Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hi we weren't able to record until this weekend thanks to availability issues and my father having a heart attack (he survived and is recovering very well) so this episode was recorded two days ago!

Episode 37 - Its Been A While

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The Goron race is a fun idea, I was very excited about it the first time

The times after that, not so much

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Glad to hear your father is doing okay.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Faerie Fortune posted:

Hi we weren't able to record until this weekend thanks to availability issues and my father having a heart attack (he survived and is recovering very well) so this episode was recorded two days ago!

Episode 37 - Its Been A While

I'm glad to hear your father is recovering! :glomp:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Don't know why you guys hate the goron races. I thought they were rather fun! Challenging, but not impossible, and the track itself is pretty enjoyable.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

For what it's worth, Goht 3DS doesn't require arrows any more than Goht 64 does

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the gamme trolling Fae with item drops:

"Oh, you want arrows do ya? Fine, take ALL the arrows. Oh you're looking for health now? No. gently caress yerself. More Arrows."

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Nihilarian posted:

For what it's worth, Goht 3DS doesn't require arrows any more than Goht 64 does

Goht was the one fight they didn't need to change much. Also I did the 3DS Odalwa fight way differently than they wanted me to, but I guess that just shows how you can approach fights from other angles.

I've been enjoying these, especially since I've been on a watching Zelda and Pikmin kick lately!

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the gamme trolling Fae with item drops:

"Oh, you want arrows do ya? Fine, take ALL the arrows. Oh you're looking for health now? No. gently caress yerself. More Arrows."

Those pots spawn arrows specifically for starting the fight, since Link could have very well walked in without them (like Fae almost did!). Still, I like this interpretation of the game as an ornery Irish pawnbroker hassling the veteran Ocarina of Time players.

"You want to save the world, ah? You get three days. Now piss off; time's wasting!"

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I can't remember if this has been shown before or not, but I came across it and thought it might be worth sharing.

Because the game didn't have enough nightmare fuel already.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey talking of nightmare fuel, somebody link that fan animation. I'm on my phone.

I don't think it has any spoilers beyond the game's start.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbMQfaG6lo8

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

:catstare: Whoa.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Shei-kun posted:

I can't remember if this has been shown before or not, but I came across it and thought it might be worth sharing.

Because the game didn't have enough nightmare fuel already.
And I thought it was just good old-fashioned body horror going on.

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 29, 2016

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 38 - The One Where Everyone But Me Is Playing Pokemon

This was recorded three days before I got my copy of Pokemon Moon and I was very mad about it

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I'm the weird guy who loved the Goron races unironically. I always did the races again everytime I set the mountains to spring, if at least because Gold Dust sells for a pretty rupee. Then again, this used to be my sandbox game where if I had a few hours free I'd just load it up a do absolutely anything I wanted. It is a much better game for that than Ocarina was because of how the quest progression only existed at a meta level, rather than a real one.

I don't think it would work as well in any other Zelda title, because Majora has a lot of differences in kind. Wouldn't really get the same rush out of it if I could just reset a dungeon or temple in in Link's Awakening because a lot of the dungeons are really more of the same. Maybe it's because the way I spent my time in Ocarina, Majora, and the gameboy titles meant that I thought travelling the overworld was always more interesting than doing the dungeons and temples. (Even though that is a totally backwards perception from a game design perspective.)

The only Zelda game where that was most definitely not true was Twilight Princess. The overworld in that game was boring, while the dungeons were surprisingly great. If it had resettable dungeons and replayable boss fights, I might've been far more forgiving of that otherwise dull game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I always had more fun doing between dungeon overworld stuff, too. I get this weird feeling of dread when I have to go do a dungeon, and I don't know why. It's not that I don't like dungeons either, because I do. It's like I have to consciously remind myself "No, the dungeons are supposed to be the fun part of the game. Quit being a baby!" and just go do the dungeon.

I don't even know where that feeling started, because my first Zelda was Ocarina of Time, and I definitely enjoyed the dungeons in that!

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Silver Falcon posted:

I always had more fun doing between dungeon overworld stuff, too. I get this weird feeling of dread when I have to go do a dungeon, and I don't know why. It's not that I don't like dungeons either, because I do. It's like I have to consciously remind myself "No, the dungeons are supposed to be the fun part of the game. Quit being a baby!" and just go do the dungeon.

I don't even know where that feeling started, because my first Zelda was Ocarina of Time, and I definitely enjoyed the dungeons in that!

Its probably the time limit, even if its never actually a problem. feeling like you have to rush makes the dungeons way more stressful for most people.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm still only one badge into Pokemon X :negative: Spent a whole year+ playing nothing but Monster Hunter on my 3DS and never went back to finish all the games I ignored in that time. Someday!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

C-Euro posted:

I'm still only one badge into Pokemon X :negative: Spent a whole year+ playing nothing but Monster Hunter on my 3DS and never went back to finish all the games I ignored in that time. Someday!

Just skip to sun/moon. I had the same problem with x/y. It's a much, much better game.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I picked up a Mimikyu and named her Peek and she is my favorite

Decidueye is cool too. All the starters are pretty good this gen, but I like the grass line best.

Silver Falcon posted:

the dungeons in Ocarina of Time are pretty much the focus of the game. In Majora's Mask, the focus is more on the atmosphere and the people. That's why MM has half as many "official" dungeons, it's why a bunch of the nameless NPCs from OoT were given names (Anju, for example) and why the non-human races were given a bit more variation. A huge part of the game is tied up in figuring out how you can help people. You have a notebook that fills up automatically as you find out peoples schedules, and figuring out the right sequence of events will eventually lead you to heart pieces, masks, items, lore and/or quest advancement. Even the great fairies in this game need your help before they help you; in OoT the gave you poo poo for free.

Preferring the between-dungeons bit to the dungeons bit is not weird, it is intentional.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

It could be worse Fae, I'm waiting until Christmas for my copy of Moon. It's gonna be a frustrating month.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

God I hated the Goron race. Rubberbanding is such bullshit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just got a ditto so I went to eggland to get a female Salamdit (fire/poison lizard: awesome. Female-only evolution with a 12.5% chance? Not so much. It's the new Combee.) Took 36 eggs. I feel kinda bad about dumping the rejects on Wonder Trade.

I'm impressed by the placement they did for the game. The others have been very rote with "bird, rodent, insect and puppy pokemon, and one fighting type before going through a rock cave" starting, and M/S have those too, but they have a good mix of old and new pokemon, and didn't make the mistake of having the old pokemon in the starting area be those games' starting area guys. With ones like Diglett, Munchlax or Wingull showing up, it's ones that you may have ignored in previous games because your team was already set.

And that's my Pokemon sperg for the year. Well, month at least.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Julias posted:

Just skip to sun/moon. I had the same problem with x/y. It's a much, much better game.

Counterpoint: I only have X because it came free with the system :goleft: Last Pokemon game I played was Platinum and to be fair I did play the gently caress out of it, but I had waaaay less going on then than I do now.

Is there a technical explanation for how rubber banding works in games? I'd be curious to know if it's just jacking up the AI character's speed, or if it does even trickier stuff like move the other character while the player's camera is looking elsewhere.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The Nidos probably evolve via Moon Stone because they're dinosaur rabbits.

I kind of have a love-hate relationship with Goron racing; it's fun, but I feel like the rubberbanding could stand to be toned down several notches. Doing the same race for two in-game days gets aggravating.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

C-Euro posted:

Counterpoint: I only have X because it came free with the system :goleft: Last Pokemon game I played was Platinum and to be fair I did play the gently caress out of it, but I had waaaay less going on then than I do now.

Is there a technical explanation for how rubber banding works in games? I'd be curious to know if it's just jacking up the AI character's speed, or if it does even trickier stuff like move the other character while the player's camera is looking elsewhere.

Typically rubber banding works by modifying the other racer's speeds (either faster or slower) to keep them near you to have the race be "exciting" and keep the challenge on the player.

In practice, though, it tends to lead to bullshit moments where you can do everything perfectly, and in the home stretch have the game detect a collision on some misaligned polygons, killing your speed, and losing the race because the game gave a speed boost to the other racers to keep the pressure.

It's an early form of racing AI that came about due to limitations in processing power and the fact that programming good AI (ie, fun) is loving hard.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The name rubberbanding comes from how a rubber band snaps back with more force the more you stretch it out. If we take that definition and apply it to a video game, then basically, the game will fight back harder the better you're doing. Classic Mario Kart is the quintessential example - if you're far ahead enough from the pack, the game will jack up the speed on the CPU racers so that they can actually catch up to you. Mario Kart also lets it go both ways - if you're far behind, the game will give you better items to compensate, but that doesn't really change the fact that rubberbanding is a system that really likes to push the player down while they're ahead and grind their face into the ground while they're down.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

C-Euro posted:

It varies. Some games speed lagging opponents up, some consider them "right behind you, just out of sight" and just drop them in if you slow down. If I remember right, Mario Kart games would de-render lagging opponents so they would fly through terrain and attack items at a set speed.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
The stuff in this video pretty had the two main (if not all that important, overall) things in this game that I want to like more than I do.

I like the goron races for many of the same reasons I like non-realistic racing games, but I hate the stuff with rubber banding that's been mentioned already and that your opposing gorons can somehow slam you out of spiky mode (which gives added frustration with the way all those hills and things on the course affect how easily you get back into spiky mode), but you have no equivalent way to completely wreck their momentum, so it never feels fair and like you can become skilled enough to dominate the race entirely. Combine that with the goal of winning first and only first to achieve anything and it tanks a lot of the fun that a race of just rolling and smashing into stuff would otherwise be.

Then there's the sword. I really like the razor sword's unique look, more so than the gilded sword's and judging from how the former is the only upgraded sword Link had in the promotional art for this game, I don't think I'm alone in that, but the limited use (especially how it goes away if you time travel back) makes me feel like it's kind of pointless to buy it for the same reasons I didn't buy the giant's knife in OoT, especially since the gilded upgrade is available almost at the same moment. So it always kind of bums me out that the sword I like feels like the sword I shouldn't bother with.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah I understand the concept of rubberbanding (I too labored long and hard for gold dust), I'm just curious as to how it gets coded and if all games do it the same way.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to be That Guy who comes in like a dick and says that he never had a problem with the Goron races :smug:

But seriously, the first time I played MM it was on some Zelda promotional disk for Gamecube that had OoT, MM, and a preview for Wind Waker where you could just a little bit of Dragon Roost Island. Maybe the race was toned down on that version or maybe I just got lucky but I never knew it was such a big deal until I started watching LPs of the game and hearing people complain about the Goron races.

fwiw, I did find it hard years later on the 3DS.

Also re: pokechat, Rowlet 4 Lyfe, losers. Also God I hate Hau and his overly friendly rear end. I miss the halcyon days of a having an absolute dickhead for a rival where beating him was cathartic. With Hau it's just, "well that happened".

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 30, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My favourite Pokemon move is always the Dark Move Beatup - it hits the opponent once for each pokemon in your party. Canonically, what is happening is Houndoom or Umbreon or whatever is going over to your belt, releasing all your dudes, cracking his knuckes and saying "Let's wreck this fool". Most Dark moves are literally cheating and it is glorious. Hell they made Bite a dark move implying that your dude is going fulll Mike Tyson on some 5 year old's pet Meowth.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

My favourite Pokemon move is always the Dark Move Beatup - it hits the opponent once for each pokemon in your party. Canonically, what is happening is Houndoom or Umbreon or whatever is going over to your belt, releasing all your dudes, cracking his knuckes and saying "Let's wreck this fool". Most Dark moves are literally cheating and it is glorious. Hell they made Bite a dark move implying that your dude is going fulll Mike Tyson on some 5 year old's pet Meowth.

I've got this mental image of a wrestling match where the noble 1-on-1 tag team pokemon match is suddenly altered as an entire team comes into the ring to wreck someone's day while the ref is distracted.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I was a wrestling fan in the 90s, that poo poo actually happened all the goddamn time and it was amazing

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Zagglezig posted:

The stuff in this video pretty had the two main (if not all that important, overall) things in this game that I want to like more than I do.

I like the goron races for many of the same reasons I like non-realistic racing games, but I hate the stuff with rubber banding that's been mentioned already and that your opposing gorons can somehow slam you out of spiky mode (which gives added frustration with the way all those hills and things on the course affect how easily you get back into spiky mode), but you have no equivalent way to completely wreck their momentum, so it never feels fair and like you can become skilled enough to dominate the race entirely. Combine that with the goal of winning first and only first to achieve anything and it tanks a lot of the fun that a race of just rolling and smashing into stuff would otherwise be.

Then there's the sword. I really like the razor sword's unique look, more so than the gilded sword's and judging from how the former is the only upgraded sword Link had in the promotional art for this game, I don't think I'm alone in that, but the limited use (especially how it goes away if you time travel back) makes me feel like it's kind of pointless to buy it for the same reasons I didn't buy the giant's knife in OoT, especially since the gilded upgrade is available almost at the same moment. So it always kind of bums me out that the sword I like feels like the sword I shouldn't bother with.

Yeah it's kind of a shame that you can and should get both sword upgrades on the same cycle. I think it would have made perfect sense to make the razor sword a permanent upgrade, then lock the gilded sword behind an item from the next temple or something, if only to use the very cool art asset a little more. The real problem with the razor sword is that it's breakable, so even if you wanted to use the sword you would have to, at a minimum, unfreeze the smithy and lose your sword for 1/3 of a cycle. That's just a non-starter, and I'm really surprised that that concept made it into the game at all, given that most every other item has at least a niche use. Now that I think about it, it really stands out as a useless item, which makes me think that the gilded sword was added later or was originally intended to be picked up somewhere else. It's also a little odd and tradition breaking that the gilded sword is just some sword that happens to be well made - there's nothing mystical about it, and it's not even tied to a notebook event or a transformation mask character (I mean aside from needing the Goron form to win the gold dust - it's a tertiary reward to the Winterhead plot).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

C-Euro posted:

I'm still only one badge into Pokemon X :negative:
This is me with every post-Gen 1 Pokemon game. I play for a few hours, get a couple of badges and then just... stop.

I probably shouldn't buy Sun or Moon.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Doc Morbid posted:

This is me with every post-Gen 1 Pokemon game. I play for a few hours, get a couple of badges and then just... stop.

I probably shouldn't buy Sun or Moon.

If it helps they switch up the formula a bit; it doesn't do the standard 8 gyms thing in this game. Seriously this is probably my favorite Pokémon game since Platinum

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

C-Euro posted:

Yeah I understand the concept of rubberbanding (I too labored long and hard for gold dust), I'm just curious as to how it gets coded and if all games do it the same way.

If I had to guess, it's a pid loop of one form or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Also re: pokechat, Rowlet 4 Lyfe, losers. Also God I hate Hau and his overly friendly rear end. I miss the halcyon days of a having an absolute dickhead for a rival where beating him was cathartic. With Hau it's just, "well that happened".

What makes you think Hau is the rival? You're the one who's always a step ahead of him, you're the one with the starter that beats his, he's the one with Pikachu, the 'protagonist' pokemon...

No, the real rival in this game is Gladion. Hau is just a friend.