Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Outrail posted:

They could easily have cut down on the number of symbols per letter by using something other than dots and dashes. Even just incorporating a vertical line would half the length of the signals.

Morse is a binary alphabet by design because of how it's delivered.

How would you differentiate between a horizontal or a vertical dash using a Morse Key?

e: fb :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Also the length of the pattern for a given letter is shorter the more frequently the letter is used, by design. I think that partially explains the randomness. The fact that it's such an old system also probably explains it, since there wasn't much thought given to encoding schemes in the 1800s.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Baron Corbyn posted:

How would a vertical line work in transmitting morse code?

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Are you talking about morse code? The code transmitted via telegraph? How is a vertical line differentiated from a dot on a telegraph?
Or is that :thejoke:

flosofl posted:

Morse is a binary alphabet by design because of how it's delivered.

How would you differentiate between a horizontal or a vertical dash using a Morse Key?

e: fb :argh:

:circlefap:

Keep going, I'm so close.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Outrail posted:

Yes. You are quite the Puppet Master.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

When we look to the traditional approach related to the Fibonacci Numbers we see this block diagram on wikipedia:

The first One that you see here is however a enigma in mathematics. What is 1^0? There are different opinions between mathematicians. In the Pelastratic approach this enigmatic first One is composed by two zero's (two background membrane peaks), making a new union that has three layers. That gives next picture:

ONE is a topological union of two zero's where one zero is active - the penetrator - and the other one is a passive peak tube. The passive and active peak have each another origin, here represented by an opposite spiral motion. Since the topological penetration (pelastration) creates three membranes in this union a "space" - with three dimensions - - is created. Now the image of two separating curves may remember you to images of particle collisions in particle colliders like at Cern. See next images about the decay of some fundamental particles.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Lottery of Babylon posted:

When we look to the traditional approach related to the Fibonacci Numbers we see this block diagram on wikipedia:

The first One that you see here is however a enigma in mathematics. What is 1^0? There are different opinions between mathematicians. In the Pelastratic approach this enigmatic first One is composed by two zero's (two background membrane peaks), making a new union that has three layers. That gives next picture:

ONE is a topological union of two zero's where one zero is active - the penetrator - and the other one is a passive peak tube. The passive and active peak have each another origin, here represented by an opposite spiral motion. Since the topological penetration (pelastration) creates three membranes in this union a "space" - with three dimensions - - is created. Now the image of two separating curves may remember you to images of particle collisions in particle colliders like at Cern. See next images about the decay of some fundamental particles.

I was looking for Gurren Lagann gifs because of the Spiral/Anti-Spiral thing and then found this:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

E4C85D38 posted:

The big problem with graph-based methods like that is that even after completely internalizing them, lookup is too slow to copy down code you hear at any appreciable speed. The only way to really get competent at code is to memorize and internalize how each letter 'sounds'.

The graph shows how Morse sequences were assigned for maximum efficiency. More common letters require fewer key presses and of those key presses, more are dots.

You’re not supposed to use the graph for look‐up.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
So from what I get there's top zeros and bottom zeros? Huh.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Fathis Munk posted:

So from what I get there's top zeros and bottom zeros? Huh.

megaman fanfiction has room for all kinds of headcanons

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Erwin posted:

Also the length of the pattern for a given letter is shorter the more frequently the letter is used, by design. I think that partially explains the randomness. The fact that it's such an old system also probably explains it, since there wasn't much thought given to encoding schemes in the 1800s.

It's literally a compression algorithm! The only difference between Morse and modern compression algorithms is that the conversion tables ("compression dictionary") are now recreated ad hoc every time, to reflect the effective symbol frequencies of each message (the most common letter may not be E for example), and that symbols can now be longer than a letter (if a message's most common word is "fart", it's "fart" that will have the shortest encoding, not the letter E). Guy named Huffman came up with it in the 50s and virtually all data compression is still in part based on it

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I can't look at those without seeing Koru

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
The only Morse code I know off-hand is SOS and that's probably the only real use most people would need it for. gently caress, you can send SOS as a smoke signal if you had to.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you have any interest in learning Morse code, there are worse options than this website.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Any signal in groups of three should be recognized by rescuers, from what I've heard. Even like three piles of stones could be enough as a distress signal, as long as it's visible

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Anything to the power of zero is 1, though :psyduck:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

Anything to the power of zero is 1, though :psyduck:

So what is 00?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Platystemon posted:

So what is 00?

Still 1.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

Guys he was just pretending to be that stupid

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
We've been bamboozled! :aaaaa:

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Platystemon posted:

So what is 00?

An indeterminate form. 0x = 0 and x0 = 1, so 00 could be either.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Maybe that too depends on whether it's a penetrator 0 or a penetrated 0! :eng101:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

CellBlock posted:

00 itself is just plain undefined. If you're getting "00" as a limit, then since it's an indeterminate form the actual limit could be anything at all (not just 0 or 1) and you need to look more closely at how the function approaches the limit to see what the actual limit is. (My first instinct is to take the log, rewrite as a fraction, and apply L'Hopital, but it depends on how nice the function in question is.)

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hell yea state machines

where does it start tho?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Powaqoatse posted:

hell yea state machines

where does it start tho?

Hold onto your balls.

Hermsgervørden has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Nov 19, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Operations 0 and 1 are consistent enough, but then 2 doesn't fit the pattern they establish. I might have latched onto a spurious correlation which isn't the actual aaaaaagh I've been nerd sniped haven't I

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i just wanna A->B->C with some detours maybe

this is too much!

gently caress dig og din tilstandsmaskine :((((

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
From Matt Taibbi's recent article on Thomas Friedman's new book:

And Friedman's proposed solution:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A time machine would be a pretty good solution.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Let me guess, "governing smarter" is "scrap all regulations" and "learning faster" is "all public schools should become charter schools".

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CellBlock posted:

What's the limit of x^x as x approaches 0?

fake edit: looks like it's 1.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Nov 28, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Let me guess, "governing smarter" is "scrap all regulations" and "learning faster" is "all public schools should become charter schools".

I don't think you're all that familiar with Thomas Friedman. He's the dumbest columnist in the NYT. Except for Frank Rich, who is amazing in that every single sentence he writes is dumber than the previous one, on an asymptotic trend towards zero intelligence.

My favorite thing about that graph is fixing things the way Friedman wants to requires *literally traveling back in time*.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Oh poo poo, so all this time the solution has been "do things better"? This man is a genius!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

These are wonderful. I mean even at a quick glance they make no sense, but then you add the Laffer style lack of quantification, and then the fact that the Y axis is actually rate of change. Given that we don't know the initial values of Human Adaptability and Technology, whatever the gently caress those would be, there could easily be no problem whatsoever.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Phanatic posted:

My favorite thing about that graph is fixing things the way Friedman wants to requires *literally traveling back in time.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Oh poo poo, so all this time the solution has been "do things better"? This man is a genius!

"Already have been doing things better for several centuries so as to catch up with ourselves now." It's pretty plausible.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Strudel Man posted:

What's the limit of x^x as x approaches 0?

fake edit: looks like it's 1.

Right, limx->0(xx) is 1. That's not the only way to have 00 show up in an equation though, and in other contexts you get other answers.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The previous six months are crucial here.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I don't think you're all that familiar with Thomas Friedman. He's the dumbest columnist in the NYT. Except for Frank Rich, who is amazing in that every single sentence he writes is dumber than the previous one, on an asymptotic trend towards zero intelligence.

This is massively disrespectful to David Brooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is massively disrespectful to David Brooks.

Don't count out Maureen Dowd!