Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
So is there only one potential base per system? Sure seems that way.

Edit: Aha. If you drop one of the new signal finders it'll find you others.

Mandatory Assembly fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Played a lot of Survival Mode last night. It does not gently caress around, I died 5 times and still haven't reached my ship.

The UI changes alone are really good. I'm going to go play space LEGOs. I'm glad Hello Games is making a good faith effort.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Captain Invictus posted:

DaveKap in the Steam thread did some helpful rundowns of his experience with the new patch:
Unsarcastic thanks for the wall of text, these are the sort of impressions I wanted to see but I was too lazy to dig up. Looking forward to finally being able to mark my backwater garbage planet with signs so I can find things again. Or maybe help other people find things (ha ha)

Cowman posted:

I played this on my friend's PS4 and it's super chill and I'm thinking of picking it up on PC. How's the port become? I know at first it had some issues with stuttering and stuff but I don't know if they've fixed it.
I heard the framerate is still all over the place on PC, but as usual that could have just been someone with a poo poo computer.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also: I don't fully get why there is so much colored lighting in screenshots of this game. Does it look better in practice? I haven't played it.
It depends on a lot of factors including time of day. A planet that is an ugly sludgy mess at night may look beautiful in daylight and vice versa. I think though really most of it is these guys were set free to do whatever so they abused the hell out of colors, like everyone's first map in Unreal Editor back when that was a thing. poo poo, even the Doom Snapmaps I have seen often have color vomit everywhere for no reason

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Frame rate/pop-in/textures have all been greatly improved on PS4 from what I've seen so far.

They really need to patch in the option to disable "life support low" messages, especially on Survival.

e: Already found quite a few new elements and materials. Also, didn't see anyone else mention, you can now have build your own hydroponics lab, haha

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Procgen. Does this ever stop sounding stupid. Da proc gen

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also: I don't fully get why there is so much colored lighting in screenshots of this game. Does it look better in practice? I haven't played it.
Hello Games did it intentionally, they think it's reminiscent of old sci-if book covers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are a bunch of line items in the patch notes about improving color selection and variety, including one that's literally "decreased frequency of brown" :lol:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

haveblue posted:

There are a bunch of line items in the patch notes about improving color selection and variety, including one that's literally "decreased frequency of brown" :lol:

Too much brown got me down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Brown is objectively the worst color.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

precision posted:

Brown is objectively the worst color.

Trump's America.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I really handed you the 9-iron there, didn't I.

I started over again on Survival, got lucky and found lots of Thamium and had a Shielding Shard, thought I could make it to my ship, and got killed by one of those trap tentacle plants. :mad:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

haveblue posted:

Wow, it really is the Quake to Unreal phenomenon again. Cranky Steve would be proud

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Wow, nice to hear from Hello Games again! The new game modes seem to be superfluous to me, but welp. If you have fun dying over and over again, or absolutely needed an easy mode, there you go I guess. :shrug:

Base building seems interesting, but the idea of buying my own space freighter and juicing it up with as much guns as I can sounds absolutely awesome! I'm seriously considering restarting to see how the new experience is.

But I guess since you can't rename yourself and the game always helpfully names your character after your PSN-name, restarting doesn't really make sense. It's always the same guy/gal, after all. :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This patch makes me a bit sad because it really seems that if Hello Games worked a year more solely on content creation they could have delivered something really cool. Even if they implemented something along the lines of Skyrim's radiant quest generation with a variety of simple space quests people would have been all over this game. In a perfect world they will keep pumping out these patches and slowly turning the thing around but there's no telling what their plans are.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Palpek posted:

This patch makes me a bit sad because it really seems that if Hello Games worked a year more solely on content creation they could have delivered something really cool. Even if they implemented something along the lines of Skyrim's radiant quest generation with a variety of simple space quests people would have been all over this game. In a perfect world they will keep pumping out these patches and slowly turning the thing around but there's no telling what their plans are.
That was basically the feeling I had all along. There were a few questionable choices but most of them pointed to them rushing. I'm guessing they were really low on funds or something and had to push it out or give up. Even the content generation was apparently broken and missing a lot of options that were available, if you can believe that one guy who made his own model viewer for it. I selfishly hope they got enough even after the returns to keep going for a good amount of time, because I don't imagine them getting much going forward at the prices people are willing to pay unless they start making paid DLC.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Skyrim's procedurally generated quests are complete garbage and boring after you do 1 or 2 of them.

If Hello Games had delayed NMS any more than they did, I doubt Sean would've been able to stop navel gazing long enough to focus on content creation. I think exposure to the public and realizing that their poo poo stinks after all has done wonders for getting them focused on content. Granted, that's 100% speculation.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I never jumped on the hype train and plan to enjoy this game when the price drops even further in the winter steam sale. By then there will probably be even more patches for the new UI problems people will complain about in this thread. Looking forward to my ship full of googly-eyed frogs.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Scott Manley took a long, hard look at 1.1. Especially Freighters and base building.

Verdict: Impressive.

Also they finally fixed stacking! All those stupid sheets and other poo poo are apparently now stackable. (Also also apparently, if you used the stacking bug he suggests to stop doing that before patching, or the new patch will destroy the stack.)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The power/shield refill consumables are a bit less useless with being able to stack them, especially with the new quick menu. Even more so on Survival difficulty, I imagine. I'm not sadistic enough to try that mode out for myself though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FactsAreUseless posted:

A lot of elements glow, to make it easier to find them. The way the game works sometimes you're wandering a hilly planet looking for resources, so it kinda helps to have them pop out of the landscape.

In caves, at night, it can be kinda overwhelming, although I like the kinda insane neon-future look of it :krad:

Palpek posted:

Nail -> Head

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Oh sweet No Man's Sky updated with actual content, guess I'll take a look a-

Oh sweet an error message that wasn't there before the update oh well back to Skyrim.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean I dunno if Skyrim or any Bethsada game is the example to use for jokes about bugs in games.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

I mean I dunno if Skyrim or any Bethsada game is the example to use for jokes about bugs in games.

Dunno what you're talking about oh wait Skyrim crashed on my PS3, I have to cut this post short

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How do you do the bounty stuff? I killed a guy who it said had a bounty but there wasn't really any prompt to do anything about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Uh, the update definitely added some variety to the procgen :stare:

e: I've also seen beaches, canyons, underground forests... a lot of things I never saw before.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is it a complete waste of time for me to start a new game in survival? I don't mind deaths and struggling for resources, but I'd hate to spend 5 hours to find myself completely screwed with no way to recover or something.

From a newbie's standpoint it kind of seems like 'survival' is super hard and 'normal' is baby's first space game easy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Survival is super hard and you might have to restart a couple times, but once you figure a few things out (life support only goes down when you move, for example) and learn to prioritize, it's really quite a rush and I'm vastly preferring it to the vanilla game.

I haven't even tried God Mode yet, but I doubt I'd like it. There's no stakes if everything is free.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Survival is super hard and you might have to restart a couple times, but once you figure a few things out (life support only goes down when you move, for example) and learn to prioritize, it's really quite a rush and I'm vastly preferring it to the vanilla game.

I haven't even tried God Mode yet, but I doubt I'd like it. There's no stakes if everything is free.

Yeah, as someone so incompetent he's died multiple times in what now is "normal", I wouldn't have fun with survival, but God Mode sounds boring. It basically removes the "game" part of the game. It's kind of neat if you just want to try out expensive stuff like freighters, I suppose. They should rename it to "Curiousity Mode". :v:

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Effort post incoming.

I finally made it off my starter planet in survival mode, after ten restarts I spawned next to a base with a landing pad and just bought most of what I needed off ships that were coming and going, and then built a bypass chip to call my ship from wherever it was once it was repaired. I am now slowly conquering the galaxy. It's really, really brutally hard, and makes all the game's broken mechanics and bugs way more obvious and infuriating, but for some hosed up reason I'm sort of enjoying it. It's sort of like games used to be.

good
- the potential, but not much more - everything that was already in the game is still here and mostly just as half-assed

annoying
- those big multiple landing-pad bases no longer offer you protection from the environment
- terrain procgen has some really impressive variety in geometry, even on a single planet, but the palette being stuck on super saturated means it all looks samey real quick
- there's still no sense of context or purpose to anything at all, no real 'safe' or 'dangerous' planets/systems
- caves and night time are still bright as day which suuuuuuucks, give me some darkness!
- still no planets with no atmosphere, rings or anything else to make them unique
- space still has asteroids and spaceships *everywhere*

absolutely dumb as poo poo
- flying seems even more autopilot-y, which makes landing on pads to save fuel harder than it should be, which is super lovely given how rare plutonium can be now
- your scanner flat out doesn't work
- space stations/bases still only sell ridiculously small quantities of resources, and everyone who lands sells exactly the same quantities of exactly the same items - the fact you can't use them to stock up on survival resources in a survival game is mindbendingly idiotic

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So if you start doing the Farming stuff one of the things you have to collect is poop.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

So if you start doing the Farming stuff one of the things you have to collect is poop.
Fertilizer?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Like poop crystals. Also you have to kill some animals to get dead animal crystals. Although right after you get both of those things the Farmer does give you plant options to get that stuff without interacting with animals.

Something that's kind of disappointing is that the Armorer really peters out quickly. He gets you a couple of new ship weapons but that's about it before he tells you there's nothing else he can do. Which is just odd because he's got multitools all over the place in his terminal but you can't buy them from him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

muscles like this! posted:

Like poop crystals. Also you have to kill some animals to get dead animal crystals. Although right after you get both of those things the Farmer does give you plant options to get that stuff without interacting with animals.

Something that's kind of disappointing is that the Armorer really peters out quickly. He gets you a couple of new ship weapons but that's about it before he tells you there's nothing else he can do. Which is just odd because he's got multitools all over the place in his terminal but you can't buy them from him.

NMS 1.1: Like Poop Crystals

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Can't check right now, is the new patch out on pc yet or is it still just ps4

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Captain Invictus posted:

Can't check right now, is the new patch out on pc yet or is it still just ps4

It's out on PC.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Finally got a chance to play around with this. I like how the freighter captains personally reward you for driving off pirates now. Bought one of the big wide battleship-looking things to get started, there doesn't seem to be a way to find it again if I fly too far away but at least summoning is free. Making warp cores seems way harder than I remember, is there any way to tell which asteroids have thamium or are we expected to mostly harvest it on planets now?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I bought it when it came out. I played it. I enjoyed it. I was not one of the haters.

This update makes the game better. I am still playing it. I am still enjoying it. I am still not one of the haters.

Let it be known.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

haveblue posted:

Finally got a chance to play around with this. I like how the freighter captains personally reward you for driving off pirates now. Bought one of the big wide battleship-looking things to get started, there doesn't seem to be a way to find it again if I fly too far away but at least summoning is free. Making warp cores seems way harder than I remember, is there any way to tell which asteroids have thamium or are we expected to mostly harvest it on planets now?

When I was meandering about I was getting an even mix of Thamium and non-Thamium asteroids, so maybe you just need to fly around a bit. That's a sample size of one system I've played in since the patch, though. YMMV

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So once you get your feet under you does survival become less grindy and tedious? Having to sit for minutes inside my ship while my hazard shield slowly recharges (or nighttime goes away) is getting old. I'd be ok with this as long as eventually I can have a base or freighter with a farm or whatever to grow/mine some of this stuff for me. Or if I could just mine some asteroids or whatever rather than slowly walk around a planet having to duck into a cave for 3 minutes every 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Survival sure is something. Running and jetpacking both eat up a shitload of life support. I spawned on a radioactive planet and managed to find a few Thaumium plants on my third attempt to get to my ship and made it with some effort. Stuff seems to drop less loot overall, and there's less TO loot it seems, but I'll consider my getting to my ship the victory for the day. Tomorrow: actually fixing and flying the loving thing

• Locked thread