Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
Anybody else in the Space Hulk beta? If so want to play some ff games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

DaveKap posted:

Another No Man's Sky travel report.

Survival mode is loving bonkers hard. Aside from the fact that it makes your life support and hazard suit bars go down waaaay faster than you're used to, the fall damage will be the end of you early game. It's so loving hard that I have to assume getting control of your situation is going to feel REALLY satisfying.
The worst really is handling your life support, though. By starting out in hazardous conditions, your life support automatically takes a huge hit and the only way to actually keep it up is by finding Thalium9 which is not a very common thing to find. At least not on my stating planet. Considering the scanner takes a long time to recharge now and you need it in order to find that Thalium9, you're spending time in caves trying to keep yourself from dying due to the hazardous environment. Basically, you will die and it will probably be from fall damage.

I'm not sure if I'll keep bothering with Survival or just go back to my Classic save since it has all the new stuff anyway. When you start up your classic save, it actually prompts you with a short list of patch notes. One of the ones that stood out to me was "larger space battles and new ship mechanics." I have no idea what the new mechanics are supposed to be but here's hoping they finally added missiles...

Lastly, despite my earlier post exclaiming you don't just walk up to stuff to find new tech, this is still actually a thing you do. It's just that a bunch of tech is now hidden behind the base building missions instead. Important difference there but if you already found all the random "click to find" tech in your Classic game, there is now more to find. First thing I clicked on gave me tech for my blaster, so there is plenty more to discover now in your old game.

Edit: Oh poo poo, I think I just realized why my life support shoots down so fast... Melee boost jumping is now tracked by the game. And it makes your life support SINK. Wow. They turned a bug into a feature... one that actually hurts you in survival mode. Jeez!

Edit2: Oh, right, crafting things actually matters now... so gathering up the easier-to-find plutonium and carbon lets you make packs that fix your life support. It's crazy coming back to this game 3 months later, your prior knowledge has to be discarded.

I missed out on reading what NMS actually played like. Is there an actual start-to-finish game or is it an exploration game and nothing else (or as I like to call them Screenshot Simulators)?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Ciaphas posted:

I missed out on reading what NMS actually played like. Is there an actual start-to-finish game or is it an exploration game and nothing else (or as I like to call them Screenshot Simulators)?

There is, in theory, an end to the game. The problem is that the "end" is effectively the game going "you're winner!" and then dropping you back on another planet. So, in effect, it's strictly exploration (and base building, as of this new update).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
whoops, should've reloaded the page before posting before.

DaveKap posted:

If I defend anything, it's the developers as humans against the idiocy of Internet groupthink.
The only person anyone should be mad at in this whole shitshow is Sean Murray. The rest of Hello Games should not be held accountable for him just lying through his teeth constantly, wishing for things that don't exist and haven't even begun to be worked on. "Well why don't they speak out about it" is something I've seen far, far too often and it shows a distinct misunderstanding of the situation. If it were just some PR guy talking nonsense that'd be one thing. But in Hello Games's case, their PR guy is ALSO THE COMPANY PRESIDENT. And calling out your boss publicly for lying is tantamount to employment suicide. Those who think the employees should risk their jobs and indeed future employment(because it'll look real good on your resume that you got fired for calling out your boss) just to "take a stand" are insulated from the ramifications of doing that and so don't see a problem with telling someone to throw away their employment to make a statement.

DaveKap posted:

Edit: Oh poo poo, I think I just realized why my life support shoots down so fast... Melee boost jumping is now tracked by the game. And it makes your life support SINK. Wow. They turned a bug into a feature... one that actually hurts you in survival mode. Jeez!
I take back everything good I said about this patch

Deakul posted:

$30.
And yeah, it's just that I've tried the free version of Minecraft in the past like and I couldn't get into it at all and I really can't justify plopping $30 on it.
But, these mods definitely make me curious cause I love loot and variety in enemies/biomes but vanilla Minecraft lacked both that I could see.

Like Terraria was my jam, I got some many hours in it just building up a comfy base and killing monsters and going cave/dungeon crawling for loot and loot chests.

So, would you say that there's mods that would scratch that itch? Sounds like the mod you posted probably does.
It depends. With Life In The Woods, I would recommend being able to access the console and turn on cheats and such, because some things do occasionally break and it really sucks losing some rare stuff because it accidentally burned up, or despawned. It's rare, but it does happen. And sometimes you don't want to nudge that cow up a flight of stairs into your airborne animal farm, but instead just spawn a cow using a cow egg item from the item menu. And I remember going to The End and immediately being killed by the Ender Dragon who knocked me off the platform I spawned on before it had even loaded, so I cheated all my armor and items back because gently caress that.

The modpack includes a helpful mod called Too Many Items that allows this sort of thing and also allows you to turn rain on/off, set the time(noon, midnight, dawn, dusk etc), enable item magnetism which collects far-away items that drop(INCREDIBLY USEFUL ALWAYS HAVE THIS ON), and other stuff.

Minecraft unfortunately I don't think can compare to Terraria in scope simply because they are of completely different scales. Minecraft is first-person while Terraria is a really tiny dude running around, some of the bosses in Terraria would be mountain-sized in Minecraft. Life in the Woods uses an older version of Minecraft(because later versions broke some crucial parts of the mods), but it took me like a hundred hours to really find most of the items you can find in the game. Really my main complain with LITW is that there's a lot of stuff that you can loot that doesn't really do anything except maybe turn into dye. Most plants for example. But the food system is insanely robust and building up a farm was actually pretty fun because you had to be real careful with your crops until you could build up a stockpile to replant with.

It's hard to say whether you'd enjoy it or not since combat in Terraria and Minecraft is like apples and oranges. But boy, nighttime in Minecraft can get real scary even if you've got diamond armor on(least, until you enchant it and become a god of death).

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

God drat you for making me want to re-visit Minecraft. I'm super interested in this. What's the difference between the original version and Renaissance? I don't even see a place to get the original.
The site had a link to the older version on it, and the site doesn't really look any different from before, but maybe they took that link down? Renaissance removes a number of mods that added various monsters and animals, which imo added a ton of character to a lot of biomes. There's some other big differences and I've seen lists before but unfortunately it's been long enough that I couldn't specifically point them out, sorry!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Captain Invictus posted:

The site had a link to the older version on it, and the site doesn't really look any different from before, but maybe they took that link down? Renaissance removes a number of mods that added various monsters and animals, which imo added a ton of character to a lot of biomes. There's some other big differences and I've seen lists before but unfortunately it's been long enough that I couldn't specifically point them out, sorry!

Which mods did it remove? I'm looking at the modlist for the original and the modlist for the new one and nothings jumping out at me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How is The Diversion these days? Heard it got a big patch recently that made it a lot better.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Justin_Brett posted:

Speaking of games in that genre, how is Crypt Ark?
Its my favorite twin stick shooter but it is intense as gently caress and requires riding a risk reward line that feeds back to what resources you have for subsequent missions during a given run.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cryptark's campaign mode is ridiculous for me. The Roguelike mode is a little more relaxed because you dont have to worry about blowing your budget. The tradeoff is you only get what you find.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Which mods did it remove? I'm looking at the modlist for the original and the modlist for the new one and nothings jumping out at me.

It could be updated versions of mods that removed stuff inside themselves, but the original LITW had poo poo like skeleton pegasi, elephants, mammoths, snakes, alligators, komodo dragons, etc and I don't think Renaissance has any of that

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I have one more entry in my Games I'm Thankful For list to log before loving back off to my roguelikes (and my impassioned defense of Enter the Gungeon I'm charging up) but it's one I'm very, very thankful for. Allow to explain, once and for all, my infatuation with Titan Quest Anniversary Edition.

I've been in love with Titan Quest for a long time. I picked it up on a lark years ago and found myself utterly sucked into the epic journey across ancient Greece and beyond. Plenty more ARPGs have come and built on the formula in the intervening years, and it's hard to say they don't do what TQ does better. However, there's at least one place where this title still shines, and it's enough to keep me fighting and looting for years to come.

Titan Quest drops you on the bank of a pastoral Greek river as simple, nondescript warrior. Satyrs, harpies, and other beasts of legend have risen up to torment the populace and you just happen to be in the right place to kill them all and loot their magically-enchanted pants. To unravel the plot behind this monstrous scourge you'll travel to Egypt, Babylon, China, and fabled lands beyond, battling the mythical creatures of each. Figures like Leonidas and the Oracle of Delphi will also be on hand to help guide you in your quest.

Unlike most ARPGs, you do not choose your class at character creation. Instead, when you gain your first level you choose one of nine Masteries. Each is a skill tree representing a discipline such as warfare, hunting, storm magic, necromancy, and so on. Again at level 8 you choose another Mastery, meaning every character is a combination of skills from two of these disciplines. Equipment is not tied to specific classes, either, so you can make such motley combinations as a dreamweaving necromantic axeman, a pyromaniac forest warden, or a heavily-armored mace-wielding stormcaller.

In Titan Quest's original release there were certain combinations of Masteries that simply were not viable, but the Anniversary Edition has done a massive amount of rebalancing to make any character you want work. Most notably the overpowered Dream Mastery was brought back in line with the others, and pets were buffed to make minion-heavy Masteries like Nature and Storm more viable. Success is still going to depend on proper balancing of your skill points, which might be unintuitive to new players since you can invest in both specific skills and the Mastery itself to increase your stats and unlock new skills.

Gear is the other place you'll need to work to keep up, but there's plenty to choose from and plenty to do with it. Equipment drops in familiar rarities, with drops conspicuously increasing in quality as you progress. You'll also find charms and relics that can be added to equipment to give them new bonuses, or combined using formulas to create a unique and powerful class of gear you won't find via drops. There's a lot of strategy not just to choosing equipment but in customizing it to work for your build and against the monsters you'll face.

These are solid foundations for an ARPG, but even I have to admit the game they are built upon is dated. Titan Quest was very much a love-letter to Diablo II, with 3D graphics and freer movement and a few other improvements but the same basic gameplay. Don't expect the visceral clashes of Diablo III or the depth of Path of Exile, because TQ is light on active abilities and combat feedback. Despite your Mastery combinations you tend to only have a half-dozen active skills to use, with your passives doing a lot more work keeping you strong and alive than in most games. There's also not much recourse against particularly challenging monsters if your build is lacking against them, and the final boss remains a seriously rough jump in difficulty that can burn through some characters like paper.

Despite the dated gameplay and remaining balance issues, I still consider Titan Quest one of the best ARPGs I've ever played. The reason for this isn't something that's a major consideration for most people, but it means a lot to me. My favorite games are the ones that feel like true journeys, from humble beginnings to great and wondrous things. Plenty of ARPGs let you raise a hero from nothing but Titan Quest is the one that lives up to its name, taking you from the sandals of a simple traveler to the divine boots of a god-slayer. A big part of this success is found in the map design, because almost the entire world of TQ is contiguous. When you travel across Greece and China you are actually travelling across mountains and valleys on an epic pilgrimage into destiny. No other game has given me the same sense of living out an epic poem so tangibly, and I respect the hell out of Titan Quest and its developers for succeeding on that front.

The aged graphics still hold up in portraying this journey, with snowy steppes and burning deserts and verdant farmlands. The sound design is good but tends to be more low-key than most ARPGs, giving Titan Quest a more relaxed feel than its peers. On top of its original merits the Anniversary Edition has introduced a host of fixes, tweaks, and features, most notably a speed option for the game. This is not a minor consideration, either. You can seriously set the entire game to double speed, tearing through battles and building your character faster than in just about any other game. With these improvements to an already solid game, I feel not only comfortable but compelled to recommend Titan Quest to any fan of the genre.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Rirse posted:

How is The Diversion these days? Heard it got a big patch recently that made it a lot better.

If what I've heard is accurate, it's one of the best loot 'em ups around currently.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Shima Honnou posted:

If what I've heard is accurate, it's one of the best loot 'em ups around currently.

I found the thread and everyone is super positive there. Worth getting the DLCs or just the base game for now? From the looks of it, most is just outfits that I am not that worry about using so it mostly just the two expansions.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Rirse posted:

The Division is, and always was, a good game, except now it's better than it ever was before.

Last trip report from No Man's Sky.

Survival mode is loving frustrating for two solid reasons. 1: Your past knowledge about how the game works is mostly wrong now and 2: Some scanner-type poo poo needs fixing. If you're out of zinc, don't depend on your scanner to actually tell you where the nearest zinc is. If you need Heridium, you have to plop down a signal booster to tell you where it is except it won't tell you where the nearest one is, just where a random one within a 20 minute walk is. I needed some and it told me to walk 17 minutes. 1 minute into my walk I found a deposit and took it back to my ship. It's really awful.
That said, it does feel really really good to finally get all your poo poo together and not be constantly close to death. It's a risk/reward kinda thing, except the reward is the same as it was before, it just feels like a bigger accomplishment.
The "new space combat mechanic" is that when you aim at an enemy, it'll give you a reticle to try to stay within. If you hit it bullseye, it does critical 2x damage to the enemy. So, hey, space combat isn't just point and shoot anymore, you have to aim now.
Freighters cost somewhere in the 8 figure range so that's a thing to keep in mind. Also, always have at least 2 stacks of plutonium on you at all times, taking off now uses up its entire fuel gauge. I plan on modding that out asap because that's less "a fun mechanic" and more "difficulty for difficulty's sake." Without an upgrade chain for the landing gear, this was a stupid change to make. Also they didn't make it so you're guaranteed to hit a landing pad when trying to land near a landing pad. Like, the dumbest bug that needed fixing and needed it even MORE fixed for survival, still isn't fixed. Yuck.

So, if you're shaky on going back to No Man's Sky, I'd say stick to creative or your classic game and try out all the new poo poo. If you wanted a difficult experience that actually made you feel all those lonely, explorative, die-at-any-second feelings Sean Murray insisted you would have, play Survival.

Edit: One more thing about survival! There is no auto-save! As far as I can tell, the only time it saves is when you actively hit a save marker. This is why they made save markers buildable. Getting out of your ship no longer counts as saving! This is super important. Edit on this actually auto-saves exist in space stations.

Captain Invictus posted:

I take back everything good I said about this patch
Let me correct myself on this one. It's not that the game tracks and punishes you for doing melee booster jumping. It's actually that just using your jetpack causes your life support systems to drop the fastest. Since melee boosting requires jetpack usage, it made it seem like it was the cause. Nope, jetpacking just kills you I guess.
My bet is that this is an upgradable thing though, since jetpacks and the life support system are are, y'know, upgradable already anyway.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 28, 2016

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I had a lot of fun with pre-patch Division, but after the patch it's probably one of my favorite third-person shooters/ARPG's ever.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

No man's sky got patched, and rather than patching in the feature everyone thought was going to be in the game (because the face of the company said multiple times it was going to have), multiplayer, they decided to do some completely unrelated features?

lol

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

No man's sky got patched, and rather than patching in the feature everyone thought was going to be in the game (because the face of the company said multiple times it was going to have), multiplayer, they decided to do some completely unrelated features?

lol

what feature did everyone think was going to be in the game?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hmmmm, yes, let's bring up the ol' chestnut of "Sean Murray Said It So It Must Be Coming"

Sean Murray said a whole lot of poo poo that isn't even remotely true. He is Peter Molyneux 2.0. Multiplayer, if it ever happens, I suspect won't be for a long time yet because the game simply isn't designed for it in its current state.

I would rather have NPCs who walk around rather than being bolted to the floor before multiplayer, anyways.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

awesmoe posted:

what feature did everyone think was going to be in the game?

Gameplay

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

well i mean yeah

but I guess the guy meant multiplayer?

anyway who cares it still sucks.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Alright so I'm kind of in the mood for an FPS even though I'm really not all that great at them (I'd rate my skill as 'average'). I'm looking at BF1, Titanfall 2, and Overwatch. I have a pretty decent computer with a GTX 980. Does anyone have any good tiebreakers for me? I kind of like single player as well so I'm slightly leaning against Overwatch, but then again everyone says it's amazing so I'm not sure. Also, if there are better deals on the PC versions that the $40 on Origin or $35 for Overwatch that would be great too.

Battlefield 1 is amazing and it's really optimized. Playing medic means you can still help your team even if you aren't the greatest player (I play with a controller on PC and I can still end up near the top half of the scoreboard)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Instead of being mad NMS doesn't have multiplayer, let's be mad that Stardew Valley still doesn't have multiplayer or any kind of co-op! I want to fish for my friends, I'm good at it and they prefer doing everything else in the game. :saddowns:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Too Shy Guy posted:

I have one more entry in my Games I'm Thankful For list to log before loving back off to my roguelikes (and my impassioned defense of Enter the Gungeon I'm charging up) but it's one I'm very, very thankful for. Allow to explain, once and for all, my infatuation with Titan Quest Anniversary Edition.
Titan Quest is amazing. I played through it while waiting a week for my home internet to get hooked up.

Having already had a bunch of time in the original version, I can say they did a great job fixing up build issues. The only bad thing I have to say is it still has its weird slow-down whenever you portal or die because for some reason they thought making the game look like it had performance issues was better than zipping out to a load screen.

Here is a picture of me earning an achievement for beating the game without killing more than 100 enemies and an achievement for beating the game without dying.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ghostlight posted:

Here is a picture of me earning an achievement for beating the game without killing more than 100 enemies

Holy poo poo, well done

Man. Time to spend another million hours in Titan Quest. I don't even know what I love so much, I just keep going back to it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

Despite the dated gameplay and remaining balance issues, I still consider Titan Quest one of the best ARPGs I've ever played. The reason for this isn't something that's a major consideration for most people, but it means a lot to me. My favorite games are the ones that feel like true journeys, from humble beginnings to great and wondrous things. Plenty of ARPGs let you raise a hero from nothing but Titan Quest is the one that lives up to its name, taking you from the sandals of a simple traveler to the divine boots of a god-slayer. A big part of this success is found in the map design, because almost the entire world of TQ is contiguous. When you travel across Greece and China you are actually travelling across mountains and valleys on an epic pilgrimage into destiny. No other game has given me the same sense of living out an epic poem so tangibly, and I respect the hell out of Titan Quest and its developers for succeeding on that front.

First off, drat you, I'll probably pick up Titan Quest tonight instead of putting it off for later. That sounds incredibly compelling! :argh:

Second off, what other games feel like journeys to you? That sense of progression is probably my favorite thing to feel regarding media as the character goes from nobody to someone cool, and it's incredible when games pull it off.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thanks for the FPS advice everyone. Really, it sounds like they are all great games. I think I'm going to go with BF1 for now and probably pick up overwatch with some xmas money if I can convince some friends to get it as well. Titanfall 2 looks great but I bounced hard off of the first one so I'll probably wait and pick it up for cheap.

Also :lol: at the NMS patch. I never played the game before and got it earlier in the sale and started it up in 'survival' mode today. It landed me on a planet that is like -50 degrees Celsius with my ship a 7 minute walk away. I last about 2 minutes before my life support runs out and I die. I spent the next two lives finding every cave within a 2 minute walk of my start, and none of them have life support fuel. So basically, I was started in an impossible position and I just die within a couple of minutes everytime. Fun! At least my planet looks pretty interesting.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If you get Titan Quest and like it, try out Grim Dawn sometime: it's basically the same game with everything more directly modernized.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Instead of being mad NMS doesn't have multiplayer, let's be mad that Stardew Valley still doesn't have multiplayer or any kind of co-op! I want to fish for my friends, I'm good at it and they prefer doing everything else in the game. :saddowns:

My first thought at hearing about multiplayer Stardew is "whoa that sounds awesome!" but the more I think about it, the more I realize that multiplayer wouldn't make any sense given how the game plays.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

If you get Titan Quest and like it, try out Grim Dawn sometime: it's basically the same game with everything more directly modernized.

I have Grim Dawn, and like it - I do need to spend more time with it, but - well. Is Titan Quest better optimized than Grim Dawn? Grim Dawn loves to be obnoxious on my system even with the lowest settings.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

without killing more than 100 enemies

How does this work? I haven't completed the game, do you just skip almost all mobs except for boss monster types or what?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My first thought at hearing about multiplayer Stardew is "whoa that sounds awesome!" but the more I think about it, the more I realize that multiplayer wouldn't make any sense given how the game plays.

In my dream land, you basically play co-op on the same farm. Everyone follows the same clock, but you can go off and do whatever - I could go fish while my friend goes and plants turnips, for example. A team raises a single farm, basically. Sure it'd be horribly unbalanced, but who cares? Megafarms with friends would be incredibly fun.

You'd probably want to split up the friendship mechanics so Shane could be friends with Farmer A but not Farmer B, though. And split up recipes and skills as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rirse posted:

I found the thread and everyone is super positive there. Worth getting the DLCs or just the base game for now? From the looks of it, most is just outfits that I am not that worry about using so it mostly just the two expansions.

Base game to start. Most of the DLC is endgame-styled areas.

The patch is such a huge improvement, but it's also hilarious how it has made the game's selling point of The Dark Zone useless except for the biggest tryhards. DZ was supposed to be greater risk, greater reward but with the main world difficulty settings, DZ is now basically gank gangland where as soon as a group's outnumbered they run for the hills.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

FirstAidKite posted:

How does this work? I haven't completed the game, do you just skip almost all mobs except for boss monster types or what?

That achievement is specifically for you killing monsters. Hence the five guys he has with him.

I'm curious how he managed to beat the final Greece boss, honestly, he stonewalled me with that same combo.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh hey, LoK Soul Reaver is a really good action/adventure game on sale now. I dunno how the steam port is, but I have good memories of the PSX game.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Thanks for the FPS advice everyone. Really, it sounds like they are all great games. I think I'm going to go with BF1 for now and probably pick up overwatch with some xmas money if I can convince some friends to get it as well. Titanfall 2 looks great but I bounced hard off of the first one so I'll probably wait and pick it up for cheap.

Also :lol: at the NMS patch. I never played the game before and got it earlier in the sale and started it up in 'survival' mode today. It landed me on a planet that is like -50 degrees Celsius with my ship a 7 minute walk away. I last about 2 minutes before my life support runs out and I die. I spent the next two lives finding every cave within a 2 minute walk of my start, and none of them have life support fuel. So basically, I was started in an impossible position and I just die within a couple of minutes everytime. Fun! At least my planet looks pretty interesting.

Titanfall 2 is badass and the best fps I have played this year. Overwatch is still quite good I definitely recommend it in general but I wouldn't recommend it to people who get overly competitive sometimes? To explain, team composition matters kind of a lot in Overwatch. Being on a team without a support and a tank can be pretty miserable (though occasionally it goes fine). So this can lead to scenarios where either you end up filling in gaps on the team (which by default means you end up picking a lot of supports and tanks and even as someone who likes those roles I don't want to do them every game). Or you and the 4 other players lock in what you want to play, you end up needing support, and the last person locks in attack Hanzo and you just want to drone strike that person off the planet. It is very much the same feeling you get in a moba when someone locks in some dumpster tier champ for a role someone has already picked and it can scuttle the whole game just as badly if nobody is willing to switch.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mokinokaro posted:

Base game to start. Most of the DLC is endgame-styled areas.

The patch is such a huge improvement, but it's also hilarious how it has made the game's selling point of The Dark Zone useless except for the biggest tryhards. DZ was supposed to be greater risk, greater reward but with the main world difficulty settings, DZ is now basically gank gangland where as soon as a group's outnumbered they run for the hills.

Sounds like a plan. I bought the base game for now, and if I am enjoying it then I will grab the season pass before the sale ends on Tuesday.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Isn't switching at will a part of Overwatch?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Failboattootoot posted:

Titanfall 2 is badass and the best fps I have played this year. Overwatch is still quite good I definitely recommend it in general but I wouldn't recommend it to people who get overly competitive sometimes? To explain, team composition matters kind of a lot in Overwatch. Being on a team without a support and a tank can be pretty miserable (though occasionally it goes fine). So this can lead to scenarios where either you end up filling in gaps on the team (which by default means you end up picking a lot of supports and tanks and even as someone who likes those roles I don't want to do them every game). Or you and the 4 other players lock in what you want to play, you end up needing support, and the last person locks in attack Hanzo and you just want to drone strike that person off the planet. It is very much the same feeling you get in a moba when someone locks in some dumpster tier champ for a role someone has already picked and it can scuttle the whole game just as badly if nobody is willing to switch.

Jamfrost posted:

Isn't switching at will a part of Overwatch?

There's that (unlike MOBAs you can switch out heroes at any time when you're in spawn) and there's also the fact that there are several game modes in Overwatch. In competitive ladder-climbing play yes, people will get very competitive and team composition matters. In quickplay nobody gives a poo poo except for the sort of person who likes to bitch about everyone and everything in all-chat who is a common feature in any game you play with other people. In quickplay everybody just does their own thing and team comp doesn't matter. You're the last to pick and nobody else has gone healer? gently caress'em, play Roadhog and heal yourself. Do whatever you want because it doesn't even track W/L.

Right now, as of this week, things are kind of weird because Blizzard institutes a week or two of downtime between competitive seasons and Season 2 just ended, so all the competitive tryhards are mixing with the casual play population and so you can end up with coordinated teams on one end and six randos on the other, but in general the pro esports side of Overwatch is vastly outweighed by the number of players who log in to do quickplay. In addition Blizzard just updated with something called the Arcade which is where you can play a bunch of different, even more casual game modes including old-style quickplay with no hero limits so you can have up to six of a single hero on your team if you want, 1v1 best of five dueling, 3v3 last man standing, 6v6 random heroes (where everyone gets assigned a hero at random and on death you respawn as another random hero), and Random Brawl which is a bunch of different game modes with various modifiers and restrictions thrown in.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Deakul posted:

$30.
And yeah, it's just that I've tried the free version of Minecraft in the past like and I couldn't get into it at all and I really can't justify plopping $30 on it.
But, these mods definitely make me curious cause I love loot and variety in enemies/biomes but vanilla Minecraft lacked both that I could see.

Like Terraria was my jam, I got some many hours in it just building up a comfy base and killing monsters and going cave/dungeon crawling for loot and loot chests.

So, would you say that there's mods that would scratch that itch? Sounds like the mod you posted probably does.

If you want to experience Vanilla Minecraft But Better you should try Creativerse. You can't mod that though. Minecraft modding is a very very strange endeavor. Yeah there are a ton of mods out there but there's practically no documentation on any of them and they are not intuitive enough to just learn by doing. I straight up don't understand how to even get started on some of the bigger modpacks. You need like 5 wikis open at once.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For the record I want to say I agree with Failboat that Titanfall 2 is also an absolutely excellent game with a single-player campaign that's way, way better than anyone was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

One last post about the No Man's Sky update.

I can't recommend Survival in its current state. Unfortunately, as a mode which depends upon you finding specific resources via your scanner (which, btw, is broken) and limits your resources to the point that hitting landing pads actually matters now, it's just not fun. Hopefully they'll fix the issues with these bugs and the mode will feel like a proper challenge but until then, it's a mode which emphasizes what's broken with the game rather than what's fun about it.

Just play your last save, there's plenty new to do with it.

Oh I guess I'll also mention that because they start everyone off near each other now (instead of "all along the edge of the galaxy" which, btw, was bullshit as people have discovered the galaxy isn't even a circle) you'll constantly be seeing named stuff when you start new games.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 28, 2016

• Locked thread