Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

Also, for college sports Mike Kelly (no relation to Dan, though Dan Kelly did regularly call Tiger football in the '60s/'70s before the hockey season started) at Mizzou is probably the only guy I know at a P5 school that does both their football and basketball games on radio. He's also one of those guys everyone loves.

Tony Caridi does this for WVU and is very good, his color commenters on the other hand are pretty trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

C. Everett Koop posted:

You're talking Seattle guys and didn't mention Kevin Calabro?

I love Calabro, but he hasn't had much to do in Seattle since the Sonics left. He's basically been a freelancer after that, doing NBA games on ESPN Radio and working with Pac-12 Network. His last major Seattle assignment was calling the Sounders in their first MLS year, which predictably went badly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/kevin-harlans-play-by-play-radio-call-of-the-mnf-idiot-1786562558

He's largely a national broadcaster these days but shout out to my man Kevin Harlan for an amazing radio call of some goober on the field of an otherwise lovely LA/SF game.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Benne posted:

I love Calabro, but he hasn't had much to do in Seattle since the Sonics left. He's basically been a freelancer after that, doing NBA games on ESPN Radio and working with Pac-12 Network. His last major Seattle assignment was calling the Sounders in their first MLS year, which predictably went badly.

He's a full time broadcaster for the Blazers now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Florio says the NFL may look at reducing or (god willing) doing away with the Thursday night games

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Since this would be a good idea, this likely means that odds are 50/50 that instead Goodell will add a second weekly Thursday Night Football game.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Crazy Ted posted:

Since this would be a good idea, this likely means that odds are 50/50 that instead Goodell will add a second weekly Thursday Night Football game.

You're thinking too small

DIVISION SERIES

For example:

NFC West
Niners play Seahawks, Thursday Night Football
Rams play Cardinals, Thursday Night Football

the following week:
Niners play Rams, Wednesday Night Football
Cardinals play Seahawks, Wednesday Night Football

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Spoeank posted:

You're thinking too small

DIVISION SERIES

For example:

NFC West
Niners play Seahawks, Thursday Night Football
Rams play Cardinals, Thursday Night Football

the following week:
Niners play Rams, Wednesday Night Football
Cardinals play Seahawks, Wednesday Night Football

OUR SUPER SECRET MARKET FOCUS GROUP RESEARCH OF THREE PEOPLE ALL RELATED TO ME SAID THE FANS REALLY WANT IT!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think this is a good idea.

I always felt Thursday was best for random rear end ACC matchup (and formerly Big East). Seriously, those were really fun to follow on a week to week basis, a great "appetizer".

The NFL really needs to rethink how their schedule is period. I've whined about it before, but RedZone after 4:15 is complete and utter poo poo. Not to mention the fact that the days they could have those Thursday and Saturday games (December)? Well..they no longer do that...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think they'll do some boring half-measure like expanding to two bye weeks, but teams only have their byes before and after their TNF game. So they can keep the every-week, every-team-plays-on-Thursday schedule while still pretending to care about player safety with the extra rest.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
They need to get over their allergy to eastern time zone games not playing at 1 pm local time and it would go a long way

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

The UFC wants $450m over ten years for their next rights fee. That's not really a huge shock considering they do solid numbers on tv and (usually) gangbusters on PPV. This would be a near 300 percent increase over their current deal, which is like $115M over seven. With ESPN in decline, who the hell even takes a shot at that price? NBC maybe? UFC has their own fightpass platform that has made huge leaps in the recent years so I can't imagine them leveraging NBC Sports' online platform in any meaningful way. I just can't see them getting that kind of deal unless a wild card like Time Warner (with TBS/TNT) comes in.

What I find completely shocking is the news that they're going to give up their production to whoever gets the contract. I always felt their production was absolutely exceptional so I'd be shocked if whoever gets this will do better.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/ufc-seeking-a-four-fold-rights-fee-increase-in-new-tv-deal.html

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Akileese posted:

The UFC wants $450m over ten years for their next rights fee. That's not really a huge shock considering they do solid numbers on tv and (usually) gangbusters on PPV. This would be a near 300 percent increase over their current deal, which is like $115M over seven. With ESPN in decline, who the hell even takes a shot at that price? NBC maybe? UFC has their own fightpass platform that has made huge leaps in the recent years so I can't imagine them leveraging NBC Sports' online platform in any meaningful way. I just can't see them getting that kind of deal unless a wild card like Time Warner (with TBS/TNT) comes in.

What I find completely shocking is the news that they're going to give up their production to whoever gets the contract. I always felt their production was absolutely exceptional so I'd be shocked if whoever gets this will do better.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/ufc-seeking-a-four-fold-rights-fee-increase-in-new-tv-deal.html

The new ownership doesn't care about anything other than making enough money to justify the cost they spent on the promotion and it's going to ruin them. It's going to be hilarious to watch over the next few years.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Curious what fans think of the Cowboys pbp radio guy. He and Merrill Reese are apparently good friends, and as heated as the rivalry is I basically like him more than anything about the Cowboys.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Akileese posted:

sportsgenius86 posted:

The new ownership doesn't care about anything other than making enough money to justify the cost they spent on the promotion and it's going to ruin them. It's going to be hilarious to watch over the next few years.

Yup, UFC is potentially so hosed. A rival talent firm is agitating to get the fighters to unionise so they actually get paid properly which would drive up costs and apparently they have a tonne of debt to leverage, which explains why they want to cut back on money so they get someone else to do the production.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Sports networks still need to fill the time with something and most content is locked up already. UFC is one of the few things fox airs that can consistently pull a solid number for them

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Also UFC skews a lot younger than the typical sport. The networks kill for anything with those demographics.

As for Thursday Night Football, it really should be abolished. But they could go back to only having it a few weeks a year, if only to give a reason for cable companies to keep NFL Network

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Spoeank posted:

They need to get over their allergy to eastern time zone games not playing at 1 pm local time and it would go a long way

They want the slot with less games, 4 pm EST, to have the bigger markets playing to maximize numbers. A solution could be to have less games at 1pm and move the matchups there, but I'm guessing less people are watching earlier in the day?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

Sports networks still need to fill the time with something and most content is locked up already. UFC is one of the few things fox airs that can consistently pull a solid number for them

I'm honestly not that optimistic. They're asking for a ton more when everything is going down and I'm not sure if ratings going to be a magic bullet that gets them an increase.

UFC is hot, but they're hot because they're riding a bubble, and the current owners had to really take out a ton of money to buy the company.

Those owners are betting on getting a ton of cash because they do well on ratings and the demos look good on paper (though ad companies are adverse to full rates on MMA)

The problems start to arise when you look at their cards and stars and trying to think if it's sustainable.

They're several years into probably over extending themselves when it comes to making cards. This year, they're going to do over 40 televised cards, which is more then the company put on for the first decade of irs existence.

Joe Silva has done a great job at matchmaking, but they lost 1 PPV and almost lost 2 others because of weak cards and fights getting scratched this year.

Silva who has been the matchmaker forever is also leaving the company soon, because of the new owners and because he got paid a ton in the sale.

The company only has Ronda and Conor for big stars, but Ronda hasn't fought in a year, and is going to retire after a few more fights, and Conor does big money but also really hosed up the Featherweight division and is a bit of a headcase.

No one else has really caught fire like those two, the only other two that are close is probably Jones, but between DUIs, road rage, and doping he's dimmed his star.

It could all work out really well for UFC, but it could also go really horrible, really fast.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 29, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah things could (and likely will) start trending down for UFC (if they haven't already) but they've got Fox by the balls right now. Beyond the UFC, all Fox has is nationally is Bundesliga, college football games nobody wants to see, couple NFL games, and some assorted college basketball.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN ran a promo during MNF for the college playoffs and...

lol

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

UFC will get a better deal than the current one they have, it's just that the 450m number is hilarious. I could see 200 over 8 years or something like that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It'll be interesting if UFC gets that deal since their arguments are basically the same arguments Vince McMahon had. In the end most networks decided "yeah you're getting a good demo but it's wrestling fans so who gives a gently caress." It'll be interesting if UFC has grown to the point they don't still have that same sort of dismissal of their numbers by most TV people.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
1: Midweek football games should be reserved exclusively for midwestern football teams fighting to become bowl eligible, so only the MAC and the Browns should play on Thursdays.

2: I'm amazed that UFC's lowballing themselves at just 450m/10y. They were going to get a raise from the current rate obviously, but I figured buying would start at 50m/y and go from there. Can't speak to farming out production to whomever wins the rights, but I understand that was a big bug Dana had up his rear end before when the Fox deal was announced.

I think ESPN and Fox are the main bidders, with Fox winning since they need an exclusive flagship sport to hang their hats on. I can't remember if I posted my conspiracy theory in here or in Wrasslehut, but I'm wondering if ESPN might make a play for WWE's rights when they come up, since those will probably be about a tenth of what UFC will want, and merging Watch ESPN with the WWE Network might be a killer hook to get subscribers once ESPN launches their own digital-only offering. Issues 1 through 100 on the reasons why not is Vince McMahon, but I'm wondering how many tires have been kicked there.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

The NFL really needs to rethink how their schedule is period. I've whined about it before, but RedZone after 4:15 is complete and utter poo poo. Not to mention the fact that the days they could have those Thursday and Saturday games (December)? Well..they no longer do that...

It's bizarre to me that they haven't figured this out. Just make sure you have an extra late game or two each week.

I think the best solution is killing TNF, adding a second bye week for each team, and staggering the games on Sunday better. Just have them all start at 12pm local time each week with the exception for a game of the week that starts late. That way your Sunday has games starting and finishing at different times. Much more exciting.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DJExile posted:

ESPN ran a promo during MNF for the college playoffs and...

lol

The other night (not MNF, little bit back) ESPN did an overhead shot of Philadelphia that was at least 8 years old (one of the city buildings was out of date)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

C. Everett Koop posted:

1: Midweek football games should be reserved exclusively for midwestern football teams fighting to become bowl eligible, so only the MAC and the Browns should play on Thursdays.

2: I'm amazed that UFC's lowballing themselves at just 450m/10y. They were going to get a raise from the current rate obviously, but I figured buying would start at 50m/y and go from there. Can't speak to farming out production to whomever wins the rights, but I understand that was a big bug Dana had up his rear end before when the Fox deal was announced.

I think ESPN and Fox are the main bidders, with Fox winning since they need an exclusive flagship sport to hang their hats on. I can't remember if I posted my conspiracy theory in here or in Wrasslehut, but I'm wondering if ESPN might make a play for WWE's rights when they come up, since those will probably be about a tenth of what UFC will want, and merging Watch ESPN with the WWE Network might be a killer hook to get subscribers once ESPN launches their own digital-only offering. Issues 1 through 100 on the reasons why not is Vince McMahon, but I'm wondering how many tires have been kicked there.

UFC is looking for $450M per year over the course of 10 years and the total value of the contract would be $4.5 billion

the new owners had to borrow most of the $4 billion that it took for them to purchase the company over the summer

WWE wouldn't probably be a good fit for ESPN outside of maybe some specials or something, the #1 show runs head to head with an existing ESPN property

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WWE had to settle for a lowball deal with NBC Universal because pro wrestling fans are considered a low-income demographic, so high-end advertisers are hesitant to pay for running ads during their shows.

I can't imagine that changing during their next round of TV negotiations, especially with ratings falling off a cliff in recent years.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yeah, from a fan income perspective, UFC does not have the issues that WWE has.

And I'd imagine the production deal would be to remove those folks from payroll. The biggest risk you'd run there is the network sticking someone on PBP who doesn't know poo poo about MMA.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sportsgenius86 posted:

And I'd imagine the production deal would be to remove those folks from payroll. The biggest risk you'd run there is the network sticking someone on PBP who doesn't know poo poo about MMA.

I'd much rather have a network lackey calling UFC than Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan, who are less announcers than they are company hype men.

UFC's biggest problem is that it has such an insular culture that makes it hard for casual fans to approach. That mindset worked 10+ years ago when the sport was still fighting for legitimacy and legality, but like, it's 2016. You got legalized in New York. The battle is won. Get that chip off your shoulder and start running yourself like a real sports organization. (and by that I mean unionize the fighters, but that's a :can: I'd rather not get into in this thread.)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's not actual fan income, it's perception of fan income.

Initially when UFC partnered with Fox it looked like they had that advertiser confidence but it hasn't delivered the ratings and they've downscaled to the point that I have honestly no idea what the perception is. I guess the TV deal will say that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/video/stars-telecast-opens-with-dave-strader-112916

Dave Strader is back in the booth for the Dallas Stars tonight at Detroit, where he got his start in broadcasting. They did a really heartfelt open for him. :unsmith:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

C. Everett Koop posted:

WWE just did their tv deal either late last year or early this year and they stuck with Universal and iirc actually lost money and have to do more work (2 live shows instead of 1 live 1 taped). They don't even get NBC specials anymore.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/mike-felger-blasts-al-horford-after-horford-misses-game-for-his-daughters-birth.html

lovely sports radio host has lovely opinion, film at 11.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sportsgenius86 posted:

UFC has the exact same issue, but their rates aren't reduced as much as WWE.

Peanut President posted:

WWE just did their tv deal either late last year or early this year and they stuck with Universal and iirc actually lost money and have to do more work (2 live shows instead of 1 live 1 taped). They don't even get NBC specials anymore.

They're losing a bit of money in the sense that live production is more expensive then taped, and they're eating that difference.

SD being live really wasn't a condition of the deal, it was more or less WWE and USA cutting a deal to boost the SD ratings and getting it off a night where it had to run against football.

It's worked well for the first 6 or so months at least.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

UFC will get a better deal than the current one they have, it's just that the 450m number is hilarious. I could see 200 over 8 years or something like that.

I could see 250 or even 300 over 8. I could definitely see them getting 450m if it was over something like...4 years but 10? I don't think the total value exceeds say, 1.6B. That's about half of what the NFL gets. On a national level, UFC gets pretty solid ratings for their shows and as was mentioned, they have a lot of demographics that networks covet like shiny things. With that said, mo one knows what the blue gently caress the pay tv landscape will even look like that far down the road.

As for star making, you're not wrong. UFC has ALWAYS been able to make stars though. Also, Sean Shelby has been doing a lot of the matchmaking for the lower divisions. He did WEC as well so it's not all doom and gloom. The guy knows what he's doing and he'll step in well. They still have Dana White and love him or hate him, he was fantastic at identifying potential stars and maximizing their potential. Sometimes they strike out with guys like Sage Northcutt, but I'd say Sage is the exception for than the rule. Conor lost and remained popular, Ronda? Who the hell knows. I think they're setting her up for a ritual sacrifice against Amanda Nunes but I'll sure pay to see it.

The thing UFC has that Boxing never could (and WWE somehow fails to see) is that when someone can beat a big star, you create demand for that fighter. They may not turn into a huge star but with a rematch and victory they could. I mean, this is the company that made loving Matt Serra in a star for a short period of time.

I think UFC is going to end up on a downswing, but I've been saying that for two years now and they keep making me look like a jackass so maybe they'll be fine! I don't think they'll have a massive downturn though.

e: On WWE chat, I legit wonder if ESPN dropping the NFL and picking up WWE would be a gain for them. It would cost 1/10 of what they're paying and they'd get more per ad dollar out of it I think with the cost saving. They'll never do it but it was just a random thought I had.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Akileese posted:

e: On WWE chat, I legit wonder if ESPN dropping the NFL and picking up WWE would be a gain for them. It would cost 1/10 of what they're paying and they'd get more per ad dollar out of it I think with the cost saving. They'll never do it but it was just a random thought I had.

lol helllllllll no

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

schefter's gonna do more stuff

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/804148740449779713

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

From seeing him on TV I feel like Adam Schefter would sound terrible on a podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I didn't know Schefter was that big into the NBA. Wonder if he has the sources to creep into Marc Stein's turf.