Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

greatn posted:

Not really since by the time you unlock him you already completed the game.

Well yeah, but the point is that he's still much better than Mario at most things and can take some crazy shortcuts with his jump height, in both galaxies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I spent a lot of time scouring every planetoid in the game trying to find one small enough that Luigi's long jump could achieve exit velocity

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Amazon really should be closed on drunk Fridays after 10pm.

I bought Paper Mario Color Splash and its on its way to my house so I've started reading about it. I'm into Super Mario RPG, Zelda games, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Earthbound, things like that. Am I going to have a good time with Color Splash or did I waste some money.

The combat system looks like it will be a little bit trying.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Nolgthorn posted:

I bought Paper Mario Color Splash and its on its way to my house so I've started reading about it. I'm into Super Mario RPG, Zelda games, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Earthbound, things like that. Am I going to have a good time with Color Splash or did I waste some money.

I don't know about the combat but at least they praised the writing.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I've never played Paper Mario before. I'm gonna embrace the gameplay whatever it is, Nintendo is usually good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nolgthorn posted:

I've never played Paper Mario before. I'm gonna embrace the gameplay whatever it is, Nintendo is usually good.

From what I've seen, the consensus (as much as there is one) seems to be that the combat isn't terrible, but it kinda just gets in the way of enjoying the actually fun parts of the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

From what I've seen, the consensus (as much as there is one) seems to be that the combat isn't terrible, but it kinda just gets in the way of enjoying the actually fun parts of the game.

The problem with the combat in Colour splash is it needs a few too many taps just to set up a single combat turn, and just about every fight that isn't a major boss is generally over in a single turn so it just becomes an annoying waste of your time. The combat system is just stuck in a space where it either needed to be harder so you were putting effort into the fights, or just removed completely.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You can turn off the touch screen and just use the control stick (or D pad) to select, color, and throw out the cards you want to use. It makes the combat go faster.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nolgthorn posted:

It's good, don't expect it to come even close to TTYD though

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I prefer advanced mode, it lets you color the cards while selecting them instead of having an additional step.

The general meta of the combat is you want it to be over in one turn so you get bonus coins and bonus cards, but you also don't want to waste any of your cards, so you need to gauge how good your execution on tuned attacks of going to be and if the cards you select and the order in which you select them are going to get the job done in one turn.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

The Majora's Mask VC release doesn't seem to register the discount for owning the Wii version. Hope Nintendo fixes that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Japan's New 3DS VC games for today, all SFC games:

Mario's Super Picross
Kirby Super Star Stacker
Fire Emblem Thracia 776
Super Famicom Wars
Pop'n Twinbee
Live-A-Live

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The US never had a SNES version of Kirby Super Star Stacker.

And I'm still curious about how the Wars games were like before the GBA.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

What I wouldn't do for an official release of Live-A-Live stateside...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Mario's Super Picross
Kirby Super Star Stacker
Fire Emblem Thracia 776
Super Famicom Wars
Pop'n Twinbee
Live-A-Live

what the gently caress is this

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
c

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 1, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Poor little SMT-4A, sent out to die the week FFXV comes out. I hope they at least gave it a final cigarette or something :ohdear:.

(I'm sure it's a good game and all, but good lord you could not possibly pick a worse week to launch a JRPG).

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Mario's Super Picross
Kirby Super Star Stacker
Fire Emblem Thracia 776
Super Famicom Wars
Pop'n Twinbee
Live-A-Live

This is loving infuriating. Japanese or no, I would buy every one of these on the US eshop.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I don't care for Final Fantasy anyway, so SMT4:A for me.

Speaking of which, looks like the eShop version is coming out a day earlier than the physical one. Not that it means much. I have a huge JRPG backlog to deal with, anyway.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Poor little SMT-4A, sent out to die the week FFXV comes out. I hope they at least gave it a final cigarette or something :ohdear:.

(I'm sure it's a good game and all, but good lord you could not possibly pick a worse week to launch a JRPG).
Final Fantasy is bad

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I have 4 days to finish SMT IV, although tbh I'll probably order Apocalypse from Amazon so I won't have it until next week.

Although Picross 3D 2 is also out.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Picross 3D round 2 is the bees knees

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I played through the demo on Thursday, I was so disappointed when there were only 6 puzzles or whatever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I played through the demo on Thursday, I was so disappointed when there were only 6 puzzles or whatever.

Thankfully there's something close to 400 in the full game. It's a massive game.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Echo Chamber posted:

The US never had a SNES version of Kirby Super Star Stacker.

And I'm still curious about how the Wars games were like before the GBA.

what the gently caress, kirby star stacker is one of my favourite games of all time
why didn't know there was a SUPER version of it

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

The Machine posted:

This is loving infuriating. Japanese or no, I would buy every one of these on the US eshop.

Hey if you wanted to hack your 3DS and :filez: them onto the console you could. They just won't work since SFC games just seem to immediately crash and force a reboot on US consoles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

checksin posted:

what the gently caress, kirby star stacker is one of my favourite games of all time
why didn't know there was a SUPER version of it

It's way better - it has Dreamland 3-style graphics, they added a Puyo-esque ladder/story mode, etc plus it's easier to play a multiplayer game.

EDIT: oh, and if you ace the challenge mode you get to see Kirby and pals getting drunk at a bar

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 29, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I would've loved for Fire Emblem 3 or 4 to come out here on a higher priced VC release. FE5, though? (Thracia776) It is supposedly nearly impossible.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Thracia 776 is one of the best games in the series. Capture and Stamina were both cool mechanics, and the story tries something new

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's way better - it has Dreamland 3-style graphics, they added a Puyo-esque ladder/story mode, etc plus it's easier to play a multiplayer game.

EDIT: oh, and if you ace the challenge mode you get to see Kirby and pals getting drunk at a bar

No wonder it didn't get localized. (Maybe?)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Alxprit posted:

No wonder it didn't get localized. (Maybe?)
It's tea. Or milk.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've played ace attorney, that's clearly grape juice

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Sorry to ruin the fun by being a weaboo nerd but the kanji on the bottle says 'sea water'. Fish just needed some salt water to stay healthy guys, c'mon.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

SelenicMartian posted:

It's tea. Or milk.

The kanji reads "sea water."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Took me a bit to realize that's Rick's nose and not him going O_o.

Edit: wait no that's his nose down there with his whiskers

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Electric Phantasm posted:

Took me a bit to realize that's Rick's nose and not him going O_o.

Then what do you call that thing between his whiskers

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Color Printer posted:

Then what do you call that thing between his whiskers

I thought it was his mouth, but then yeah I noticed the whiskers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

Thracia 776 is one of the best games in the series. Capture and Stamina were both cool mechanics, and the story tries something new

Isn't it the one with disgustingly large and insanely boring maps

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
poo poo, are we going to get Super Mario Picross in NA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

In Training posted:

Isn't it the one with disgustingly large and insanely boring maps

Nah, that's 4: Genealogy of the Holy War. 5 takes place between 4's first and second half and has normal sized maps