Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
My family is spending Christmas in New Orleans. I've never been there before. are there any foods/places that we can't miss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Aw man, I feel super guilty that I didn't see this thread before with two people coming to Cardiff on this page alone. I hope you both enjoyed and would dig finding out where you went after if you're still reading this thread.

Ah just realized it was the same person twice! A return visit then?

What did you think of The Clink? I found the booking page was a bit broken when I went a year or so ago and I wasn't able to get the date I wanted on my attempted 2nd visit but I think it's great. Lots of pride taken in the food (the chef came up to me before I started eating to rotate the plate 90 degrees as he 'didn't put that much effort in for the server to mess it all up', ha), and the quality of it was excellent while being fairly priced. It's a very positive program and I hope it's helped turn a lot of lives around.

That was me twice because I got no answer the forest time. Anyway, I did decide against the clink after all because I just did not have the time. I ended up walking from 9a.m. to 10pm on the only full day I was in Cardiff and decided to see more and skip the restaurant.
First night I arrived late and went to chippy lane for the the famous boneless curry chicken at Dorothy's...was that the name? Amazing stuff. The next day I ate breakfast in the market hall, had hotstone welshcakes, a hotdog at hogwurst, nitrogen icecram in one of the arcades and dinner at the grazing shed (lamb burger). Then I left for 2 days. I came back and had breakfast in the market hall again, more welshcakes and finally Indian street food at the taffy festival in the castle.
All in all very nice food, would eat again.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 17, 2016

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Scott Justice posted:

My family is spending Christmas in New Orleans. I've never been there before. are there any foods/places that we can't miss?

It's not much of a family/holiday atmosphere, but Coop's Place had my favorite food in NOLA when I was there last. The rabbit jambalaya was outstanding

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hopper posted:

That was me twice because I got no answer the forest time. Anyway, I did decide against the clink after all because I just did not have the time. I ended up walking from 9a.m. to 10pm on the only full day I was in Cardiff and decided to see more and skip the restaurant.
First night I arrived late and went to chippy lane for the the famous boneless curry chicken at Dorothy's...was that the name? Amazing stuff. The next day I ate breakfast in the market hall, had hotstone welshcakes, a hotdog at hogwurst, nitrogen icecram in one of the arcades and dinner at the grazing shed (lamb burger). Then I left for 2 days. I came back and had breakfast in the market hall again, more welshcakes and finally Indian street food at the taffy festival in the castle.
All in all very nice food, would eat again.

Ah rad, I know most of those places if I haven't had the pleasure of eating at them. I used to live quite close to Hogwurst but never got the opportunity. I found Grazing Shed underwhelming personally, but it might have been a bad day. Glad you had a good time!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Scott Justice posted:

Lots, and you won't have time for them all.

Jacques-Imo's is famous for a reason. Get there early.

Everyone likes Drago's for their charred oysters. They're a little too covered in butter for my taste, but they are good.

R&O's is famous for their huge muffalettas. Get half.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

My sister's going to Hong Kong for a couple of nights and I haven't been there for ten years so no idea where to eat.

What's the place to go that's not too expensive?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I was in HK last month.
If she has the time and inclination go down to the Ap Lei Chau market cooked food centre. Get stupid fresh seafood of all sorts in the wet market for rock bottom prices, then take it upstairs and have it cooked for even cheaper. We had an amazing meal for two for something like $330HKD ($250 for seafood, $80 for the preparation) with a red snapper and a bunch of abalone.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/%E9%B4%A8%E8%84%B7%E6%B4%B2%E8%A1%97%E5%B8%82%E5%8F%8A%E7%86%9F%E9%A3%9F%E4%B8%AD%E5%BF%83-%E9%A6%99%E6%B8%AF

If that's not her scene, honestly, get Open Rice and just see what looks good wherever she's staying. I can't even read Chinese but still used Open Rice because ratings and pictures transcend language barriers.

Language barrier wasn't a problem at ap lei chau market either, we just pointed at what we wanted, paid, then took it upstairs and handed it to whomever looked ready to take it from us. Figured we'd eat whatever they'd bring us, and it was all amazing.

Probably the best non seafood meal I had was this Sian place - http://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong/r-yau-yuen-siu-tsui-jordan-shanxi-shan-noodles-rice-noodles-r185837 Eat biang biang noodles until death, die happy.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 12, 2016

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Scott Justice posted:

Consider Root. I have only done drinks and apps there but I keep going back. Great food made with care, especially if you like the idea of farm to table concepts. Great house made pate and cured meats, pickled veg and home made condiments. They also play a bit in the molecular realm of that is your thing. I had a foie gras spun sugar dish that was pretty great.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I am shameful. I live in Brisbane, Queensland (Australia) but have basically never gone to a "nice" restaurant. Mainly because everyone I know loves them some all you can eat places and crap. Well, I'm sick of them. Can anyone recommend me some good-great places in and around Brisbane that aren't ridiculously expensive? I was looking at Aria, so pricing of around AU$50 for a main would probably be fine. Thinking of treating myself before Christmas. Thanks.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm going to be in Philly next week. I'll be staying near Chinatown. Any suggestions of places to go? I'm looking for a restaurant in Chinatown but is there anything else nearby that's worth going to?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

I am shameful. I live in Brisbane, Queensland (Australia) but have basically never gone to a "nice" restaurant. Mainly because everyone I know loves them some all you can eat places and crap. Well, I'm sick of them. Can anyone recommend me some good-great places in and around Brisbane that aren't ridiculously expensive? I was looking at Aria, so pricing of around AU$50 for a main would probably be fine. Thinking of treating myself before Christmas. Thanks.

I love http://www.vervecafe.com.au because I love Cider, and I love Risotto. If that's not your thing then let me know and I can peer deeper into the dark recesses of my memory, it's been a few years since I've visited your fine city. (Quite surprisingly so at first I treated it as little more than a layover).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mariooncrack posted:

I'm going to be in Philly next week. I'll be staying near Chinatown. Any suggestions of places to go? I'm looking for a restaurant in Chinatown but is there anything else nearby that's worth going to?

I've lived here about a year and Philly has crazy good food. Obvious answer is to hit up Reading Terminal Market since you're near Chinatown, especially if you can get there in the middle of a weekday. If you want to get food in Chinatown specifically there are a ton of good options depending on what you're in the mood for-
Terakawa (ramen)
Bubblefish (sushi)
Banana Leaf (Malaysian/SE Asian)
Ting Wong (Chinese-style noodles)
Dim Sum Garden (duh)
Pho Cali (also duh, but I ate there today and their banh mi is no slouch either)

Also if you're into bubble tea then Tea Do is the place to hit up. My wife and I do lunch in Chinatown every Saturday and still have several more places we need to get to, so let me know if you go anywhere good that isn't on this list.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Aquila posted:

I love http://www.vervecafe.com.au because I love Cider, and I love Risotto. If that's not your thing then let me know and I can peer deeper into the dark recesses of my memory, it's been a few years since I've visited your fine city. (Quite surprisingly so at first I treated it as little more than a layover).

That's a great suggestion! I love cider and I'm a fiend for a good risotto. Also it's right near central. I'll have to check it out next time I go out with friends (And we have the money). If you can think of any others I'll be all ears though

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

If you find yourself in Tulsa.

Roosevelt's is a new place and is very good. Get the widowmaker sandwich.

Mr. Nice Guys food truck. Amazing tacos.

Nearby in Skiatook, OK go to Mac's barbeque.

In Bartlesville, OK, Frank & Lola's is amazing.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Berlin Döner Kebap
You can trust me on this, not only have I lived both in Berlin and Turkey, I also have an Islamic avatar which makes me authentic as gently caress.

Why a post on Döner Kebap in Berlin? Because you can find the best Döner Kebap (of the in-bread/fast food variety) in Berlin. But you have to be careful, because you might also find a lot of mediocre Kebap there. This is of course not surprising because most Kebap in the world is either mediocre or terrible.
The only country where you are guaranteed to find mostly good Kebap is indeed Turkey. Plus, when talking about the non-fastfood plate variety, I have had some really drat excellent both in Istanbul and Berlin.
For the fast-food variety, the best, however, is in Berlin.

Döner Kebaps come in the variety of chicken or meat (Hünchen/Tavuk or Rind/Et). Chicken is not a meat for Turkish people, which makes being vegetarian a great deal easier in Turkey than elsewhere. Meat can be beef or lamb/mutton, but the best there is beef with fat of lamb. If you are in London or Paris, you might also have the variety with rat and horse, but we are considering Berlin here.
As with everything, preferably there is a lot of fat.

As alluded above, Döner Kebaps can be eaten as a plated dish (Portion/Porsiyon), which only makes sense if you are eating in a proper joint. This is easy to identify because you will see wood-ovens and wood fires.
Let's focus on the fast-food variety, which you are more likely to encounter.

A taxonomy of Döner classes consists of one bad and two good varieties.
The first is ye regular industrial Döner Kebap. Prepared in a factory (in Europe probably in Germany), frozen or refridgerated and sold directly or by large markets. In case of chicken they often do not look "hand stacked" or are uniform shape even though they are fresh. For meat, which may be finer, it's a bit more difficult to see. Asking is pretty pointless because Turkish people in Berlin ("Allemanci") will tell you in any case that, yes, they were hand made by Anne herself this morning and how dare you. Even if they were in fact bought at Metro Market. Another heuristic is that it seems the Döner was roasting on low heat for a very long time. lovely places don't sell a lot so that's how they do.
The proper way to eat this Döner is to add a lot of sauce and be drunk.
Probably 99% of Döner Kebaps outside of Germany or Turkey fall in this category.

The second category in Berlin are the hand-made, proper Turkish Kebaps. A good place is the original Hasir restaurant in Kreuzberg (not its upscale offshoots), or Imren Grill. Take the meat variety (I think the Chicken variety is better in Turkey). Ask for no sauce except oil and citron juice. If the Kebap is good, this is vastly preferable. Places which have wood fire are probably good. You will get a better product if you order in Turkish. This might sound unfair, but such is life. You will also find a higher density of good Döners in Turkey than in Berlin, although "in bread" the Turkish Kebaps are still not so good for reasons of bread and the fact that they add regular, soggy french fries for some reason I could never figure out.

The third variety is something that only exists in Berlin. It is called "Gemüsekebap" and you will probably find it to be the best Kebap you ever had. It is almost always Chicken. Meat quality is decent.
What makes this one special is that they add roasted eggplants, zucchini, tomatoes, crisp roasted potatoes and a lot of fresh herbs as well as spices. They also add good white cheese by default. Normal Kebaps in Berlin usually only have salad/tomatoes and cabbage, perhaps some lovely Feta. Kebaps in Turkey add soggy french fries and plain salad.
Gemüsekebap is best served with oil and citron juice, but sauces are available IF YOU ARE STUPID or the joint is somehow bad. Hot sauce (homemade pls) is okay tho I don't judge.
Although it is still fast food, it is usually prepared with an eye to quality and taste. Feel free to order in English and make sure you look like an expat Hipster.
Don't get me wrong, nowadays there are also bad, fake Gemüsekebaps in Berlin. But if you use Yelp and go to the usual suspects, it is usually good. I have never had a bad one at Mustafas (although its not the best and there is a line of two blocks), the one at Kastanienallee is my fav. If the meat is good and the roasted veggies are fresh, these things can be downright mindblowing and easily earn the award of best fast-food of the world.

Finally, you have a choice of bread. There is first Dürüm, which is in Lavash. It's good and sometimes prepared fresh for you from dough. This is the same in Turkey and Berlin.
Then, there is Döner in Pita bread. For some reason I find this to be much better in Berlin than in Turkey. Another variety, only available in Turkey, is in bread (Ekmek). Sadly, the bread in Turkey is really not very good (like too large and stale baguette) and this, although cheap, should be avoided.

So now you are informed.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Goons, I need help!!!

I'm in San Francisco tomorrow night and need help deciding between Nopa, Boulevard, and Foreign Cinema.

I'm a vegetarian but my dinner buddies aren't. I think I'm leaning towards Boulevard but I'm not 100% sure.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

angor posted:

Goons, I need help!!!

I'm in San Francisco tomorrow night and need help deciding between Nopa, Boulevard, and Foreign Cinema.

I'm a vegetarian but my dinner buddies aren't. I think I'm leaning towards Boulevard but I'm not 100% sure.

No idea but do yourself a favor and go to the Baked Bear while you're there.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Don't have a huge sweet tooth and only in town for 2 nights (busy during the day) but it looks like there's on in Tempe and I'm in AZ for a few weeks so I'll check that out!

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

angor posted:

Goons, I need help!!!

I haven't been to Nopa or FC, but Boulevard is one of the best place's I've ever eaten. Never had any of the veggie dishes, but the vegetables sides have always been great.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Mustafa's Gemüse Döner is overrated hipster poo poo. Better grab a bratwurst at curry 36 which is 10 m down the street and doesn't have a line of undernourished vegans that goes to the next block.

Also, if you are in Munich try Türkitch in Humboldtstraße (Near U-Bahn stop Kolumbusplatz. They have several kebabs that will rock your world.

Recommendation: Normal or Halloumi kebab with 50/50 Türkitch and special sauce.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

What are some good restaurants/places to eat in Stockholm that wont break the bank? I'm going to be there for a week in February and I'd love some recommendations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Never been to Stockholm but 1 general tip for Sweden is to go for lunch. It is less expensive than dinner in general. Look for "dagens lunch" on the menu, that's the dish of the day basically. Some places also do lunch buffet.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Any updates on Charlotte? I'll definitely be going to Halley's again. Also rolling into Asheville for a day.

Link to last round d of suggestions: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=445960046#post445960046

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 1, 2016

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Amergin posted:

Denver, CO

Going to update this real quick on my way out of town:

Keep in mind Denver's best local meats (all of this is IMHO) are beef, buffalo and lamb. Don't go for fish unless it's Sushi Den or a local river fish. The food styles of Denver in my mind are Southwest (green chili), "New American" and/or American, with the largest "ethnic" cuisines being "Mexican" and "Vietnamese" (AKA pho).

If you're traveling to/through Denver, you should try
Coffee:
Bardo (delicious sweet coffee drinks)
Sweet Bloom (delicious straight coffee)
Crema Coffee House (this is the best quiche I’ve ever had, also great coffee, fruit juice and sandwiches)

Alcohol/Cocktails:
Golden Moon Speakeasy (the spot for cocktails in my opinion)
Acorn (lots of food/small plates but the cocktails and donuts should be what you get here - donuts sell out quick so it's better as a brunch day-drinking stop)

Dessert:
Sweet Action (tons of ice cream flavors, good variety and constantly changing)
Taste of Denmark (European pastries, the bear claws and almond bars are my favorites - may be closed at times in the summer when the family leaves for Denmark for vacation)

Real Food:
D'Deli (one of many good delis around but this one is my favorite, highly recommend the Aspen Buddha)
Old Major (just recently checked this one out, good charcuterie and great pork dishes)
Las Tortas (best tortas in town)
Brewery Bar II (rellenos and green chile, little dive bar, great respite from hipster Denver)
Sushi Den (still my favorite sushi place in town but to be honest you shouldn't be getting sushi in Denver)
Axios Estiatorio (Greek, heavy but good moussaka, pastitsio and dolmades)

Outside Denver:
Bin 707 Foodbar (Grand Junction, good charcuterie, entrees can be hit or miss but even when they miss it's still good, just not great)
Meadery of the Rockies (delicious sweet wine in Palisade, CO)
Two Rivers Winery (my personal favorite winery out in the Palisade/Grand Junction area)
Peach's Corner Cafe (Aspen, really popular but good benedicts and probably one of the better breakfasts you'll have here)
Pyramid Cafe (Aspen, best food I had out there, the Thai sweet corn soup and Petaluma duck both blew me away)
First Ascent (Crested Butte, best food I had in the area and delicious coffee to go with it)
Daily Bread (Glenwood Springs place we normally stop at if driving through)

I would also say that while Colorado is packed with natural wonders and beauty and whatnot, the best outing we ever took out here was going from Denver -> Gunnison -> Crested Butte -> Grand Junction in the last week or so of September. The drives were just hours of gorgeous colors and aspen groves, and Crested Butte by itself was breathtaking.

EDIT: I'm not much of a beer guy but obviously there are TONS of breweries around Denver and I would highly recommend you do some research and hit at least one up if you're in town. I just drink my friends' fancy beer in their overpriced homes.

If you plan on being out here for a while, here are some of our favorite regular places (in addition to the places listed above):
Italian
Café Jordano
Panzano
Osteria Marco

Chinese
Hong Kong BBQ
Lao Wang
Zoe Mama
New Peach Garden (ON CHINESE MENU: pork sandwich, pan-fried onion bread, beef noodle soup, hot pot, lamb with cumin)

Vietnamese
Vinh Xuong Bakery (banh mi, duck banh mi on weekends, good Vietnamese coffee)
New Saigon (banh mi, cane sugar drink)

Japanese
Uncle (good ramen, wings and apps but overpriced)
Domo (sushi and donburi)

Korean
Tofu House
Dae Gee

Thai
Thai Monkey Club
J’s Noodles Star Thai (just for the prik pow noodles)

Indian
Biju’s Little Curry Shop (curry bowls)
Masalaa (South Indian food)

Breakfast
Snooze (be prepared to wait)
Sassafras
Syrup
Devil’s Food
Denver Biscuit Company

Drinks
Fluid Coffee Bar
Linger (drinks and bun sliders)

Desserts
Little Man Ice Cream (usually we do Sweet Action but if we're in the neighborhood, we just deal with the wait here)
Sweet Cow

Other
Curtis Park Deli
Infinitus Pizza Pie
Yabby Hut (cajun seafood)
Makan Malaysian Cafe (go for the tasting menu on Fridays & Saturdays if possible)
Queen of Sheba Ethiopian
Cebiche (Peruvian, get papa a la huancaina & aji de gallina)

Amergin fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 26, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Amergin posted:

Going to update this real quick on my way out of town :words:
Well this is timely, I'll be in Denver this weekend.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Just booked a week solo in Palm Springs in January.. where should I eat?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

Just booked a week solo in Palm Springs in January.. where should I eat?

Be prepared to eat early everything closes at like 8pm at the latest there. I was there for a few days earlier this year and was underwhelmed by almost everywhere. The one place I found that sounded really good was closed for a summer break while I was there. Can't remember the name of it though.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
The beer goons had some good recommendations, but where can I get good food in Charleston, SC?

We're not picky at all, fine dining or dingy hole in the wall.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

trauma llama posted:

The beer goons had some good recommendations, but where can I get good food in Charleston, SC?

Idk about Charlston in general, but Husk owns and you should eat there

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I ate at the Tattooed Moose in Charleston a few years back. Really good dive bar food.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Any last minute suggestions for Richmond VA on a Saturday? Both lunch and dinner.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sextro posted:

Any last minute suggestions for Richmond VA on a Saturday? Both lunch and dinner.

Richmond had a ton of awesome food. I fly there once a month or so for tattoo work.

Metzger's - Elevated German food. The pork chop and the potatoes are outstanding. Great cocktails.
The Answer - Brewpub serving Thai food. Both the beer and the Thai food are excellent. Really good Bahn Mi.
Lunch/Dinner - They are two attached restaurants with different menus. They do a great brunch on Sundays.
The Black Sheep - I've only done brunch here but it was excellent.
Gwar Bar - Kind of a dive, but the food is good and it's owned by the metal band Gwar and if you know who they are you will want to go here.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

trauma llama posted:

Mentioned before, if you want to eat at one of the epicenters of the "southern food revival" movement, try to get in at Husk.

Also:

Early Bird Diner - my personal chicken and waffles mecca
HoM - fancy but delicious burgers
Magnolias - southern food in a setting that'll make you think you have a domestic back at home
167 Raw - seafood
Blossom - bit of everything
Sticky Fingers - BBQ
Smoke BBQ - BBQ

Personally I'd make Early Bird and Husk the top of the list of places to hit up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hit me with Edinburgh. Especially over Christmas.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

rockcity posted:

Richmond had a ton of awesome food. I fly there once a month or so for tattoo work.

Metzger's - Elevated German food. The pork chop and the potatoes are outstanding. Great cocktails.
The Answer - Brewpub serving Thai food. Both the beer and the Thai food are excellent. Really good Bahn Mi.
Lunch/Dinner - They are two attached restaurants with different menus. They do a great brunch on Sundays.
The Black Sheep - I've only done brunch here but it was excellent.
Gwar Bar - Kind of a dive, but the food is good and it's owned by the metal band Gwar and if you know who they are you will want to go here.

The answer seems to be... The answer. Gwar bar a definite maybe, but we're driving in from Smithfield so later at night stuff is going to be curtailed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Recommendation for Ottawa redtaurants? I live off of Bank Street so I'm looking for places I can walk or bus to. I'm fairly open to new food, I just don't want to break the bank.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sextro posted:

The answer seems to be... The answer. Gwar bar a definite maybe, but we're driving in from Smithfield so later at night stuff is going to be curtailed.

The Answer is really good. I just went there on my last visit for the first time and I will definitely be back. The sauces with the Bahn Mi I got were outstanding. I definitely want to try some of the other items on the menu.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

rockcity posted:

The Answer is really good. I just went there on my last visit for the first time and I will definitely be back. The sauces with the Bahn Mi I got were outstanding. I definitely want to try some of the other items on the menu.

Confirming, it was great. Had a bunch of the appetizers and the bao sliders. All good stuff. RVA seems pretty cool compared to what I remember from a few years back.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sextro posted:

Confirming, it was great. Had a bunch of the appetizers and the bao sliders. All good stuff. RVA seems pretty cool compared to what I remember from a few years back.

Yeah, from the people I know there, it sounds like it's really gotten a lot more enjoyable in recent years. Someone is taking me to a really good Jewish deli later this week when I go up there. I did find a really good Greek deli last time downtown. I forget the name, but I asked for double meat on the sandwich and the guy warned me how much meat that would be. I did not heed his warning and it was borderline absurd. I ended up making two meals out of it. Two tasty meals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcwalbucks
May 3, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hit me with Edinburgh. Especially over Christmas.

I really enjoyed The Devil's Advocate and Holyrood 9a when I was there last year. I think Holyrood has a Hogmanay celebration too.