Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

My brothers ran down the clock intentionally one time and it freaked me out so bad I had to leave the room. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Sometimes I wonder if they were inspired by Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. There's an eerie parallel world consisting of a city surrounded by a wall, with a clock tower. And while it's almost certainly a coincidence, would you look at that US cover :stare:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting the Clock itself. The bell is this echoing gloomy chime that is anything but pleasant, and when it starts tolling repeatedly during the final six hours it is downright depressing.

I love how you can hear the clock no matter where you are in the world. If you're in a cave or dungeon, it sounds slightly distorted, and if you're underwater, it's all warbly, but the toll of the bells reaches you no matter where you go. You cannot escape your fate. You cannot hide from time. :tinfoil:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I still find myself wondering why time stands still behind the ground level door of the clock tower.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I just told me myself it's a place between worlds.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://youtu.be/Lz1funFH4RY

Interview with the people behind Terrible Fate.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kassad posted:

Sometimes I wonder if they were inspired by Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. There's an eerie parallel world consisting of a city surrounded by a wall, with a clock tower. And while it's almost certainly a coincidence, would you look at that US cover :stare:

I think the main inspiration for the game was Groundhog Day.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Oh yeah, for sure. It's just that specific parts of the game (like Clocktown being a walled town with a big clock tower, or not being able to leave it initially) remind me of that book. But it could easily just be coincidence.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of which, Majora's Mask was just added to the North American Wii U Virtual Console.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Majora's Mask sounds like such a bad idea on paper. It's also kind of one of those ideas I'm kinda surprised Nintendo signed off on. Although I'm sure the budget having "REUSE ASSETS" at the top of it probably made it a bit of an easier sell.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

well why not posted:

Majora's Mask sounds like such a bad idea on paper. It's also kind of one of those ideas I'm kinda surprised Nintendo signed off on. Although I'm sure the budget having "REUSE ASSETS" at the top of it probably made it a bit of an easier sell.

I think it was the opposite, actually. Nintendo told the dev team "make a sequel to OoT on a year, reuse assets I guess to speed things up."

And so the dev team came up with the idea of Majora's Mask to keep development time down.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Pretty much every time someone consulted Miyamoto with a project feeling that it was probably too crazy he'd tell them to just make it crazier.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

well why not posted:

Majora's Mask sounds like such a bad idea on paper.

The idea on paper is "What if we made a Zelda game that was all cute sub-quests dealing with the funny NPCs?" which is conceivably the greatest idea in video game history. Like I wouldn't want every Zelda game being that, but I wouldn't mind if did it more often.

e: Not every game needs 8 dungeons and a Gannon to be interesting.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 26, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I think it was the opposite, actually. Nintendo told the dev team "make a sequel to OoT on a year, reuse assets I guess to speed things up."

And so the dev team came up with the idea of Majora's Mask to keep development time down.

It started as one of the two expansions for OoT on the 64DD (the one with the unicorn fountain, I think), before Eiji Aonuma asked Miyamoto why they were just redesigning the same dungeons again. Then Miyamoto said 'sure, you can direct a new one, but you've only got a year'. Every part of MM's development came from trying to shave down development time while still making the game more than a retread.

The other expansion became Master Quest. I'm not passing judgement one way or the other on that one, but there you go.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Gotta be honest, I'm not sure why Nintendo never revisited the concept. Maybe it's the initial backlash? Whatever the reason, I'm not sure they could ever recreate that one-of-a-kind atmosphere.

Like, seriously. A rather dense overworld with NPC schedules, time travel and loving with those schedules through various ways. Crank that up to eleven and you might not even need dungeons to have an amazing game. (Please never stop having dungeons.) Hell, I could see an entire game playing out like this in nothing but a town! Where's my Manipulate NPC Timelines For My Nefarious Purposes Simulator?!

Hire me Nintendo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

Gotta be honest, I'm not sure why Nintendo never revisited the concept. Maybe it's the initial backlash? Whatever the reason, I'm not sure they could ever recreate that one-of-a-kind atmosphere.

Like, seriously. A rather dense overworld with NPC schedules, time travel and loving with those schedules through various ways. Crank that up to eleven and you might not even need dungeons to have an amazing game. (Please never stop having dungeons.) Hell, I could see an entire game playing out like this in nothing but a town! Where's my Manipulate NPC Timelines For My Nefarious Purposes Simulator?!

Hire me Nintendo

Majora's Mask got an absolutely insane backlash. It's a lot better received now but at the time it was a bit of a fiasco. It sold MUCH worse than OOT (which is at least partially to blame on the RAM pack to be fair) and "Majora's Mask Time System" because a curse word for like a decade afterwards. Being the followup to OOT already set high expectations but following it up with a weird experimental game that was also heavily recycled, 'only had 4 dungeons' and expected to repeat a bunch of content was (at the time) batshit crazy.

I'm glad it got made though because it owns.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People are huge babies about time systems almost as a rule*, and MM's one of the more lenient examples since the 72 hours aren't particularly stringent with regards to any singular goal and can be reset at any time.

*me included since it got me to drop Lightning Returns first time around

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 26, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I think Majora's Mask is one of those games that is greatly improved the second time around. While today, you know what you're getting into, you know that there are four dungeons, you know how the sidequests work, etc., a first time player doesn't know anything about the game or how it's put together. The time system sort of discourages exploration, since you lose all your resources at the end of a cycle, no matter what. Any treasures you find are going to disappear, and you have no idea if when you explore, you're going to end up in a small side area, or a giant sidequest that could waste a day and reset all the progress on your half-finished dungeon you wanted to take a break from.

Every player, after resetting after beating Ikana Swamp for the first time and noticing everything being gloomy and reset, is going to say "ugh, I have to do that again?" and put the game down.

Knowing how the game works, it's a lot of fun, but it's not kind to first-time players, and I can definitely see it being incredibly harsh and unfun for someone who just wanted Ocarina of Time's sequel.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The core idea of an x-day cycle with NPC schedules came from Yoshiaki Koizumi - basically, he was working on pre-production for an original game with a similar concept when Aonuma requested he help out on Zelda, so he agreed with the proviso that they reuse the ideas from his original game and integrate them into the new Zelda.

Aonuma and Koizumi divvied up a lot of the work on geographical lines, apparently - "everything past x line is y's job", that sort of thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Torquemadras posted:

Hire me Nintendo

The closest thing is probably the first Dead Rising, though replace song of time with killing yourself.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

greatn posted:

The closest thing is probably the first Dead Rising, though replace song of time with killing yourself.

actually the convicts learned the song of time, except it's Gone Guru

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The interesting thing about Majora's Mask is how it feels like a bunch of improvements for Ocarina that still haven't been implemented in 3D Zeldas. It's not the time mechanic, but the chance to get involved with the lives of people in every corner of the world. Skyward Sword tries this, but it feels like a total afterthought.

I've said it before, but I like saying it, if Nintendo we're to mash up OOT and MM, I'd buy it immediately.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Nintendo will probably never make something like MM again because the Nintendo that made MM doesn't really exist anymore imo

OoT and MM were both mindblowing pioneers of video games for their own reasons when they came out. Nintendo, and the AAA game industry as a whole, has grown a lot more conservative since then, preferring to iterate on what works instead of developing something brand new, with Splatoon being basically the only exception in recent years. That's not to say that they don't make good games anymore! They just aren't nearly as experimental and creative as they used to be.

I'll say this, though: the fact that Splatoon and BOTW are both being managed by a young, fresh team of developers gives me a lot of hope for Nintendo's future.

Plus theres the fact that yeah, the game got torpedoed at launch, and I wouldn't be surprised if the execs at nintendo still think it's unpopular. Remember how everyone though Earthbound wasn't coming to VC because of copyright issues, and it was actually because NoJ legit had no clue the game had a massive legacy in the west

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 26, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Nintendo isn't going to make a Zelda game that's just like Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask just for the sake of it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

youcallthatatwist posted:

Nintendo has no talent.

Yup.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like that they often experiment with new stuff rather than trying to rebottle success, but I do think even a non-Zelda game that focuses on like a weekly cycle of a medium-sized world that you can reset and play mini-games to solve people's problems would be pretty cool, or even one in which saving one person causes huge problems for another, and you can build your perfect version of the world, depending on your preferences.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I think I'm just about at the end of Skyward Sword and I love it. There have only been two things that I really disliked. The first would be battling The Imprisoned more than once (I'm at the third and what i hope will be last fight) (I know it's a five year old game and I know that it isn't a plot point or anything but I want to cover my butt). The other is the Spiral Charge trial which seemed sort of pointless and was the only time the motion controls felt frustrating.

Other than that, I can honestly say that I've enjoyed Skyward Sword more than any other 3D Zelda (I've played TP and WW, in both cases the WiiU HD versions).

Going to have to go back and re-play the Oracle games as well as Awakening to really see where it ranks but with the exception of those two gripes I've really really enjoyed SS. I also recently picked up OOT and I'm excited to dig into that.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I really liked SS too when I played it as a kid. I replayed the first few hours recently and I wonder if my opinion on it will end up changing if/when I get back to it. I cant believe I ever thought this game was well-written, lmao. Also it's hilarious in hindsight how much Fi's role is literally "restate whatever the last character said, except in a boring, """"technical"""" way"

The SS devs did not trust the player to find their own way at all, and it really shows. It messes with the sense of exploration a lot, imo.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

youcallthatatwist posted:

I really liked SS too when I played it as a kid

:prepop:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I like that post. I mean, yeah, I feel the cold bony hands of death grasping for my soul. But kids still like Nintendo, so something is going right.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The weird thing about Fi is, from a purely technical standpoint, she's by far the most knowledgeable Adventure Assistant™ in Zelda history. She has multiple tiers of information on basically every enemy, NPC, item, location, boss, and puzzle in the game. It's just that actually getting to this information is such a slog that no one ever sees it. Press the Fi button, watch an animation, wait for Fi to ask what you want, navigate a menu, navigate another menu, maybe possibly learn something helpful narrated to you very slowly. A single use of Fi can pause the action for 15-20 seconds, and feel like even longer. A more intuitive UI with more immediate options, the ability to speed up her text, and an option to turn off her gameplay interruptions so she is seen as more of a helpful assistant than an ever-present nuisance could've really helped her and SS as a whole.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spergatory posted:

The weird thing about Fi is, from a purely technical standpoint, she's by far the most knowledgeable Adventure Assistant™ in Zelda history. She has multiple tiers of information on basically every enemy, NPC, item, location, boss, and puzzle in the game. It's just that actually getting to this information is such a slog that no one ever sees it. Press the Fi button, watch an animation, wait for Fi to ask what you want, navigate a menu, navigate another menu, maybe possibly learn something helpful narrated to you very slowly. A single use of Fi can pause the action for 15-20 seconds, and feel like even longer. A more intuitive UI with more immediate options, the ability to speed up her text, and an option to turn off her gameplay interruptions so she is seen as more of a helpful assistant than an ever-present nuisance could've really helped her and SS as a whole.

yes

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also, Fi dispenses so much unsolicited, unhelpful advice that there's absolutely no motivation to dig for more.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

I like that post. I mean, yeah, I feel the cold bony hands of death grasping for my soul. But kids still like Nintendo, so something is going right.

It was more the idea of so much time passing since that game came out that someone would refer to it as "when I was a kid"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Minish Cap episode of Boss Keys is out:

https://youtu.be/KEVJXqV7XMc

Probably the best and most in depth one yet, and he's rejiggered his graph system.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/803376056107417601

gently caress, I'll take it!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Those seem early this year.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A BotW preview at the Game Awards? Have I entered a time warp into the year 2014?

If so, I need to warn all you guys about 2016 because hoo boy that year gets real fuckin bad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Is this the show that Doritos Pope hosts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is this the show that Doritos Pope hosts?

Yes, he produces it.