Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I can't believe that Johnny Mundo won the title via drunk driving

And thus, Sexy Star's title reign came to a screeching halt

thank you Johnny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

KatWithHands posted:

All that, and did he end up missing his finisher or was my feed just that crummy?

he missed it by like a mile!

but whatever, she was already out from brass knuckles, it was just the icing on the cake

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They couldn't have paced it longer than one loving week

Horrible booking, cheapens the achievement of even having a female champ.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Maxwell Lord posted:

it was even more hilarious at the tapings because it was literally a one night title reign

On the other hand, she lasted as long as Fenix did

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

it was even more hilarious at the tapings because it was literally a one night title reign

On the other hand, she lasted as long as Fenix did

I'm honestly angry. This is horrible booking no matter what you think of Sexy as a worker.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KatWithHands posted:

All that, and did he end up missing his finisher or was my feed just that crummy?

His aim is off with it so frequently that for about the first half of season one I thought it was supposed to be a corkscrew headbutt

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

he missed it by like a mile!

but whatever, she was already out from brass knuckles, it was just the icing on the cake

Oh yeah, put a fork in her, but that finisher was such a 'c'mon, man' moment.

Overall a good episode, I liked it! No dealbreaker complaints from over here (except for how short that trios match was :argh:), and I can't wait to see more of the Rabbit tribe, not to mention the Drago/Kobra Moon feud/plotline is starting to kick off.

But now that Johnny has the title, what's the rest of the Worldwide Underground going to do? Those boys are gonna get bored sooner or later, Johnny.

edit: You know what, I take it back. I feel kinda bad about Sexy losing the title one episode later, especially with that episode title. Every Woman Is Sexy, Every Woman Is A Star seems like a slap to the face when she gets punked like that.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 24, 2016

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

It makes sense to me. Sexy is like the only pure baby face and she made a pure baby face mistake. She told the Mack to stay away so that she could prove herself. She's too nice to be champion which fits her character.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

It makes sense to me. Sexy is like the only pure baby face and she made a pure baby face mistake. She told the Mack to stay away so that she could prove herself. She's too nice to be champion which fits her character.

Correct the title went from a killer monster to an idiot babyface to an idiot heel.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah but this takes us into WCW territory where all the faces lose because they're dumb.

It's mostly just the pacing. Hotshotting the title sucks, and they've also instantly lost any cred they could claim for having the guts to give a woman the belt, because she's clearly not good enough.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah but this takes us into WCW territory where all the faces lose because they're dumb.

It's mostly just the pacing. Hotshotting the title sucks, and they've also instantly lost any cred they could claim for having the guts to give a woman the belt, because she's clearly not good enough.

I don't remember anyone saying this about Fenix when he got done the same way.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

fatherdog posted:

I don't remember anyone saying this about Fenix when he got done the same way.

But wasn't that whole thing lost in the wave of "Holy poo poo what is Matanza" at AW2? If he'd lost it to someone like Johnny 1v1 the next week, it would've probably been considered lovely booking too.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If Ivelisse was there original plan I think she would of held the title a lot longer. This works for me though. Sexy winning felt good but her losing also makes sense in the story. I also can't think of a single person who I'd want to see in a championship feud with Sexy. She's still not a good wrestler. I don't really want to see her get wrecked by one of the monster heels. Getting cheated out of it because she is too nice works for me.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Maxwell Lord posted:

I disagree with the last part -- she was good enough, she lost due to a brass knuckle shot while thinking she was helping a fan. She didn't lose due to inferior athletic ability.

I agree with the first part though, even I thought this was way too quick of a hotshot, and I don't like Sexy Star much. Again, I think it goes back to Sexy being a plan B after Ivelisse got hurt, and they had this ready-made story of Johnny being the one who took her Gift of the Gods away and now swoops in to take her title. The whole thing really is engineered to get actual heat on Mundo more than anything. But I really think that they should have waited a week or two and given her one successful title defense to legitimatize her reign.

But anyway welcome to SLAMTOWN suckers

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think Sexy's loss might have gone down better if we haven't already had a long-rear end parade of heel champions. Mil ruled over the belt half a season, Matanza ruled it for almost a full year, and presumably Johnny will hold it a long time with the help of his buddies.

We haven't had a strong babyface champ since Puma way back in Season 1, while Fenix and Sexy got one-week cups of coffee. I didn't mind tonight's result, but I can see why it rubs people the wrong way.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

I think Sexy's loss might have gone down better if we haven't already had a long-rear end parade of heel champions. Mil ruled over the belt half a season, Matanza ruled it for almost a full year, and presumably Johnny will hold it a long time with the help of his buddies.

We haven't had a strong babyface champ since Puma way back in Season 1, while Fenix and Sexy got one-week cups of coffee. I didn't mind tonight's result, but I can see why it rubs people the wrong way.

I'm sort of torn. I don't know about Sexy being champ to begin with, but by god, if you're gonna do it, loving do it and commit. This makes the people smugly throwing shade at WWE look really dumb, btw.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm sort of torn. I don't know about Sexy being champ to begin with, but by god, if you're gonna do it, loving do it and commit.
I agree. If you want to make a statement about strong women, give Sexy Star one or two title defenses to actually look strong. The way they booked it, it merely looks like a publicity stunt.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
very happy that rabbit tribes gimmick is just "they have done a shitload of drugs"

also I am usually a matt striker apologist but "watch out ISIS!" and "modified staggered state" were particularly bad

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Capsaicin posted:

very happy that rabbit tribes gimmick is just "they have done a shitload of drugs"

also I am usually a matt striker apologist but "watch out ISIS!" and "modified staggered state" were particularly bad

https://twitter.com/Matt_Striker_/status/801598140361084928

I like when he starts heckling himself while the show is on

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I really want to see the Rabbit Tribe fight the World Wide Underground. That would probably be a good time.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Another Striker Moment that got me rolling my eyes was his Clerks reference when Fox was coming out to the ring. "I talked to Dante Fox earlier tonight, and he told me first that he wasn't even supposed to be here today..."

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
that is actually great

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I just watched the latest episode and I am pleased with this. I'm not too fond of Sexy Star, she has had some excellent matches but doesn't deliver regularly. Johnny Mundo on the other has been my favorite wrestleman since MNM debuted on Smackdown to feud with Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero, so I'm happy to see him win the title.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, Johnny's been doing amazing work in LU. They may have taken some questionable scenic routes to get there, but I'm happy he finally got the title.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I like how, even though they're both heels, Dario still can't stand Mundo. I bet he goes out of his way to gently caress over Johnny any chance he gets.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm sort of torn. I don't know about Sexy being champ to begin with, but by god, if you're gonna do it, loving do it and commit. This makes the people smugly throwing shade at WWE look really dumb, btw.

Ehh...if Ivelisse wins the title when she's healthy, nobody's going to complain about not committing. They've already breached that line, if only for a week.

I'm of the mind that having a woman in a top position, whether wrestling or a leading role or politics, doesn't need to be "hey everyone look how progressive we are!", but rather "The top spot is occupied by a great talent who happens to be a woman". It seems less sincere to me when there's pageantry surrounding it.

Actually I just realized I'm sort of describing both of WWE's women's divisions.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

Yeah, Johnny's been doing amazing work in LU. They may have taken some questionable scenic routes to get there, but I'm happy he finally got the title.

Mundo seems to go the extra mile for the company, too. Aside from being consistently pretty good in the ring, he's been there since day 1 and every time there is any sort of promotional event or media tour, he's always there putting in time and doing interviews and stuff.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

Ehh...if Ivelisse wins the title when she's healthy, nobody's going to complain about not committing. They've already breached that line, if only for a week.

I'm of the mind that having a woman in a top position, whether wrestling or a leading role or politics, doesn't need to be "hey everyone look how progressive we are!", but rather "The top spot is occupied by a great talent who happens to be a woman". It seems less sincere to me when there's pageantry surrounding it.

Actually I just realized I'm sort of describing both of WWE's women's divisions.

Exactly. The point is Charlotte isn't the universal champ but I'd argue Sexy winning the LU title in a messy schmozz of sorts then losing it a week later isn't THAT much more forward thinking than the upward movement of women's wrestling in WWE in general. It's great, but people going, "Heh, THERE'S your revolution, WWE. :smug:" are kind of dumb. Still should've been Ivie.

The pageantry of WWE's stuff with the ladies is virtually gone other than Foley promos, while Striker was laying it on THICK.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 25, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Exactly. The point is Charlotte isn't the universal champ
I meant more along the lines of "Look, at have women in the PPV main event!" which is great and all, but like, when NXT did it it was just a thing that happened because their matches were incredible, not because they were being super progressive. I feel the same about LU. Apart from Striker being Striker, from day one they've just had women there, hanging in the ring with the men, and it rarely feels exploitative or creepy or even a big deal. It just is. It's a very matter of fact way of going about it and I appreciate that more.

This is kind of a tangent, but I equate things like this with the original draft of Alien's script. Despite the iconic sexual imagery Giger's design gave the movie, the original O'Bannon script was completely gender neutral. Every role including could've been a man or woman. Growing up with those movies, it pretty much never occurred to me that Sigourney Weaver was a badass female action hero, she was just a badass. Not that I want, say, Kobra Moon as champ, but that's only because she's not very good.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WWE just had women main-event Hell in a Cell for no discernible reason other than "we haven't had a women's HIAC match before, and look they're main-eventing! HISTORY!" so let's not pretend LU has the market cornered in shoe-horned women's historical moments.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I feel like the WWE's "Womens Revolution" is worth praise, even if the self-congratulatory nature of it can be a little overdone in spots (especially when it's someone like Stephanie crowing about it). But if you look at where they came from -- two minute "Divas" matches and before that the era of bra-and-panties matches -- it is a hell of a good thing that they're reached the point that they are at least showing serious competitive matches on the womens' side. They aren't going to have women challenging for the men's titles, and maybe you think that's good and maybe you think that's bad. But it's just the reality of their positioning with sponsors and networks, and it's not going to change just like RAW being three hours isn't going to change. But I think they are at least making strides forward from where they started and if they want to pat themselves on the back about it, well, they deserve to. I don't mind them being proud of themselves when they actually did something good, especially in an industry where sometimes progression of this nature is rare.

Same with LU. I do think that having Sexy Star only have a one-week reign is a little misstep, but I also know they have a different story they are looking to tell with her going forward. Still, having had a woman champ, even if only for a Fenix-length reign, opens that door, and if next season they wanted to put it on an Ivelisse or a Taya and have them hold it for longer, that foundation is in place. It could have been better, but I don't think it's a bad thing (especially since Sexy only lost due to Taya interference). Striker got over-dramatic about it, but that's Striker being Striker.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I could have my timeline way off, but wasn't Sexy's winning the championship also when she was doing her 'i'm going to decline/no-show events in Mexico where they want me to drop the title/i'm going to quit wrestling and go into boxing full-time' thing behind the scenes? They might have wanted a woman's champion, and then with her as plan b needed to get the title off of her just in case she quit wrestling or her issues tied her up and they couldn't use her.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Isn't she retiring to do boxing legit?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

Isn't she retiring to do boxing legit?

Yeah already retired over the summer http://wrestlingnews.co/the-sexy-star-character-has-officially-retired/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Martinpale posted:

I could have my timeline way off, but wasn't Sexy's winning the championship also when she was doing her 'i'm going to decline/no-show events in Mexico where they want me to drop the title/i'm going to quit wrestling and go into boxing full-time' thing behind the scenes? They might have wanted a woman's champion, and then with her as plan b needed to get the title off of her just in case she quit wrestling or her issues tied her up and they couldn't use her.

Yes. I said something about it earlier, but at the actual tapings, up until Aztec Warfare the only thing she had done was have the one match where she dropped the Gift of the Gods to Mundo. The regulars I talk to thought she was probably done and just had the grace to at least stop in and lose the Gift of the Gods. Then she showed up at Aztec Warfare, won the title, and dropped the title the next night. We didn't know if that actually meant she was going to have a one week title reign, or if they just wanted to get the match where she lost the title taped in case she bailed out on the promotion entirely. But then she showed up for the rest of the tapings to backfill in those other matches with the Worldwide Underground and to have an angle going forward. So if there was a problem, at least LU worked it out with her.

Aside from boxing, she is still wrestling, though, she just retired the Sexy Star character. She's on a wrestling show in Tijuana tonight in fact. It seems likely to me that her "retirement" was more about making a clean break from AAA than anything else.

I think LU could still use her next season, same as they could still use Rey Fenix, but they might have to rebrand her. When Chris DeJoseph was asked recently about LU using talents like Sexy that had a break with AAA, he said "We aren't AAA," implying at least from his perspective he doesn't think there is a problem. But again, who knows what happens if the Roldans put their foot down.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I have caught up with this show. Goddamn this is awesome. Kinda super burnt out since I took most of season 3 today, after finishing season 2 on friday/saturday.

Ivelisse winning the title would've been sweet and hype AF, Sexy Star having a more decent finish (that stomp looked kinda bad) would've gone a long way but it was nice. Then it already ended, so idk.
Really interested in Pentagon Dark vs Black STARDOM Lotus
I love Cortez getting smashed left and right
I need to see The Gods Call Him Cage - He's A Vessel
Hope Vamp brings back Puma and that Pentagon Dark uses the Lotus' black magic or something to bring Konnan back and they just have a Stand Battle.
Can't wait to see what's next for Matanza
And to meet Dragon Penis Lizard Illuminati Man
And Dario's boss
and ahhhh so much cool poo poo

Wrestling is the best when it's super real like this with wizards and guns and bowling balls and high-flying super sick stunts :)

Also, SRM, any chance you know when Ivelisse gets better? like, should I expect her for late season 3 stuff or just give up hope and wait for the possible season 4 to see more of her in LU?

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 28, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I have caught up with this show. Goddamn this is awesome. Kinda super burnt out since I took most of season 3 today, after finishing season 2 on friday/saturday.

Ivelisse winning the title would've been sweet and hype AF, Sexy Star having a more decent finish (that stomp looked kinda bad) would've gone a long way but it was nice. Then it already ended, so idk.
Really interested in Pentagon Dark vs Black STARDOM Lotus
I love Cortez getting smashed left and right
I need to see The Gods Call Him Cage - He's A Vessel
Hope Vamp brings back Puma and that Pentagon Dark uses the Lotus' black magic or something to bring Konnan back and they just have a Stand Battle.
Can't wait to see what's next for Matanza
And to meet Dragon Penis Lizard Illuminati Man
And Dario's boss
and ahhhh so much cool poo poo

Wrestling is the best when it's super real like this with wizards and guns and bowling balls and high-flying super sick stunts :)

Also, SRM, any chance you know when Ivelisse gets better? like, should I expect her for late season 3 stuff or just give up hope and wait for the possible season 4 to see more of her in LU?

She's out for quite some time, but she does come back by Ultima Lucha 3. I honestly don't remember when, though, I just remember she did have a match at UL3.

In other news, Sexy Dulche (the name unmasked Sexy Star has been going by) reportedly said last night at the Crash show in Tijuana that she does intend to continue wrestling. So it seems like retiring Sexy Star really was mostly about getting the hell away from AAA. What that may mean for her and LU, who knows.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 28, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

StarkRavingMad posted:

She's out for quite some time, but she does come back by Ultima Lucha 3. I honestly don't remember when, though, I just remember she did have a match at UL3.

In other news, Sexy Dulche (the name unmasked Sexy Star has been going by) reportedly said last night at the Crash show in Tijuana that she does intend to continue wrestling. So it seems like retiring Sexy Star really was mostly about getting the hell away from AAA. What that may mean for her and LU, who knows.

Sounds fair enough. Can't wait to see her back!

Hope the best for her, though i'm mostly concerned that I could've gone to that event (Jeff Hardy, Rey Fénix y Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Jeff Cobb, Nicho el Millionario y Teddy Hart as the main event sounds super good) and also that you mean Sexy Dulce.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Kinda super burnt out since I took most of season 3 today, after finishing season 2 on friday/saturday.

:psyduck: good lord, it's good to stop and chew your food sometimes, ya know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

StarkRavingMad posted:

Stoked for the debut of Sexy Dark

• Locked thread