Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

I've heard it's possible for her to show up in B&W

She did in mine . I think the key is blowing off both romance options in the main game .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

admataY posted:

She did in mine . I think the key is blowing off both romance options in the main game .

and not being a bad dad

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

and not being a bad dad

I got the empress ending, someone else I know who also has a kid got the 'bad' ending and i knew right then and there I was never ever leaving my kid with them.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Shannow posted:

I got the empress ending, someone else I know who also has a kid got the 'bad' ending and i knew right then and there I was never ever leaving my kid with them.

I honestly don't know how you get the bad ending unless you're trying.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dumb question but which one is the "bad" ending again?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Apparently if you are too overbearing over the course of the game, after the final mission you hunt down the last Crone for Ciri's medallion, Geralt mentions she's dead, and the ending movie says something like Ciri disappeared and was never heard from again.

I got the witcher ending, it seemed so much more satisfying than the one I saw on YouTube where she just leaves to join the Nilfgaardians.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ainsley McTree posted:

The bad ending is if you're a bad dad; basically, don't encourage her, don't give her any independence, meet with the emperor and accept his money like the loving piece of poo poo you are, you deserve the death glare she gives you, you loving monster.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Apparently if you are too overbearing over the course of the game, after the final mission you hunt down the last Crone for Ciri's medallion, Geralt mentions she's dead, and the ending movie says something like Ciri disappeared and was never heard from again.

I got the witcher ending, it seemed so much more satisfying than the one I saw on YouTube where she just leaves to join the Nilfgaardians.

Oh wow. Who would do this?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad that my genuine reaction (and not just me picking the "correct" choice because I obviously knew it was that) was to tell the Emperor to shove his money up his rear end. I didn't need his coin to motivate me in the first place.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It seemed obvious from the beginning that the Emperor and Nilfgaard were dickheads and it felt right to basically tell the emperor to gently caress off every chance I got, starting with not curtsying to him at the very beginning.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Grandmaster armor doesn't pay for itself you know

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It seemed obvious from the beginning that the Emperor and Nilfgaard were dickheads and it felt right to basically tell the emperor to gently caress off every chance I got, starting with not curtsying to him at the very beginning.

If you get a chance to fluster a manservant, you take it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MMF Freeway posted:

Yes, although I never replaced the Iris since its special effect is cool and it still holds up just fine through B&W.

Cool. And yea, it looks awesome, love that Cossack style.

I wouldn't mind replacing the Viper armor, as it looks just like the basic armor, but with a different skin.

I felt that Empress Ciri was the best choice. It was obvious being raised by Geralt and Yenn clearly gave Ciri a love of common people that other leaders would lack.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 29, 2016

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Do this, it's the best part of this thread!

The Bloody Baron storyline was excellent. Everyone in it is human and understandable, even the Baron himself. When he dotes a bit on Ciri it really helps to humanize him in that vein. Also, he gives a place to Greta in the kitchen. I ended up with his wife dying, him hanging himself, and the daughter in the witch hunters. It was an extremely well-written conclusion in which I was not happy, but impressed with the story itself. You just know after talking to his thugs while he's hanging from the tree that even though he was a drunken, PTSD addled rear end in a top hat who probably deserved what he got, things are probably going to get a lot worse without him doing the bullying of the men necessary to keep them in line. Also, nobody seems ready to make the occasional tender-hearted decisions he did. You just know that it's going to get worse and even though you tried your best, some of it is your fault for interfering. War is hell and sometimes there are no good decisions.

I'm actually way further than that, but those were my reactions. Also, killing Whoreson was so satisfying. No way that motherfucker was walking out of there alive.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
How much does the emperor give you btw? I couldn't let down Ciri, but drat does collecting all sets of witcher armor/swords get expensive...

Also, is there any way to get Crach's, Dikstra's (sp), or the emperors help at Kaer Morhen?

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 29, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I think he mentions in the beginning it's like 2000 crowns? gently caress all.

new phone who dis posted:

I'm actually way further than that, but those were my reactions. Also, killing Whoreson was so satisfying. No way that motherfucker was walking out of there alive.

Killing Whoreson felt a bit odd to me, I killed him for torturing and killing all the women that are arranged around his house, but Geralt just mentions Ciri.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 29, 2016

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I played the game without really reading anything about it--I didn't realize how many possible outcomes there were. I just did whatever felt like the right choice, and the Witcher ending seemed like the right ending for me. Djikstra and Radovid both sucked, Yennifer seemed like the most natural fit for Geralt (though I was trying to get in the Scottish princess's pants too), gently caress that tree monster thing, and Ciri clearly was the young Witcher the world needed. A truly great game that a minor difference in how drunk I was at the time I made those decisions would have totally different but no less interesting and impactful results.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh yeah. 2k was half of it. The economy is weird with price disparities between food and beer vs custom made weaponry and armor vs magic items which are all over the place vs haircuts and hookers, with 4000 being something you can retire off of. That's only enough for 200 Hookers!

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 29, 2016

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Killing Whoreson felt a bit odd to me, I killed him for torturing and killing all the women that are arranged around his house, but Geralt just mentions Ciri.

Geralt is a weird and unemotional turd for a lot of reasons and that can make some conversations really unrewarding, but that's just his character I guess. It's strange to me that there would even be an option to let Whoreson live within the context of Geralts character, though.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nothing is funnier to me than the one Nilfgaard general guy who somehow thinks Geralt thinks he's really cool and his best friend. Like he keeps showing up and he's always like "oh hey buddy! How's it going, wanna know some sweet exposition about the war effort?" "I don't know you dude" "Yeah it's going great, everything is great, aren't we great friends? My you're so good at riding horses maybe you could ride my--and he's gone."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Nothing is funnier to me than the one Nilfgaard general guy who somehow thinks Geralt thinks he's really cool and his best friend. Like he keeps showing up and he's always like "oh hey buddy! How's it going, wanna know some sweet exposition about the war effort?" "I don't know you dude" "Yeah it's going great, everything is great, aren't we great friends? My you're so good at riding horses maybe you could ride my--and he's gone."

I love that guy because he's an invading military authority figure who somehow thinks that he's gonna be able to get on with the people he is occupying and can't see why the power disparity between them should get in the way of people recognizing what a good dude he is and they should totally be friends but one wrong word and he can have you killed or sent to prison forever but let's hang out and shoot the poo poo!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

new phone who dis posted:

The Bloody Baron storyline was excellent. Everyone in it is human and understandable, even the Baron himself. When he dotes a bit on Ciri it really helps to humanize him in that vein. Also, he gives a place to Greta in the kitchen. I ended up with his wife dying, him hanging himself, and the daughter in the witch hunters. It was an extremely well-written conclusion in which I was not happy, but impressed with the story itself. You just know after talking to his thugs while he's hanging from the tree that even though he was a drunken, PTSD addled rear end in a top hat who probably deserved what he got, things are probably going to get a lot worse without him doing the bullying of the men necessary to keep them in line. Also, nobody seems ready to make the occasional tender-hearted decisions he did. You just know that it's going to get worse and even though you tried your best, some of it is your fault for interfering. War is hell and sometimes there are no good decisions.

Bah I wish I hadn't read all that. I'm still working on that quest and am up to the point where you find the daughter and tell the Baron that she told him to gently caress off. In the process of finding the wife now.

Also that baby was some of the most hosed up poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jerusalem posted:

I love that guy because he's an invading military authority figure who somehow thinks that he's gonna be able to get on with the people he is occupying and can't see why the power disparity between them should get in the way of people recognizing what a good dude he is and they should totally be friends but one wrong word and he can have you killed or sent to prison forever but let's hang out and shoot the poo poo!

I actually really like Morvran Voorhis for this reason. He acts naive, but he's also a lot smarter than he lets on. If you take Ciri to see Emhyr, he and Geralt have a conversation outside where he elaborates on the important political movements happening back in Nilfgaard. He plays the fool so well because a lot of his reactions are genuine, but he's also got deep pockets with the merchant guilds.

It's really no wonder he canonically becomes Emhyr's successor as the next Emperor.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

This scene is brought up consistently as the worst in the game at how the dialogue does not match what is on the screen AT ALL.

"You hurt Ciri!" *Ridiculously bloody hookers swaying from the ceiling on meat hooks* "Sorry I just can't let this go because you hurt my friends..." *KIlls him, shot of dead bloody hooker in tub*. "yea thats the reason"

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you haven't seen it, you should at least see youtube the conversation where Geralt doesn't kill him, because it's also pretty great and totally in line with Geralt's character.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLSugeCp4Mg Here it is. As always, beware of spoilers in the recommended videos.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

insider posted:

This scene is brought up consistently as the worst in the game at how the dialogue does not match what is on the screen AT ALL.

"You hurt Ciri!" *Ridiculously bloody hookers swaying from the ceiling on meat hooks* "Sorry I just can't let this go because you hurt my friends..." *KIlls him, shot of dead bloody hooker in tub*. "yea thats the reason"

Even odder is that the Polygon article that accused the game of sexism doesn't even mention the scene. Like how can you be upset about Ciri's outfit and then completely miss out on the invisibility of violence towards sex workers? :psyduck:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Bah I wish I hadn't read all that. I'm still working on that quest and am up to the point where you find the daughter and tell the Baron that she told him to gently caress off. In the process of finding the wife now.
Don't worry, there's another possible ending.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you don't go to see the Emperor you miss out on few of the chances to be a good dad and it's actually really easy to inadvertently be a bad dad and get the bad ending.

If you go to see the Emperor it's basically obvious freebie choices, though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The combination I most often see as getting Ciri "killed" is 1) Say "You don't need to be good at everything" 2) See the Lodge with her 3) Don't let her trash the lab

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

3) Don't let her trash the lab

How is it even possible to do that though (not let her)? I'm fairly certain if you made a conscious choice to not let her, your body would reject your mind's obviously incorrect instructions and have your hands make the correct movements on the controller in order to do the right thing (encourage her to do it) :colbert:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

How is it even possible to do that though (not let her)? I'm fairly certain if you made a conscious choice to not let her, your body would reject your mind's obviously incorrect instructions and do the right thing (encourage her to do it) :colbert:

You're a dumb idiot dad that listens to elves about how to treat your adult daughter?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
To be fair a lot of the choices, eapecially the ones that don't have the timer going down, don't seem like they'd affect that much. But it's the Witcher 3 so they do and you need to think about your actions!!

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

1) Say "You don't need to be good at everything"

Choosing this is especially bad, since the good and proper answer results in a very :3: moment.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you get a chance to fluster a manservant, you take it

To be honest, when he implied he'd be punished harshly, I got kinda worred,, because I was half expecting to come back and he'd have a limp or something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Joda posted:

To be honest, when he implied he'd be punished harshly, I got kinda worred,, because I was half expecting to come back and he'd have a limp or something.
That would have been pretty cool actually. An early lesson on consequences of your actions.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
This is so good. I was rolling my eyes at another ghost character, but Vlodomir....

"Come on, my rhubarb." [Shani_stare.jpg]

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
[Walks around with both hands on waist] "Hello world - I am back!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When they go up to the loft of the barn and Shani invites him to try and flirt with her and he gets all flustered, and she's all,"Yeah that's what I thought :smug:" was so great.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Vlodomir possessing Geralt is great because the devs basically made a long quest making fun of how grumpy their main protagonist is in contrast. Also that dancing.

HoS pro-tip #1 often repeated itt: when you get to the wedding the first thing you should do is lose to the halflings playing Gwent. You won't get anything for winning but the reward for losing adds a lot to the quest.

HoS pro-tip (or not?) #2: when there's an option to gift something to Shani choose wine instead of other things. Something unheard-of in AAA gaming will happen thanks to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Vlodimir owns, Shani owns, that quest owns.