Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

KillHour posted:

Get a real sub next time and have your mind blown again.

Kidding. Enjoy your new setup and don't get sucked down the rabbit hole with the rest of us suckers.

I live in a wood frame condo, surrounded on all sides. This is already too powerful. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

KozmoNaut posted:

My setup just got a major shot in the arm.

Well not quite, but I did dumpster dive a free 19" Samsung TV at work today. It just bugs me when people throw away perfectly functional non-broken stuff.

It'll make a fine Chromecast/RetroPie/whatever monitor for my workbench, once I get a cheap HDMI audio extractor and a HDMI->DVI cable (no HDMI inputs). S-Video and SCART RGB too, so it'll make a decent monitor for old consoles.

When I got my 4k monitor I left my 27" 1080p monitor, which is a lot nicer/newer than that one, in the condo mail room with a "free" post it note. Not worth the effort to do any more.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

poppingseagull posted:

There is a slight delay, not really noticeable but can add up with other devices adding their own delays. A lot of extenders out there work but may have other issues, especially the cheaper ones. Things like sync detect not working and not getting the highest supported HDMI data rates.

For 50 ft you shouldn't need an HDBaseT extender unless you really want to avoid running a new wire to upgrade, say, 10 years away. In that case you are spending 8x the amount of money on something like an Atlona AT-UHD series and CAT7 cable (seriously, data rates for uncompressed 4K/60 with HDR are crazy).

I say a 50 ft HDMI cable is probably going to be okay, it will certainly be the cheapest way. Just keep in mind it will likely fail past 1080p/60. 4K/30 might work, but I wouldn't bet on it. Once you get towards the edge there will be annoying issues, like some source devices working, some not. If you want 4K, give a shot at an Active HDMI cable (look for redmere) as that will get better results. Just check everything for HDCP2.2 and 4K support these days. Lots of older stuff floating around.

I probably should have saved money and went with a longer/stiffer active HDMI and tried to loop it through a weirder attic access route, but decided to throw money at it and go with fiber optic HDMI (https://www.amazon.com/Celerity-Technologies-DFO-60P-Fiber-Optic/dp/B009CH3TFK). It was $150 from ebay, but supports 4k, ARC, has a tiny end connector to ease ceiling/wall routing, and should be fairly future proof. Hopefully this isn't worthy of being reposted in the audiophiles thread.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

One thing that I did with my last HT was install crown moldings and then I could run wires behind them almost anywhere and everywhere without having to dig into the ceiling. Won't work for every room/situation though obviously. Can also get fancy and install LED strips which I think is a really neat effect.

I'd do this with my current HT room but the room is really pretty lovely and not conducive to a nice HT. House shopping right now (probably moving to a different city half an hour away) but houses in NV nearly universally lack basements. Which means that 2% of houses have a room that's actually good for a projector, 5% have a room that is roughly equivalent to what I have now, 5% are worse but maybe serviceable, and 88% are total crap and basically impossible to have a projector in.

http://www.creativecrown.com/Indirect_lighting.html

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

When I got my 4k monitor I left my 27" 1080p monitor, which is a lot nicer/newer than that one, in the condo mail room with a "free" post it note. Not worth the effort to do any more.

At least you deliberately left it for someone to find, instead of just throwing it in the dumpster.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I have a bunch of stuff (PC, TV, a 5.1 a lovely desktop 2.1 and a really old but amazing 2.0 Technics sound system) across a living room and a study and I'm having a bitch of a time figuring out how to make the best of it.

Would this be a good thread to ask for ideas/suggestions regarding this? I don't want to make a long(er) post with room diagrams and pictures if there's a better place to ask for help.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I recently put together a banging 2.1 in the lounge, a 2.0 in the dining and a 2.1 out on the deck for my little sister and we tied it all together with chromecast audios. Works pretty well as a poor man's sonos.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I recently put together a banging 2.1 in the lounge, a 2.0 in the dining and a 2.1 out on the deck for my little sister and we tied it all together with chromecast audios. Works pretty well as a poor man's sonos.

You can cast to multiple units? That's cool. And I'll bet it sounds better than a Sonos.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, you can group multiple Chromecasts together and cast to them simultaneously.

I use it to fill my entire apartment with sound when I'm cleaning and running around between rooms.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 28, 2016

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

What do you power each speaker setup with? Are they all wireless or bluetooth speakers?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Falco posted:

What do you power each speaker setup with? Are they all wireless or bluetooth speakers?

I would imagine they all have their own amps.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

You can cast to multiple units? That's cool. And I'll bet it sounds better than a Sonos.

It's funny when your internet speed is borderline, the sound slooows doooown. I was really surprised how well it stays in sync though, I never noticed any drift.

Falco posted:

Each speaker setup goes Chromecast audio -> active crossover -> amps -> speakers. You can control what's playing and the entire system volume from your smartphone.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

desk is getting a little crowded.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Updated to 4K way earlier than expected... drat you PS4 Pro!!

65" Samsung KS8000
Onkyo HT-S7800 receiver and speakers

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 27, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

65" Samsung KS8000
Onkyo HT-S7800 receiver and speakers

Nice deer! My partner and I just bought that same TV too- it might be the most expensive single item that we've bought together now, outside of our shared lease.

It was tough to choose between that one, the similarly ranked Sony, and the $2k Vizio P-Series one that everyone recommends.

Ultimately, spending a few hundred less meant that we could also buy other cool things for our apartment- like an Audioengine B2 for the bedroom.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 27, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just saw that Visio P series for like $1000 at BestBuy as a Black Friday deal. If they had that last year when I bought my Samsung, I would have totally gotten that instead.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

I just saw that Visio P series for like $1000 at BestBuy as a Black Friday deal. If they had that last year when I bought my Samsung, I would have totally gotten that instead.

No way dude. The lowest I saw it for was $1799, unless you're talking about an open-box or Super Secret In-Person Only Doorbuster Deal that nobody else heard about.

Maybe it was a clearout of the 2015 P-Series?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's $1500 on the Visio website right now.

https://www.vizio.com/p65c1.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAyO_BBRDOgM-K8MGWpmYSJACePQ9CLaJIqPgyaHmQE_Llk4pdRJPANVS9y81XyLrdgA31mhoCUzLw_wcB

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

$1500 =/= $1000 :), but that's definitely a sweet deal and the cheapest I've ever seen that particular TV.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That was an in store only deal and it was on the 55 inch. The 65 was like 1300 iirc.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Same.

However, I got the PS4 Pro for the PS VR since I heard it'd make that better... So I have a dilemma now that I also have a 4K TV.

It's going thru the ps vr box right now which takes away the 4kness, so I hear? Is there some sort of HDMI switcher that would let me sidechain thru the VR box when i want to do that but otherwise go direct to my receiver?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

It's funny when your internet speed is borderline, the sound slooows doooown. I was really surprised how well it stays in sync though, I never noticed any drift.

Each speaker setup goes Chromecast audio -> active crossover -> amps -> speakers. You can control what's playing and the entire system volume from your smartphone.

I know this was a while ago, but I really appreciate the reply. I've been going back and forth over going down the rabbit hole of Sonos or possibly a Chromecast audio setup. I currently have a 5.1 system that I build myself (Microbe with Vifa tweeters built from plans posted here years ago), but am only utilizing the fronts, center and sub. The two rears are currently unused in my setup. I was hoping to use those if possible, but I don't currently have anything to power them. So I'm looking for suggestions for a relatively inexpensive amplifier to power these.

So our usage will be a living room with the currently used home built speakers and then a kitchen/dining area that I could either use the 2 bookshelf Microbes or buy something new like a Sonos Play 1. Our primary music source is Spotify free, but I do have a stack of music stored on our QNAP NAS that I would love to source. Most of this is organized well, but the rest is buried in an iTunes library from my wife's collection. It seems both Sonos and Chromecast audio require a Spotify premium subscription for either to work. So if I want that to work, do I just need to drop the $10/mo for spotify Premium? Also, if I want both rooms to work together, it seems I can either add an amp to the pair of speakers, 2 Chromecast audio units and Spotify premium OR buy a Sonos speaker, and a Sonos connect to hook up to my receiver. Does that all seem straight?

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

I saw you posted in the other thread and the Dayton recommendation is a good one.

Chromecast audios can play stuff straight off youtube and even locally stored files. I can't stand to use iTunes so I'd just explort the wife's library and pop it on the NAS. Otherwise, sounds good.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Moved in to a new house, finally able to mount the television and stuck equipment in a cabinet behind the wall in a walk-in wardrobe.

Looks pretty good, I think..

I'll be setting up cooling racks and fans for the cabinet in the next few days. Runs okay for now though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you're considering Sonos be aware that for Spotify and other services you don't have to use their dumb software. It's all controllable within the Spotify app.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

sellouts posted:

If you're considering Sonos be aware that for Spotify and other services you don't have to use their dumb software. It's all controllable within the Spotify app.

Doesn't this require Spotify Premium though?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Falco posted:

Possibly, but how could anyone stand using the free version?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Falco posted:

Yeah sorry for suggesting a 10/mo service for a speaker system that costs hundreds.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Spotify normal doesn't work, google play music does but only your personal library. Pandora works but not in Canada.

There are 2 major services that work in Canada. I can't remember remember the names

I signed up with a free trial of play music premium premium and so far I love it. Thinking of doing the family pack as it's 6 accounts for $15 a month. I've been on the road a lot lately for work (16 hours a day minimum right now) and the podcast stuff is a life saver.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Spotify premium is available in Canada. I believe they have the same family plan?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sellouts posted:

Spotify premium is available in Canada. I believe they have the same family plan?

Yeah Spotify premium works, just not normal Spotify.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
All the rooms in my house with speakers in them

https://imgur.com/gallery/uhecf

HT - Klipsch RB-61 II, Klipsch RC-52 II Polk PSW505

Stereo listening room- Tekton Lore v2s, NAD C356BEE, Emotiva Stealth DC-1, Sonos connect, project debut carbon, schiit mani, MiniDSP 2x4.

Computer- JBL LSR305s, Audioengine D1, Sennheiser HD 650.

1x Sonos Play:5, 2x Sonos Play 1.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 14, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My setup is bad and I should feel bad.
It's tough finding things with a good wife approval factor.

Yes I'm relegated to the living room floor at the moment. Wifey took the office and doesn't like to share. I'm building a breakfast nook next to the kitchen where I'll be able to hide my computer and stuff so there's that...

I'm currently shopping around for a nice HT receiver and some floorstanding speakers and center channel. Eventually I'll get some rears and a sub. Not long after I'll probably get some atmos speakers.

My biggest problem is buying something I can grow into and not out of.
Separate component systems (like Marantz) seem like a great option, but I really don't want to spend $6000-12000 before I even get to speakers.
Then again none of the $2000 seem to do it for me. There's not really much in between.
I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually...

All my good audio stuff is downstairs and has no video component whatsoever so idk if it belongs here.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

You have nice things. For ultimate WAF, find a closet or corner of the basement and put all your equipment there and run cat6 and speaker wire to your TV locations. This is assuming you have access to do so.

I have a single story with an attic so it was a breeze. Having everything tucked away out of sight is nice, especially now that I have a 2 month old. She'll be in "Ohhh shiny button thingies that I must smash my booger infested fingers on" mode soon. The Wife likes having things out of the living room as well.

Plus then you can start looking at whole home video distribution and whole home audio and get way too invested in it like I have.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

All my good audio stuff is downstairs and has no video component whatsoever so idk if it belongs here.

Definitely do this.

Just moved into a new place and now half my equipment is balanced.

Doing music distribution

I have to drill holes in the chimney to run cables for the telly and yada yada so I can put the ugly bits in a cupboard and I can't be bothered because today I removed 40 odd subwoofers and tweeters and associated cabling from a loving tunnel.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This is the tunnel btw

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Slight derail: Is that an AC unit in your fireplace? Is that normal where you live?
What if you want to build a fire?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Looks like a gas heating unit. There are models that are designed to slip into old fireplaces and use the flue as exhaust/air source.

Plus, it might have been a coal burning fireplace, and those don't convert too well to wood.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like that it's a bigass computer hooked up to stuff that doesn't fit on the world's smallest mantle over the world's ugliest fireplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nobody appears to be noticing the fact there's a loving GIANT SUB in the corner. Bill Fitzmaurice THTLP judging from the cut out on the horn there. I bet that thing moves some air at low frequencies judging by how much my T60s do.... Jealous.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html