Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
NMS Next is imminent! Ignore the historical writeup below and join the goon discord: https://discord.gg/QUjd3zK . Colonize the unknown, build an empire, become a literal space frog.

(Thread soundtrack)

THE STORY SO FAR

In the beginning was the dream. It was dreamt by a man named Sean Murray and his studio Hello Games, and it was the dream of an entire explorable galaxy with countless unique procedurally generated worlds to discover. Or, according to some, it was the dream of throwing together a bunch of sci-fi imagery and ripping off credulous space nerds with empty promises. Either way, No Man's Sky was revealed in 2014 and seized the imagination of millions. For the next two years, hype and excitement continued to flow. Preorders spiked, and gaming's future in space seemed assured.

Cracks began to appear in the facade. The information released about the game was mostly generalities, concrete promises were strangely rare. The question of what the player actually spent their time doing was never directly answered in previews. A high-profile appearance on the Late Show faded into the past as development continued to percolate. Big-ticket features like multiplayer, squadrons, and motherships floated in limbo, neither a sure bet nor explicitly ruled out, leaving waiting players to interpret poorly worded and scattershot statements and mingle their own hopes and ideas with the monumental hype.

On release day, the pessimists claimed decisive victory. Virtually none of the major features in whose anticipation the community had been indulged were present. Nevertheless, players played it, and quickly discovered that not only had it failed to expand the exploration genre, it had barely even earned its membership. Even the systems that were fully formed in the game were lacking. The procedural generator was repetitive and limited. The navigation, piloting, and combat systems were clumsy and awkward. The survival upkeep tasks were somehow simultaneously simple and tedious. The plot and setting were barely present, as small dollops of cliches dotted randomly across planets. The game's only structure, an incentive to journey to the center of the galaxy, became impossibly onerous thanks to some ill-thought-out balance changes. On top of all that, it ran poorly and crashed frequently, even on the PS4. Despite this, some still claimed to enjoy the game and play it extensively and without disappointment, but they were a small minority.

The reality of No Man's Sky was so far from the ideal that both Sony and Valve became willing to refund purchases to an unprecedented degree. Hello Games released a frantic flurry of patches, which (mostly) fixed the crashing but did little for the structural issues. Endless drama carpetbombing consumed the community, pitting Cassandraesque early purchasers against starry-eyed diehards against jaded skeptics against self-proclaimed insiders defending the tribulations of indie game development. The British Advertising Standards Authority was coaxed into launching an investigation into the gulf between the promotional videos still featured on Steam and the final state of the game.

After releasing seven patches, Hello Games issued one last promise- they were working on a major, transformative update to the game. This update would add a system for constructing bases on planets, overhaul many game systems, and lay the foundations for the future content. It would not solve every problem, but it would represent the first step on the path towards a more fully flowered concept and the commitment of the developers to the continued support and fleshing out of the No Man's Sky experience.

Then they went silent. No one knew whether to believe that the mythical patch was even still under development, or if Hello Games would collapse under the weight of lost reputation and refunded revenue. The organized community was thrown into chaos. The game's subreddit's madness became news in its own right, necessitating a temporary shutdown. The NMS thread on this very forum was no better, degrading into bickering and insults until the entire topic was banned.

And thus, it seemed, the long and sad lesson of No Man's Sky came to an end.

THREE MONTHS LATER

The prodigal son returns. The patch is real, and it's already live. The list of changes is enormous and detailed, touching every aspect of the game and introducing a host of new features. Bases can be constructed on planets, with a 3D first-person construction system reminiscent of Fallout 4, and massive space freighters can be purchased and outfitted. Aliens may be recruited to either type of facility, generating resources and running the place in your absence. New craftable equipment lets the player explore a larger and deeper resource and tech tree. The clunky interface has been expanded with quick-access menus, better navigational aids, and more useful messages. A list of technical features, including motion blur and better AA, have been implemented.

Will any of this make the game better? I have no idea. But there's a good number of new toys here, and reason enough to revisit it if you still have it lying around or if you can snag it for the low prices it commands nowadays. Why not give Hello Games a second chance? (Don't answer that.)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This game is rear end!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alain Post posted:

This game is rear end!
Your posting is now a game?

edit: an amazing historical writeup, to be sure, Haveblue

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm looking forward to see if this game improves enough to be buyable. I want to play a space game again, but the current crop just aren't doing it for me at the moment (Elite came closest but its inch deep gameplay is, shall we say, familiar :v:).

Holding out hope this update is the start of something good!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

haveblue posted:

Big-ticket features like multiplayer floated in limbo, neither a sure bet nor explicitly ruled out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i played the game. never again

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I want to play a space game again, but the current crop just aren't doing it for me at the moment

Did you play House of the Rising Sun? I enjoyed it a lot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh yeah, I did! It was great, but I'm pretty much done with it at this point.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Finally they fixed the game so I could actually beat it. For whatever reason the ending sequence crashed the game back to desktop before patch, so there's that. I tried to play more, but almost fell asleep. Think I'll go play more Terraria that I just purchased a few days ago.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Hmm... nah. Going to play Thermidor instead.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
did it change the proc gen to be not lovely because that was pretty much problem #1

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Some initial impressions from a save I loaded...

• There's a slight performance improvement. Looks like they fixed some of the undesirable terrain pop-in behavior from last patch.
  • You can actually scan planets from space and see, at a glance, what the primary blue, green, and purple resources are for the planet.
  • Base-building is easily started by finding a starter spot on a planet somewhere, maybe from scanning.
  • I wonder if you can just start a base anywhere or need to find a ready spot.
  • The base-building reminds me of Subnautica except you build from the inside, which is a bit awkward. Simplistic structures for now, maybe more as the base grows?
  • Glass is a resource now, for -- you guessed it -- glass corridors.
  • Thamium-9 asteroids aren't omnipresent. They're still all over the empty space, but in pockets. I jumped out of the atmosphere and panicked a little as I realized I saw no asteroids around me. That's good! I found them later.
  • Some HUD elements, and various sound effects, have been changed. Space battles felt a tiny bit different, but no difference in how they play out.
  • Space stations have NPCs recruitable for your base. They speak your language; the writing's a bit meh.
  • Universe has been regenerated because proc gen is different, but haven't been around enough.

It's definitely not worse, but how much better remains to be seen.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why would anyone believe these lies about the same game for a second time

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Still No Man's Buy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 28, 2016

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Survival mode is actually kinda rough! It looks like they've boosted damaging effects quite a bit; I started a new save, flew up in the starter jetpack, and knocked all my shields out and one health point by that fall alone. And then died to non-extreme cold weather getting to the ship.

There isn't as even a distribution of plants now, so I couldn't find Zinc in time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This poo poo still sucks and lol if anyone thinks a base building patch is gonna change that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So I bought the game at launch with the pre order bonus. When I first played it I pretty much immediately took my pre order ship. After which I never got the quest for anti matter. So I saw the patch and it seemed interesting. So I made a new game and foolishly accepted my pre order bonus again thinking they had fixed that. So now I am stuck at the same place. I can't get antimatter or the recipe. Does anyone have any suggestions here?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Valt posted:

So I bought the game at launch with the pre order bonus. When I first played it I pretty much immediately took my pre order ship. After which I never got the quest for anti matter. So I saw the patch and it seemed interesting. So I made a new game and foolishly accepted my pre order bonus again thinking they had fixed that. So now I am stuck at the same place. I can't get antimatter or the recipe. Does anyone have any suggestions here?

Click the right mouse button, then select "Delete Local Content."

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

raditts posted:

Click the right mouse button, then select "Delete Local Content."

Haha I get it woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Valt posted:

I also thought this had been fixed, it's actually listed as a fix in the 1.07 patch notes. So either they re-broke it or there's a way to get your save back on track.

Or start a third save and don't take the ship? :shrug:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I bought this game for 20 dollars brand new on black friday. Still havent opened it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes No Man's Sky, though certainly I wish it were a better game. I'm glad this update gives me an excuse to get back into it.

Briefly started a new game on Survival, and it's actually pretty drat hard. My time is consumed with scrounging together the resources to keep my life support charged up. I bet this is the hardest part, though. Once I get off-planet and can move more freely, as well as get some suit upgrades I imagine the difficulty will level off a bit.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Mountaineer posted:

I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes No Man's Sky, though certainly I wish it were a better game. I'm glad this update gives me an excuse to get back into it.

Briefly started a new game on Survival, and it's actually pretty drat hard. My time is consumed with scrounging together the resources to keep my life support charged up. I bet this is the hardest part, though. Once I get off-planet and can move more freely, as well as get some suit upgrades I imagine the difficulty will level off a bit.

I remember that while the space combat is lackluster, it can be deadly before you get any upgrades. I'm wondering if Survival mode turns it into constant, tedious death.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Anaxite posted:

I'm wondering if Survival mode turns it into constant, tedious death.

No, that's just playing the regular game.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

And the non-sale price is still sixty bucks.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

new phone who dis posted:

I bought this game for 20 dollars brand new on black friday. Still havent opened it.
No reason to rush, it'll be the same when you're in the mood. That pretty much goes for the game as a whole, really. Nothing about changing the "ending" in the patch notes so still no real reason to push towards anything the game demands, just make your own goals.

It's fun tuning into Twitch right now and seeing so many people fail miserably at Survival difficulty, some of them don't even know how to play the game normally let alone with the various drains jacked up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I approved the creation of this thread because people wanted to talk about the new additions to the game. Please focus on that, this isn't a safe space but whoever will be just popping in to threadshit will eat a probe just like in any other thread.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI9PvjJJijY

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Node posted:

No, that's just playing the regular game.

No, it's just tedious :v:

I used cheat engine to afford a frigate but I can't seem to edit the inside at all so we're off to a good start at least.

EDIT: Turns out hitting z will enter construction mode, and it only bothered to tell me this when I established a planetary base

Drizvolta fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 28, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I am frankly shocked and baffled they actually have such a huge update after so long radio silence. You'd think they'd like, drop a screenshot to give people a clue they hadn't all quit!

Update seems pretty cool. Wasn't sure base building was a thing this game ever needed, but they did a pretty impressive implementation of it. And a good number of quality of life improvements. Hopefully they continue work on it!

Really should have labeled this game Early Access. Probably still should. Its gonna have a long gestation period like minecraft, but they've kinda already blown all their goodwill with the public so the playerbase will never be as big again, even if they make it good.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Wow, should I be thankful that Steam denied my refund request? What do bases and freighters actually do?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Wow, should I be thankful that Steam denied my refund request? What do bases and freighters actually do?
Mostly give you a place to hoard more junk, and some mechanisms to get a little more as well. Considering looting all the resources is the main gameplay anyway that seems pretty smart. I'm just hoping they actually let you cobble together a significantly large stash compared to what you can haul around yourself.

You can also 'hire' dudes to put in them. The guys you hire will also ask for stuff so that gives your gameplay a little more direction as well. No idea yet if you get good poo poo in return or just more requests.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 28, 2016

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

who on earth is still funding this thing

would sony be pumping money into it trying to salvage a possibly strong IP?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zaphod42 posted:

I am frankly shocked and baffled they actually have such a huge update after so long radio silence. You'd think they'd like, drop a screenshot to give people a clue they hadn't all quit!
Reaching out to the community that overwhelmingly wants to hurl poo poo at them instead of just ignoring it altogether and putting out updates occasionally doesn't make a lot of sense. As this new thread proves, people are still completely ready to jump out and vomit mockery regardless of what they put out or how good it is, so avoiding the internet altogether especially after the harassment and death threats seems like a totally fine way to do things.

DaveKap in the Steam thread did some helpful rundowns of his experience with the new patch:

DaveKap posted:

Short 10 minute trip report on No Man's Sky:

When you fire the game up it will instantly ask you if you want your old save now titled "Classic Mode" or the other two new saves under Survival Mode and Creative Mode. I chose creative to get a quick look at what's available.

Right off the bat I can say that the default motion blur was so very much loving needed for the original release. It's subtle in a Valve game way and very adjustable, so if you whine about motion blur, don't worry, they're doing it right.
The building tools are very Rust-like. You plop a thing down based on how its connected to other things or just build somewhere near your base. The biggest downside to the whole experience is that they don't have key bindings set up for it so you have to deal with their default bindings. If you're an ESDF player like me, this extremely fucks your poo poo up, but hopefully someone on the modding site will have a quick fix.
Speaking of mods, they definitely break with the new version, so make sure you go clean up all those _files if you have them sitting around. Even the "speed up clicks" mod broke, so I'm looking forward to the new version of that asap.
Er, back to the building... you can build rooms, lights, farming stuff, decals, new tech, decorations, containers, infrastructure... it's pretty much everything in the video and a little bit more.
They also rebalanced some stuff and changed what resources are used to do certain things, down to what you find in asteroids and refuels your ship.
Oh and the quick menu is super nice, but again, needs key rebind changes.
Most importantly! The melee booster bug is still in.

So far I'd actually say a new thread is warranted. Considering folks are going to want to show off the buildings and freighters (I haven't touched those yet) they made, on top of talking about all the other random changes made to the game.

Edit: Enjoy the loving journey achievements on your new saves. Fuuuuuuck...

DaveKap posted:

All the new stuff is in Classic Mode with your old save. The other 2 modes are "nothing costs any money or resources" and "you will die" so it'd be kinda awful if they didn't patch into your old save. :P

Edit: After playing some more, here's the second trip report.
You buy freighters by finding them among fleets. So now fleets in space aren't completely useless, you can land on their freighter, use it as a place to trade with other NPCs landing there, and buy the freighter outright. There may be some kind of mechanic I don't know about yet regarding being friendly with the captain in order to actually build on the ship, as I couldn't get building within the ship to work in creative mode. Outside of being a mobile base (not that you needed one, since bases allow teleportation) it's a glorified storage box. However, considering how much has changed in the past 3 months of development, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a thing you had to defend against pirates while providing some other perks at some point.
Important to note that you have to quit the game to switch between the 3 modes. Kinda dumb but probably will be patched.
Also of note is the fact that the "nearby" function in the galaxy map actually works now. There are people all over the starting area! Now if there were just some freaking way to actually know where they left behind messages.
So, yeah, you can now leave floating terminals that just let you type in whatever message you want and someone else can run across it in their game and read your message. It's just Dark Souls but you type the message yourself. I honestly never understood what the point of doing something like this would be in a game so loving vast and without any actual way to see that the message awaits you. Perhaps they'll add it to scanning (or perhaps they already have?)
Scanning is now waaaaaaaay more useful. You see what you actually need instead of having to land on a planet and search. Also, the buildable signal boosters will direct you to exactly what you're looking for now. Well... more or less... I don't think they show you where crashed ships are anymore? I'm not sure about that quite yet.
Most importantly! The game has loving MISSIONS now. When you build your base you don't get instant access to everything. Instead, you build a terminal for construction, hire a dude at a space station, and he will issue you quests to gather things in order to build more things. This continues in a chain, as far as I can tell, of unlocking the other 3 terminal types which then lead to those hired dudes sending you off on other missions in order to unlock more features. In other words, an actual loving proper quest line to get more stuff instead of just "walk up to random terminal, unlock secrets to galaxy." So yeah, starting a new game in survival is actually attractive for this feature alone. It'll sorta be like playing a new game.

DaveKap posted:

Another No Man's Sky travel report.

Survival mode is loving bonkers hard. Aside from the fact that it makes your life support and hazard suit bars go down waaaay faster than you're used to, the fall damage will be the end of you early game. It's so loving hard that I have to assume getting control of your situation is going to feel REALLY satisfying.
The worst really is handling your life support, though. By starting out in hazardous conditions, your life support automatically takes a huge hit and the only way to actually keep it up is by finding Thalium9 which is not a very common thing to find. At least not on my stating planet. Considering the scanner takes a long time to recharge now and you need it in order to find that Thalium9, you're spending time in caves trying to keep yourself from dying due to the hazardous environment. Basically, you will die and it will probably be from fall damage.

I'm not sure if I'll keep bothering with Survival or just go back to my Classic save since it has all the new stuff anyway. When you start up your classic save, it actually prompts you with a short list of patch notes. One of the ones that stood out to me was "larger space battles and new ship mechanics." I have no idea what the new mechanics are supposed to be but here's hoping they finally added missiles...

Lastly, despite my earlier post exclaiming you don't just walk up to stuff to find new tech, this is still actually a thing you do. It's just that a bunch of tech is now hidden behind the base building missions instead. Important difference there but if you already found all the random "click to find" tech in your Classic game, there is now more to find. First thing I clicked on gave me tech for my blaster, so there is plenty more to discover now in your old game.

Edit: Oh poo poo, I think I just realized why my life support shoots down so fast... Melee boost jumping is now tracked by the game. And it makes your life support SINK. Wow. They turned a bug into a feature... one that actually hurts you in survival mode. Jeez!

Edit2: Oh, right, crafting things actually matters now... so gathering up the easier-to-find plutonium and carbon lets you make packs that fix your life support. It's crazy coming back to this game 3 months later, your prior knowledge has to be discarded.

DaveKap posted:

The Division is, and always was, a good game, except now it's better than it ever was before.

Last trip report from No Man's Sky.

Survival mode is loving frustrating for two solid reasons. 1: Your past knowledge about how the game works is mostly wrong now and 2: Some scanner-type poo poo needs fixing. If you're out of zinc, don't depend on your scanner to actually tell you where the nearest zinc is. If you need Heridium, you have to plop down a signal booster to tell you where it is except it won't tell you where the nearest one is, just where a random one within a 20 minute walk is. I needed some and it told me to walk 17 minutes. 1 minute into my walk I found a deposit and took it back to my ship. It's really awful.
That said, it does feel really really good to finally get all your poo poo together and not be constantly close to death. It's a risk/reward kinda thing, except the reward is the same as it was before, it just feels like a bigger accomplishment.
The "new space combat mechanic" is that when you aim at an enemy, it'll give you a reticle to try to stay within. If you hit it bullseye, it does critical 2x damage to the enemy. So, hey, space combat isn't just point and shoot anymore, you have to aim now.
Freighters cost somewhere in the 8 figure range so that's a thing to keep in mind. Also, always have at least 2 stacks of plutonium on you at all times, taking off now uses up its entire fuel gauge. I plan on modding that out asap because that's less "a fun mechanic" and more "difficulty for difficulty's sake." Without an upgrade chain for the landing gear, this was a stupid change to make. Also they didn't make it so you're guaranteed to hit a landing pad when trying to land near a landing pad. Like, the dumbest bug that needed fixing and needed it even MORE fixed for survival, still isn't fixed. Yuck.

So, if you're shaky on going back to No Man's Sky, I'd say stick to creative or your classic game and try out all the new poo poo. If you wanted a difficult experience that actually made you feel all those lonely, explorative, die-at-any-second feelings Sean Murray insisted you would have, play Survival.

Edit: One more thing about survival! There is no auto-save! As far as I can tell, the only time it saves is when you actively hit a save marker. This is why they made save markers buildable. Getting out of your ship no longer counts as saving! This is super important. Edit on this actually auto-saves exist in space stations.

Let me correct myself on this one. It's not that the game tracks and punishes you for doing melee booster jumping. It's actually that just using your jetpack causes your life support systems to drop the fastest. Since melee boosting requires jetpack usage, it made it seem like it was the cause. Nope, jetpacking just kills you I guess.
My bet is that this is an upgradable thing though, since jetpacks and the life support system are are, y'know, upgradable already anyway.

DaveKap posted:

One last post about the No Man's Sky update.

I can't recommend Survival in its current state. Unfortunately, as a mode which depends upon you finding specific resources via your scanner (which, btw, is broken) and limits your resources to the point that hitting landing pads actually matters now, it's just not fun. Hopefully they'll fix the issues with these bugs and the mode will feel like a proper challenge but until then, it's a mode which emphasizes what's broken with the game rather than what's fun about it.

Just play your last save, there's plenty new to do with it.

Oh I guess I'll also mention that because they start everyone off near each other now (instead of "all along the edge of the galaxy" which, btw, was bullshit as people have discovered the galaxy isn't even a circle) you'll constantly be seeing named stuff when you start new games.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mikojan posted:

who on earth is still funding this thing

would sony be pumping money into it trying to salvage a possibly strong IP?
From the way things sounded after release, it seems that Sony did not really actually provide them with any money, support, or anything, just advertising. The only thing they did was do some testing for the PS4 version. Hello Games did not even have anyone to test the PC version initially(those came after release). The game, regardless of what you thought, still sold well and at least sold a million copies, which, for a sixty dollar game from a company of like 8 people, is kinda loving massive. I think Hello Games is pretty set financially for years, maybe even a decade or more. Meaning they can spend at least a couple years doing updates for NMS(and will do so in all likelihood since NMS is Sean's baby, regardless of the bullshit he said on TV he still loves his game).

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Took a couple of screenshots while playing the new survival mode.

Enjoying the view but after playing and restarting once I'm really not enjoying running around on extreme climate planets trying to repair my ship.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Did they fix that poo poo where the math on Lightyears Jumped and Lightyears to Center never worked out?

The rumor was that the $1200 ebay guy got to the center of the galaxy in an afternoon before the game was released and streamed it, so the response by the developers was to day-0 patch the distance to the center by 4x or something like that. But they half-assed it so it was like the game was showing you distance with two different scales depending on where you were looking.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Reaching out to the community that overwhelmingly wants to hurl poo poo at them instead of just ignoring it altogether and putting out updates occasionally doesn't make a lot of sense.
As a forums admin, this is true.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I played this on my friend's PS4 and it's super chill and I'm thinking of picking it up on PC. How's the port become? I know at first it had some issues with stuttering and stuff but I don't know if they've fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also: I don't fully get why there is so much colored lighting in screenshots of this game. Does it look better in practice? I haven't played it.

• Locked thread