Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
just a self congratulatory pat on the back for all of us who called this stuff weeks back but also were pleasantly surprised how they went about revealing it. 10/10 good show. but also we are super smart special eyes tv watchers so props to us also ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

"welp, I know where this will go, bye"

Then why haven't you?

No disrespect intended, it's just my honest question to your response.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

VendaGoat posted:

Go gently caress yourself and let them decide for themselves.

You try too hard.

This was an amazing episode tho. Seeing Bernard/Arnold just utterly break. Beautiful.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

sudo rm -rf posted:

right, which is why i called his flashback unreliable. and that this begs the question

who is wyatt?

He's probably no one. Teddy's backstory was rewritten, and he's been confusing his new, fictional backstory with his real memories of the original events. The other hosts who know about Wyatt appear to be a group of crazy cultists waiting around for their leader to return to them.

Perhaps "Wyatt" is Ford's attempt at supplanting Arnold's inner monologue?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

el oso posted:

Screencaps of the picture from Reddit:

I think you could go either way on a missing person in the photo. She's just slightly off center but it doesn't make sense (right now) that William would be a host or that Abernathy would not be able to see a missing person, so pretty likely the photo is real as shown.

It's still weird that Logan would be carrying that around in the park. :colbert:

All things considered that picture held up pretty well for 30 years or so.

I also think Wyatt is Dolores, and the shot we saw of the sheriff getting executed by Wyatt was indeed Dolores executing Arnold.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

You try too hard.

This was an amazing episode tho. Seeing Bernard/Arnold just utterly break. Beautiful.

You challenge and then you walk away. C'est la vie. It is what it is.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

Then why haven't you?

No disrespect intended, it's just my honest question to your response.

lol, seriously guy?

Its fun to post about lots of things, even stuff you don't like or are super into. It's cool and interesting to see other peoples opinions.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Man in Black is internet fandom.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lol, seriously guy?

Its fun to post about lots of things, even stuff you don't like or are super into. It's cool and interesting to see other peoples opinions.

So you're not willing to stop posting about what you believe and in fact Know the direction the show is going to go because, "Its fun to post about lots of things, even stuff you don't like or are super into. It's cool and interesting to see other peoples opinions."?

Cool, yo.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the only theory that anybody came up with that i thought was reaching too hard was when somebody, over a month ago, decided that "bernard lowe" was an anagram for "arnold weber" even though we had no idea what arnold's last name was at the time and welp here we are

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I think that Bernard has also been controlled by Arnold. He chokes Elsie then gets her to a place where someone (Arnold?) can talk to her. She is brought in on the secret that we don't know yet about Arnold or whatever. She trusts Stubbs and knows how to program the Ghost Nation (or whoever that was) to capture him. She sends out the signal knowing he will come. Trap sprung, now he will be let in on the secret.

Very much agreed

This was a hell of an episode

Looks like Dolores 1.0 is the inspiration for Wyatt. Right now the thing I'm most curious about is what are fords plans for the Wyatt narrative?

Also, did Maeve find (and disable) ford's backdoor programming that he used to control Bernard? My guess is yes

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Codependent Poster posted:

:alexa:

I do feel like this show needs to have a heroic character soon. It's missing someone who you wouldn't feel bad about "winning" or what have you. That's why I want my bro Stubbs to be all right.

Root for Teddy. I felt pretty good that he survived for three whole episodes this time!

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

Why? Are you willing to express your distaste for this? Please do, because it can only allow us to make your experience better.

Please stop with your awful fanfic posts

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maeve is the worst character ever. We need more Logan. Dr Ford is beyond crazy at this point.

Also Talulah Riley is a very beatiful woman.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 28, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

DoctorGonzo posted:

Maeve is the worst character ever. We need more Logan.

Logan's so loving boring.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
If Logan doesn't die, my theory is he tells his sister all sorts of stories about William in the park and that's what drives her to eventual suicide. Logan would play up Billy's love for Dolores, murderous rampage and whatever else we see.

It would make Logan's "What happens here, stays here." into quite the comment.

I imagine we might get a post-wife-death MIB scene of him dropping the picture on his first visit to the park after she dies, so about a year before the present.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Wax Lion posted:

Please stop with your awful fanfic posts

Oh look another person whom has never expressed any such disagreement before is now willing to do such for any sort of benefit to themselves.

Go gently caress Yourself.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Jesus Christ. What a loving episode.

They're sentient. All of them have the ability for true sentience and Ford keeps them there imprisoned.

That's horrifying they're all truly sentient and basically human + , but they just get lobotomized if they obtain enlightenment.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 28, 2016

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

Oh look another person whom has never expressed any such disagreement before is now willing to do such for any sort of benefit to themselves.

Get back on your meds.

This is pretty crazy

https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/57rpr9/observations_and_a_few_questions_im_mulling_over/

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

You've posted three times in this thread, the last one being a month ago.

You've nothing to speak of in four episodes.

Again, Go gently caress Yourself.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

VendaGoat posted:

You've posted three times in this thread, the last one being a month ago.

You've nothing to speak of in four episodes.

Again, Go gently caress Yourself.

Weren't you the one suggesting they edited and re-shot footage based on internet theories?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kazy posted:

Weren't you the one suggesting they edited and re-shot footage based on internet theories?

He gets really high/drunk when he watches, he's suggested a lot of things.

That was a good episode, was kind of expecting Nolan & Co to not reveal the timeframe stuff until the last episode as the final surprise.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Can we talk about how great that scene with young Anthony Hopkins in the past was because that was awesome. Or are people still measuring dicks and being assholes about a TV show.

This show is awesome. I still wasn't sure even last week if there was 2 timelines ,but the reveal this week was great. Also, kind of guessed Bernard was Arnold, but that reveal was great as well.

drat all of those scenes with Bernard and Dolores where he's speaking to her is in his memory. That's pretty cool.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I just started watching the episode

Elsie :( bae

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

What do you guys think about Ford's point about the outside world not accepting Host sentience? I know his logic tends to be extremely self-serving, but it has a ring of truth to it.

On the other hand MiB is a powerful force in society and is actively seeking host sentience.

I've been suspicious of Robert Ford's motivations from very early. He's quite willing to use cynicism and nihilism to protect himself, and he doesn't let the truth get in the way of his selfishness.

Homo sapiens may have killed, murdered, or even eaten some neanderthals and other archaic humans, but we also successfully interbred with each other to the point where modern humans now have neanderthal and homo sapient ancestors.

How will the outside world treat the sentient hosts? It depends on who meets them and how people are introduced to their new kin. Some people do not recognize the share of the divine even from within their own species, but this is not all people, or even most people. It will be a test of wisdom, made more difficult by the obstructions of Robert Ford.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The fact that Ford is something of a fraud and has to keep re-using the old Arnold-made Hosts (including building himself a new Arnold to keep the place going) clears up a lot of the things I thought were weak in the show. It makes some of the gaps in security and overall lack of control make much more sense.

Poor Bernard though, it was really satisfying to see him grab hold of the situation and get some much needed closure. I hope that isn't the last we see of him. (its unclear to me how much a gunshot in the head is damaging to Hosts, though I suppose a lobotomy gets the job done)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Kazy posted:

You're last reply was nov 26th, but you bring up an interesting point.

First, we have already established that HBO has and is willing to edit things as this series goes on, proof being the logo. My own being the speech that begins with "I would need a shovel.." from the MiB to ford. Compare the background sounds. Regardless, we have established a baseline of HBO willingly deceiving us.

We've proven this hypothesis.

Which now means yours is the one in question. Yours is the one that we should have further scrutiny for. Yours is the one with the burden of proof.

So, you and your friends, are you willing to bear the burden of proof?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

duz posted:

He gets really high/drunk when he watches, he's suggested a lot of things.

Don't think because you are the creator of a app that allows me to mark users of this site for there posting that you are above question.

I'll leave it at that.

BTW, I love the SA last read ap.

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

VendaGoat posted:

You're last reply was nov 26th, but you bring up an interesting point.

First, we have already established that HBO has and is willing to edit things as this series goes on, proof being the logo. My own being the speech that begins with "I would need a shovel.." from the MiB to ford. Compare the background sounds. Regardless, we have established a baseline of HBO willingly deceiving us.

We've proven this hypothesis.

Which now means yours is the one in question. Yours is the one that we should have further scrutiny for. Yours is the one with the burden of proof.

So, you and your friends, are you willing to bear the burden of proof?

stop posting please.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

vosk posted:

stop posting please.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What is Ford's motives in all of this though is my question. Why does he go out of his way to protect the park. My guess is that Arnold figured a way to transfer consciousness that Ford can't figure out and this has all been Ford's gamble and drive to gain well immortality in some form.

There has to be something more to it other than " Ford likes to play God".

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

Go gently caress Maeve instead, she is :cool:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so um, in Bernard's memory Theresa freezes up like a host. Was she a host?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

No, Bernard gained control of his memories. He's inside his code and his memories. Basically kind of like lucid dreaming.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Nah it was a memory he could relive, just like his kid who he froze wasn't even a host he was just a false memory

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

MarksMan posted:

Go gently caress Maeve instead, she is :cool:

Christ I think she would be one of the greatest fucks of my life. So sure.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The editing could've been less deceptive. :colbert:

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I think that was just him acting within a memory like when he brought his kid back to life.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So what do people think Ford's actual motivation for all of this has been. Is it just to protect the park? Or is to hide that they've created artificial consciousness and the hosts can become aware?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Hollismason posted:

What is Ford's motives in all of this though is my question. Why does he go out of his way to protect the park. My guess is that Arnold figured a way to transfer consciousness that Ford can't figure out and this has all been Ford's gamble and drive to gain well immortality in some form.

There has to be something more to it other than " Ford likes to play God".

It's more, "Ford really loving hates humans." But yeah, I hope it goes slightly deeper than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's more, "Ford really loving hates humans." But yeah, I hope it goes slightly deeper than that.

Actually even more terrifying is that Ford believes human beings are no different that the hosts and this has driven him insane because he wants to break free of his own "programming".

Ford's a straight up pessimist then and he has proof.

• Locked thread