Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

isn't it da sound of da police?

You've made my day :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

moist turtleneck posted:

I just want the last people to finish dying to Mesothelioma so we can get so new commercials in between episodes of Judge Judy

Fun little story is how these asbestos companies realized they were in deep poo poo and ended up being bought by Haliburton, who recouped the losses from war profiteering.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chlamyllionaire posted:

Fun little story is how these asbestos companies realized they were in deep poo poo and ended up being bought by Haliburton, who recouped the losses from war profiteering.

thats not fun at all you lier

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chlamyllionaire posted:

They're literally a captain planet villain corporation.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

oohhboy posted:

I don't think is it necessary for the individuals to carry a meter although that would have it's own set of problems. You need a box somewhere that knows it's altitude so it can match it's radiation measurements with that flight.

It will require you to design something that will pass the FAA since it would be considered installed equipment that is not on an experimental aircraft and it will take years to get approval(See how long it takes to get entertainment equipment on planes). Then you have to convince companies to carry the thing using their maintenance time to do it in a spot that would be useful to you. There is the associated fuel costs the companies would like to charge you for. You also have to get the data back some how. Not forgetting the legal and liability issues that would come from the data should it be found that pilots do have an increase risk from their job.

The easy way would be to ask pilots for their health data and match it against their flight logs.

Don't pilots already have worse health outcomes thanks to having a sedentary, high-stress job with potentially very long shifts back to back?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"Not only will this kill you, they'll never even find the body."

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yes indeed.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

That's the sound of the beast!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
does working at CVS count for OSHA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWeks0H0epI

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Skellybones posted:

Don't pilots already have worse health outcomes thanks to having a sedentary, high-stress job with potentially very long shifts back to back?

Also, controllers and pilots have an incentive to not seek diagnosis or treatment, because it can lead directly to loss of your medical certificate and by extension, your livelihood. :v:

Also, getting flight crews to wear/carry dosimeters is an airline contract negotiators nightmare scenario. ALPA would kick their loving asses during the next negotiation.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skellybones posted:

It is certainly not a healthy environment to be working in. Having flown myself it can be very relaxing, but chronic stress comes from your personal relationships with the crew who you will be spending alot of time with especially your first officer/captain and your employer breathing down your neck. Acute stress will whenever things don't go to plan, but you force yourself into the check-list in order control that. It is the after action report that is even more stressful as everyone will be going over every inch of your flight history when an incident gets filed.

There are legal checks to contain lengths of shifts etc, but that resulted in computer optimised rosters that no human would ever consider to be safe, sane or healthy but remain legal because they fill the X hour requirements.

The dumb thing is that personal costs is probably the lowest big ticket cost item of running an airline, fuel in a single trip is worth more than the crew's salary. Then there is depreciation, maintenance, legal requirements, training etc.

If you want some hosed up plane stories and stress, I suggest reading Flying Upside Down by Captain Duke Nukem. He flew the not so friendly China skies.

MrYenko posted:

Also, controllers and pilots have an incentive to not seek diagnosis or treatment, because it can lead directly to loss of your medical certificate and by extension, your livelihood. :v:

Also, getting flight crews to wear/carry dosimeters is an airline contract negotiators nightmare scenario. ALPA would kick their loving asses during the next negotiation.

This. I did have an incident myself that should have been reported from a near miss when I was in training, but I kept quiet about it, so did the controller and the pilot in the other plane assuming the passenger didn't notice anything. If someone spoke up the air police would have grilled my rear end.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
My sister is a flight-attendant. I'll ask her how many rads she eats.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Darkman Fanpage posted:

My sister is a flight-attendant. I'll ask her how many rads she eats.

Is that a common nickname for pilot dong? I'm not hip to all this aviation lingo.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

Is that a common nickname for pilot dong? I'm not hip to all this aviation lingo.

:chloe: A pilot tried to force himself on her one time, bro. gently caress off.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Darkman Fanpage posted:

:chloe: A pilot tried to force himself on her one time, bro. gently caress off.

loving yikes. If that's true, I'm so sorry and also glad I don't work in aviation.

Wow, I should really learn to check rap sheets before I assume people are telling the truth. The more fool I.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 28, 2016

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
Reposting the beef weldington warning symbol...

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

loving yikes. If that's true, I'm so sorry and also glad I don't work in aviation.

Wow, I should really learn to check rap sheets before I assume people are telling the truth. The more fool I.

the gently caress does my rap sheet have to do with a drunk airline pilot trying to rape my sister rear end in a top hat?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
My wife and I struck up a conversation with a retired US airforce and FedEx pilot when we were on vacation a few months ago. He told us that the worst pilots in the world were South Koreans because in his opinion Asians didn't have the confidence to make the correct decisions when under pressure like Caucasians did (he ended up being a crazy Trump supporter, surprise!), but also didn't have the rigid training that the Japanese had to overcome such issues. He pointed to Asiana flight 214 as an example ("how the hell do you crash on the straightest runway on the west coast of North America?") and said the rest of the industry called Korean pilots "The Gooks of Hazard".

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i like the move to apologize and then change your mind based on a bunch of short probations

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Dillbag posted:

My wife and I struck up a conversation with a retired US airforce and FedEx pilot when we were on vacation a few months ago. He told us that the worst pilots in the world were South Koreans because in his opinion Asians didn't have the confidence to make the correct decisions when under pressure like Caucasians did (he ended up being a crazy Trump supporter, surprise!), but also didn't have the rigid training that the Japanese had to overcome such issues. He pointed to Asiana flight 214 as an example ("how the hell do you crash on the straightest runway on the west coast of North America?") and said the rest of the industry called Korean pilots "The Gooks of Hazard".

My sister was on that flight rear end in a top hat.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I was on that flgith and got run over a firetruck, you swine

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Turn left thread!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
*WHOOP WHOOP* PULL UP *WHOOP WHOOP*

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Retard...

Retard...

Retard...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thwomp posted:

*WHOOP WHOOP* PULL UP *WHOOP WHOOP*

This could have been avoided if we had an automatic high volume "Whoa" :smith:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Darkman Fanpage posted:

the gently caress does my rap sheet have to do with a drunk airline pilot trying to rape my sister rear end in a top hat?

Can I get your sisters number?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Dillbag posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_incidents_and_accidents

quote:

13 June 1991 – (Boeing 727) from Jeju to Daegu, the aircraft performed an unexpected gear-up landing at Daegu. The crew failed to read out the landing procedure checklist and therefore didn't select the gear down option. Subsequent investigation revealed that the pilot instructed the co-pilot to pull the fuse from the warning system because the repeated warnings that the landing gear was not deployed were, "irritating and distracting," him as he attempted to land. With the warning horn disabled, the Korean pilot brought the plane in and slid down the length of the runway on the central structural rib in the belly of the aircraft.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
From Reddit, probably a decently effective tactic:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wolrah posted:

From Reddit, probably a decently effective tactic:

Joe Arpaio’s OSHA looking good.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Dillbag posted:

Korean pilots

While the racist overtones are completely unnecessary, being culturally conditioned to defer to perceived superiors in all instances instead of speaking up and correcting issues isn't the greatest when it's things like "put down the landing gear" etc.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Darkman Fanpage posted:

the gently caress does my rap sheet have to do with a drunk airline pilot trying to rape my sister's rear end in a top hat?

ftfy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sponge Baathist posted:

LITERALLY ftfy

FTFY

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me

Praise the sun

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Platystemon posted:

Haha, my first thought was, OSHA Maricopa county style.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nuevo posted:

While the racist overtones are completely unnecessary, being culturally conditioned to defer to perceived superiors in all instances instead of speaking up and correcting issues isn't the greatest when it's things like "put down the landing gear" etc.

I recall from 'Mayday Air Disaster Death Crash Investigation' that S.Korea had a serious problem and multiple crashes because of this cultural deferment to the senior staff, even when they were doing something mind-blowingly stupid.

The FAA banned them from operating in the US unless they sorted their act out: which they did by hiring a bunch of foreign consultants to retrain the flight crew to work as a team.

EDIT:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Cargo_Flight_8509

quote:

It was dark when the plane took off from London Stansted Airport, with the captain flying.[5] When the captain tried to bank the plane to turn left, his ADI showed it not banking and the comparator alarm sounded repeatedly.[5] The first officer, whose instrument would have shown the true angle of bank, said nothing, although the flight engineer called out "bank". [1] The captain made no response and continued banking farther and farther left. At 18:38, 55 seconds after take-off, Flight 8509's wing dragged along the ground, then the aircraft plunged into the ground at a speed between 250 and 300 knots, in a 40° pitch down and 90° left bank attitude.[1] The aircraft exploded on impact.[5]

After the investigation, Air Accidents Investigation Branch of the United Kingdom issued recommendations to Korean Air to revise its training program and company culture, to promote a more free atmosphere between the captain and the first officer.[5] Korean Air has not had a single fatal crash since this accident in 1999.

Fuckwit captain literally flew the plane into the ground while his junior crew let him, because he was much more senior.

spog fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 28, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Should've gone top lane instead of farming middle. N00b.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Platystemon posted:

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Deference to incompetence kills no matter where it happens.

http://sbfpd.org/uploads/3/0/9/6/3096011/darker_shades_of_blue.pdf