Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lmao eat poo poo UK footies

http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/25/13748588/football-manager-2017-brexitpwww

FM2017 randomly assigns one of three possible Brexit scenarios, two of which have only minimal impact on the game. But the third, "hard Brexit" outcome, under which Britain's immigration laws become extremely strict, forces players to take drastic action.

Under a hard Brexit, the only players allowed into the country would likely be those who have a proven record of excellence, as defined by playing for their country on a regular basis. This would count out a lot of foreign players currently in the Premiership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

Sean Murray was a regular Peter Molyneux, however, and the game, despite my enjoyment of it for a good 80ish hours, did eventually run a bit dry.
If a game gets 80 hours out of me it better be one of the best games of the decade. I think I can list on one hand the number of games I've played that long since becoming an adult.

Freak futani - that really sucks, my condolences. It will get better. :(

Leal posted:

I mean, they're already releasing games far below AAA game prices. Speaking of

Only 10% off ugh jeeze what do these guys think I'm made of money or something? Tell me when its like 50% off

E: or 85%

I don't have a problem with them pricing it like that. They should price their game in such a way that they can maximize their revenue, and if this is how they think they will achieve that, more power to them! I think too many indie devs undervalue their games.

I just doubt they'll really stick to that no-sales thing. (mainly because it's a dumb business decision. sales increase exposure and units sold. even extremely brand consious companies like Apple run sales)

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 27, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jordan7hm posted:

If a game gets 80 hours out of me it better be one of the best games of the decade. I think I can list on one hand the number of games I've played that long since becoming an adult.
My condolences. It must be hard on your back(log), old man. :(

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Captain Invictus posted:

Yep, oftentimes comedy falls flat when you're really, really down. While not something on Steam(of course), in regards to that, when I went through some...bad poo poo, I had just installed the Minecraft: Life In The Woods modpack. It adds thousands of new items, recipes, foods, buffs, animals and monsters, and over a hundred new biomes to the game, as well as more robust villages and villagers with quests and poo poo. It is absolutely less about building absurd machines to automate everything, and more about exploring, farming, and building. If you have a good PC, it also has an optional shader pack that adds dynamic lighting, shadows, water, etc and makes the game look just really great. I put hundreds of hours into it, it really helped me out during a particularly rough time.

The modmaker created a launcher and such that basically does all the modding work for you, which is REALLY HELPFUL. http://www.lifeinthewoods.ca/

There's also Renaissance, a newer version of LITW that changes a ton of stuff, I think I prefer the original but it's up to you.
trailers for the original and Renaissance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb8kOt2T1HM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBXgt_k6v4c

And some screenshots I took

This actually real fuckin neato, if I had Minecraft I'd definitely check this out for sure.
Shame it's perpetually expensive as hell, I don't think it ever goes on sale.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

Minecraft Life in the Woods stuff

This looks really cool. My son loves the exploration aspect of Minecraft, so I think he'd really enjoy this. Thanks for posting it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Rise of the Tomb Raider is super good, and you should definitely pick it up for $15 from Gamestop. I think I just got to the part where the Baba DLC opened up, and I am pretty sure it's my current mission. Is there any issue difficulty wise with doing it this early? It said one of the rewards is a bow, so I am all for that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ragequit posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider is super good, and you should definitely pick it up for $15 from Gamestop. I think I just got to the part where the Baba DLC opened up, and I am pretty sure it's my current mission. Is there any issue difficulty wise with doing it this early? It said one of the rewards is a bow, so I am all for that.

There's nothing inherently more difficult about the DLC and you can do it as soon as you get the rope arrows upgrade.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Quest For Glory II posted:

FM2017 randomly assigns one of three possible Brexit scenarios, two of which have only minimal impact on the game. But the third, "hard Brexit" outcome, under which Britain's immigration laws become extremely strict, forces players to take drastic action.

Under a hard Brexit, the only players allowed into the country would likely be those who have a proven record of excellence, as defined by playing for their country on a regular basis. This would count out a lot of foreign players currently in the Premiership.
They should add in an event where a foreign country takes your best players to prop up its own team or demands payment for some new law they made up about player inequality. Globalism.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

exquisite tea posted:

There's nothing inherently more difficult about the DLC and you can do it as soon as you get the rope arrows upgrade.

Also the bow you get from it is SO worth it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have a bunch of wallet credit from secret santa gift cards and refunding space hulk deathwing because the beta was broken dogshit.

Do I just buy planet coaster or is the steam controller an actual good controller that I can stop having to gently caress around with my DS4 for.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Deakul posted:

This actually real fuckin neato, if I had Minecraft I'd definitely check this out for sure.
Shame it's perpetually expensive as hell, I don't think it ever goes on sale.
It's what, 20 or 30 bucks? That gets you access to the Java version, which has like 7 years worth of modpacks for it, and launchers that will auto-install said packs for you. Of all games, I feel Minecraft is second only to possibly Skyrim for the amount of fan-made content available to alter your gameplay experience.

If you have Windows 10 I think you get access to the Windows 10 version, which is VASTLY better optimized(like, the chunks that form the world load nearly instantly and have far, far further view) but iirc doesn't allow for modding.

Jordan7hm posted:

This looks really cool. My son loves the exploration aspect of Minecraft, so I think he'd really enjoy this. Thanks for posting it.
The two packs are wildly different, the original one has a lot of mods that add more wildlife and monsters that I preferred, while Renaissance is more focused on worldgen and removed some of the monster packs and imo is a bit weaker. Sadly the shader pack that R uses I don't believe is compatible with the original, which sucks because it's so much better than the original shaderpack. Like, you wanna talk immersive, the pitch black nighttime shot as I boated my way to that volcanic island in one of the images was goddamn serene with how it works the moonlight, water, and glow of the lava. Then when I got there I discovered it was volcanic island with volcanoes surrounding the center of the island, which was jungle. It ruled. I BELIEVE the modpack also works in multiplayer, too? Maybe??? You'd probably want to help your son tweak the shader stuff because it can dramatically affect the gameplay(pitch black nighttime vs moonlit ground so you can see where you're stumbling around towards).

But yeah, it's really incredibly and revitalized MC for me after years of being out of it. Some of the biomes are nuts, like the Giant Flower biome, or the volcano biome, which is just a massive lifeless rock jutting out of the ground with lava and ash everywhere.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

They should add in an event where a foreign country takes your best players to prop up its own team or demands payment for some new law they made up about player inequality. Globalism.
as someone who only follows futbol around Euro/WC time, i only know that the USMNT sucks and takes foreign country's over the hill players. their shittiness is its own type of ownage

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Ragequit posted:

You can't get all the collectibles at the moment you unlock it, so don't bust your balls over that. Go back there at the start of act three if you care about completion.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Freak Futanari posted:

Yeah, when tuesday rolls around i'm going to lock myself in my room with Final Fantasy XV and just stay there for a while.

And thanks for all the support, everyone. I didn't mean to randomly meltdown in the thread or anything, but i'm not all that stable right now so i guess i flipped out in inappropriate places.

Hey man, this thread wouldn't have it's hilarious rear end laughter without you. Sorry to hear what happen to you man.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Or is it Sputnik posted:

You can't get all the collectibles at the moment you unlock it, so don't bust your balls over that. Go back there at the start of act three if you care about completion.

Figured that would be the case anyway. I am not worrying about it too much yet, as I know I have plenty to unlock (broadhead arrows for climbing and some fire to burn brush in caves which I have noticed so far). I also missed a red Intel laptop somewhere in the previous mission as well.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Morter posted:

Also the bow you get from it is SO worth it

Speaking of Rise of the Tomb Raider, is the season pass worth it for $7.50? I'm not really into survival waves, but it sounds like Baba Yaga is actually story DLC.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I just received a coupon for a game that I want for 67% off, and it's on sale for 40% off. Steam says that a coupon can't be applied to a game already discounted, which is fine, but I'd like to buy the game for the coupon price. Is there any way to disable the sale price so I can apply the coupon? I have searched up and down the Steam forums and I can not find an answer to this question, except from a thread that's years old.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jackbox Party Pack 3 is the best one yet, Trivia Murder Party and Tee KO are awesome.

Playing around with Forza Apex more too I appreciate that there is zero penalty for ramming every car out of your way to get to first place besides a slightly worse score. The reflections still look awful though. They're really stuttery though everything else runs perfectly.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Captain Invictus posted:

Yep, oftentimes comedy falls flat when you're really, really down. While not something on Steam(of course), in regards to that, when I went through some...bad poo poo, I had just installed the Minecraft: Life In The Woods modpack. It adds thousands of new items, recipes, foods, buffs, animals and monsters, and over a hundred new biomes to the game, as well as more robust villages and villagers with quests and poo poo. It is absolutely less about building absurd machines to automate everything, and more about exploring, farming, and building. If you have a good PC, it also has an optional shader pack that adds dynamic lighting, shadows, water, etc and makes the game look just really great. I put hundreds of hours into it, it really helped me out during a particularly rough time.

The modmaker created a launcher and such that basically does all the modding work for you, which is REALLY HELPFUL. http://www.lifeinthewoods.ca/

There's also Renaissance, a newer version of LITW that changes a ton of stuff, I think I prefer the original but it's up to you.
trailers for the original and Renaissance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb8kOt2T1HM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBXgt_k6v4c

And some screenshots I took

Holy poo poo, I downloaded this and the "Vibrant Shaders High" pack and this looks GORGEOUS in motion.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
(Mostly) Obscure Indie November Extravaganza!

1. A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build
2. Ephemerid: A Musical Adventure
3. Blockwick 2
4. Road Not Taken
5. The House in Fata Morgana
6. Anarcute
7. LiEat
8. Murasaki
9. Sethian
10. Pickers
11. This Starry Midnight We Make
12. Forget Me Not: My Organic Garden
13. Four Sided Fantasy
14. KAMI
15. Zenge
16. Karma. Incarnation 1
17. Stephen's Sausage Roll
18. Rose of Winter
19. Dog Sled Saga
20. Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt / Princess Remedy In A Heap of Trouble
21. Snakebird
22. Sword Daughter
23. Pushcat
24. Waveform
25. TIMEframe

26. LOOP: A Tranquil Puzzle Game

I kickstarted this a couple years ago. The goal was 2,000 or something crazy low like that, and I thought, why not?

Loop is a simple little swapping puzzle game. You have a hex grid filled with lines, and you have to swap the hexes to make all the lines match up into loop. Sometimes it's just one big loop with lots of crossovers and tangles, sometimes it's little ones. Every so often the game adds little twists like hexes that can't be moved, only rotated or being able to change the colour.

The game is what it says on the tin, very relaxing. No timers or stars, just solve the puzzle with soothing music, and then go onto the next one. The difficultly is right at that sweet spot for podcast listening or Netflix watching where the puzzles aren't too easy, but not hard enough that you have to think about them too much, and you feel like you've accomplished something at the end of the day once you've figured one out.

There's no undo button, but I don't think you really need one for this game.

Once you are done all 100 levels, there's a level generator for endless tranquil puzzles.

This game is chill and relaxing and on sale for $2.74!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MussoliniB posted:

I just received a coupon for a game that I want for 67% off, and it's on sale for 40% off. Steam says that a coupon can't be applied to a game already discounted, which is fine, but I'd like to buy the game for the coupon price. Is there any way to disable the sale price so I can apply the coupon? I have searched up and down the Steam forums and I can not find an answer to this question, except from a thread that's years old.

Wait til the sale ends tomorrow.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Quest For Glory II posted:

quote:

Writing in The Guardian earlier this month, Football Manager creator Miles Jacobson made the excellent point that he seemed to have done more work to prepare for the possibility of Brexit — which was voted by referendum in the summer — than the British Government.

:iceburn:

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Does anyone know if the Gamestop keys for Rise of the Tomb Raider work in Canada?

If so, I'm just going to throw it out there but would anyone be willing to gift me a copy of the Rise of the Tomb Raider from Gamestop for a trade of a few games I have codes and copies of on Steam?

I've got Hack and Slash, and Spacebase DF-9 as Steam Gifts. I also have Titan Souls, Westerado: Double Barreled, Technobabylon, Sudeki, One Finger Death Punch, Monday Night Combat, Crimsonland, The Masterplan and bit Dungeon 2 as codes from Humble Bundle and Bundle Stars.

I'm willing to trade them all for the game. If not I'll probably just start gifting these out randomly anyway but I was just gonna see if I could score Tomb Raider first.

As for actual content, I finally picked up Hitman, and I have to say, the games worst level is still leagues ahead of Absolutions best. It is just such a great time of a game. It brings me back to the days of playing Blood Money and setting up little challenges and trying to make every run completely different, which is truthfully pretty possible. Stellar experience, worth every penny.

EDIT: Should probably link the Steam Profile here if you are willing to do the deal https://steamcommunity.com/id/zwethegreat/

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 27, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Has anyone tried StarCrawlers? RPS seems to like it, making it sound like a procedurally-generated, turn-based, sci-fi dungeon crawler in the Legend of Grimrock mold.

Grimrock being real-time was my biggest beef with it, so I'm all for turns, and the RPS link above mentions that the different classes have very distinct skills and uses. Seems like it might be interesting...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Has anyone tried StarCrawlers? RPS seems to like it, making it sound like a procedurally-generated, turn-based, sci-fi dungeon crawler in the Legend of Grimrock mold.

Grimrock being real-time was my biggest beef with it, so I'm all for turns, and the RPS link above mentions that the different classes have very distinct skills and uses. Seems like it might be interesting...
Looks cool. I'll put it on my wishlist for when it comes out of early access. the more DRPGs the better, especially when they're like Wizardry/Etrian

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Burning Rain posted:

it's not like Anno at all. if anything, it resembles Capitalism games a tiny bit, if you know those. all about racking up sweet profits by manipulating the market and then snatching the best resources from under the feet of your opponent.

Ah, okay. That sounds, interesting though I've never played a Capitialsm game.

Jamfrost posted:

I'm becoming hopeful with No Man's Sky. Give it another year and it might become a fleshed out game.

Yea, once i couldn't get a return, I became hopeful that maybe they will deliver on some of the promised features.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I've been holding out on XCOM2 because I felt a little burned when the expansion came out for the first and kind of just improved everything all-around (maybe that's irrational but I usually only play through a game once). I'll probably want to buy X2 on the Christmas sale, though, so if anyone knows, does it look like they're gonna do the same thing with the sequel? Is there an expansion slated for release? I imagine people wouldn't know anyways, cause I don't remember the first expansion being announced until pretty shortly before its release.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Jamfrost posted:

I'm becoming hopeful with No Man's Sky. Give it another year and it might become a fleshed out game.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
My kids love crazy, violent physics games like Gang Beasts, Guts and Glory, Goat Simulator. Are there any other games on steam like that I missing?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Chairman Pow! posted:

My kids love crazy, violent physics games like Gang Beasts, Guts and Glory, Goat Simulator. Are there any other games on steam like that I missing?

Besiege might be a little too complex for them but definitely check it out.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
This may have been posted about already since as far as I know the sales prices don't change during steam sales anymore but anyway. Borderlands Pre Sequel is 11.99 on its own. It's also in a pack with Borderlands 1 and 2, the DLC for 1 (but not 2 for some reason) and Pre Sequel. If you own everything else in that pack like I did then you get Pre Sequel for 4.20. I hear the game isn't as good as 1 and 2 but I feel like its probably worth 4.20.

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/257/

Not charging for games you already own is the best. Now to find other bundles that work in my favor like this.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Alright so I'm kind of in the mood for an FPS even though I'm really not all that great at them (I'd rate my skill as 'average'). I'm looking at BF1, Titanfall 2, and Overwatch. I have a pretty decent computer with a GTX 980. Does anyone have any good tiebreakers for me? I kind of like single player as well so I'm slightly leaning against Overwatch, but then again everyone says it's amazing so I'm not sure. Also, if there are better deals on the PC versions that the $40 on Origin or $35 for Overwatch that would be great too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Alright so I'm kind of in the mood for an FPS even though I'm really not all that great at them (I'd rate my skill as 'average'). I'm looking at BF1, Titanfall 2, and Overwatch. I have a pretty decent computer with a GTX 980. Does anyone have any good tiebreakers for me? I kind of like single player as well so I'm slightly leaning against Overwatch, but then again everyone says it's amazing so I'm not sure. Also, if there are better deals on the PC versions that the $40 on Origin or $35 for Overwatch that would be great too.

Have you played Doom?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

I've been holding out on XCOM2 because I felt a little burned when the expansion came out for the first and kind of just improved everything all-around (maybe that's irrational but I usually only play through a game once). I'll probably want to buy X2 on the Christmas sale, though, so if anyone knows, does it look like they're gonna do the same thing with the sequel? Is there an expansion slated for release? I imagine people wouldn't know anyways, cause I don't remember the first expansion being announced until pretty shortly before its release.

I bought the season pass when the game came out, and all the DLC that was included with it has already been released. The last news I read was that no more DLC is planned, though I suppose it's possible they might change their minds.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Green Man Gaming has their Mystery Bundle discounted to $.49 and you get a second free game because of their Black Friday sale. I ended up with Centauri Sector and Corporate Lifestyle Simulator. They're nothing to write home about but I feel like I got my money's worth.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Any Space 4X recommendations that aren't Endless Space because I already have Endless Space?

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I love overwatch because I have old man reflexes and there are team roles that don't require you to be good at twitch FPS shooting. Its much more like team fortress 2 than your traditional FPS.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Deuce posted:

Any Space 4X recommendations that aren't Endless Space because I already have Endless Space?

Master of Orion 2016. It's quite good, and worthy of the name.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Deuce posted:

Distant Worlds if you like the empire management side more. Stellaris or Star Ruler 2 if you want somewhat more of a diplomacy or warfare focus, in that order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Short 10 minute trip report on No Man's Sky:

When you fire the game up it will instantly ask you if you want your old save now titled "Classic Mode" or the other two new saves under Survival Mode and Creative Mode. I chose creative to get a quick look at what's available.

Right off the bat I can say that the default motion blur was so very much loving needed for the original release. It's subtle in a Valve game way and very adjustable, so if you whine about motion blur, don't worry, they're doing it right.
The building tools are very Rust-like. You plop a thing down based on how its connected to other things or just build somewhere near your base. The biggest downside to the whole experience is that they don't have key bindings set up for it so you have to deal with their default bindings. If you're an ESDF player like me, this extremely fucks your poo poo up, but hopefully someone on the modding site will have a quick fix.
Speaking of mods, they definitely break with the new version, so make sure you go clean up all those _files if you have them sitting around. Even the "speed up clicks" mod broke, so I'm looking forward to the new version of that asap.
Er, back to the building... you can build rooms, lights, farming stuff, decals, new tech, decorations, containers, infrastructure... it's pretty much everything in the video and a little bit more.
They also rebalanced some stuff and changed what resources are used to do certain things, down to what you find in asteroids and refuels your ship.
Oh and the quick menu is super nice, but again, needs key rebind changes.
Most importantly! The melee booster bug is still in.

So far I'd actually say a new thread is warranted. Considering folks are going to want to show off the buildings and freighters (I haven't touched those yet) they made, on top of talking about all the other random changes made to the game.

Edit: Enjoy the loving journey achievements on your new saves. Fuuuuuuck...

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 27, 2016

• Locked thread