Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Three Olives posted:

As suspected Echo Dots are on Amazon's black Friday sale, $39, $10 off.

Does the buy 5 get one free still apply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
It's actually cheaper...

5*50=250
6*40=240

I'm sure they can work with you to find a way to charge you $10 more.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Your math sucks.

5x50 plus one free = 250 for 6.
5x40 plus one free = 200 for 6.

Hence the question does the six pack deal still apply with the $10 off. To which probably the answer is who knows... but heres hoping.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Amazon has refurb Echo for $119 ($51 savings) showing as being available 11/27.

Is anyone running one of these, or a dot, in the bedroom? How has it worked for you?

Are there ways to keep it from waking you up when wifi or internet cuts out?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have an Echo in the bedroom, on the shelf behind the bed, and it's awesome. I enjoy the music (although Pink Floyd does not sound its best monaurally), I use it to check the weather forecast, I add stuff to the shopping list. We don't have power outages much; if we did, the "Hello." would probably get annoying fast.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Alexa is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

Of Course.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
My $50 tablet updated today and now I have Alexa on it too. Even without the dots, my house is slowly being covered.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

porkface posted:

Amazon has refurb Echo for $119 ($51 savings) showing as being available 11/27.

Is anyone running one of these, or a dot, in the bedroom? How has it worked for you?

Are there ways to keep it from waking you up when wifi or internet cuts out?

I have one on the nightstand. It's great. I use thunder sounds or ocean sounds as my white noise. I use it as an alarm clock as well. Alexa also gives me my flash briefing in the morning. Overall it's pretty great having her there. Definitely worth it since I don't have speakers in my bedroom otherwise.

Call Me Charlie posted:

My $50 tablet updated today and now I have Alexa on it too. Even without the dots, my house is slowly being covered.

Is it always on or do you have to activate it like Siri on the iPhone/iPad? Been considering a fire tablet for a media remote in my living room.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

housefly posted:

Is it always on or do you have to activate it like Siri on the iPhone/iPad? Been considering a fire tablet for a media remote in my living room.

You have to hold down the home button to activate it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The only thing I don't like about the Dot in the bedroom of our condo is that sometimes it answers when we are talking to the main Echo. Might change the wake word on it to something else.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Dots are down to $40 right now on amazon. Good time to grab a couple more if you need them.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Just recently moved to an apartment with built in Nest thermostats and now I bought the Philips Hue starter kit. Already contemplating getting some Dots. It begins :v:

Subjunctive posted:

Google can do "ok google, add chips and beer and napkins to my shopping list", or "turn on Netflix and dim the lights", plus follow-up context questions. I'm pretty jealous.

I may eventually switch to Google Home since I'm invested much more in Google's stuff, but Alexa is a way better wake-up word and waiting to see if Google doesn't pull a Google.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I've got a SmartThings hub now and want to add Alexa voice control, what does the full blown Echo give me versus just buying a Dot? The Echo has a much better speaker I know, but is there other functionality I'll miss if I just buy the Dot?

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

LordOfThePants posted:

I've got a SmartThings hub now and want to add Alexa voice control, what does the full blown Echo give me versus just buying a Dot? The Echo has a much better speaker I know, but is there other functionality I'll miss if I just buy the Dot?

The speaker is the only difference.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I can't remember what this echo dot bundle was going for earlier, or if the Harmony hub alone was cheaper at some point... http://amzn.to/2gctYy6 $114.86 for the hub and echo dot seems pretty good.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Don't buy the Harmony Hub without the basic remote unless you hate yourself. I fully endorse the Hub (Although there are a shitload of refurb units around at much better pricing) but controlling your TV just through Alexa and your smartphone is stupid.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Don't buy the Harmony Hub without the basic remote unless you hate yourself. I fully endorse the Hub (Although there are a shitload of refurb units around at much better pricing) but controlling your TV just through Alexa and your smartphone is stupid.

I really don't use my remote for much. I would be having it do what the remote on my receiver does (change inputs, turn its on/off) because everything else I control via PS4 controller or a wireless keyboard.

More than a few times I have forgot the TV was on and been laying in bed when it starts talking or the room is glowing. Would be nice to just tell alexa to turn everything off instead of having to get back out of bed again.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Would it make sense if you already have a Harmony One (old model)?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Would it make sense if you already have a Harmony One (old model)?

Absolutely 100% don't do this. Remember how Harmony works, it's entirely based on remembering the state of your devices because it put them in that state. The hub is just a Harmony that plugs into the wall and is connected to WiFi, it has no way of communicating with the Harmony One to sync state status which means using them together would just create constant conflicts unless you close out each activity on each device before using the other one and just pay the $35 for the simple remote if you are going to do that dumb thing.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Absolutely 100% don't do this. Remember how Harmony works, it's entirely based on remembering the state of your devices because it put them in that state. The hub is just a Harmony that plugs into the wall and is connected to WiFi, it has no way of communicating with the Harmony One to sync state status which means using them together would just create constant conflicts unless you close out each activity on each device before using the other one and just pay the $35 for the simple remote if you are going to do that dumb thing.

Thanks!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone have any luck getting Alexa to switch scenes with Philips Hue bulbs and a bridge? I'm kind of out of ideas.

I got Alexa to recognize the scenes as devices, and I can use her to control individual lights and turn them all on and off, but any attempt to trigger a scene results in the "that command cannot be used with device ..." I've tried lots of combos of room settings in Hue and groups in the Alexa app, but no dice. If anyone can offer some details on how to get it to work, I'd really appreciate it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Do you have the 1st gen or 2nd gen Hue Hub?

My research has told me that that stuff is only supported on the 2nd gen hub.

Honestly, I just use IFTTT for everything now.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

I just say "turn on relax in living room" etc and it works. Not sure what to tell you. :-/

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
2nd gen hub. 2nd (I guess) gen iOS app. Am linked with my hue account. Scenes show up in the Alexa Smart Home section as devices. Am using "Alexa, turn on relax in living room" (also tried "the living room"). Hue skill is enabled. Scenes work fine through the Hue app.

Frustrating thing is, after about an hour of fiddling with it yesterday, it worked. But today I decided the 2nd gen color bulbs I had wouldn't cut it (they have terrible greens and poor blues IMO) so I exchanged it for a kit with 3rd gen bulbs, and now all I get is "that command won't work".

Housefly, since it seems to work for you, do you have "living room" as the name of a room (of type living room) set in the Hue app (sounds like it), and do you have any groups set in the Alexa app?

And since I'm grasping at straws, would it matter if my Hue bridge is only a foot or two from my router?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Anyone have any luck getting Alexa to switch scenes with Philips Hue bulbs and a bridge? I'm kind of out of ideas.

I got Alexa to recognize the scenes as devices, and I can use her to control individual lights and turn them all on and off, but any attempt to trigger a scene results in the "that command cannot be used with device ..." I've tried lots of combos of room settings in Hue and groups in the Alexa app, but no dice. If anyone can offer some details on how to get it to work, I'd really appreciate it.

Alexa, turn on {scene name} in {room}

It's a little counter-intuitive based on how they are named as devices, but that sequence works for me.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

2nd gen hub. 2nd (I guess) gen iOS app. Am linked with my hue account. Scenes show up in the Alexa Smart Home section as devices. Am using "Alexa, turn on relax in living room" (also tried "the living room"). Hue skill is enabled. Scenes work fine through the Hue app.

Frustrating thing is, after about an hour of fiddling with it yesterday, it worked. But today I decided the 2nd gen color bulbs I had wouldn't cut it (they have terrible greens and poor blues IMO) so I exchanged it for a kit with 3rd gen bulbs, and now all I get is "that command won't work".

Housefly, since it seems to work for you, do you have "living room" as the name of a room (of type living room) set in the Hue app (sounds like it), and do you have any groups set in the Alexa app?

And since I'm grasping at straws, would it matter if my Hue bridge is only a foot or two from my router?

So interesting thing: it only seems to work with the out of the box scenes. I cannot get it to work with custom scenes. But yes, I have a room called living room in the hue and that transfers through to the Alexa app. My Alexa groups are just upstairs and downstairs so I can bulk turn things on/off - if that makes any sense.

Of note: my router, hue hub and echo dot are all within two feet of each other. So...I don't know. Maybe it's just bugged out? Try forgetting them in Alexa and discovering them again?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

housefly posted:

So interesting thing: it only seems to work with the out of the box scenes. I cannot get it to work with custom scenes.

Odd thing I noticed recently with the android app is I can no longer create a widget with a custom scene. Only the built on ones show up. I wonder if that's related.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
How do you guys get Alexa to turn your receiver volume up or down?

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

89 posted:

How do you guys get Alexa to turn your receiver volume up or down?

You have to use ifttt right now. There's no way to do it with the official harmony skill as of right now.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks for the info, guys. Still not working, but I have it kind of fudged with YonomI for now.

From everything I've found, it looks like I have everything set up correctly, and am "working" it correctly, but no dice. Seems like it's a glitch somehow connected to the Hue"skill" (since all the other non-scene commands work without the skill enabled).

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

It was asked before but I didn't see an answer: can I tell one dot to have another dot play music?

I have a whole house audio system with the receiver in the basement. I'd like to hook a dot directly up to the receiver but I'm never in the basement to issue it commands directly. Any idea if a setup like that is possible or if there would be a way to finagle it?

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

TouchyMcFeely posted:

It was asked before but I didn't see an answer: can I tell one dot to have another dot play music?

I have a whole house audio system with the receiver in the basement. I'd like to hook a dot directly up to the receiver but I'm never in the basement to issue it commands directly. Any idea if a setup like that is possible or if there would be a way to finagle it?

They are only aware of each other in the sense that the one closest to you will respond to commands. For that you'd need to get a harmony hub. For example, I can be upstairs and tell the echo next to my bed to turn on something in the entertainment center downstairs in my living room. But I can't issue it a command directly so that music streams from that dot to the stereo.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

housefly posted:

They are only aware of each other in the sense that the one closest to you will respond to commands. For that you'd need to get a harmony hub. For example, I can be upstairs and tell the echo next to my bed to turn on something in the entertainment center downstairs in my living room. But I can't issue it a command directly so that music streams from that dot to the stereo.

Ah that sucks. Hopefully that's something they address in the future.

I picked up the harmony hub/remote combo at the same time I got the echo. Figured it was time to replace my 12 year old Harmony 650 since the screen wouldn't turn off anymore and the battery life was atrocious. Looks like I'll have to figure out the whole Harmony/Dot interaction stuff now.

Thanks!

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Ah that sucks. Hopefully that's something they address in the future.

I picked up the harmony hub/remote combo at the same time I got the echo. Figured it was time to replace my 12 year old Harmony 650 since the screen wouldn't turn off anymore and the battery life was atrocious. Looks like I'll have to figure out the whole Harmony/Dot interaction stuff now.

Thanks!

It's pretty straight forward. The only thing that sucks is if you make any sort of changes to activity names or add activities you need to disable and re-enable the skill in the Alexa app to get the changes to be recognized. From what I understand it's only if the activity name changes though, and not the steps in that activity.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Logitech Harmony Hub with simple remote is down to $69.99 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ5RYI4//ref=as_li_ss_tl?&linkCode=ll1&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkId=9f5e17a998621d292c7581424afdf4f1

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 28, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also in smarthome deals, one of the Alexa deals today is a "works with Alexa" TP Link smart plug for $17.50 instead of $30.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Does the amazon music subscription that is a cheap one for a single echo include increased upload space for your own music?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pissflaps posted:

Does the amazon music subscription that is a cheap one for a single echo include increased upload space for your own music?
No, none of the Amazon Music subscriptions include that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Pissflaps posted:

No. They didn't even include that in the full service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Heck, I don't think even the Unlimited Storage plan includes music.