Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just pulled the first Spider-Man issue up on Unlimited and it opens with Parker fighting a flying shark in the midtown tunnel. Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Is Wanted mocking the entire concept of it's lead being this super badass dude who takes no poo poo or is it being dead serious? The entire time I'm reading the part where the lead is basically murdering people who mildly inconvenienced him as a kid and I'm not feeling "HELL YEAH" I'm viewing as more of a pathetic loser's dream.

It just feels way too on the nose for it to be played straight. How do you write a scene where the guy is murdering a dude who stained his shirt with a pen in high school and not see it as immennsly pathetic?

I guess my question is if Wanted is a satire or not

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Wanted is problematic

and it's ok to hate it for being a piece of poo poo, even if it wants you too

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is Wanted mocking the entire concept of it's lead being this super badass dude who takes no poo poo or is it being dead serious? The entire time I'm reading the part where the lead is basically murdering people who mildly inconvenienced him as a kid and I'm not feeling "HELL YEAH" I'm viewing as more of a pathetic loser's dream.

It just feels way too on the nose for it to be played straight. How do you write a scene where the guy is murdering a dude who stained his shirt with a pen in high school and not see it as immennsly pathetic?

I guess my question is if Wanted is a satire or not

It's Mark Millar doing his usual Mark Millar shtick where he needlessly and endlessly mocks the very concept of superheroism while at the same time indulging in all of its worst excesses. Wanted is meant to be a parody, yes, but it loses all of its bite when Millar very transparently wants us to think the main character is still super cool while also being a gigantic piece of poo poo.

The easiest way to describe Mark Millar is bad Garth Ennis (well, back when Garth Ennis was still good), so it's the same sort of weird love-hate relationship with superheroics and desire to display the protagonists as flawed pieces of poo poo, but in comparison to Ennis' steadfast cynicism and desire to actually follow through on that portrayal, there's a clear inferiority complex/desire to entertain that permeates all of Millar's work so that's where the really confused messaging and aims comes from. He really wants to be known as a Deep Serious Realistic Comic Writer but he's unwilling to distance himself from the excesses of comics to come across as serious. He's basically a parody of himself.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I love how mean spirited the ending to Wanted was. The real world is run by super villains, and super hero media is a glimpse into how the world should have been.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
After finishing the comic I can safely say that Wanted is the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen published by an actual comic company.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

After finishing the comic I can safely say that Wanted is the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen published by an actual comic company.

Well well well, looks like someone hasn't read Trouble.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Trouble didn't get a theatrical movie that was super divorced from the source material but tricked many people into reading the comic

edit: yet

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, the Wanted movie was so drat good though. :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

Man, the Wanted movie was so drat good though. :allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Trouble didn't get a theatrical movie that was super divorced from the source material but tricked many people into reading the comic

edit: yet

Sony were planning one before they did the deal with Marvel to get Spidey in Civil War and RDJ in Homecoming.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wanted is a horrendous comic with no redeeming qualities.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Can someone post the Civil War panels with Wanted text?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Thank you for reminding me that that was Chris Pratt

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Unmature posted:

Thank you for reminding me that that was Chris Pratt

His best comic book movie role.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Can someone post the Civil War panels with Wanted text?

Someone post that one Johnathan Hickman tweet.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

I've never read it, but the Wikipedia description makes me think The Unfunnies, also by Mark Millar, would be even worse than Wanted... and probably worse than everything else, ever, as well.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

redbackground posted:

The Daredevil issues are filled with some crazy poo poo in the best possible way.

Daredevil gets his rear end kicked by a vacuum cleaner. :thumbsup:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What gets me with Millar is, if you loving hate superheroes so much why do you feel the need to write them all the time? Write some crime books or horror books or whatever, why do you need to write like 10 comics that are basically "Heh super heroes are pretty loving lame right guys? Right?" and they all apparently blow.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I don't know if he does hate superheroes though, or at least if he does hate them it hasn't always been the case.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Mark Miller doesn't hate super heroes. He just has a really dark sense of humor. People forget he was writing Fantastic Four and 1985 at the same time as Old Man Logan and Kick rear end. And what about all the money and the movie deals from his creator owned stuff would encourage him to write books that weren't juvenile and mean spirited? Between him and Kirkman, it seems like you can be nice or you can be rich.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

His recent comics haven't been cynical about heroes*. Quite the extreme opposite if you look at Huck and Reborn.

* I haven't tried Empress, but it doesn't look like it is.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, a lot of Millars stuff is obnoxious and self indulgent as all hell (Wanted being a prime example) but I'm really enjoying Jupiters Legacy. Now, theres plenty of time for him to give that an ending that shits the bed and makes me hate it, but as it stands I'd recommend giving it a look.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Millar loves superheroes, he's just also a 13 year old boy trapped in a grown man's body, so his idea of funny and cool is, well, Wanted.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's pretty funny to see people blame the ending of the Kingsman movie on Millar.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
One thing that stuck with me from Wanted was the reveal that they were living in a beat-down, rebooted reality a la Crisis. Specifically the description in the last issue about how blue the sky used to be, how much greener the trees were, how much better food tasted.

It's a dumb story but it seemed like there was some glimmer of hope that heroes from the multiverse could eventually rewrite the Wanted earth again make things decent again?

(Also -- and this is really stupid -- it made me imagine our world as the bad timeline where supervillians wiped out the Gros Michel banana, leaving us with only the tasteless Cavendish banana and our grandparents' memories :) )

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's pretty funny to see people blame the ending of the Kingsman movie on Millar.

That's more because his collaborators on the Kingsman and Kick-rear end films get him very, very well, to the point where that ending is absolutely the sort of thing it feels like he would've done.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Apprentaly Millar has an interconnected multiverse for his stories so Wanted universe does have hope. It's easier to stomach knowing it takes place on Earth Three than Prime Earth

Wanted id have interesting ideas like the villians getting their supply and tech via raiding other Good hero universes and killing them

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

techknight posted:

One thing that stuck with me from Wanted was the reveal that they were living in a beat-down, rebooted reality a la Crisis. Specifically the description in the last issue about how blue the sky used to be, how much greener the trees were, how much better food tasted.

It's a dumb story but it seemed like there was some glimmer of hope that heroes from the multiverse could eventually rewrite the Wanted earth again make things decent again?

(Also -- and this is really stupid -- it made me imagine our world as the bad timeline where supervillians wiped out the Gros Michel banana, leaving us with only the tasteless Cavendish banana and our grandparents' memories :) )

Wanted Earth is supposed to be our Earth. That's the main guy punch of the series. Super hero books are glimpses at how the world should be.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So was that not the way it went down in the comic then? For a movie that I really enjoyed, that bit with the royal had me rolling my eyes hard.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

So was that not the way it went down in the comic then? For a movie that I really enjoyed, that bit with the royal had me rolling my eyes hard.

The royal bit isn't there, and instead of everyone exploding they just all make out.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I met Millar when I was 12 and he signed my Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men books and was really nice to me. He also kept talking about how cool my shirt was.

VVVVVVVV
I know, I was just sharing my Mark Millar story.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 29, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Millar is a very nice person but I generally do not enjoying reading his books.

People who are saying that they don't like his work aren't saying he's an arsehole or anything. Just that his humour and I guess to an extent his personality seeps into his work a lot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Grant Morrison hates his loving guts

quote:

I wish him well but there’s not good feeling between myself and Mark for many reasons most of which are he destroyed my faith in human loving nature.

quote:

There’s a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I’m going 100 miles an hour when it happens.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah but I think they fell out over "creative differences" or whatever.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Skwirl posted:

I bet it's a comic geek argument. Like they were having lunch together and Mark said, "I don't think continuity is a big deal."

Unmature
May 9, 2008

lifg posted:

I bet it's a comic geek argument. Like they were having lunch together and Mark said, "I don't think continuity is a big deal."

"I just don't believe alien gods would be concerned with how we write comics."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but Grant Morrison also decided that anything he wrote in his comics would turn into reality, so both sides. :D

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Grant Morrison and Mark Millar seem like complete opposites: One writes mostly incredibly bad comics while being, from all appearances, a really great person, while the other writes mostly good comics while sounding like a nightmare to have to interact with for extended lengths of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like Grant Morrison's magic and views on the nature of comic book reality. I already believed that poo poo, so I was simultaneously hyped for and dreading Ultra Comics.