Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Capfalcon posted:

White Cat the Delinquent:

Who's a flat out better hacker than you? Be honest, now.

There's no one out there better than me. At least not these days anyway. Oh don't get me wrong there's some young up and comers who might be able to knock me off my perch given a lot of hard work and a little luck and a few years experience . The only one that's ever come close to matching me is Wraith. And She(He? They?) is a legend. A myth that novice hackers tell each other when they've drank too much mountain dew or when it turns out their SQL injections aren't quite as clever as they thought they were. Supposedly they could waltz through any firewall around like it wasn't there. You wouldn't even know you'd been robbed until the KGB or Homeland Security or whatever was arresting you or your corporate rival was producing something identical . I mean no false modesty here but I am the best around and there's no way you can hack something without leaving any trace. Besides even the legends just say the hacking... stopped one day. I dunno maybe She was run over by a bus or something. Everyone knows a guy who knew a guy who hired her once. But I've never seen any trace of them. Just another urban legend I suppose.

quote:

Who in the city is against your involvement with the league due to your past crimes?

Hey they weren't crimes. They were practical jokes! No one ever actually got hurt by any of my hacks. Just because some old farts don't like having someone reveal their worst secrets all over the internet or looking like idiots. But yeah there's been people who've been kicking off. The worst is probably uhh what's his real name again? Sam Stokes yeah that rear end in a top hat is running for Mayor, You probably know him better as Starfall but he's hung up his cape and gone into politics. And he's running on one of those tough on crime platforms using his supposed experience of dealing with metahuman threats as propaganda. Apparently the league "focuses too much on rehabilitation and not enough on punishing the villains. Even now there's plans to recruit another such criminal who's been incriminated in several high profile data hacks." Which is me apparently because then the media are all over my poo poo. It's almost like he has a grudge against me over something. I certainly have a grudge against him. Some stuck up old hero who hasn't left the silver era thinks he knows all about computer crime.

quote:

What's the next headline grabbing stunt you have planned?

What makes you think I'm planning anything? I'm on probation remember? One wrong move and it's off to extra dimensional Guantanamo with the other non-persons. What do you mean I'm always planning something? I've never been so accurately insulted in my life!
Ok fine I am not planning something. It's just i think a certain wannabe politician has some skeletons in their closet. It would a shame if someone were to discover those skeletons and "accidentally" splice footage of them into their election broadcasts. That individual would probably derail a promising political career of a massive rear end in a top hat and be something of a hero. Of course this is only wild speculation of course I'd never dream of getting caught doing something like that myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Nobody, the Nova

So... Why do you think Voidcaller's trying to let things in? What have you seen that makes you think she's still the person you knew?
What's the last big thing you've seen Jenny doing? How do you feel about it?
What's your favorite thing to do with your powers?

Picks closing Sunday at 2 PM EST, so I can get a new post out before I go out for the evening.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

WIP

quote:

So... Why do you think Voidcaller's trying to let things in? What have you seen that makes you think she's still the person you knew?

The real world is a place of life, and colour. The things on the other side of the Limbo, they feed on the bleed through from the real world. Imagine scavenging for every little scrap of food your entire life, fighting and killing for little more then crumbs, then finding out on the other side of this wall is all the food you could ever ask for. What would you do? Break through and start feasting obviously. Problem is, these creatures are... cruel, they're monstrous in every sense of the word. Some are intelligent enough to use the limbo to perform magic. The deeper you go, the stronger they get. And I think that she ran into one of those things. And to them she's a gap in the fence, hell, I'd be a gap in the fence if they got to me like that...

I've only glimpsed the thing I think is in control once. It's... something else.

I don't know what it's called specifically, but I've come across them before. They're monsters. There's no two ways about it. There's evil and cruelty in it's eyes.

I have to believe she's still in there. I can't face the idea that she's gone for ever. She's my responsibility. I'm the only one who can face it. That's how it feels, anyway. I see flashes sometimes, moments where I see the fear behind her eyes, her mouth moves without speaking, 'help me' 'save me', maybe it's just whatever is in there loving with me. But in my darkest moments, when I'm exhausted, outmatched, down and out, I think about her, and I get back on my feet.

quote:

What's the last big thing you've seen Jenny doing? How do you feel about it?

Jenny? Well, she's been up to all sorts. Okay, she tries to stay away from the super hero stuff. But she has the occasional moment. The city is a big place, and shockingly, I'm not the most popular person with some of it's inhabitence. The one's who wear tights and laugh about plots whenever there's a storm outside. You know the sort.

Well one of them really had it in for me at one point. He called himself The Scientist. He 'discovered' a few of the dimensions, and was offended by the idea that others had found them first. So he started trying to wipe people out so that he can be the first. Yes, it makes no sense what so ever, but he was really trying. He'd worked out a device to cut people off from the Limbo. He enacted his plans, I tried to stop him. Got him on his knees, beaten. Great! Then he pulls out this little chest plate and plans me with it. Boom! Lightning everywhere. I go down like a sack of potatoes.

Ouch.

Next think I know I'm waking up in some kind of centrifuge, locked into some device. Scientist is trying to use me to unlock even more dimensions. I can hear the chuckling of something on the other side. Sounds a hell of a lot like the same laugh I hear coming out of Voidcaller. I'm trying to use anything, but my hands are bound, and that drat plate is keeping me stuck here. His machine starts to warm up and I'm hosed. He's going to open me open like a door. By kicking me in like a police raid.

Then I hear a different laugh, it's like a quiet giggle. I know that laugh. It's bone chilling. The Scientist here's that too. He's expecting a super, he's not expecting Whisper. Whisper is one of Jenny's spirits. She likes to take the form of a little girl. She scares the crap out of me. And somehow she was lose in the room. First sight I get of her is the glint of her eyes in the shadows of the corner. First sight The Scientist gets of her is when she grabs him and throws him fully thirty feet across the room! Jenny creeps over and starts trying to get me out of this machine. I can hear that thing howling in fury.

"Jenny! What the fu-" I start to say. But she gives me a look. "shut up." She says, and I do. The Scientist spots her, and starts coming her way, but Whisper gets there first. She grabs me and overcharges me with voidic energies. The chest plate melts. Like I have a piece of molten metal on my chest. I've still got the scars. Well it hurts like poo poo and suddenly I reconnect to the limbo. I'm back in the game, I pore as much power as I can to heal the burns. But it doesn't help much. I can't even breath. Whisper is still giggling. She did that on purpose.

Jenny grabs me and pulls me to my feet. "We've got to get out of here" I didn't get why at first. Whisper had overloaded the machine. But it couldn't open the void. But it could certainly take itself through to the Limbo. And it was going to. We grabbed the scientist as well, and he put up a struggle, this was his life's work that was about to implode. We all got out, but the whole building vanished. The Scientist swore vengeance. And Jenny forced me to take it easy until my burns healed.

Frankly, I'm mad. She took a huge risk... and yes, she pulled my butt out of the fire. She's got a connection to those spirits in a way I can't even comprehend. If she put her mind to it, she could probably take over the world. I really hope she never realises it. I'm worried about her, and I'm worried she put a target on her back. The Scientist is a pretty mad guy. Hopefully he keeps focusing on me, and leaves her the hell alone.

quote:

What's your favourite thing to do with your powers?

The super hero stuff is pretty cool, but sometimes it's the small things. Like I can make music at any time. I can get from point A to B like I'm teleporting. Which is amazing, you don't even know! I can get really into video games, okay, technically it's hacking...ish. But it's fun to jump in and just have fun. I can make food cook itself, and I'm not a great cook, but it's really convenient. Oh, and it feels amazing to matrix jump from roof to roof and do back flips and kung fuu and stuff effortlessly. That never gets old.

I know, it's silly. And I take it for granted. Eclipse makes me do stuff myself sometimes. Chews me out for being lazy. And she's right, hell Jenny says so as well, and she's a lot better at catching me when I'm cheating. But it's like not... breathing. My powers have been so ingrained in me, that it's hard to switch them off sometimes. Secretly though, it's nice to just do normal things. Like clean and cook with my hands. It's relaxing.

Super boring, right? Me, with all the reality warping powers in the world, 'what's your fav thing to do' oh, clean my room. Oh god I'm such a dork.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 27, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

As always, it was difficult to make picks, but Moonlight Vigil, welcome your new members, Chimera, the Transformed and Mithril, The Protege.

You'l be joining them at the training camp soon.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Well, congratulations to the two of you who made it, I guess.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
Heh, I can't say I'm not disappointed, but I'm not ashamed to lose out to those two either.

Have fun!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Chimera's relationships and Influence:

quote:

___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.

When things get a bit too much, trying to deal with myself and some of the more outspoken people who hate me, Mithril is always there for me.

quote:

___________________ knew you before you changed.

Flaire

quote:

Ignore your Influence section. Pick at least two PCs whose words matter to you. Give them Influence over you.

I've worked with Mithril, and she's helped me out before.

Barracuda is clearly freaked out about me, which would be annoying, but she does seem to be trying so I appreciate it.

_______

quote:

After you’ve introduced your character, go around the table and ask each PC if they care what you think. If they do, they give you Influence over them. If they don’t, ask them to tell you one time they shot you down.

Silver Bolt: Cares what I think

Tatsuya: Cares what I think

Flaire: Cares what I think

Barracuda: Cares what I think

Mithril: Cares what I think

Team Leader:

1) Mithril

2) Silver Bolt

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 28, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Mithril's Relationships

quote:

You and Chimera teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.

Chimera's had a tough time. I mean, yeah, she looks pretty intimidating. But inside? She's got a good head and a good heart. I thought she was a villain at first and almost jumped in to take her down, but once I settled down and observed? I could see that I was mistaken. We've worked together on a few incidents since our paths first crossed. I know that she's got my back and I've got hers.

quote:

Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on Tatsu.

I've mentioned how Damascus is all about rehabilitation, right? He's been pleased with what he's heard of Tatsu's exploits as a part of the team, but he worries if this witch, whoever she is, can still influence him. I wouldn't say that I'm here as a sword over his head, but I'm certainly supposed to be keeping an eye on his mental state. And, if necessary, contact Damascus and the League. He can do a lot of damage. If she gets her hooks back in him, a lot of people might get hurt.

Mithril's Influence

quote:

Ignore your Influence section. Pick at least two PCs whose words matter to you. Give them Influence over you.

Everyone gets influence over Mithril. She's thrilled to be a part of the team and connecting with someone mentally is, as you might imagine, pretty intimate.

quote:

After you’ve introduced your character, go around the table and ask each PC if they care what you think. If they do, they give you Influence over them. If they don’t, ask them to tell you one time they shot you down.

Silver Bolt: He does. It's nice to see someone else on this team who wants to actually, you know, work together. I haven't seen much of his work, but I know that Damascus has crossed paths with Night Hunter a few times in the past. He spoke well of her.

Tatsuya: He does not. He's not really a team player. When I tried to give him a few tips so that we could coordinate better, he just went off on me about being Damascus's handpicked successor and stormed off. I'm... that's not true. I didn't have a choice.

Flaire: She does. Some people think that she's all talk and no action, but I haven't really seen that so far. Sure, maybe she's got a bit of a flair for the dramatic. People know who she is. I think we can learn from each other. I need to bring myself out of Damascus's shadow and I think she knows how to do that better than anyone.

Barracuda: She does. It's a little weird working with someone who doesn't want us to know who she is, but she's pretty cool regardless. She seems a little bit familiar. Do I know her from somewhere? Hm. No matter. I just wish she'd stop referring to me as Damascus's sidekick. I mean, yeah, it's accurate, but it's not who I want to be. You know?

Chimera: She does. We've worked together in the past. Nothing official, really, but it's good to see a familiar face. She's a bit intimidating looking, but her heart is in the right place. And, you know, I can sympathize with having your powers rule your life. I really can. I'm there if she needs anything. Or if anyone gets in her face.

Team Leader
  1. Silver Bolt: He's been the guy in charge, right? No need to shake up the team dynamics more than they have been already.
  2. Flaire: She seems to have an eye for the PR aspects of the job. Might not be up for tactics, but we can support her. Right?

Tricky fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 28, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Congrats to the picks!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Oh, before I forget. New blood means new vote on team leader. Ranked voting for first and second, please.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

ShootaBoy posted:

Silver Bolt
Literally anyone but Flaire

:v:

I'm also picking Chimera as my new love.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Silver Bolt cares what everybody thinks so you can all take your influence. *grumble*

---

Leader? Well, duh, ME!!!

Um, let's see. Mithril is probably the best SECOND we could have since she's used to following orders and improvising (and 'Cuda is being a little bit unreliable lately with the whole quitting or not-quitting thing.) Leader wise Flaire would put the most effort into being a good leader (if only to make herself look good.) I don't think anyone else would actually WANT the job.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Leader
Silver Bolt
Mithril

---
Cuda cares about what both of them think.

mistaya posted:

Silver Bolt cares what everybody thinks so you can all take your influence. *grumble*

---

Leader? Well, duh, ME!!!

Um, let's see. Mithril is probably the best SECOND we could have since she's used to following orders and improvising (and 'Cuda is being a little bit unreliable lately with the whole quitting or not-quitting thing.) Leader wise Flaire would put the most effort into being a good leader (if only to make herself look good.) I don't think anyone else would actually WANT the job.

Excuse me, there is no "quitting or not-quitting thing". I quit. It's not my fault you keep following me around. If you want me back you get Tatsu to apologize, or at least agree not to be a complete poo poo to his teammates.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

quote:

Also, if I brushed over something that you want to be resolved or come up after camp, let me know in the OOC thread.

Just putting a note that Cuda's family's dinner with highly suspicious sponsors for the mayor and her raid on the base should be happening fairly soon.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Also Here is the influence sheet.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Team Leader
1. Silver Bolt
2. Tatsu, again for strategic voting purposes

Flaire cares about what both of them think, she wants everyone's attention and she needs her new teammates to get along with her better than she does Tatsu.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Oh yes, the Legacy's "Time Passes" move is kind of a pain for PBP:

Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your
most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your
performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:

- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?

On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On
a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On
a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to
meddle with your life.

So need a quick input from everyone on that. Though I expect things are getting rocky this time based on how badly the mission at the stadium went!

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Yes, no, no. Sorry Silver Bolt :(

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Rauri posted:

Yes, no, no. Sorry Silver Bolt :(

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yes, yes, no.

Your family are hunters, they go after small groups or individuals. A stadium sized near-riot is neither of those.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Mom's gonna be so not proud of me! :v:

Oh, for CapFalcon from IRC: What did Silver get out of the communicator/chat with Lag? I should be able to post as soon as I get that info, it's kinda important to what he's been up to since.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

League Communicators are basically super fancy smartphones, but the damage was pretty bad. After about 15 minutes, Lag eventually throws up her hands in frustration at trying to get it to work again, and just waves her hand over it. Then, an SD card pops out of her glove and she passes it to you, saying, "I scrapped everything I could off it. I'd take a look, but I'm sure you don't want me looking through all the top secret League stuff."

Which, regardless of how you feel, is the end of the conversation for her, as she's bored and done her good deed (yuck) for the day.

When you get the chance to look at it later, you see that she had been investigating comatose victims in the Halcyon hospital's psych ward. There'd been a sudden spike in the last month that set off all kinds of alerts she had programmed. The data's too corrupt to get the full list, but the last one went by the name of Limer, Chris. By now, he'd have been in a coma for 11 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Capfalcon, where are yoooooou, come back :(

• Locked thread