Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

El Hefe posted:

I'd take not winning a single race all season long if it means I got the WDC at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

El Hefe posted:

I'd take not winning a single race all season long if it means I got the WDC at the end.

Matt Kenseth got close to that in NASCAR. He won the championship with one win really early on the season.

Then the next year they moved to a new format that emphasized wins

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tom Sneva in Indycar way back also won the championship without winning a race.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iospace posted:

Matt Kenseth got close to that in NASCAR. He won the championship with one win really early on the season.

Then the next year they moved to a new format that emphasized wins

it didn't actually emphasize wins, it emphasized doing really well in the last 10 races of the season

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Actually none of the Chase systems emphasize wins, which is hilarious because emphasizing wins has been NASCAR's goal except they keep making points systems that are insanely bad at doing that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't followed NASCAR for like 15+ years but I remember the old point system being extremely generous.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In the old NASCAR points system it was possible and actually fairly common for the second placed driver to get as many points as the winner.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alain Post posted:

Actually none of the Chase systems emphasize wins, which is hilarious because emphasizing wins has been NASCAR's goal except they keep making points systems that are insanely bad at doing that.

Current one does. Win and you're in the next round of the chase. Oh, and when Matt won he locked it up before the last race, which pissed off some people something fierce.

Funny enough, the last Wisconsin driver before Kenseth won the championship with only two wins.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I'm trying to read how this chase thing works and it's literally making my brain hurt.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iospace posted:

Current one does. Win and you're in the next round of the chase. Oh, and when Matt won he locked it up before the last race, which pissed off some people something fierce.

Funny enough, the last Wisconsin driver before Kenseth won the championship with only two wins.

The current Chase system emphasizes winning once. The hilarious thing is that once you win a race in the first 26 races of the season the incentive to win another race goes way down.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm trying to read how this chase thing works and it's literally making my brain hurt.

Basically the long and short of it: win prior to the last 10 races and you're in as long as you finish in the top 30 overall in points. With 10 races to go, the top 16 move on. The top 12 of those go the next round after three races, with anyone winning those three of the 16 automatically moving on. Repeat to reduce down to 8, and then 4. Last four standing have a "best finish wins" race for the finale.

or, to tl;dr it, NASCAR wanted playoffs so it decided to make one because ~reasons~.

Alain Post posted:

The current Chase system emphasizes winning once. The hilarious thing is that once you win a race in the first 26 races of the season the incentive to win another race goes way down.

Fair enough, with the slight quibble that "emphasizes winning once in each round", if you count the 26 opening races a round.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You know, the more I think about it, the more I realize that NASCAR is the end result of taking someone like Bernie's crazy ideas and going "You know, I know it's batshit but let's give it a try!" and not having someone to say "Yeah, no, that's dumb and you're dumb for thinking of it" or reversing course like the qualifying BS earlier this year.

Except Eldora, because Eldora is awesome.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's worth noting that the current format which was designed to emphasize ~winning~ came incredibly close to a driver who had zero wins, and finished in the top-5 something like 4 times in 36 races, win the title.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Alain Post posted:

It's worth noting that the current format which was designed to emphasize ~winning~ came incredibly close to a driver who had zero wins, and finished in the top-5 something like 4 times in 36 races, win the title.

Harvick, who won 5 races to Newman's 0, had nearly three times as many top-5 finishes, and led more than 2000 laps more than Newman, scored one more point than Ryan Newman in the 2014 NASCAR season.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 29, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wtf.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like I used to think the 1996 Cup results were evidence that NASCAR was way overvaluing consistency and not having any DNFs, but it looks downright reasonable next to the 2014 results.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Alain Post posted:

Harvick, who won 5 races to Newman's 0, had nearly three times as many top-5 finishes, and led more than 2000 laps more than Newman, scored one more point than Ryan Newman in the 2014 NASCAR season.

That's a helluva system. :wtc:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Terry was cool, however. The Kellogg's car owned.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like Terry too, and 21 top-5s is an incredibly good year. He probably shouldn't have been the 1996 champion by virtue of having like 2 fewer engine failures or whatever it was, though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Definitely not but it's neat that Gordon and Labonte were pretty evenly matched aside from wins and laps led.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Sir Jackie Stewart brandishes Lewis Hamilton a ‘little ballerina’ in shocking rant

Got to love Sir Jackie Stewart :allears:

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Jack Baruth from the very relevant magazine Road & Track with the Facebook post of the year.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Sir Jackie is cool and good. Every time he talks I agree with him.

BubbaGrace posted:

Jack Baruth from the very relevant magazine Road & Track with the Facebook post of the year.

I just bought a year's subscription.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

FIA clarified the safety car standing start thing for next year. It only applies during a safety car rain start. Once it dries, the cars line up for a standing restart.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Funzo posted:

FIA clarified the safety car standing start thing for next year. It only applies during a safety car rain start. Once it dries, the cars line up for a standing restart.

That's good.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

BubbaGrace posted:

it's sad to see the fake news problem on facebook has reached F1... but instead of Macedonia.... all the fake articles are coming from Brussels???

poty fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 29, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Funzo posted:

So basically if it's wet but not raining, they'll do a standing restart once they do a few "drying" laps, or am I misreading this?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

So basically if it's wet but not raining, they'll do a standing restart once they do a few "drying" laps, or am I misreading this?

That's more or less how I read it.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Hey man.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Nando won my heart without winning a race.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I'll state yet again for the record that there's no such thing as a Nico Rosberg fan- only someone that hates Lewis Hamilton so much they're embarrassed to admit the extent of it.

e: See also: people who were fans of Mark Webber throughout the Vettelreich.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 29, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly I would have liked if neither of them won the championship but thems the brakes.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't give a hoot about Rosberg or Hamilton really. Implying that Nico didn't deserve it is dumb, but he wasn't perfect this year and Hamilton looked lousy at certain times, especially early on. Horrible starts more than once too.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

iospace posted:

Honestly I would have liked if neither of them won the championship but thems the brakes.

Which is a perfectly valid opinion. As is "I wanted Rosberg to win because I hate Hamilton". It's the people who midway through the season decided they didn't want to appear salty so switched from "I hate Hamilton" to "Actually no guys I genuinely think Rosberg is a great driver and a fun guy" that I take issue with.

VVVV And you're a lifelong Lecister City FC fan since last year although now you're coming to realise Chelsea are actually a great team too and maybe you've actually always been a fan of them.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 29, 2016

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Actually no guys I genuinely think Rosberg is a great driver and a fun guy.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I think Nico purposely overcooked it in qualifying at Monaco in 2014 to bring out a yellow and spoil Lewis' lap. That tarnished him for me ever since.

That said he seems like a nice guy in person.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

You're watching Nico Rosberg's coronation as King of the Frauds in real time.

1500quidporsche posted:

I've just finished watching the race and my critical expert analysis shows that Rosberg is the biggest fraud on the grid, Lewis is an annoying cringeworthy twat that will win the WDC and this sport is poo poo.

These weren't even hard to find

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Ya I was pretty critical of him earlier in the year because he looked like he was going to keep the same mistakes he did in years past. Shockingly he fixed that and my opinion of him vastly improved, Singapore was really the stand out moment where I really thought he finally got his poo poo together.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Halo14 posted:

Nando won my heart without winning a race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

These weren't even hard to find

Opinions can change.

• Locked thread