use Provoke-like skills too much, but Dragon's Roar has its uses in EO5. You can target it with a Fencer that's trying to dodgetank, for example, and basically guarantee that all single/random-target attacks will go to them.

Bunker

Creates a Bunker in the summon row. The Bunker has 10 HP. In addition to having a DEF value, the Bunker also has a set resistance to all damage. The Bunker has an increased base chance of drawing enemy attacks. Has a 125% speed modifier at all levels.

A somewhat strange alternative to Dragon's Roar, kinda. The Bunker is actually pretty drat tanky, given that even at levels 1-4, it only takes 6% damage from everything. For reference, 6% of 150 damage (which is a ton of HP up until maybe the end of the 3rd Stratum) would deal 9 damage to the Bunker, before factoring in DEF. In addition to this, the Bunker drawing aggro onto the summon row can be really nice...if you don't have a Necromancer or a Hound. If you don't, great, the Bunker can just keep drawing single-target and, importantly, row-target attacks away from your party. If you do, though, ghosts, hawks, and dogs are gonna be eating a lot more damage than normal.

Defensive Position
Requirements: Bunker level 2

Increases all party members' defense against STR-based attacks for a set amount of turns. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

Nah.

Adamantine Dragoon Skills
Common Passives: HP Up

Recovery Guard
Requirements: Gun Mount level 3

Reduces STR-based damage taken by one row for one turn. Allies under the effect of Recovery Guard also have a chance to have a set amount of binds removed when Recovery Guard takes effect. If a character has more binds than Recovery Guard removes, which binds are removed is random. Has standard priority.

I could see Recovery Guard's use as a panic option, like if your front row has binds but also needs healing, of which the latter would probably be an Herbalist's priority. On the other hand, the damage reduction's quite a bit less than Line Guard, so it's not a full-on replacement for it.

Counter Guard

Reduces STR-based damage taken by one row for one turn. When Counter Guard activates, the caster will counter with their equipped weapon, with a damage bonus. Each time Counter Guard counterattacks at levels 1-9, the chance of it attacking again on that same turn is decreased. At level 10, Counter Guard will always counterattack. The base chance of counterattacks is 100%. Any modifiers to the user's normal attacks are applied for Counter Guard. For example, if the user has a Fire Oil effect, Counter Guard counterattacks will be bash+fire. Has standard priority. Counterattacks have +10 base accuracy at all levels.

Now here's an upper-tier Guard skill I actually really like. Again, less reduction than standard Line Guard, but that damage can actually stack up pretty quickly, especially at rank 10. Rank 10 Counter Guard activating on a random hit skill that, say, hit the front row six times? Hello 1800% damage.

Divide Guard

Targets one ally. The caster will take all damage for that ally for one turn. From levels 2-10, the caster takes reduced damage from attacks redirected by Divide Guard. Has standard priority.

Eh. There's not a lot of instances in EO5 where I'd say you really want to protect one party member instead of a row or the entire party.

Full Guard
Requirements: Recovery Guard level 3, Counter Guard level 3, Divide Guard level 3

Reduces all cut, stab, bash, fire, ice, and volt damage to the party for one turn. After use, Full Guard goes on cooldown for a set amount of turns. Has standard priority.

Costs a boatload of TP at all levels, has a giant cooldown, and is still useful for a lot of situations. It's not quite as good as Material Guard if you're blocking fire/ice/volt damage (it'd be dumb if it was), but eh. You have to be really sure about when to use it, like I said, because that TP cost is loving massive. At level 60 (a decent level for fighting the final boss), without a TP Up weapon, an Earthrun Adamantine Dragoon will have 165 max TP. The one saving grace of all of this is that, despite the cooldown, you can replicate the effect of Full Guard with Gun Mount--for far less TP, too!

Soul Guard
Requirements: Recovery Guard level 3, Counter Guard level 3, Divide Guard level 3

Reduces STR-based damage taken by one row for one turn. Allies under the effect of Soul Guard have a chance to survive mortal damage at 1 HP. Has standard priority.

Kind of like a one-turn CPR (or Dauntless Order, to a lesser extent) that also reduces physical damage. You could conceivably make use out of it when dealing with bosses that have single or row-target overkill skills, although whether you want to bet on a 66% chance at rank 10 is your own decision.

Shield Throw

Deals ranged STR-based cut damage to one row of enemies. Shield Throw uses some function of the user's equipped shield's DEF as a substitute for weapon ATK. Has a 60% speed modifier and 75 base accuracy at all levels. For comparison, swords have 97 base accuracy.

...Okay? Why would I want to use an attack skill that effectively has -20 base accuracy?

Preemptive Roar
Requirements: Dragon's Roar level 3

Gives the user a chance to use Dragon's Roar on themselves at the start of battle.

Eh. 5 skill points for a 67% chance to use Dragon's Roar? I'll pass.

Dragon Force
Requirements: Preepmtive Roar level 3

Gives a chance for the user and any party members in their row to nullify STR-based damage.

Not too hot on Dragon Force. Dragoons do end up needing quite a lot of skill points, and investing 10 of them for what works out to a 15% defense buff isn't my idea of good.

Preemptive Bunker
Requirements: Defensive Position level 3

Gives the user a chance to use Bunker at the start of battle.

Nah.

Gunpowder Dragoon Skills
Common Passives: Phys ATK Up, TP Up

Gun Revenge

Increases the damage of artillery skills when either a shield skill activates, or when a Bunker or Pillbox is attacked.

A really good passive, probably one of the best ones in the game. Getting nine stacks of this is less hard than other stack-based skills, since activating Line Guard or Material Guard really does not take much, and the nature of Bunkers and Pillboxes mean they'll draw attacks pretty frequently too. Once you get nine stacks at rank 10, your Dragoon deals over 2.5x damage for the rest of the battle.

Bombardment Prep
Requirements: TP Up level 3

Increases the damage, non-base accuracy, and speed of the artillery skill used on the next turn. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

One of two unconditional charge skills in the entirety of EO5, and this one's pretty decent, aside from its somewhat steep TP cost. Worth investing in once you've got all of the Cannon skills that you want.

Rapid Cannon
Requirements: Barrage Wall level 3

Deals ranged STR-based bash damage to one enemy. Has absolute priority and +20 base accuracy at all levels.

Deals the most damage of the three basic Cannon skills, although that's not saying a lot, given that Gun Mount deals more at rank 10, and replicates shield skills too.

Curse Cannon

Deals ranged STR-based bash damage to one enemy. Attempts to inflict curse on the target. Has a 60% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Curse is an absurdly trash ailment, that's all I really need to say.

Hypno Cannon

Deals ranged STR-based bash damage to one enemy. Attempts to inflict sleep on the target. Has a 60% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

This, on the other hand, is better. Sleep has its uses, and Dragoons already being weighed down by their equipment plus that 60% speed modifier means you can usually inflict sleep once your damage dealers have all taken their turns. On the other hand, that also means it'll probably go off after the target's taken their turn, too.

Buster Cannon
Requirements: Rapid Cannon level 3, Curse Cannon level 3, Sleep Cannon level 3

On the next turn, deals ranged bash+fire damage to one enemy. Damage is doubled when attacking a front row enemy while the caster is in the front row, multiplied by 1.5x when attacking a front row enemy while the caster is in the back row or vice versa, and is not increased when attacking a back row enemy while the user is in the back. The user cannot select another action on the turn where Buster Cannon activates. If the user is incapacitated or their arms become bound, Buster Cannon will not activate. The initial cast has a 90% speed modifier at all levels. The actual hit has inverse priority and a 1000% speed modifier, and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

I'm gonna be blunt: Buster Cannon is far less good than it may seem. My first thoughts when I looked at its data were "holy poo poo this is Front Mortar all over again," but the fact that it effectively eats two turns means that your Dragoon's effective damage per turn is half of whatever Buster Cannon advertises on the tin. You can't even use Bombardment Prep with it, since that doesn't last long enough to apply to Buster Cannon's actual hit.

Pillbox
Requirements: Defensive Position level 3

Creates a Pillbox in the summon row. The Pillbox has 10 HP. In addition to having a DEF value, the Pillbox also has a set resistance to all damage. The Pillbox has an increased base chance of drawing enemy attacks. When the Pillbox is attacked, it will counterattack the source of damage. The counterattack is bash damage, and is based solely on the Pillbox's ATK value. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Bunkers, but with less enemy aggro, and with the ability to counterattack. 500 ATK is a lot, incidentally--it's equivalent to a character with 250 STR, equipped with a 250 ATK weapon, performing a normal attack. I really like Pillbox, honestly, but that rank 10 TP cost is a little steep.

Gun Support
Requirements: Pillbox level 3

When the user reduces damage they themselves take, or negates an attack entirely (ie. another Dragoon activating Dragon Force), they have a chance to create a Pillbox.

34% (at most) chance to create a Pillbox for free when the user reduces damage to themselves (that second condition is almost guaranteed to never activate)? Sure, why not.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'd say Fortresses in EO4 were a really powerful support class.

The problem is, not a lot in that game actually warranted using one. EO4 rewards offensive play far more than defensive play, and a lot of enemies in that game aren't as dangerous as the enemies in other EO games. Which doesn't mean that the class isn't good at its job, Fortresses are pretty much unkillable late-game. Though unless your party is that squishy, another attacker in that party slot might net you more results. The one time in the game they really shine is against the post-game final boss, if you didn't bother weakening it. Which was completely optional and not even required for 100% completion.

Bombardment Prep not working with Buster Cannon is disappointing. I thought it was Charge + Front Mortar all over again. :v:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 3, 2016

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I had pretty high hopes for the Dragoon class, what with all the gun-mounting skills and summoning a freaking bunker of all things. Definitely feel like I'd play with the Gunpowder Dragoons more, they look a lot more fun than the Adamantine ones and the base class looks like it has enough to keep your party alive as-is. Though, I guess they wouldn't be defending the party if they were busy shooting, huh?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

One thing to note about about Counter Guard: it only works when the damage reduction activates, which means the target has to take damage for you to counter. Doesn't play well with a Fencer. If anyone was thinking that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Ragnar, IF you learn Dragon Force, I HIGHLY suggest you make a reference to the band of the same name. If you feel like it. I know you like your references in your last LP (props for liking some of the stuff I like, like Steins;Gate, Zero Escape and a few others), so it's just a suggestion.

On that note: You said that you were building Alexis as a dodge-tank which probably means most of his time will be an Illusory Fencer, barring a few exceptions. Which way are you building Sasha primarily?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Mechanics: Races

In sharp contrast to previous EO games, where each class had their own unique stat growths, EO5 now has four different races that have their own base stats, which are then slightly modified by specializations. In addition, each race has their own selection of small-but-useful racial passives and Union skills.

I'm not really smart enough to discuss the deeper implications of the race system on a game design and balance level, so let's just talk about them.

Earthrun
Earthrun Classes: Fencer, Dragoon, Cestus, Reaper

(Full stat table)

Earthruns, like humans in a lot of other games with race systems, are a middle-of-the-road, phys-oriented race. Highest HP, decent STR, highest VIT, and, strangely enough, highest LUC. Their TP, INT, and WIS are all pretty bad--and by bad, I mean they have the lowest TP of any race. While Cesti can usually deal with this since their skills generally don't cost too much relative to their max TP, the other three classes tend to have pretty serious TP issues throughout most of the game.

Earthrun Race Skills:
  • Level 1: Grace of the Earth, Fishing, Woodland Search Skills
  • Level 5: Organizational Skills, Woodland Gathering Skills, Animal Husbandry
  • Level 10: Martial Arts, Serving Power, Armor Mastery
  • Level 15: Body Improvement, Athletic Training, Self Study
  • Level 20: The Earth's Favor, Anatomy, Gourmet

Earthrun Union Skills:
  • Level 1: Blessed Light. Requires 1 person. Restores 15% to 30% of all party members' max HP. Heal depends on user level.
  • Level 5: Basic Resuscitation. Requires 2 people. Revives one dead party member. Healing power depends on user levels--scales from 1 to 270.
  • Level 10: Tri-Shield. Requires 3 people. Nullifies the first three enemy attacks for one turn.
  • Level 15: Black Mist. Requires 4 people. Doubles the chance of inflicting ailments (excluding stun and instant death) and binds for one turn.
  • Level 20: Indomitable Spirit. Requires 5 people. Nullifies all ailments and binds for one turn. In addition, all party members have a 50% chance to survive fatal damage at 10% HP.

Lunarian
Lunarian Classes: Warlock, Necromancer

(Full stat table)

Lunarians are the spellcasting race. That is basically all they're good for. They have the best TP and INT of any race, decent WIS and AGI, and bad HP, STR, VIT, and AGI. They cannot survive hits on the frontline, not helped by the fact that neither of their innate races can wear armor heavier than clothes. They can take magic hits a bit better than Earthrun and Therians, at least. Their LUC also means that they can make for decent disable inflictors--which is pretty important, since that's a large part of Warlock Spec 1, and Necromancers overall.

Lunarian Race Skills:
  • Level 1: Grace of the Moon, Chop, Sense Mana
  • Level 5: Anatomy, Night Vision, Gourmet
  • Level 10: Bestow Mana, Serving Power, Barrier of Selflessness
  • Level 20: The Moon's Favor, Animal Husbandry, Concentration

Lunarian Union Skills:
  • Level 1: Enchant. Requires 1 person. Gives all party members' normal attacks fire+ice+volt element for one turn.
  • Level 5: Paradigm Shift. Requires 2 people. Attempts to transfer one party member's ailments/binds to one enemy, with a 50% base chance.
  • Level 10: Curse Magic. Requires 3 people. For one turn, when any party members deal fire/ice/volt damage, they have a chance of inflicting a random ailment on their target. Base chance is unknown.
  • Level 15: Triple Magic. Requires 4 people. Deals ranged INT-based fire damage, ice damage, and volt damage (each element is a separate instance of damage) to all enemies. Damage scales from 100% to 200% per hit, based on user level.
  • Level 20: Chain Blast. Requires 5 people. Deals ranged INT-based almighty damage to all enemies. Attempts to bind hit targets' head, arms, and legs, with a 150% base chance. Damage scales from 100% to 300%, based on user level. All secondary Union targets (everyone but the initiator) are left with 40% Union after use.

Therian
Therian Classes: Hound, Masurao

(Full stat table)

Therians are the physical damage race--they have the highest STR and AGI of the races. Their TP's also quite a bit better than Earthruns, but it still doesn't really stack up to Lunarians or Brownies. Their LUC isn't garbage, but it's also not terribly optimal for inflicting stuff. Unfortunately, their defenses can be pretty lacking. While they do have the second highest HP of the races, they also have mediocre VIT, and the worst WIS of the races, meaning they really do not take magic hits well. Their defense problems are at least somewhat mitigated by Masuraos being able to wear heavy armor (although that doesn't help a lot with magic), and Hounds being best put in back row anyway.

Therian Race Skills:
  • Level 1: Grace of the Battlefield, Hunting Skills, Mine
  • Level 5: Acrobatics, Vigilance, Feats of Strength
  • Level 10: Woodland Search Skills, Fishing, Mind's Eye
  • Level 20: The Battlefield's Favor, Armor Mastery, Organizational Skills

Therian Union Skills:
  • Level 1: Giant Swing. Requires 1 person. Deals melee STR-based damage to all enemies. Damage scales from 100% to 250% based on user level.
  • Level 5: Spirit Bond. Requires 3 people. For one turn, when any party members deal cut/stab/bash damage, they have a chance of inflicting a random bind on their target. Base chance is unknown.
  • Level 10: Attack Heal. Requires 3 people. For one turn, when the initiator deals damage, all party members recover 30% of whatever damage they deal.
  • Level 15: Triple Attack. Requires 4 people. Deals ranged STR-based cut+stab+bash damage to one enemy. Damage scales from 200% to 450% based on user level. All secondary Union targets (everyone but the initiator) are left with 40% Union after use.
  • Level 20: Simultaneous Attack. Requires 5 people. Each party member attacks every enemy with their equipped weapon. Each attack attempts to inflict stun, with a 200% base chance. Damage scales from 100% to 190% per hit, based on user level.

Brownie
Brownie Classes: Shaman, Herbalist

(Full stat table)

Brownies are... Um... The support race. Kind of. I guess. Their stats are all over the place--their HP's just a little better than Lunarians, their TP is just a little worse than Lunarians, they have the absolute worst STR of any race, their INT's just a little shy of Lunarians, their VIT's actually pretty good (better than Therians, anyway), they have the absolute best WIS of the races (matters a lot more for Herbalists since healing uses WIS), AGI that's actually not too far from Earthrun, and absolute loving garbage LUC.

Brownie Race Skills:
  • Level 1: Grace of the Wind, Take, Animal Husbandry
  • Level 5: Serving Power, Fishing, Knowledge of Medicinal Plants
  • Level 10: Organizational Skills, Barrier of Selflessness, Acrobatics
  • Level 20: The Wind's Favor, Haggling, Gourmet

Brownie Union Skills:
  • Level 1: Defense Order. Requires 2 people. Reduces all damage taken by all party members by 50% for one turn.
  • Level 5: Fast as Lightning. Requires 3 people. All party members will act before all enemies for one turn.
  • Level 10: Taboo Method. Requires 3 people. All buffs and debuffs on all party members and enemies are forced to last for one more turn.
  • Level 15: Hygieia's Cup. Requires 4 people. Fully restores all party members' HP, purges all ailments and binds, and revives all dead party members at full HP.
  • Level 20: Aegis Shield. Requires 5 people. Nullifies all attacks against party members for one turn.

Race Skills

Grace of the Earth/Moon/Battlefield/Wind
Can be learned by: All races (Level 1)

When a character uses a Basic skill, they have a chance (feels like it's anywhere from 10% to 25%) to restore ((TPCost / 5) + 1) of whatever TP they used on the skill.

Fishing
Can be learned by: Earthrun (Level 1), Therian (Level 10), Brownie (Level 5)

Enables the use of fishing points in Labyrinths.

Woodland Search Skills
Can be learned by: Earthrun (Level 1), Therian (Level 10)

Required for certain Adventure Episodes. Increases the user's AGI.

Organizational Skills
Can be learned by: Earthrun (Level 5), Therian (Level 20), Brownie (Level 10)

Increases the party's max inventory space by 5 for every party member that knows Organizational Skills. Increases the user's VIT.

Woodland Gathering Skills
Can be learned by: Earthrun (Level 5)

Lets the user find extra materials (and gold items) from Take, Chop, and Mine points.

Animal Husbandry
Can be learned by: Earthrun (Level 5), Lunarian (Level 20), Brownie (Level 1)

Required for certain Adventure Episodes, and for the chicken pseudo-quest on 1F.

Martial Arts
Can be learned by: Earthrun (Level 10)

Increases the user's resistance to all bind types by 10%.

Serving Power
Can be learned by: Earthrun (Level 10), Lunarian (Level 10), Brownie (Level 5)

Increases the user's resistance to ailments (excluding instant death and stun) by 10%.

Armor Mastery
Can be learned by: Earthrun (Level 10), Therian (Level 20)

Increases the user's resistance to cut/stab/bash damage by 5%.

Body Improvement
Can be learned by: All races (Level 15)

Increases the user's STR and VIT.

Athletic Training

Increases the user's AGI and LUC.

Self Study

Increases the user's INT and WIS.

The Earth's/Moon's/Battlefield's/Wind's Favor
Can be learned by: All races (Level 20)

When a character uses a Master skill, they have a chance (feels like it's anywhere from 10% to 25%) to restore ((TPCost / 5) + 1) of whatever TP they used on the skill.

Anatomy
Can be learned by: Earthrun (Level 20), Lunarian (Level 5)

Increases enemy drop rates by 10% for each party member that knows Anatomy. Increases the user's INT.

Gourmet
Can be learned by: Earthrun (Level 20), Lunarian (Level 5), Brownie (Level 20)

Doubles the amount of HP and TP restored by food items.

Chop
Can be learned by: Lunarian (Level 1)

Lets the user find extra materials (and gold items) from Chop points.

Sense Mana
Can be learned by: Lunarian (Level 1)

Required for certain Adventure Episodes. Increases the user's INT.

Night Vision
Can be learned by: Lunarian (Level 5)

Required for certain Adventure Episodes. Increases the user's non-base accuracy by 30.

Bestow Mana
Can be learned by: Lunarian (Level 10)

Increases the damage of Jar items by 30%. Increases the user's INT.

Barrier of Selflessness
Can be learned by: Lunarian (Level 10), Brownie (Level 10)

Increases the user's resistance to fire/ice/volt by 5%.

Concentration
Can be learned by: Lunarian (Level 20)

Gives the user a chance to nullify sleep. The chance scales from 15% to 40%, based on the user's level.

Hunting Skills
Can be learned by: Therian (Level 1)

Required for certain events and Adventure Episodes. Increases the user's STR.

Mine
Can be learned by: Therian (Level 1)

Lets the user find extra materials (and gold items) from Mine points.

Acrobatics
Can be learned by: Therian (Level 5), Brownie (Level 10)

Affects certain Adventure Episodes. Increases the user's non-base evasion by 30.

Vigilance
Can be learned by: Therian (Level 5)

Increases the preemptive attack rate by 30% for each character that knows Vigilance. Increases the user's WIS.

Feats of Strength
Can be learned by: Therian (Level 5)

Required for and affects certain Adventure Episodes. Increases the user's STR.

Mind's Eye
Can be learned by: Therian (Level 10)

Gives the user a chance to nullify blind. The chance scales from 15% to 40%, based on the user's level.

Take
Can be learned by: Brownie (Level 1)

Lets the user find extra materials (and gold items) from Take points.

Knowledge of Medicinal Plants
Can be learned by: Brownie (Level 5)

Increases the restoration power of healing items by 50%.

Haggling
Can be learned by: Brownie (Level 20)

Reduces the price of items in Ceric's shop by 5%. Does not stack with other instances of Haggling in the party! Increases the user's WIS.

Innate Union Skills

Analyze
Requires: 1 person

Adds one enemy's information to the Monstrous Codex.

Double Attack
Requires: 2 people

Both participants attack one enemy twice with their equipped weapons. Double Attack is melee range, regardless of the user's equipped weapon. Damage scales from 150% to 400% per hit, based on the user's level. The secondary participant is left with 40% Union after use.

Flee
Requires: 3 people

If the battle is not unescapable (ie. boss fights), immediately ends the battle and returns the party to the last used stairs or Geomagnetic Pole.

Magic Heal
Requires: 4 people

Restores all party members' TP. The restoration amount is ((MaxTP * 0.03) + 6).

Rea fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 5, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Earthruns, like humans in a lot of other games with race systems, are a middle-of-the-road, phys-oriented race. Highest HP, decent STR, highest VIT, and, strangely enough, highest LUC.

I'm really not sure what's supposed to be average about these guys when they have 3 of the highest stats (not just you, it says that in-game too). I mean, that's more than the other 3 races, implying that they're actually more specialized as tanks and disablers. Which matches their class options: 2 tanks and 2 disablers.

quote:

[*]Level 5: Spirit Bond. Requires 3 people. For one turn, when any party members deal cut/stab/bash damage, they have a chance of inflicting a random ailment on their target. Base chance is unknown.
[*]Level 10: Attack Heal. Requires 3 people. For one turn, when the initiator deals damage, all party members recover 30% of their max HP.

Spirit Bond does a random bind, not an ailment. Sorry, that was an early mistranslation on my part, before I got used to the terminology used by the game. It's supposed to complement Curse Magic, I suppose.

That description of Attack Heal is... completely wrong; not sure if that's my fault or not. What it does it make all participants (or maybe just everyone?) heal the party for 30% of the damage they deal. Which makes it pretty much a full party heal-to-full, multiple times probably, as long as you're attacking on that turn. 30% max HP would be ridiculously bad for a 3 person Union. Frankly I don't think it's that good anyway, but it's not that bad.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 5, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Cesti are a combination damage-dealing and disabling class--think whip Dark Hunters from EO1/2/U/2U. They punch things! Sometimes the punching results in binds and can result in combos based on the binds, sometimes the punching plays with the user's HP and is amplified by the user losing HP. My point is that Cesti are about punching in various fun ways, and they're one of my favorite classes in EO5. I tend to err more on the disabling side of things, since I have a very disable-heavy playstyle, but that's just me. The only real disadvantage to Cesti is that their multi-target options are severely lacking, almost non-existent if you're going the disable-heavy path.

Stats

Earthrun Base

Combo Boxer: Disable-focused
(Full stats table)

Devastating Fistfighter: HP manipulation-focused
(Full stats table)

Basic gist of the stats: Combo Boxers have slightly more TP and AGI, and significantly more LUC, while Devastating Fistfighters have more HP, STR, VIT, and WIS.

Cesti can equip gauntlets, and can wear light armor and clothes.

For reclasses, there's no question for Combo Boxers: Earthrun is the only option for them, since that specialization isn't entirely focused on damage and relies more on disables--Therians, with their lower LUC, wouldn't do so hot. For Devastating Fistfighters, you could use a Therian for them for the extra STR, but their lower HP and VIT, and significantly lower WIS, make it a lot harder to keep them alive to actually use the skills that benefit from lower HP.

Basic Skills
Common Passives: Phys ATK Up

Gauntlet Mastery

Increases damage dealt with gauntlets.

Flicker / Arm Break / Liver Blow

Deals melee STR-based bash damage to one enemy. Attempts to bind the target's head (Flicker), arms (Arm Break), or legs (Liver Blow). Has a 90% speed modifier and +5 base accuracy at all levels.

The most basic, and also the most important, skills for the Combo Boxer line (even though they're Basic skills). If you've played any EO game with Dark Hunters, these should look very familiar--they're Gag, Cuffs, and Shackles all over again. They're not quite as powerful as they were in EO2U, but they also cost FAR less TP, and are designed to work perfectly with...

One-Two
Requirements: Flicker level 3, Arm Break level 3, Liver Blow level 3

Deals melee STR-based bash damage to one enemy. The user has a chance to follow up the initial One-Two hit with Flicker, Arm Break, and Liver Blow, if the target does not have the body part for that respective skill bound. If the target's arms are bound, for example, Flicker and Liver Blow can activate, but Arm Break cannot. The skills are rolled for in this order: Flicker, Arm Break, Liver Blow. Each skill is rolled for individually--failing to roll for Flicker, for example, means that Arm Break and Liver Blow can still activate. Despite the name, One-Two does not stop after one follow-up. Has a 90% speed modifier and +5 base accuracy at all levels.

This is where the "Combo" part of Combo Boxer starts to come into play. One-Two is both very fun to use (it's very satisfying to watch four punches in one action, plus the potential build-up of binds) and very effective, both in terms of TP cost and action economy (assuming you want one bind in particular, in which case you should probably just use the singular bind punch instead of One-Two).

Bloodlust

When the user loses HP, they have a chance to attack an enemy with their equipped weapon. Bloodlust can activate on self-inflicted HP loss, such as Giving it Everything. Any modifiers to the user's normal attacks are applied for Bloodlust. For example, if the user has a Fire Oil effect, Bloodlust counterattacks will be bash+fire. Bloodlust attacks have +5 base accuracy.

Ew, no thanks. 10 skill points for a 50% chance to use a normal attack when losing HP?

Giving it Everything
Requirements: Bloodlust level 1

Places a buff on one party member that increases their STR-based attack, at the cost of losing a percentage of their current HP whenever they act, for 4 turns. Because the HP loss from Giving it Everything is a percentage of current HP, not max HP, the HP loss from it cannot kill the buff owner. Has a 40% speed modifier at all levels.

On the other hand, yes PLEASE. Giving it Everything is the strongest attack buff in the game, and while the HP loss might seem pretty significant (because it is), it loving doubles a party member's physical damage at level 10. As long as you have either a dodgetank Fencer (to just fully take attacks off the buff target) or a Dragoon with probably Soul Guard (to potentially soften the blow if the buff target takes mortal damage), physical damage dealers can seriously wreck face with this--especially Masurao Spec 2, where crits (Sword God makes it so that crits apply to skills too) will deal quadruple the Masurao's normal damage.

Raijinken

Deals melee STR-based bash+volt damage to one enemy. If the target is not killed by Raijinken, the user suffers backlash damage--a percentage of the damage they just dealt. Has a 130% speed modifier and +10 base accuracy at all levels.

The most basic of the Devastating Fistfighter skills. It actually deals quite a lot of damage early on, I will admit, but it does start to fall off as the game goes on.

Kijinken

Consumes a percentage of the user's current HP to deal melee STR-based bash damage to one enemy, with splash damage. Has an 80% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

One of two innate multi-target damage option for Devastating Fistfighters, and the absolute only innate option for Combo Boxers. Damage is kind of pitiful, but that's to be expected from a multi-target Basic skill, honestly. If you really want to go full bore on the HP loss-based gimmicks for Devastating Fistfighter, you might want to leave Kijinken at low levels to keep the current HP loss higher.

Combo Boxer Skills
Common Passives: Curb ATK Up, Speed Up

Double Punch

When using Flicker, Arm Break, Liver Blow, or Corkscrew on their own (not as follow-ups from One-Two or Lead Blow), if the skill fails to inflict its ailment/bind, the user has a chance to use the skill again.

Double Punch is really drat good if you want your Cestus to prioritize disabling over just comboing with One-Two or Lead Blow.

Corkscrew

Deals melee STR-based bash damage to one enemy. Attempts to inflict paralysis on the target. Has a 90% speed modifier and -5 base accuracy at all levels.

Corkscrew is pretty mediocre on its own (paralysis's usefulness pales in comparison to that of binds), but where its real use lies is both providing setup for, and giving an extra hit to...

Lead Blow
Requirements: One-Two level 5, Corkscrew level 2

Deals melee STR-based bash damage to one enemy. If the target has an ailment and/or binds, follows up with the following skills: Flicker for head bind, Arm Break for arm bind, Liver Blow for leg bind, and Corkscrew for any ailment. The follow-up skills have a multiplier applied to their damage. While the description for the skill says "follow up with the skill that causes the same ailment," Lead Blow will activate Corkscrew if the target has any ailment at all, not just paralysis. Has a 90% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Here it is: the Combo Boxer's ultimate damage skill. Assuming level 10 for all skills involved, even if you only proc one of the bind punches and Corkscrew, you still deal (150% + 337% + 360%) = 847% damage, which can go up to 1881% damage if the target is fully bound and has an ailment (which isn't impossible).

Oh, and don't forget Giving it Everything, too, which can propel the damage to absurd levels (for anyone who doesn't feel like doing mental math: level 10 GiE means that the bind + ailment hit would deal 1694% damage, while the fully bound + ailment hit would deal 3762% damage).

Rush Out
Requirements: Speed Up level 5

Deals multiple instances of melee STR-based bash damage to random enemies. Can hit the same target multiple times. The amount of attacks Rush Out deals is equal to the number of times the user hit an enemy on the last turn. As an example, if the user used One-Two and activated all three follow-ups, Rush Out would hit four times. Using Rush Out on the last turn does not count for hits given on the next turn. Has an 80% speed modifier and -10 base accuracy at all levels.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. No clue what the use case for this thing is, to be very frank with you.

Cross Counter
Requirements: Giving it Everything level 5

For one turn, when an ally in the same row as the user takes STR-based damage, the user will attack the source of damage with their equipped weapon. Attempts to bind whichever body part was used to attack the damage receiver. If the source was a normal STR-based attack, Cross Counter (most likely) will attempt to bind the source's arms. Any modifiers to the user's normal attacks are applied for Cross Counter. For example, if the user has a Fire Oil effect, Cross Counter counterattacks will be bash+fire. Cross Counter only works once per turn. Initial prep has standard priority and a 1500% speed modifier at all levels. Counterattacks have +50 base accuracy at all levels.

An otherwise great skill kind of hamstrung by the one activation per turn limit. I guess multiple activations would make it ludicrously overpowered, but I still have the right to be disappointed.

Interval
Body parts used: None

Can only be used if the user has a bind or ailment. Removes all binds and ailments from the user. If a bind or ailment is removed, increases the user's damage on the next turn. Has a 200% speed modifier at all levels.

Theoretically has its uses when going up against a disable-heavy boss, but is mostly designed to work with Clinch--although, for the latter, if you rotate Clinch -> Interval -> Attack, you're losing damage in the long run, since you spend three turns for 2.5x damage.

Arm Block

Reduces the chance of being afflicted with ailments and binds for party members in the user's row for a set amount of turns. Has standard priority and a 70% speed modifier at all levels. The speed modifier is only taken into account when dealing with other standard priority skills.

Nah.

Clinch
Requirements: Interval level 3, Arm Block level 3
Body parts used: None

Attempts to bind the head, arms, and legs of both one enemy and the user. Each bind is rolled for individually. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

Stigmata from EOU/2U, but less effective, less cumbersome to use, and with more consistent internal logic. If you really want to go all-in on Lead Blow, this is a more efficient way of trying to bind an enemy than just spamming One-Two or individually waiting for the bind punches to land binds.

Devastating Fistfighter Skills
Common Passives: HP Up, Curb DEF Up

Grit

Increases the user's damage when their HP is below a certain percentage of their maximum.

Grit's kind of dicey to really use if you're not using Giving it Everything on your Cestus--but, honestly, if you're going down the Devastating Fistfighter path, you really, REALLY should be using Giving it Everything.

Vajra Stance

Increases defense against STR-based attacks for the user and any party members in their row for a set amount of turns. Has a 70% speed modifier at all levels.

Excuse me for one moment while I laugh at a defense buff that caps out at 25% at levels 9/10.

Soul Smash

Deals melee STR-based bash damage to all enemies. Heals the user for a percentage of the damage dealt. Has an 80% speed modifier and -5 base accuracy at all levels.

Gives Devastating Fistfighters a way to contribute meaningfully to random encounters, and a little bit of sustain. I wouldn't necessarily max it out, but it's still useful.

Ougi Rengokusatsu
Requirements: Vajra Stance level 5, Soul Smash level 5

For one turn, the user will endure mortal damage once. The user's damage on the next turn is increased by some unknown function of the base increase and how much HP they have remaining. If I had to guess, the base damage increase and the percentage of HP the user is missing are added together to create the final multiplier. Essentially, surviving a fatal hit would leave the user at 1% HP (assuming the game rounds the % value), meaning that the damage increase would be 150% + 99% = 249%. It's roughly in line with what Interval gives, anyway. Has a 200% speed modifier at all levels.

A really goddamn strange charge skill that's also really goddamn dangerous to try and make use of. It can work if you're not dealing with enemies that don't have random-target skills, I guess, but... Ehhh. At least the endure effect also means that, assuming your Cestus doesn't get healed before they act next turn, they'll also get a guaranteed Grit bonus.

Giant Killer

Deals melee STR-based bash damage to one enemy. Damage is increased if the target has a higher percentage of their max HP than the user does--ie. if the user has 50% of their max HP and the target has 80%, the damage is amplified. While I'm not entirely certain if the damage bonus is additive or multiplicative, I see no reason to not assume it's additive--the scaling makes much more sense this way, as the increases per level are consistent. Has a 150% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Best used in the opening of FOE/boss fights, obviously. The damage from it can actually stack up really drat quickly between Giving it Everything and Grit bonuses--a level 10 amplified Giant Killer with level 10 GiE and Grit will deal 1800% damage. The issue is that you're investing skill points in a skill that's useful as an opener, but which becomes harder to use as the fight goes on. That doesn't make it useless, mind you, just that you might want to consider how much you value big opening damage. Combos pretty well with Ougi Rengokusatsu, if that's your thing, since the endure effect will leave your Cestus at 1 HP.

Back from the Dead
Requirements: Giving it Everything level 3

Deals melee STR-based bash damage to one enemy. Damage is affected in some way by how low the party's HP is. I cannot make any reasonable guesses on my own for how the damage is affected by the party's HP. However, the SQ5 @wiki has a few guesses based on hand-testing:

• The base damage is dealt when the party has completely full HP
  • A party average of 50% HP gives roughly a 66% damage bonus
  • A party average of 1% HP gives roughly a 500% damage bonus
  • The bonus is affected in some way by how much raw HP each party member is missing, not just the percentage

Has a 20% speed modifier and +50 base accuracy at all levels.

...Um. Okay. I called Ougi Rengokusatsu weird, but this one takes the drat cake.

Ougi Tenchihaten
Requirements: Giant Killer level 3, Back from the Dead level 3

Increases the user's damage on the next turn based on how much HP they recover on the turn that Ougi Tenchihaten is casted. How the damage increase value is modified is a mystery. The @wiki says that going from 1 HP to full HP in one turn made the test subject deal almost 4x damage on the next turn. Has a 200% speed modifier at all levels.

I have my reservations about giving opinions on a skill that, truthfully, I have no idea how it works, but:
  • The HP recovery gimmick is really hard to actually take advantage of, unless you combo it with Ougi Rengokusatsu I guess??
  • Holy poo poo if that @wiki testing is true

Kishinken
Requirements: Kijinken level 3

Consumes a percentage of the user's current HP to deal melee STR-based bash damage to one enemy. Has an 80% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Low damage. Boring.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 7: Rockface Rumble

Um, Kaelin. I'm really, really, really appreciative that you charge my things... But, um, do you think it'd be possible to be...nicer to everyone else?
Hm? Why should I? Everyone is so very below me. I only rank you slightly higher because your "games" provide interesting ways to pass the time and ever-so-slightly challenge my wits.
If you look up "lost cause" in the dictionary, Mio, you'll see a picture of Kaelin.
Hm? Did I hear something? Perhaps a 15 year old farm boy expressing his invalid opinions about other people?
Uh... Okay, maybe "everyone else" is a bit much to start... How about Magda?
Her? That Herbalist wannabe who can only succeed by failing in rapid succession? Ha.

We begin today not with the 2nd Stratum, but with killing a crayfish.

i am vengeance

Those claws will make for an excellent trumpet!

Red Iron Crayfish
HP: 2153
STR: 44
INT: 44
VIT: 30
WIS: 27
AGI: 27
LUC: 25
Skills:
  • Ice Slicer: Uses the legs. Deals 150% ranged INT-based ice damage to one row of party members. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Crimson Carapace. 100% chance. Sells for 111 en.
    • 1 needed to make Red Boots (+7 DEF, +7 MDEF).
    • 1 needed to make Ice Charm (+30% ice resistance).
    • 1 Crimson Carapace and 1 Bent Claw (Forest Monkey) needed to make Red Shell Coffin (+35 ATK, +38 MATK, Freeze Break, Silver x3).
  • Conditional: Chopped-off Pincer (Kill with cut damage). 100% chance. Sells for 164 en.
    • 1 needed to make Scissor Cannon (+30 ATK, +32 MATK, Ice Slicer, Silver x3).
Damage Resistances:
75% 75% 100%
100% 50% 150%
Disable Resistances:
50% 100% 50% 50% 50% 100% 50%
10% 50%
50% 50% 50%

Do you have some way to survive Ice Slicer? Good job, you can probably win against the Crayfish, as long as you have at least some non-physical damage.

(Predict.)

Might as well have Alexis dodge Ice Slicer.

(Liver Blow.)

Ice Slicer uses the legs, so I want Cecil to bind those.

(Miasma Weapon.)

Gonna try to go for a paralysis on the crayfish.

(Magic Shield.)

I'd rather have Kaelin just get Amplifier out of the way, but I also kind of want my front line to, y'know, live.

(Prayer: Cold Rain.)

Same reasoning as Magic Shield. I'd rather have Mio use Prayer: Eradication, but that's secondary to making sure I still have a front line.

IF THAT WAS JUST A COUPLE OF OCTAVES LOWER, THAT'D BE THE SOUND OF A TIMPANI!

Protect us, Hitsugaya!
...Who?
Uh... An...icy death god! Yeah.
"Japan" has quite the odd deities.

(Ice Slicer.)

Hah!
COLD COLD COLD AAAAAAAGH!

Stacking both Magic Shield and Prayer: Cold Rain was the right call.

(Amplifier and Prayer: Eradication.)

NOW I get to use the fun buffs.

(Scythe of Numb Stasis.)

Ooh, first try.

(Normal attack.)

At least Ice Slicer is really the only dangerous thing that the crayfish can do.

I'LL PUT THAT FIN TO USE AS A WIND INSTRUMENT!
If I may interrupt your blind, irrational rage for one second: How, exactly, do you plan to do that?
I'LL FIND A WAY.

(One-Two.)

Now that I actually have the bind I really want, I might as well show One-Two. (It's level 1 right now, incidentally.)

(Lightning.)

The crayfish is weak to volt, so it only stands to reason that I'd use Lightning. You could use Ice Lance if you feel like losing, I guess.

And now Mio's run out of things to do.

This is below even child's play.

One-Two's initial hit sucks, but...

What you saw there was Arm Break. One-Two has a chance (34% at level 1) to use a basic bind punch (Flicker, Arm Break, Liver Blow) that corresponds to any binds the target doesn't have--for example, if the enemy has their head bound, One-Two could trigger either Arm Break or Liver Blow, but not Flicker.

It can ramp up pretty quickly.

6 turns in, and we're doing pretty well, given that we only have Kaelin for elemental damage.

(Red Iron Crayfish is observing the situation.)

Oh, yeah, the crayfish'll sometimes just skip turns. Fine by me!

(Defeated Red Iron Crayfish!)

Could you have perhaps cooked the crayfish, instead?
If you would consider extraneous food a priority over victory.

(Received 1 Crimson Carapace.)

Eh, whatever, I'll get the conditional later.

We got a Crimson Carapace, which we need for New menu development.

Looks like you got what the chef was asking for. Good work. Oh, is this it? It's huge... Just from the size alone, I can't really picture how it would be used in a meal, but maybe a pro chef knows what they're doing. Maybe I should pay their restaurant a visit to check it out? As always, I'll handle the delivery, so don't worry, it's getting to the client. I suppose I'd better also deliver your reward. Again, good work. Just keep it up and you'll do fine.

(Obtained 3 Boiled Crayfishes.)

Sylphid counterattacks now deal 71% damage, and Sylphid now has a 115% base chance to counter.

Feeble Miasma now increases infliction chances by 1.31x.

So close to Oracle: Dance.

Let's get back to it, then.

I'll need someone with Acrobatics if I want to actually make use of this event.

Hmm... You know, I've never actually tasted turkey before.
Ooh, I can cook something when we get back! Raven, you're gonna eat with us too, right?!
Um, s-sure.

Numbing Zemmy
HP: 259
STR: 39
INT: 28
VIT: 26
WIS: 25
AGI: 33
LUC: 38
Skills:
  • Dying Curse: Used upon death. Uses the head. Attempts to inflict paralysis on all party members, with a 60% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Brown Feather. 55% chance. Sells for 25 en.
    • 1 needed to make Paralysis Gas (60% base chance to inflict paralysis on all enemies).
    • 2 Brown Feathers and 1 Triangular Kitten Ear (Pouncing Caracal) needed to make Sikhara Boots (+6 DEF, +16 MDEF).
Damage Resistances:
100% 150% 100%
150% 150% 150%
Disable Resistances:
100% 100% 50% 100% 150% 100% 100%
50% 100%
100% 100% 100%

Remember Yellow Gels from EO2U? They're back, and they're showing up much earlier in the game! I'd say kill these things last if at all possible, but as this formation shows, that's basically not an option a lot of the time.

ugggg death effects

You can also bind their heads.

Plump Turkey
HP: 370
STR: 38
INT: 33
VIT: 29
WIS: 26
AGI: 34
LUC: 26
Skills:
  • Guard Wing: Uses the arms. Increases one row of enemies' physical defense by 50% for 4 turns. Has an 80% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Guardbird's Tailfeather. 55% chance. Sells for 28 en.
    • 1 needed to make Heper Ai (+34 ATK, +30 MATK, LUC Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 2 needed to make Turkey Barrette (+13 DEF, +10 MDEF).
Damage Resistances:
100% 150% 100%
150% 100% 100%

Plump Turkeys are a nuisance and can drag fights out annoyingly long. They're not too bad on their own, but there's a few enemies later on where having their DEF buffed is a bad thing.

(Guard Wing.)

Does a feathered wing really guard that much?

Hmhm, try me.

A touch too slow.

Ho, that was a close--

But...I hadn't...exacted my revenge...

Ah, gently caress. That's Predict's "each dodged attack lowers evasion" and damage amplification biting me in the rear end.

Quoth the Reaper, "nevermore!"
...Um, is that one of those Japan things?
No what no shut up no what. No.

I'LL SMASH YOUR WINGBONES AND PUT YOUR FEATHERS IN A CAP!

Murder is the wrong bird!
EXCUSE ME?
Um, never mind! Dumb joke! You probably don't get it!

Um... Flying's weak to electricity, right?
Ooh, you're learning fast!
I wonder if an animal that plump could actually fly...

(Received 1 Brown Feather and 1 Guardbird's Tailfeather.)

Pouncing Caracal
HP: 284
STR: 40
INT: 27
VIT: 30
WIS: 29
AGI: 38
LUC: 24
Skills:
  • Dropkick: Uses the legs. Deals 150% melee STR-based bash damage to one party member. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Triangular Kitten Ear. Sells for 26 en.
    • 1 needed to make Kitten Coffin (+32 ATK, +42 MATK, LUC Up 2, Bronze x3).
    • 3 needed to make Health Belt (+40 HP).
    • 4 needed to make Chemise (+16 DEF, +24 MDEF).
    • 2 Brown Feathers (Numbing Zemmy) and 1 Triangular Kitten Ear needed to make Sikhara Boots (+6 DEF, +16 MDEF).
Damage Resistances:
100% 100% 100%
50% 100% 150%
Disable Resistances:
100% 100% 150% 100% 100% 100! 100%
100% 100%
100% 100% 150%

Pouncing Caracals continue an EO tradition: early enemies whose only skill is a physical attack that hits harder.

...I kinda feel bad for--

(Dying Curse.)

H-h-ha. A-a-amateurs. A-a-a sk-sk--
Stop.

(Received 1 Triangular Kitten Ear and 1 Brown Feather.)

(Received 1 Cecidium naturally, 1 Cecidium from Alexis, 1 Cecidium and 1 Aromatic Moss from Cecil, and 2 Cecidiums from Raven.)

6F, D2 Take Point
  • Cecidium: 53% chance. Sells for 60 en.
    • 1 needed to make Hamao (Restores 100 HP and 25 TP to one party member).
  • Aromatic Moss: 22% chance. Sells for 70 en.
    • 1 needed to make Bravant (Increases one party member's attack by 40% for 6 turns).
  • Rainbow Fruit: 25% chance. Sells for 175 en.
    • 1 needed to make Fire/Ice/Volt Jar (Deals 110% ranged INT-based fire/ice/volt damage to one enemy; 90% speed modifier, 99 base accuracy).
  • Ambush Chance: 3%

Having decent TP restoration this early in an EO game is refreshing after both of the Untolds.

This event happens automatically.

You stop as you come across a huge boulder stuck in a smashed wall.

It must have fallen down from the cliff top. On closer inspection, you can see that there's a small gap between the boulder and the ground. Is there something trapped in there? If you squint, you can almost make out some kind of animal, but it's too dark to tell for sure. You'd probably be able to see it if you had Night Vision. Alternatively, if someone was strong enough they'd be able to simply move the boulder. Either method would reveal the true identity of whatever's down there.
Anyone here capable of shoving that rock or seeing in the dark?
I would need quite some time to move that boulder.
If I had remembered to bring my wondrous self-invented night vision apparatus, I would be. But, alas, I did not think this party would be incapable of simply moving a boul--
Be quiet before I shove your cape in your nostrils. Whole.

No-one in this party is capable of learning Feats of Strength, nor does Kaelin know Night Vision, so we'll have to come back later.

Why does it take a skill point to use a racial advantage like night vision? It's really quite odd.

Another automatic event.

As you continue along the trail of bare rock, you notice that the ground seems strangely soft and stop. While there's been nothing but rock so far, there must be some sort of water source nearby, because the ground seems muddy. You can either stop to investigate, or ignore it and continue on.

Ignoring it leads to bad things--specifically, a character accidentally triggering a rockslide. Acrobatics lets them dodge it. Let's observe, shall we?

As you cautiously examine the area, you notice a number of rocks perched precariously at the top of a cliff. In the next moment, you feel a small tremor which knocks them down! You watch in astonishment as they rain down upon the path before you like meteorites! If you hadn't stopped when you did, you might have ended up in the middle of that. Once again reminded of the dangers that lurk in the Labyrinth, you resolve to keep an eye on the clifftops as you continue to explore.

"The threat of falling rocks

Prudence pays off as you successfully avoid the falling rocks."

One random battle later:

The profundities are mine to ransack!

I decide to start having Kaelin level up Incantation: Compression Form. At level 1, it costs 5 TP, and multiplies the damage of Kaelin's next skill by 1.65x, in exchange for making it only hit one target. Yes, Compression got seriously nerfed from EO2U--it's a charge skill instead of a buff.

Longterm viewers may be surprised to learn I've never used an Alchemist in EO2U. As such, I'd only heard about the brokenness of Compression second-hand before Ragnar's LP of the game in question.

It's convinced me that I more than ever need to corner the market. If any of you guys submit Alchemists in any future LPs of EO games that have them, I'll cut you, don't disturb my monopoly.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, I guess Kaelin is fine too.

There's a secret passage here.

(Obtained Flash Pendant.)

...Huh. The Flash Pendant gives the wearer the ability to use Flasher, which costs 10 TP, and stuns all FOEs in the current room, preventing them from moving for one turn--basically the Flash Grenades from the Untolds.

Neat, but useless.

I've never used a single one of this item or the... other... one.

Back to town to revive Alexis due to another ill-fated Predict.

Heper Ai (+34 ATK, +30 MATK, LUC Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Guardbird's Tailfeather.

Turkey Barrette (+13 DEF, +10 MDEF) is made from 2 Guardbird's Tailfeathers.

Hamao (Restores 100 HP and 25 TP to one party member) is made from 1 Cecidium.

Bravant (Increases one party member's attack by 40% for 6 turns) is made from 1 Aromatic Moss.

Paralysis Gas (60% base chance to inflict paralysis on all enemies) is made from 1 Brown Feather.

A boring encounter gives Cecil a level.

We also finished Loves monsters more than regular meals.

One-Two's initial hit now deals 103% damage, and has a 36% chance to trigger a basic bind punch.

Fish point here.

As you exit the narrow corridor through the door, you find yourself in a small room enclosed by wall and cliff. Having a good view of the surroundings, you feel this would be an excellent place to rest yourselves after the long trek. You can stop to have a meal and a break, or hurry on instead.
I could do with a bit of a rest.
Hmph. True pinnacles of fitness require no rest.
Good for you. I'd rather relax a bit, though.
Considering your fatigue, you decide to take a break. Leaning against the walls, you take off your heavy armor and enjoy the high altitude breeze.

How soothing.

...Please tell me that buzzing isn't--
However, while you're resting, you suddenly hear a loud noise coming from the cliff! Apparently it was naive to think you were safe here, as you seem to have been spotted by flying monsters who swoop down to attack!

Eh, whatever.

...You manage to repel the unexpected attack. Reminded to never let your guard down, you return to exploring.

"A dangerous break

You took a brief break in the Labyrinth before being attacked by dangerous monsters!"

Feeble Miasma now multiplies infliction chances by 1.34x.

And I finally have access to Oracle: Dance.

As you wind your way though the windy canyon, you come across a guard standing beside a fire, as if taking cover behind a rock.

When he see you, he raises a hand in greeting. He informs you that they take shifts patrolling the area, and take their breaks by this fire. He lets you know that you're welcome to rest here too, and begins roasting a lump of bacon over the fire. You're free to either rest like he suggested, or follow his lead and cook something.

Stopping to rest heals 25 HP and 15 TP. We don't need that right now, though.

Have you gathered what you needed for the Monster Research Society? Good work. Okay, I'll hold onto them for you, as always. They'll be expecting a delivery from me anyway. I suppose you'll be wanting your reward then. Keep it up, if you can.

(Obtained 2 Medica IIIs.)

Medica IIIs restore 200 HP to one party member. That is overkill for everyone right now.

Sylphid counterattacks now deal 75% damage, and Sylphid has a 120% base chance to activate.

Kitten Coffin (+32 ATK, +42 MATK, LUC Up 2, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Triangular Kitten Ear.

Sikhara Boots (+6 DEF, +16 MDEF) are made from 2 Brown Feathers and 1 Triangular Kitten Ear.

At this point, I also arbitrarily decide to take care of Hunter's pride.

You've arrived at the room with the traps, from the request. If the client can be believed, the traps will explode when stepped on. To avoid that, you've been entrusted with a Mana Detection Device to help you determine their locations. You could probably also make use of anyone who can detect mana naturally.
Kukuku, it would appear that you have need of my abilities.

This quest is basically Minesweeper: EO Event Edition. Every tile in this room is now considered an event tile. When we press A on one of them...

We're given this menu, where our options are:
  • Use a Mana Detection Device
  • Rely on someone with Sense Mana
  • Disarm a trap
  • Do nothing

Mana Detection Devices suck. They only tell you how many traps are directly near you--not what direction they're in. When we use Sense Mana, we'll be told if there are any traps directly near us within one of the four cardinal directions (cardinal directions mean relative to the map, instead of where your camera is). Once we know where a trap is (they're always in the same three spots)--in this case, to the east of us...

Confident in your choice, you place the talisman in that direction... When you do so, a pale blue sigil appears and begins to fade, as if it's being absorbed by the talisman. Before long, the process is finished and the ground returns to normal. You've safely disarmed one of the hidden traps!
Whosoever stands against me, stands briefly.
They're inanimate, non-thinking mines. Get over yourself.
...Probably time to strike that one off the list...

For the sake of brevity, here's where the mine locations are:

Note that stepping on a mine damages your entire party for 100 HP, in addition to lowering the reward.

With that, all the traps are gone, so you've safely completed the request! All that's left is to report back to the bar.

So you're done with the hunter's request? Good work. From the lack of burnt hair, I assume you completed it without a hitch.
Yes, well, Mr. Ignorant Prince over there nearly stepped on--
Kaelin. It's not very nice to lie about others.
Put the rapier away, Alexis.
I knew you could do it if you put your mind to it. But you're not here for my praise, are you? I suppose you'll want the reward too. Well, here you go. I hope to see you again soon.

(Obtained 3 Panic Gasses.)

50% base chance to inflict panic on all enemies. That's honestly pretty good as far as panic chances though--they're generally lower than other ailments because of how powerful panic is as an ailment.

One-Two now deals 106% on the initial hit, and has a 38% chance to activate the basic bind punches.

Incantation: Compression Form now multiplies damage by 1.68x.

Finally put a point into Oracle: Dance. I should probably explain what it actually does. Firstly, it requires that the user have one of the elemental resistance buffs on them--Prayer: Blaze, Prayer: Cold Rain, or Prayer: Purple Lightning. When Oracle: Dance is casted, it purges the oldest elemental resistance buff from the user (in case they have multiple), and deals ranged INT-based damage of whatever element whose resistance was cancelled. What's more, though, is that it reduces all enemies' resistance to that element for one turn.

...huh?

Yep, it's an offensive, heavily nerfed version of the Fantasias from EOU/2U. It has more generic utility than those skills ever did, since it deals damage, and it's actually a pretty meaningful way for a Shaman to contribute to a battle once they've thrown out all of their buffs (a longstanding problem with EO buff-based classes like Troubadour is that they'll eventually run out of things to do), but making use of the elemental resistance reduction takes a bit of forward planning on the player's part.

Okay, sure, I guess, if you say so?

In the interest of not releasing giant updates all at once, that's all for today. Next time: we finish up 6F.

Rea fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 7, 2016

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Why do you transliterate the word for Cicada as Zemmy?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fate.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I could do with a bit of a rest.
Hmph. True pinnacles of fitness require no rest.
Good for you. I'd rather relax a bit, though.

I'm now envisioning Kaelin as the buffest party member in the group :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
You have defeated the guardian and shattered the glamour that has has stopped anyone from reaching further into the Labyrinth for hundreds of years. In the time it took you to return to town and report your success, guards, adventurers and wanderers have fully explored every floor up to the next boss, and have a litany of requests, advice, and favors to ask of you.

• Locked thread