Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

:same:

I don't understand the need to refer to themselves in the third person, and their inability to convey which person in the story 'he' or 'she' is actually referring to (is it the author, or one of the fictitious characters?) means I have to read each sentence multiple times in order to get even a basic idea of what's going on. And then I give up. It's amongst the worst creative writing I've ever read.

Luckily for you, most of them seem to switch from third to first person halfway through a tale or sooner even, because they are so awful at writing that they can't stay consistent on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

life is killing me posted:

Luckily for you, most of them seem to switch from third to first person halfway through a tale or sooner even, because they are so awful at writing that they can't stay consistent on that.

True. But that just makes me even more confused :psyduck:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The rule was that you were supposed to use "this troper" to qualify if you inserted your own opinion into an article, but because they're morons, they took it too far.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The rule was that you were supposed to use "this troper" to qualify if you inserted your own opinion into an article, but because they're morons, they took it too far.

The original rule was already too far into the land of dumb-rear end.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Maw posted:

I think it was some dumb rule where you weren't allowed to write about yourself but writing 'This Troper' meant you weren't writing about yourself anymore, although I can't find anything to back that up anywhere now.

Yeah it was just a perfectly troper way of following the letter but not the spirit of the rule. "I didn't specifically say 'I' so I'm not really talking about me!"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The original original rule was not to write anything in the first person.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tunicate posted:

The original original rule was not to write anything in the first person.

Which is insanely stupid.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
The "no I" rule was because they didnt want people talking about themselves in the main articles. People started writing "this troper" to get around it but it was still discouraged. Then I guess it became a meme or something because people still typed like that in troper tales, a place they set aside specifically for talking about yourself, where there was no reason for it anymore

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Law Cheetah posted:

The "no I" rule was because they didnt want people talking about themselves in the main articles. People started writing "this troper" to get around it but it was still discouraged. Then I guess it became a meme or something because people still typed like that in troper tales, a place they set aside specifically for talking about yourself, so there was no reason for it anymore

Didn't something like this happen in E/D with people starting posts with "I'm not a Darfur war orphan but..."

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Decrepus posted:

Didn't something like this happen in E/D with people starting posts with "I'm not a Darfur war orphan but..."

That was just a way to make posters read the forum rules. For a while, if the OP didn't compare themselves with a Darfur war orphan, they got sent to kitty jail.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

axolotl farmer posted:

That was just a way to make posters read the forum rules. For a while, if the OP didn't compare themselves with a Darfur war orphan, they got sent to kitty jail.

Interesting

The point I guess being to force people to albeit briefly put their problems in scope?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Ugggh yeah. But then people in the other sub-fora write about pumping their anuses out of their bodies so who needs E/N anyway :shrug:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/YAFantasyFan/status/803402391005622273

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
TBF, the poster is a fan of YA fiction.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

:how:

I'm so caring and selfless that I write a novel on FB about it

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

(sees an (i believe) muslim woman) SUP KEESHA

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Suuuuure an "old friend". Have to put that in there so I don't seem racist myself.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
And an obligatory big black man who isn't as scary as you would expect (NOT RACIST!!!).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If someone shouted at me calling me a different name and then started vibrating I think I'd get up and move. What is with people and the "literally shaking" stuff? You can convey that you were emotional without making yourself sound like a baby reacting like you had a near-death experience for doing something as mundane as saying hello to a stranger.

Also my money is on the harasser getting off on the next stop because that was his stop, not because he was scared of the shaking woman and the made up affable large black man.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

And then Keesha detonated the bomb in her purse.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If someone shouted at me calling me a different name and then started vibrating I think I'd get up and move. What is with people and the "literally shaking" stuff? You can convey that you were emotional without making yourself sound like a baby reacting like you had a near-death experience for doing something as mundane as saying hello to a stranger.

I called out an rear end in a top hat at a mcdonalds for being a horrible jerk to the cashiers (called one a bitch for trying to explain to him why it took 'so long' for his food during the lunchtime rush) and I was shaking because I have exxxtreme anxiety :( also gently caress that guy

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

The Snoo posted:

I called out an rear end in a top hat at a mcdonalds for being a horrible jerk to the cashiers (called one a bitch for trying to explain to him why it took 'so long' for his food during the lunchtime rush) and I was shaking because I have exxxtreme anxiety :( also gently caress that guy

Same, except I commiserate to the unfortunate person behind the counter loudly enough that the jerk walking away can hear, because I'm a passive-aggressive doof like that. Also I care more about cheering up the cashier than scolding the jerk, because they're not going to change anyway.

Never been shaking while doing it though.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The phrasing makes it sound like the shouting woman was actually a Big Black Man when Our Hero turned to look.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

The Snoo posted:

I get the loving shakes if they hear me wrong at the loving register and I have to correct my order because my severe anxiety disorder remains unmedicated, tbh

I don't try and brag about it as if it shows how intensely I experience things or whatever these people think they're doing

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

I get the loving shakes if they hear me wrong at the loving register and I have to correct my order because my severe anxiety disorder remains unmedicated, tbh

I don't try and brag about it as if it shows how intensely I experience things or whatever these people think they're doing

not gonna lie, once I started crying because I accidentally ordered something that was like 2x more expensive than what I wanted and we were tight on money :hfive:

I hate how bad shaking uncontrollably feels, even if it's just my hands or something. it just happens and it's so weird. severe anxiety is fun

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Cousin

quote:

This has happened to this troper twice; both times with the same younger cousin. About six months ago, I was house-sitting for my aunt and uncle while they were on a second honeymoon trip. They left instructions that my cousin (who had just turned 14) was allowed to go on dates as long as I was chaperoning. In addition, they basically gave me veto power over whom she was allowed to go out with. The night after they left, she said she wanted to go out with a guy she said she met over My Space whom she said was 16. I gave my tentative approval. While she was in the shower, the guy showed up. The guy in question was at least 6'3 and had a linebacker build. I invited him inside, gave him a soda, and casually asked him how old he was. "Eighteen," he pops right back at me. He seemed like a nice guy and he didn't try to hide his age, so I let him off easy saying that my cousin's parents probably wouldn't be happy seeing her go out with somebody in the quasi-legal category; he understood and left. I popped my head in the bathroom and told my cousin, "Sorry kiddo, you're date's canceled. If you don't give me a hard time about it I'll order a pizza and we can go rent a movie." It was hard to tell through the curtain, but I'm pretty sure she didn't mean most of what she said after that. "But if you do give me a hard time, I'll tell your mom and dad you're trying to jailbait yourself over the internet." She was alot more amicable afterwards....

Speech

quote:

I've never delivered this speech for my sister, since she hasn't yet started dating. However, I have honed my skills on speeches to several close friends love interests. To explain, I don't have many friends, even fewer close ones, and most of them are female. The first time I gave the speech the other guy didn't believe me, since I was 5'8 and nerdy, and he was 6'2 and a rugby player. When he hit her I tracked him down in the middle of a school day, waited until there were no teachers around, announced I was there, and proceeded to beat the tar out of him in an entirely fair fight. The second and third time I gave the speech, people believed me. The fourth time was in sixth form, to a new guy who didn't know me and din't believe me. The same thing happened, just in case people had forgotten what messing with my friends led to. Being motivated by righteous anger can really up your chances in a fight.

Bruises

quote:

This Troper was once in an unfortunate relationship with a guy who, while he had his good moments, had bad ones almost whenever they were alone. Although Dad gave The Speech to every guy I dated, he had no reason to put action to words until then. Suffice it to say that when he found out the bruises weren't from hiking, he took his hunting rifle and a bag of loose change and paid said douche boyfriend a visit. Yes, he actually used a bag of coins. It broke during the 'talk' and he made the guy pick the change up and get a new bag. Did I mention he's former Air Force, now considered a 'New Age-y' intellectual?
The second time, I gave the speech to my younger sister, who was dating some prick from Theater Club. Granted, I always give them that speech, but - like my dad - I hadn't a time to use it, since my threat was more like an understated "Someday you'll probably break up with her, or she'll dump you. But if I find out that you've hurt her, hope that the cops find me before I find you." Since my sister's the collected, serious one, seeing her in tears hammered on my Berserk Button and I felt compelled to do something. Thus it was that this pacifistic Troper took up Mom's trusty hardwood bat and paid the boy a little visit after rehearsal. In my defense, he deserved it, and I did give him the chance to apologize. How was I to know he was playing play Marius the next day?

Tree

quote:

This troper took his sister's boyfriend outside for a while and gave him this speech. While this troper was chopping down a twenty foot oak tree with an ax. After felling it, this troper asked his sister's boyfriend to move the tree, which he failed at. Than this troper hauled and physically lifted the tree onto his shoulder to move it away. This troper simply told the boy friend to remember the tree if he ever hurt her.

Haircuts

quote:

This troper, as part of his plan to adapt a new, more Bishonen-like look for the new semester, highlighted his hair red; said hair was split down the center at the time, required extensive combing to get just right, and sometimes he just couldn't get it right, making styling his hair a Luck Based Mission. Then two of his friends recommended to Ray that he get a haircut to match his hair color. So they took him to a beauty salon that specializes in more "Asian" haircuts, where he got a new haircut consisting of a bang going towards his right and the back of his hair being upright and kinda spiky, and the friends he went with liked it. On top of that, it was easier to style and maintain than his old haircut. Sadly, out of the dozens of friends he has, only 4 people have commented on his new hairdo.

Weapons

quote:

This troper is now no longer allowed to use weapons during mess-around sparing matches with his friends, due to his hobby of making DIY weapons that look like normal, mundane items. Such as a driving glove wired to a camera capacitor and some foil to act as a tazer glove, or using powdered sugar and a lighter to blow extremely low-heat fire. Honestly, it's more to see the look on their faces than for any type of effectiveness.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

What the gently caress is with TV tropes thinking "I/my family commit felony assault/conspiracy to murder and that's charming and epic!" all the time? Do they just not remember that the police exist and would be called especially if someone had bruises all over from being beat with a bag of loving coins?

Also holy loving lmao at "Haircuts" owning himself this hard, he can't even look good in his own stdh story

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
That haircut story is really something else.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Khazar-khum posted:

This has happened to this troper twice; both times with the same younger cousin.

Ooh boy was I afraid where this one was gonna go.

Tropers trying to look ultra badass will never not be amusing to me.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Khazar-khum posted:

Haircuts

"Sadly, out of the dozens of friends he has"

Haha here's the real stdh.txt

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Every single one of these losers.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

System Metternich posted:

I still can't decide if thinking a barbecue lighter is badass, or photoshopping a lovely tattoo is my favourite part of this

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I for one like the fingerless gloves and fedora.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm wondering how long he worked on the angle so the shadow of the lighter made that stripe down his face from his eye.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That's make-up I think.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Fathis Munk posted:

That's make-up I think.

Or sharpie, more likely

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Isn't that a meme. I swear I've seen the same concept used with identical wording and set-ups before.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

System Metternich posted:

If you keep running your mouth, I'll loving light some candles swear on me mum!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

poptart_fairy posted:

Isn't that a meme. I swear I've seen the same concept used with identical wording and set-ups before.

It kinda is but I think that is one of the oldest ones. Might be the first???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

some tough cool troper posted:

Being motivated by righteous anger can really up your chances in a fight.
No it can't and it's super sad to see page after page of people who, if they even actually fought someone, probably started crying and flailing at them until the other person felt bad for them and left.