Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Greatest Living Man posted:

NZBCat also has semi-open registrations right now.

https://nzb.cat/invites

Thanks for that. Always good to have an extra indexer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
NZBCat gives 500 API calls per day on free accounts? DOGnzb only gives 50 :pwn:

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Thank you!

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

NZBCat gives 500 API calls per day on free accounts? DOGnzb only gives 50 :pwn:

yea, but $5 for lifetime VIP is pretty amazing. This is assuming they stay up for more than 6 months.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ILikeVoltron posted:

yea, but $5 for lifetime VIP is pretty amazing. This is assuming they stay up for more than 6 months.

I've been a VIP with them for a month short of a year. So far, so good.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I noticed on my profile page in NZBCat it said there's a 60 day time limit. I thought maybe that was retention but I was able to search for stuff older than that. Do they purge free accounts after 60 days?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My free account from ages ago says I need to donate the $5 for VIP to continue, so I'm guessing that's the time limit yes.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have an nzbs.org account and like 8 free accounts, but I'm wondering if I should spend the $5 here seeing how it seems like these sites go down often. That's the thing though, I'm not sure how secure it is spending on any of these sites. I saw SimplyNZB is having a sale too.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
NZB Cat is a solid alternative for when NZBs.org goes down overnight. I have .org, Cat for when it's down and 6box.me for a free API-friendly account but Cat is my first go-to when .org is down.

Well worth the $5 imo and it's a much better UI than the only other real alternative, NZB Geek

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone notice any good deals on a new newserver for someone starting fresh? Maybe get locked in at a good rate?

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Has anyone used usenet.farm? They are offering 50% off right now on their monthly plans and 30% off their block plans until November 29th.

Wondering if it's time to jump from astraweb where I'm paying $11/month special for unlimited dsl.

https://usenet.farm/

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The Usenet Farm is decent for blocks but its monthly special is only good for either the first month of a sub or a block of months (i.e. pay for a year). I'd recommend getting on the Thunder News or NewsGroupDirect deals as a main then supplement it with a Usenet.farm block as a backup or Astraweb block as a backup.

Or go on the Astraweb special, $3 a month cheaper than you are paying now, at http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/8paypal.html

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Godinster posted:

The Usenet Farm is decent for blocks but its monthly special is only good for either the first month of a sub or a block of months (i.e. pay for a year). I'd recommend getting on the Thunder News or NewsGroupDirect deals as a main then supplement it with a Usenet.farm block as a backup or Astraweb block as a backup.

Or go on the Astraweb special, $3 a month cheaper than you are paying now, at http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/8paypal.html

Wow thank you but how do I switch from one plan to another on Astraweb?

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Rhaegar posted:

Wow thank you but how do I switch from one plan to another on Astraweb?

Nevermind, I just signed up again and entered my username and password. Seems to have switched me over.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
No problem. I'd still recommend getting a block on Usenet Farm for completionist's sake unless you aren't getting any completion errors.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
No Blocknews deals for the weekend? I normally use Frugal/Blocknews/Farm and my primary/secondary/tertiary, and I'm due for a refill. Gonna jump on that usenet.farm block discount though, even though I still have ~400GB left on my last purchase.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

PitViper posted:

No Blocknews deals for the weekend? I normally use Frugal/Blocknews/Farm and my primary/secondary/tertiary, and I'm due for a refill. Gonna jump on that usenet.farm block discount though, even though I still have ~400GB left on my last purchase.

Not sure if their deal is still going but Thunder News is on the same backbone as Blocknews (both are Highwinds resellers), so it'll have pretty much the same coverage.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Thecubenet is running a sale, picked up 200gb block for 10 dollars. I was hoping blocknews would as well but no luck yet.

edit: blocknews is running a sale but not advertising it on their main page

http://blocknews.net/holidays/

Horn fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 27, 2016

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

And doing $5 lifetime VIP for Black Friday.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Silly Burrito posted:

And doing $5 lifetime VIP for Black Friday.

Thanks for the reminder. I actually joined on this day last year thanks to open invites.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Horn posted:

Thecubenet is running a sale, picked up 200gb block for 10 dollars.

Isn't it cheaper to buy ten 25gb blocks for $0.99/each? 250gb for $9.99

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Unless I'm missing somethimg, buying a block from anyone but Usenet.Farm seems like an odd choice. With their own servers for 30 days and both XSNews and Highwinds as a backup, I can't see any reason to get a just-Highwinds backup server.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I suppose you're probably right. Usenet.farm is cheaper than Blocknews, and I really only used Blocknews to supplement my Frugal Usenet annual sub, since the retention is low.

Also signed up for nzbcat, and will be paying for VIP. Always good to have more indexers!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Sonarr is so great. Is there anything like it for Music/Movies? Headphones/CouchPotato? I've heard mixed reviews of both.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 28, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Couch Potato works pretty well for movies. Headphones is... less good due to the chaotic way music is organized on the web. There's a good reason there's been a lot of mourning for what.cd, going through music on usenet is a chore.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Supernews working for anyone? I can't connect to or even ping them from either my home or my VPS in another country, so it's looking like they're down.

edit: They're working again, apparently the EU server was working the whole time but I didn't have that set up.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 28, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
To be honest binsearch works best for music for me for all but the most obscure stuff.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
is NZB.su hosed for anyone else? I'm VIP but it hasn;'t gotten poo poo in 3 days and the nzb.su front end site is hosed (VIP Login works though...)

ippon
Nov 16, 2012
Looks fine for me. Logged in non-vip and seeing things an hour old so far.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ippon posted:

Looks fine for me. Logged in non-vip and seeing things an hour old so far.

Testing NZB.SU in SONARR just spins forever. My API is good. My VIP is good for 3 more months...

not sure what's up.

Any good backup free options I can add as a secondary?

ippon
Nov 16, 2012
You can attempt to sign up with nzb cat. I believe they're still open and you have 500 API Searches Per Day, 50 NZB Grabs Per Day, with things up to 60 days old.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ippon posted:

You can attempt to sign up with nzb cat. I believe they're still open and you have 500 API Searches Per Day, 50 NZB Grabs Per Day, with things up to 60 days old.

Trying this now. Do I do it in SONARR under NewzNab > Custom? It doesn't seem to be working...

ippon
Nov 16, 2012
It should be an option under Newznab -> Presets.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Testing NZB.SU in SONARR just spins forever. My API is good. My VIP is good for 3 more months...

not sure what's up.

Any good backup free options I can add as a secondary?

Make sure you're using api.nzb.su in Sonarr, in case you had an old link from before they switched over.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm going to go ahead an pony up for the indexers that Sonarr complains about hitting API limits on just because I like to keep my options open (thinking about all the private trackers I used to be on that closed up shop until I ran out of private trackers because I didn't stay on top of signing up for new ones). Anyway before I lay down some cash, is there anything particularly lovely recently about any of the following three?

dognzb.cr
nzb.su
nzb.is

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I haven't seen any issues with dog but can't speak for the others.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I'm going to go ahead an pony up for the indexers that Sonarr complains about hitting API limits on just because I like to keep my options open (thinking about all the private trackers I used to be on that closed up shop until I ran out of private trackers because I didn't stay on top of signing up for new ones). Anyway before I lay down some cash, is there anything particularly lovely recently about any of the following three?

dognzb.cr
nzb.su
nzb.is

I gave up on dog after they went bitcoin only and use nzb.cat instead. Beyond that looks good. My list is something like:

nzbs.org
nzb.su (great for female oriented content)
nzb.cat
nzbs.in
Sickbeard Index for Sonarr. Sometimes this stops working but I can't complain.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I use these and don't have problems:

dognzb.cr
nzbs.org
nzb.cat
nzb.su

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I've started pretty recently, and paid for the VIP nzbcat over the Black Friday sale. I'd like to diversify from just that 1. Is there another I should target?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Grumpwagon posted:

I've started pretty recently, and paid for the VIP nzbcat over the Black Friday sale. I'd like to diversify from just that 1. Is there another I should target?

Any of them in the posts just previous to yours are fine.