Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Old James posted:

An anagram for what?

Bernard Lowe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyone else think that Wyatt may be an actual host rebellion, and Ford is moving heaven and earth because he's pretending that Wyatt is a new storyline?

Hadn't thought that but yea could be. Along with that, it seems ghost nation IS off the grid and living as free hosts in the park, or biding time until the great escape. They didn't respond to voice commands.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Anyone going to throw out some apologies for calling people stupid now? Or are you just going to claim "bad writing"?

They're gonna do the second one. It's like you've never argued with goons about storytelling before.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This show is great and I'm going to be upset waiting for season 2.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anyone who thinks William = MiB is stupid or poorly done is even more socially inept than William was at the beginning of that arc.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
This was an excellent episode of a so-far excellent show.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
When you respond, to what you wish to see, please keep in mind there are five seasons, one assured, to come.

What is it you, the audience, would wish to experience?

We want you all to "discover" something with your trip through this show.

Something real. Something no one else has noticed before. :)

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

Hadn't thought that but yea could be. Along with that, it seems ghost nation IS off the grid and living as free hosts in the park, or biding time until the great escape. They didn't respond to voice commands.

The Ghost Nation couldn't have faked Elsie's signal and jammed communications. It was a trap by Ford.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyone else think that Wyatt may be an actual host rebellion, and Ford is moving heaven and earth because he's pretending that Wyatt is a new storyline?

Yeah that's what I'm feeling

Ford is clearly a misanthrope and this is him giving the finger to humanity

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LostRook posted:

The Ghost Nation couldn't have faked Elsie's signal and jammed communications. It was a trap by Ford.

Good,

Good.

:)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

El Jeffe posted:

:agreed: except my issue is the "misleading" editing. That wasn't just misleading, that was straight up deceptive. The show basically outright showed us William being in the present then went "haha jk, misled you!"
I guess its kind of gimmicky (and I dont know how sustain bile it is into another season or beyond), but it became pretty apparent and as such not deceptive. I enjoyed it as a story telling device.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

El Jeffe posted:

:agreed: except my issue is the "misleading" editing. That wasn't just misleading, that was straight up deceptive. The show basically outright showed us William being in the present then went "haha jk, misled you!"

The better question is, "did you enjoy it?"

You're still watching. :)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Anyone who thinks William = MiB is stupid or poorly done is even more socially inept than William was at the beginning of that arc.

Someone said a couple weeks ago, after the Bernard = host reveal, that Westworld is a show that telegraphs its reveals pretty clearly, then executes them very well. So far that's very true and I gotta say I like it a lot better than out-of-left-field twists.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yesss finally. We've got the finale where nobody knows wtf is going to happen.

I'd like to thank the one-timeliners for their wonderful powers of denial.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

LostRook posted:

Um, those were two different thoughts. Gost NAtion could be soverign hosts without a connection the elsie or whatever narrative.

It's real irrating when people talk poo poo about hyptoehsis on a show because, as show after show has demonstrated, its ok to do that because they sometimes end up being right. deriding someone as retarded just because they posit something is so unneeded and also stupid as gently caress.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

LostRook posted:

Again I think it's all part of his plan. He can have Ashley and Elsie spend time together as hostages and see if Elsie holds up under scrutiny.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ok, now time to watch insecure.

I like the reveal that MIB is taking up Arnolds flag and trying to preserve Anrold's code, assets and vision

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

LostRook posted:

what if elsie escaped bernard, and has been slowly re-tasking hosts until she was ready to bring stubbs in on it by sending a signal she knew he would investigate?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

El Jeffe posted:

I think part of what was misleading was that we were seeing two things at once: Dolores's journey with William and Logan, and her in the present reliving those memories. Remember that hosts relive their memories rather than having hazy recollections like humans do. She's lost in those memories and retracing her steps back to Escalante, and that was intercut with her journey with William and Logan. Maybe that was misleading in a bad way, but I think there were enough hints, like her occasionally seeing something, then blinking and it's gone and William appears, or vice versa. Like when she sees the little host girl drawing the Maze in the sand, then looking up and seeing William, then back down and the Maze drawing isn't there. It's been set up for a while.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Sypher posted:

Season Finale: Maeve and Felix repair Bernard.. they kill Ford, create a host version of him, and commandeer the park for season 2.

How? I honestly felt that William = MIB from the very first time he was on screen. It was almost cliche. At no other point did I come across a moment which seemed to deceptively tell me otherwise.

Stubbs sends a bot to get back Dolores, and lo and behold the guy shows up and shares screentime with William. And several times Dolores, while with William, flashes back to the scenes we now know to be the present.

Yes, it is explained by misleading editing. I just think it's a bit much tbh.

VendaGoat posted:

The better question is, "did you enjoy it?"

You're still watching. :)

Oh yeah I still love the show despite it.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Well holy loving poo poo ford is a straight monster

I thought this too at first, but then I remembered that Bernarnold did tell what's her name to pull the trigger. I mean, yeah Ford's deep into a sick game but in that one instance it was a no-brained how that had to end.

Also, I stand corrected under God and Goons. There are at least two timeline, and I only begrudgingly accept the past one because of the photo. Logan DEFINITELY gonna die a bad death next week.

What a good show!

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, we clearly don't understand all the things at play yet, but that's my estimation. I also think MiB being either Logan or Will would both be wrong, although I'm open to a multiple-timelines theory as long as it doesn't include them being the MiB. There's definitely unreliable narrator stuff going on more and more with the hosts' memories. We as the audience see things how they perceive them, not how reality actually is at the time.

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody posted this before several pages ago (maybe you?) and I have no idea what you guys are on about :tinfoil: this is pure 100% rampant speculation with nothing to support it at all.

This thread becomes an echo chamber sometimes and I wonder if it doesn't effect how some of you think about Westworld.

Everybody is posting like Arnold = Bernard is 100% confirmed and there's basically nothing supporting that either except that it would be cute or something.

Why can't Arnold just be a host and nothing more? An assistant that Ford created to take the fall for him and spy on his behalf.

Zaphod42 posted:

That doesn't follow. Bernard isn't a door, and that wasn't Arnold's workshop; it was Ford's. There's nothing saying that something has to be Bernard for Bernard to block it out of his vision. Its just *something* he's programmed not to recognize. That could be anything.

But Bernard being a host means he doesn't age so there's no conflict with the two timelines anyways. Its a non-issue. There's no reason for him to be Arnold at all. You guys are just seeing what you want to.

How is it weird to focus so much on Arnold? No loving poo poo Arnold is important. Are you paying attention to the show? The relationship between Ford and Arnold and their philosophies on AI is THE LYNCHPIN of this whole show. He doesn't need to be alive as a robot for that to make sense. Not at all.

Have you really never seen a movie or show with a dead character being part of past events? Its a big part of in media res storylines. We have to figure out HOW he died. That's a puzzle. He built something and even though he's dead, his machinery is still working towards some hidden goal. That's huge. Doesn't need him to be alive. He's the "spirit" of the park, even if he's not a ghost.

haha this dude was wrong as gently caress

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KoRMaK posted:

Um, those were two different thoughts. Gost NAtion could be soverign hosts without a connection the elsie or whatever narrative.

It's real irrating when people talk poo poo about hyptoehsis on a show because, as show after show has demonstrated, its ok to do that because they sometimes end up being right. deriding someone as retarded just because they posit something is so unneeded and also stupid as gently caress.

People mostly get called out for poor reasoning or weird conclusions, nit for the actual theories

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I actually think all the faults of editing in the earlier episodes are explained once we realize that what we have been watching the whole season is Delores in the present going on this voyage to the church alone, remembering along the way her adventures with William 30 years ago (which is used by the writers as a way to deliver the rest of Williams story). Along the way she's also remembered all her Arnold conversations. She's there now, in the present dug up town and she's not stabbed because that was a memory. Presumably she's made this trip a few times and died (shot outside her house, shot with arrows in the river), but due to her episode 1 awakening by MiB she finally had the cojones and mental clarity to make it.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

sudo rm -rf posted:

Could we not do this?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ghost nation didn't respond to voice commands, that parts at least a fact. How could it play into a narrative?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

sudo rm -rf posted:

Now go find all the quotes of people calling two timeline adherents idiots, so we can feel smug about it

(Please don't actually do this)

Show good

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Dolores is Spanish and roughly translated means pains. I'm so used to understanding that as a name that I never thought about it.

EDIT: Did MiBilly plant that picture of his wife or does he lose it later on?

Waverhouse fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 28, 2016

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

Ghost nation didn't respond to voice commands, that parts at least a fact. How could it play into a narrative?

Ford's narrative is "KILL ALL HUMANS"

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

El Jeffe posted:

Oh yeah I still love the show despite it.

:)

Then I hope you continue to watch and enjoy the show. I also hope you are this willing to give your feedback, so that we may use it to boost your enjoyment. So that you may ultimately and thoroughly enjoy your experience and recommend it to other like minded, or opposed views, as you are willing to do so.

We not only want you to enjoy your experience but we wish you to recommend your experience to other people, whatever their preconceived notions are. We enjoy the challenge of catering to not only our fans, but to our opposition as well.

Thank you and I hope your continue to experience our Delos narratives. :)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

I actually think all the faults of editing in the earlier episodes are explained once we realize that what we have been watching the whole season is Delores in the present going on this voyage t
Yea, or more so, that this show will have continuity integrity once re-watched. They weren't faults in editing, they were ignorance in understanding.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

They're either acting on Ford's orders or there are more robots on the sentient train than we thought.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Gordon Shumway posted:

They're either acting on Ford's orders or there are more robots on the sentient train than we thought.

Yea I'm thinking that there are awaken sovereign bots living in the park under the radar, and they might be Ghost Nation. It's not the only kind of awaken bot in the show, but it's at least a subset of them. Any narrative that causes you to encounter them is just using a glitch as part of the game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The thing that still has me guessing is the identity of Wyatt. Wyatt's minions seem woke as gently caress, to the point where the Taloolah remembers Teddy shooting her in Escalante. Yet our two possible candidates for robot revolucionarios are Dolores and Maeve, whose wherabaouts are accounted for in the present.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I really loved the Dolores killed Arnold reveal.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The Dave posted:

I really loved the Dolores killed Arnold reveal.

That highlights the line when Ford replies to her question of if they are very old friends with "no, i wouldnt say that at all" in a very specific context and meaning. It was nice.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arglebargle III posted:

The thing that still has me guessing is the identity of Wyatt. Wyatt's minions seem woke as gently caress, to the point where the Taloolah remembers Teddy shooting her in Escalante. Yet our two possible candidates for robot revolucionarios are Dolores and Maeve, whose wherabaouts are accounted for in the present.

Teddy is Wyatt

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh of course, Dolories is Wyatt. Taloolah says Wyatt isn't back yet and he can find Wyatt in Escalante. Then he goes there and Dolores is there. And of course she's the one who back-doored Teddy into shooting everybody and shot Arnold etc.

But she hasn't even shown up for her own narrative that Ford has prepared for her? Weird?!

The main thing is, I still really don't know what game Ford is playing with the Wyatt storyline. It doesn't seem to be a reaction to anything Dolores or Maeve have done.

Why would woke hosts be waiting for Dolores to show up, when presumably she'd be the one who freed them?

Unless Ford wasn't kidding when he said she's done this before, and it's gotten bad at times.

Maybe this sentient host thing is a more serious problem than anyone guessed, but they're still glitchy as poo poo with Bernard and Ford interfering with them constantly. Their leaders could disappear back into their loops and eventually break out and reacquire their memories.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 28, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

Yea, or more so, that this show will have continuity integrity once re-watched. They weren't faults in editing, they were ignorance in understanding.

I don't think the people looking for some grand editing solution are going to get what they want. The "all past as Dolores's memories" thing is not going to work as the Arnold interviews don't fit in, there's scenes without Dolores, etc. The timelines don't have strict continuity for that either, as we saw present dolores enter escalante last week, and then this week she was in the woods, and then later back at the church. Episodes 2-5 are all kinds of crazy when it comes to timeframes, especially Dolores's "current" story.

Maybe next week they'll somehow put everything together, but it seems like the show edits from a 'broken memory' perspective of its own, not adhering to any character's specific perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Oh! Oh! I was watching as closely as I could when Ford first walked to the room in the sub-basement where he met Bernarnold. Guess who I *didn't* see? Abernathy. I wonder if Sizemore got him out. Ford seems to be way too smart to allow that.

I can't wait for next week.

• Locked thread