Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CodfishCartographer posted:

I wound up settling on Dolphin, it seems to do the job. Opera magically started playing webm files fine for like a day or two, then stopped again. Dolphin seems to do everything I'd like in a browser, and I've actually heard of it before so hopefully it's reliable and supported. We'll see if it keeps up the good work, though.

Wasn't Dolphin the one that was bought out and made into a malware platform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

beerinator posted:

Damnit. Now I have like three apps and two voice systems to control my light bulbs.

Now you just need to integrate it with IFTTT, so that it will change the hue depending on the weather.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is there a goon recommended workout app? They have a couple on sale now and I've had luck with similar things in the past, where it ramps you op over a few weeks.

Also, any if these alarm apps worth messing with? The kind that track your sleep cycle or whatever.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Could be, but it used to be pretty drat nice, great caching that allowed immediate page back and the like. Half assed plug ins though, terrible ad block. I switched to Firefox for plug ins myself, but I do miss the interface behavior of Dolphin.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Dyscrasia posted:

Could be, but it used to be pretty drat nice, great caching that allowed immediate page back and the like. Half assed plug ins though, terrible ad block. I switched to Firefox for plug ins myself, but I do miss the interface behavior of Dolphin.

Maybe it was a data leak of some sort. Either way I can't find any info on it now.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is there a way to have the Swiftkey keyboard in landscape mode not do this:

I don't have tiny trump hands, so I would rather have it stretch over the full width. I have searched the options but could not find any switch for full width display.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

does the green triangle on the left allow you to adjust the size? seems like it should

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Options - > Layout - > Full

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

I hope not, because it's the browser I've been happiest with so far :v: The adblock isn't quite as good as Firefox's, but the browser is quick and I prefer the UI over Firefox. Guess I'll research a little to make sure I'm not being led into a trap or something.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Blue Train posted:

does the green triangle on the left allow you to adjust the size? seems like it should

No, it just snaps the keyboard to the left or right side.

Uthor posted:

Options - > Layout - > Full

Oh, there's a tiny little menu in landscape mode. Did not catch that.
There is no option like this in the default settings menu.

Thanks.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is Action Launcher Pro worth it?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Is Action Launcher Pro worth it?

I think so.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

PowerAmp is currently $0.99.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Can anyone recommend a good photo collage app? I'm more interested in making bare bones collages than using a ton of filters and stickers. I'm happy to pay for the right app. Used to use PhotoGrid but it's turned into a weird instagram clone with a bunch of garbage that I don't want on my phone attached to it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

cyberia posted:

Can anyone recommend a good photo collage app? I'm more interested in making bare bones collages than using a ton of filters and stickers. I'm happy to pay for the right app. Used to use PhotoGrid but it's turned into a weird instagram clone with a bunch of garbage that I don't want on my phone attached to it.

Have you tried Layout? It's from the Instagram devs and it works well.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

The Dark One posted:

Live Wallpapers were introduced with Gingerbread, so they couldn't have been that resource intensive.

Eclair

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

What does it offer over BlackPlayer? Because BlackPlayer owns.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Curious what you guys think about Keybee. It's a non-QWERTY keyboard designed for one-handed typing and swiping (it has n-grams like ing on adjacent keys.) Been using it for a couple weeks and I'm not up to my QWERTY speed yet but I think that it will ultimately surpass that. It's about time we have keyboards designed for mobile imho

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Long time Pandora user, recently decided to give Google Play music a try.

I started just listening to the suggested playlists, but they are all incredibly unbearable and I run out of skips immediately. Do they get better after listening for a while, up/downvoting, etc? Or is it best to just always ignore them and search for specific bands/songs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

peepsalot posted:

I started just listening to the suggested playlists, but they are all incredibly unbearable and I run out of skips immediately. Do they get better after listening for a while, up/downvoting, etc? Or is it best to just always ignore them and search for specific bands/songs.

I find them to be great, so its' just going to depend on your tastes.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

peepsalot posted:

Once it gets an idea of your taste it seems to be pretty good. Just do the thumbs up/down and listen to specific artists you like at first, it will give you recommendations based on things you've listened to before and with what frequency. I imagine the default stations/recommendations are all basic as hell

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

xtal posted:

Curious what you guys think about Keybee. It's a non-QWERTY keyboard designed for one-handed typing and swiping (it has n-grams like ing on adjacent keys.) Been using it for a couple weeks and I'm not up to my QWERTY speed yet but I think that it will ultimately surpass that. It's about time we have keyboards designed for mobile imho

I think you are a very patient person. I might give it a legit try someday but I just installed it for a quick try and went "hahahaha, nope."

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

XIII posted:

Have you tried Layout? It's from the Instagram devs and it works well.

This looks like what I need. Thank you.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

peepsalot posted:

I preferred Pandora, but like the no ad YouTube enough to make Google music worth it. I don't think the stations are as good, but recently they made some changes. I think the finally incorporated a steaming service that was bought a few years ago.

I've found if you create a playlist of a few artist, and then create a station from the playlist, it works better.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Ferret King posted:

I think you are a very patient person. I might give it a legit try someday but I just installed it for a quick try and went "hahahaha, nope."

I think it also depends on what music you like, and what you like about it. Eg, it's probably easier for the software to figure out "I like metal bands with wicked guitarwork" than "I like metal bands with historical gimmicks, but only if they're well researched/authentic or there's lyrics in a weird language."

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 28, 2016

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

peepsalot posted:

Run out of skips? Is that a thing for the free version or something? I don't use the radio thing very much, but I don't remember running into that. I've had All Access since I started using the service, though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Wrist Watch posted:

Run out of skips? Is that a thing for the free version or something? I don't use the radio thing very much, but I don't remember running into that. I've had All Access since I started using the service, though.

It is on the free or whatever version, yeah

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So I've been using BeyondPod for a while and was thinking about ponying up the money for the Pro version, but also went and looked a bunch of reviews of it and Pocket Casts. It seems like all of the reviews were written before some big BeyondPod UI update, because none of the screenshots look like the current app, and honestly all of the Pocket Casts screenshots look pretty much like BeyondPod these days.

Is there really any sizable difference between the two these days?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

LastInLine posted:

Maybe it was a data leak of some sort. Either way I can't find any info on it now.

Think it was this (2015):
http://www.welivesecurity.com/2015/08/26/dolphin-mercury-android-browsers-major-vulnerabilities/

Remote execution vulns

There was also this from 2011:
https://www.cnet.com/news/dolphin-hd-browser-snared-in-security-breach/

Where it would phone home with every URL visited, but that's probably handled by now

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Pocket Casts has a terrible UI but in my experience it's the least-worse

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

xtal posted:

Pocket Casts has a terrible UI but in my experience it's the least-worse

It looks like BeyondPod's settings menus haven't been re-made since Honeycomb, but I find the UI not terrible. The Pro key is on sale for $3 so I ended up just buying that.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Inspector_666 posted:

It looks like BeyondPod's settings menus haven't been re-made since Honeycomb, but I find the UI not terrible. The Pro key is on sale for $3 so I ended up just buying that.

Beyondpod handles private feeds much better, pocketcasts synching feature doesn't require feedly as a middle man so it's a bit easier to use. Pocketcasts has a very nice web client that also syncs with your app, but it costs an additional $5ish.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Scaramouche posted:

Think it was this (2015):
http://www.welivesecurity.com/2015/08/26/dolphin-mercury-android-browsers-major-vulnerabilities/

Remote execution vulns

There was also this from 2011:
https://www.cnet.com/news/dolphin-hd-browser-snared-in-security-breach/

Where it would phone home with every URL visited, but that's probably handled by now

I'm certain it was the latter one, thanks!

hot date tonight! posted:

Beyondpod handles private feeds much better, pocketcasts synching feature doesn't require feedly as a middle man so it's a bit easier to use. Pocketcasts has a very nice web client that also syncs with your app, but it costs an additional $5ish.

It used to cost $9. That said, it's been worth every penny to me, I use it very frequently.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I might just be missing it but I can't find a file explorer in my Nexus 6P, can I get recs for a good one? Preferably free?

Or just get shown where my built in one is and feel like a dolt, whatever's clever :dance:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Johnny Truant posted:

I might just be missing it but I can't find a file explorer in my Nexus 6P, can I get recs for a good one? Preferably free?

Or just get shown where my built in one is and feel like a dolt, whatever's clever :dance:

If you don't need root, Explorer is nice and free. Whatever you do, avoid ES.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Not rooted yet so this is perfect, thanks!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Solid Explorer is extremely good and my fave

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer2

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Seconding this, it's a very solid app.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

What's wrong with ES? I saw it listed in the OP and it seems alright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

What's wrong with ES? I saw it listed in the OP and it seems alright?

Loads of ads and pop-ups now, it's bad. Thirding solid explorer owning tho