Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Could very easily just be a one year play to allow a young Almora to go down and start everyday in AAA, wreck some poo poo and build up his confidence, and then come back to full time in '18.

I think Almora's proven he can play at the major league level. I'm fine with him and Jay platooning at center next year, but I don't want to see Almora get sent down.

Pancakes posted:

I forgot, Jay also gets HBP at Rizzolike levels. I smell a clubhouse competition!

Bryant actually had more HBPs in 2016 than Rizzo :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I think Almora's proven he can play at the major league level. I'm fine with him and Jay platooning at center next year, but I don't want to see Almora get sent down.

I'd rather have Almora get every day ABs in AAA for a good chunk of the year since Szczur is out of options, we have no idea if La Stella will accept an assignment or just retire on the spot and nobody else you would expect to be a position player should be seeing any time in the minors (except maybe Soler, but I have a feeling he's not going to be a Cub on opening day anyway - in which case Almora should be on the MLB roster.)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dexo posted:

Am I crazy for being 100% willing to give up Baez and those dudes for Sale with no hesitation

I feel like it shouldn't be that easy to give Baez up.

We're deep enough offensively that I'd be completely on board with giving up Baez if it meant getting Sale in return.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the white sox weren't so high and mighty about trading with the Cubs when David Aardsma was available.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

the white sox weren't so high and mighty about trading with the Cubs when David Aardsma was available.

Or Jon Garland....

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Jeff Locke has been DFAed :byewhore:

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Speaking of players the Pirates fleeced for Nate McLouth, whatever happened to Gorkys Hernandez?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Fowler to Toronto is looking plausible

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Speaking of players the Pirates fleeced for Nate McLouth, whatever happened to Gorkys Hernandez?

He was on the Giants last year

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

Fowler to Toronto is looking plausible

Are they shopping Pillar then? I feel like Fowler loses a lot of his value if you stick him in a corner, even at Rogers.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

Are they shopping Pillar then? I feel like Fowler loses a lot of his value if you stick him in a corner, even at Rogers.

From what I'm reading, no, Fowler would slot into a corner OF spot.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Appeared out of nowhere in August and played a bunch for the Giants down the stretch. I mean he was in AAA obviously but I'd literally never heard of him until they called him up. He started a playoff game!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

CubsWoo posted:

From what I'm reading, no, Fowler would slot into a corner OF spot.

Clearly you have Fowler in a RF spot and some of CF, Pillar in CF but covering most of LF, and Morales in LF when Edwin needs a day to DH.

:(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

That'd mean a bit of a dropoff in payroll for the Cubs this year. Wonder if they'll make a deal for a semi-expensive bullpen arm or something still. Or hoarding cash for next offseason to make a splash for a starter.

I don't think we're going to be seeing any big signings. Maybe a big trade: there's still rumors abound about the Cubs looking at Archer/Gray/etc, but I think they're keeping the wallet fairly tight in preparation for 2017.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The only silver lining to Fowler leaving at the moment is that we will be able to get his WS jersey at a clearance price. I will proudly buy one and wear it!

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

The Berzerker posted:

Clearly you have Fowler in a RF spot and some of CF, Pillar in CF but covering most of LF, and Morales in LF when Edwin needs a day to DH.

:(

The Pompey Era will begin and I can finally start calling the Jays outfield the Triumvirate.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Apparently the Astros put in a serious bid for Yoenis which makes me think they might be willing to spring for Encarncion

Man, that would have been a nice outfield

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I hope Dexter Fowler gets paid a lot of money by a team that isn't the cubs, and does well, especially if the team is in the AL :)

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
So its looking all but certain Encarnacion is going to end up south of the border, possibly with the Astros. Boston/New York are looking like unlikely suitors at this point. Toronto made too low of a bid. Eddie's agent even made a comment about judging the offer from the team by also how bad their income tax levels are, so it seems he might be leaning towards Texas. God drat cheap rear end Jays. You've made like an extra half billion dollars over the past few years, spend some of it before the Leafs get good you idiots.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 30, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

VJeff posted:

Man that's the big money.

Cespedes is probably worth it though.

The Mets are dogshit without him offensively

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

The Mets are dogshit without him offensively

I think they just don't have any runs to spare on offense. It's not that he's carrying it completely on his own but, that's too many runs for them to make up with what is largely an offense built around veterans who are just above average in their good years.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If their rotation could actually stay healthy then maybe they wouldn't need every run they could scrape up to win. Too bad the Mets' answer to every injury concern their pitching has is "just pitch through it until your elbow explodes, you pussies."

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If the rotation stays healthy I don't think it's unreasonable to claim it's the best in baseball, so even a marginal offensive improvement is worth a lot to the team, and Cespedes over Jay Bruce is a bit more than marginal.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

tadashi posted:

Well, the Cubs signed Jon Jay for some reason. I guess he'll platoon with Almora. So, between them, we're basically getting 2015 Dexter Fowler if things go well.

Jay doesn't really have lefty/righty splits and was actually better vs. LHP in 2016. He also has a noodle arm.

He is, as people mentioned, A Cool Dude, though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'd love it if the Mariners would trade for Sale, but I just don't think we have the farm system to do it.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

jon jay is pretty much the perfect 4th outfielder who you wouldnt be embarrassed to start in center if you had to for a while

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Now the Jays are attached to Curtis Granderson, apparently. Watching the Jays always narrowly avoid getting Jay Bruce is like watching those gifs where a giant asteroid barely misses hitting earth over and over.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Scob posted:

jon jay is pretty much the perfect 4th outfielder who you wouldnt be embarrassed to start in center if you had to for a while

Plus the whole "Chief Justice" nickname lets you yell stuff like "Motion for a double DENIED" when he makes a gratuitous layout catch.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Scob posted:

Does make me wonder what the hell the Cubs are going to do with Sczcur since that's the exact position he filled this year. He's out of options so unless the Cubs are carrying 5-6 outfielders there won't be any room for him.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Chexoid posted:

Now the Jays are attached to Curtis Granderson, apparently. Watching the Jays always narrowly avoid getting Jay Bruce is like watching those gifs where a giant asteroid barely misses hitting earth over and over.

Fun fact: this isn't an asteroid- it was eventually identified as the spent third stage of the Apollo 12 rocket.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Does make me wonder what the hell the Cubs are going to do with Sczcur since that's the exact position he filled this year. He's out of options so unless the Cubs are carrying 5-6 outfielders there won't be any room for him.

If you include Zobrist, Contreras, and Bryant, all of whom played a significant number of games in the outfield in 2016, the Cubs' 40-man roster is 25% outfielders. Hannemann won't make the 25-man to start the season, either Soler or Szczur will probably be traded, and that still leaves Almora, Heyward, Jay, and Schwarber.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Orioles acquire Logan Verrett from the Mets for cash considerations. I'd joke that will be our big offseason move, but frankly I'm not willing to tempt fate that it would be true. :shepface:

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

seiferguy posted:

I'd love it if the Mariners would trade for Sale, but I just don't think we have the farm system to do it.

I wonder if the Mariners could pry Montgomery away from the Cubs? But seriously I'm a little worried about the rotation in its current state, I'm trusting that JD has a plan but I'm not sure what other journeyman type guys are available if we don't go for Sale. Perhaps we'll get to see the grand return of Micah Owens! Is he even a starter?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Nards Pan posted:

I wonder if the Mariners could pry Montgomery away from the Cubs? But seriously I'm a little worried about the rotation in its current state, I'm trusting that JD has a plan but I'm not sure what other journeyman type guys are available if we don't go for Sale. Perhaps we'll get to see the grand return of Micah Owens! Is he even a starter?

keep fat shrek and stay away from montgomery

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Huh, I thought Micah Owings retired like 5 years ago

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Poque posted:

keep fat shrek and stay away from montgomery

but normal shrek is already fat

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/804021763558567936
Cutch is going to get traded to some great team and become a great player again while the Pirates get jackshit for him.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Chexoid posted:

I'd rather keep Granderson than Bruce considering he can sorta-kinda play a bit of center, but the return for him should be better too. Apparently the O's are in on Granderson as well so we'll see if Sandy can swing us a couple of decent prospects.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

TheChaosPath posted:

Huh, I thought Micah Owings retired like 5 years ago

The siren call of the Tacmoa Rainers was too much to resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/804021763558567936
Cutch is going to get traded to some great team and become a great player again while the Pirates get jackshit for him.

Well good news, the only contending teams that need centerfielders are the Cubs and Cardinals so you're still gonna see a ton of him!

• Locked thread