Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Psion posted:

Mmm, let me clarify that - I know there are reasons not to, but I also know that thread is full of anecdotes which are nothing but white noise for my specific question I was trying to research. I could've phrased that better.

as far as customer-specified tank size, I guess that makes some sense. I saw a post which claimed a plane with four tanks for a passenger layout will probably be reduced to one tank for a freighter layout; I can buy the same for passenger layouts depending on how the airline intends to use the plane, too. As to how true that all is, again, dunno.

clearly the best option is to ask one of the FAs next time I'm at the rear lav. that'll be totally normal and won't raise red flags at all, right? ;)

The DC-10Fs I used to work on had a single tank, but had originally been ordered with two. The placement of the second tank varied with the original airline the aircraft had been ordered by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Finger Prince posted:

The pilots might be able to tell you if they look it up in their manual.

don't tempt me into trying to find a copy of one of those manuals :shepface:

gonna guess Boeing and/or the airline will not lend me one if I ask nicely, so I'm gonna go with "it varies" and not pursue this further. Neat, though!

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 28, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Psion posted:

gonna guess Boeing and/or the airline will not lend me one if I ask nicely, so I'm gonna go with "it varies" and not pursue this further. Neat, though!

I was once poking around a "virtual airline" and there was a link to what purported to be the actual flight manual for the delta MD-88

so as always flight sim spergs have your back

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

I was once poking around a "virtual airline" and there was a link to what purported to be the actual flight manual for the delta MD-88

so as always flight sim spergs have your back

I actually read the real Phenom 300 manual so I'd know how to play with it on Prepar3d.

Can confirm, simspergs always find a way.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

What is that, some kind of southern airbase for pussies? Alert, motherfuckers! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alert_Airport

(Yeah, I know it doesn't have a long enough [or paved] runway for an A330)

When it comes to sticking it to a pain-in-the-rear end passenger, a true pilot will make it happen no matter how short or unprepared the runway

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Prop Wash posted:

When it comes to sticking it to a pain-in-the-rear end passenger, a true pilot will make it happen no matter how short or unprepared the runway

You could 100% get an A330 into Alert.

Getting it out again...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

You could 100% get an A330 into Alert.

Getting it out again...

I bet you could get it out if you could unload.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Remember that time the Dreamlifter landed at the wrong airport?

With that nice, dense air, favourable winds, minimal load, &c., I’m pretty sure you could get it off the ground. It wouldn’t be particularly safe, but you could do it.

Now I want to try it in a sim.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpHKcSES_CA

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 29, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Psion posted:

The inside joke there is pilots never RTFM and probably wouldn't know where to look either! :v:

-source: I have to read their manuals for them and tell them what they say all the drat time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Platystemon posted:

With that nice, dense air, favourable winds, minimal load, &c., I’m pretty sure you could get it off the ground. It wouldn’t be particularly safe, but you could do it.

e:

As someone who has flown in/out of SAB in real life, you can't resist throwing everything off the cliff at the end of the 1300' runway in a sim afterwards.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Better CYFB than Thule Air Base!

I was flying back from Rammstein via Keflevik->Thule->Elmendorf, and had both the floor heat and overhead heat go out with 30+ pax. We were stuck in Thule for almost 5 days. In late November. It was like being in prison except there was beer and the cafeteria food was really good.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The one time I got to visit Keflavik it was just a refueling stop (hooray for trooplift on loving 737s) in the middle of the night and everything was closed up. Same with Bucharest, except there we had submachine gun-armed guards following us around.

Edit: Clarity

Godholio fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 29, 2016

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
Kef is cool, and the main stopover hotel is surprisingly nice for an airport hotel, but yeah, that place rolls up the sidewalks at about 8PM. Really good seafood joint down at the end of the main drag, and a couple cool expat bars built out of old houses around the same area.

Thule though... everything is built on stilts and you are not allowed to walk from point to point, no matter how close together they are, you have to call a shuttle to go anywhere. Mind you, the shuttle was never more than 2 minutes away, but it got real old real quick.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Are they worried about stability and you falling in a chasm or what?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Godholio posted:

Are they worried about stability and you falling in a chasm or what?

There was... weather and wildlife. Foxes and such mainly, but they regularly got polar bear sightings, and whiteout conditions could spring up quickly.

E: the stilts was because the permafrost was essentially at surface level, so you can't dig foundations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What does Doctor Manhattan need with an airplane?

Platystemon posted:

e:

does this guy know his rig is running at like 8fps

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

does this guy know his rig is running at like 8fps

Kilonum posted:

<Elukka> 20 fps on a 1080 is not normal
<Elukka> but on flight sims it is

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Psion posted:

Looked at my 737 and 747 manuals and the capacity isn't in them. We always just go by full=good, empty=bad so knowing the actual capacity would at best be one of those nice to know things.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

The one time I got to visit Keflavik it was just a refueling stop (hooray for trooplift on loving 737s) in the middle of the night and everything was closed up. Same with Bucharest, except there were submachine gun-armed guards following us around.

I thought Iceland didn't have an army?

just some heavily armed cops I guess

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

He's talking about Romania (another popular to-from the sandbox stopover) wrt the guards having SMG's.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dannywilson posted:

He's talking about Romania (another popular to-from the sandbox stopover) wrt the guards having SMG's.

Correct.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ask UK fishermen about that one for a laugh

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I just flew the other day with the potable water system deferred due to positive test for coliform.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Psion posted:

I was on a flight the other day and after we landed the crew at the back was talking to the crew up front, but they left it on the cabin PA system so I got to overhear a nice conversation about potables while waiting to deplane. The question was what their potable status was and the answer was "half a tank."

this made me wonder what half a tank was in a unit that meant something to me, and in between about seventy-five thousand posts of complaining about how posters on airliners.net would never drink from the potable system because [pile of anecdotes and opinions worthy of a chain email forward], I did find this. anyone know if they're right?

the post is 12 years old, but it's the best one I could find. I'd go with the 737-800 total of 60 USG, except I've also seen other posts saying 30, others saying 40 and not specifying which 737 they mean so who knows :shrug:

Part of my job is verifying what a customer has set for their water capacity on 737s. All the 737 tanks are 60 gal, but the customer chooses how much to use of it. A certain standpipe then determines that for usually 40, 50, or 60 gallons full capacity.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nebakenezzer posted:

Amerika Bombers I: Black Gay Hitler

'Black Gay Hitler' is a term used on the somethingawful.com forums; it means any history counterfactual so far removed from the actual history as to cease to be a meaningful what-if. For instance, given how World War 2 went down, the Nazis winning the battle of the Atlantic (IE imposing an effective blockade against Britain) is something that could have happened, given not very many changes on the Allied and Axis sides. It is not Black Gay Hitler. The Germans never declaring war on the Soviet Union on the first place, and, say, using at least some of those resources to secure Mideast oil instead is very black gay Hitler, since you are changing not only history, but in a large part the reasons and mentality of the Nazis in the first place

The German transocean aircraft projects, collectively lumped under the label "Amerika bombers" is definitely Black Gay Hitler. While a few prototype Amerika bombers did actually exist, none of them could have accomplished a trans-continental air raid. Furthermore, even if a viable design existed, the Nazis utterly lacked the resources, fuel, and industrial capacity to build a fleet, or even a bombing wing of such aircraft. If you've read some of the Luftwaffe posts on this blog, you can guess the reasons why. Even if you can't do that, you can look at the only design that ever entered service that was "transocean" as the Nazis envisioned: the B-36. That airplane took the USA until the end of the Second World War to engineer. This long build time was despite that the USA had 1) vastly greater experience in strategic bombers, 2) aero engines that could actually power a sky-leviathan, and 3) overwhelming material and industrial might compared to - well - anyone. A quick perusal through the B-36's development will give you a handy list of things the German aircraft industry just couldn't do.

I recently read a book on the Third Reich's Amerika bomber projects, The Luftwaffe Over America, by Manfred Griel. Griel in his introduction too marks the whole thing as Black Gay Hitler (he may have used a different term) by setting the base condition for Amerika bombers being: control of the caucuses oil fields by Germany and the Soviet Union knocked out of the war. This is a little series of posts sharing what I've learned.

Linky

Just a couple things I noticed in your blogpost (if you care about typos), find+replace your "who's" to "whose" and "loose" to "lose" and you should be good (there might be more typos but those ones stood out to me).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vessbot posted:

I just flew the other day with the potable water system deferred due to positive test for coliform.

MrYenko posted:

A: No, seriously, never drink from an airplane's "potable" water supply.

:colbert:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dannywilson posted:

When we were flying from US to Somalia in December '92 we stopped in Rome to refuel (we were on a chartered 747). The Italians decided that they had to keep an eye on us (in formation on the runway for 4 hours) with their riot control police. APC's, full body kevlar'd dudes in black with SMG's, the whole works.

I never quite understood what they were thinking.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

One too many marines port stopovers.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Eej posted:

Just a couple things I noticed in your blogpost (if you care about typos), find+replace your "who's" to "whose" and "loose" to "lose" and you should be good (there might be more typos but those ones stood out to me).

Despite evidence to the contrary, I do care about typos. Thanks!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How hard is it to maintain a viable potable water supply? I'm having trouble figuring out how the big airlines get it so universally wrong. This is the first I've ever heard about this issue (though I wouldn't drink tap water on an airplane anyway).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

How hard is it to maintain a viable potable water supply? I'm having trouble figuring out how the big airlines get it so universally wrong. This is the first I've ever heard about this issue (though I wouldn't drink tap water on an airplane anyway).

At most airports, water is trucked from holding tanks to the aircraft and loaded. These trucks... They sit out in the sun baking most of the day. Dark, moisture, warmth, it's bacteria heaven. They're also usually operated by the same company that handles waste servicing, and they're usually filling the water the same time as the waste is being serviced. The guys who do that job... Hygiene and cross contamination may not be at the top of their priority list.
Not to mention you aren't getting filled at 1st world airports every flight (and even those can have pretty rudimentary or poorly maintained water supply systems). Water quality is audited regularly and taken seriously, but all it takes is one bad fill somewhere in the system. And as soon as someone complains about funky taste or smell, if flushing the system doesn't fix it, that water system is offline until samples are taken and analysed and the system sterilized.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

(though I wouldn't drink tap water on an airplane anyway).

I have, on an A380 in 2015. As far as I can tell, I'm not dead.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stay safe, airplane water tank ghost.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I have, on an A380 in 2015. As far as I can tell, I'm not dead.

A380 are probably the safest aircraft for potable water, because they're so big only the richest airports can accommodate them, and they're treated as flagships by the airlines that operate them so they'll be a bit more careful about keeping everything clean than for, say, an A320.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Ate ice on four different Virgin America A320s, miraculously didn't die. Then again, I've eaten food in Sicily before for 2 1/2 years...my immune system could probably shrug off Ebola.

It was from 91-93, so I can't honestly give blood anymore thanks to fear of Mad Cow, though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is ice made from the airplane's potable water system? I thought it was brought in in bags from the catering company.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Safety Dance posted:

Is ice made from the airplane's potable water system? I thought it was brought in in bags from the catering company.

Maybe...I drank bottled water, though. I'm not nuts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I only drink sparkling wine above 18,000 feet. This contributed in no small part to the outcome of my Everest expedition.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Avro RJ85 carrying the Brazilian Football club Chapecoense went down in the mountains near Medellin Columbia. 72 + 9 crew on board. 6 survivors transported to local hospitals with severe trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SeaborneClink posted:

Avro RJ85 carrying the Brazilian Football club Chapecoense went down in the mountains near Medellin Columbia. 72 + 9 crew on board. 6 survivors transported to local hospitals with severe trauma.

The surviving flight attendant said they may have run out of fuel, and I believe I heard that the pilots declared an emergency prior to the crash (which would suggest it wasn't CFIT). If so, well, that's just no good. There are no excuses for not having enough fuel.