Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Nooooo Sherlock why are you breaking up with Fiona :smith:

It was a real stupid reason. He should have at least tried to open up about his job or explain his doubts first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I assume that they might have gotten Natalie Dormer back.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
It would be pretty evil for Moriarty to manipulate Sherlock away from Fiona, just because she can.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!

Pick posted:

I assume that they might have gotten Natalie Dormer back.

I hope so. The hope of Moriarty turning up again is the only reason I keep watching. She's got to take back her empire from Morland.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think I'm done with this show. It's pretty boring with nothing memorable since the stuff with kitty last year IMO.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's always irritating to me the way this show pushes 12 step programmes as the only way to overcome any kind of addiction. I was really hoping that this time they'd let it go with Sherlock finding a different solution that works better for him right now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

I think I'm done with this show. It's pretty boring with nothing memorable since the stuff with kitty last year IMO.

Yeah, I still enjoy it but I think it needs to sell an arc this season, which it hasn't successfully done yet.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You can't give us Morland Holmes and then take him away; it was amazing how much better he made last season, in the sense that this season feels way worse with him gone.

The Shinwell storyline is pretty dumb tbh

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Mu Zeta posted:

I've let the entire season build up without watching any episodes yet. Sounds like I may have made the right call.

It had a good couple of seasons.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The cases have been fun enough and the Holmes/Watson dynamic is still good, just the side arc that Watson has going on is pretty dull. Still worth watching IMO.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tortolia posted:

Still worth watching IMO.

Agreed: the season has been good, with the exception of the Shinwell storyline which doesn't even always appear and has even appeared as an appendix to one episode. The humour, chemistry, and all that is still there. If you're watching the show for specific guest stars of course you might be disappointed if that person doesn't appear but it hasn't been like Sherlock Holmes isn't in an episode or whatever (like the season of The X Files without Mulder).

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
This season has definitely been coasting, but there's still been some really inspired Holmes/Watson dialogue and relationship development. That chemistry has carried the entire series, because outside of Morland (and like 3 episodes of Moriarty) there haven't been a lot of story-moving characters that fit well with both of them.

Also, before this most recent episode, how long had it been since Gregson and Bell had a scene together without Holmes or Watson in it?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shinewall arc paid off. :3:

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
I'm starting to see Elementary show up on lists of "shows in danger of being cancelled". Too bad. Despite the lack of guest star power I've still enjoyed this season .. it's not like it is last-season-of-Castle-awful.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They need to ramp up the long game/classic adversary Holmes stuff as this show nears its conclusion and never should have let Natalie Dormer be Moriarty if she wasn't going to be available long term.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

jumba posted:

I'm starting to see Elementary show up on lists of "shows in danger of being cancelled". Too bad. Despite the lack of guest star power I've still enjoyed this season .. it's not like it is last-season-of-Castle-awful.

If it helps, it made that list midway through every other season too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it's very possible that this is the last season, which is why it would be nice for Dormer to show up one last time at least.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Pick posted:

I think it's very possible that this is the last season, which is why it would be nice for Dormer to show up one last time at least.

It was pretty clear as soon as they moved it to Sunday. But we are all hoping for one last Moriarty arc now that Dormer is no longer occupied by Game of Thrones.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Yeah I think this season is the logical end point, but I do hope we get a long storyline with Moriarty and Morland before it goes. gently caress it, bring Kitty back too and Mycroft as long he doesn't get to interact with Joan.

Also, this most recent episode reminded me of one recurring gimmick I always love when they bust it out: Sherlock grilling a normal person about their life choices where there's no easy exit to the conversation.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They could fix all the problems by bringing back Clyde

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The big finale needs Morland, Moriarty, and Clyde :colbert:.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

They need to ramp up the long game/classic adversary Holmes stuff as this show nears its conclusion and never should have let Natalie Dormer be Moriarty if she wasn't going to be available long term.

I hope they don't bring her back and I absolutely hate how every goddamn Sherlock Holmes adaptation has to bang on about this supposed long-term rivalry between Holmes and Moriarty. The original Moriarty was essentially a plot device for killing Holmes, shows up once, and gets mentioned maybe three other times? gently caress Moriarty.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Elementary is the wrong show to complain about it, since it's incredibly modest about using Moriarty.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pick posted:

Elementary is the wrong show to complain about it, since it's incredibly modest about using Moriarty.

Which is good and I want it to stay that way.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

I hope they don't bring her back and I absolutely hate how every goddamn Sherlock Holmes adaptation has to bang on about this supposed long-term rivalry between Holmes and Moriarty. The original Moriarty was essentially a plot device for killing Holmes, shows up once, and gets mentioned maybe three other times? gently caress Moriarty.

Oh I agree with that too pretty much - but I just think they needed more than just the MOTW and the Shinwell and Sherlock almost having a girlfriend plots aren't really that compelling. Kitty was better and Dormer/Noble are fantastic so they might as well trot them out again somehow for what is prob the end.

Wait, maybe have them kidnap Clyde and hold him hostage in some Swiss castle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiggum posted:

Which is a good reason to bring her back for the last season. If you're going to do one Holmes story as a finale then make it His Last Bow.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I guess the Shinwell story isn't over. :ohdear: don't get murdered

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kitty's confirmed to come back.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Have any other Wire alumni been on Elementary?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought this one worked well, glad to see it back!

Phi Fi Fo Fum
Dec 28, 2010

Blind Pineapple posted:

Have any other Wire alumni been on Elementary?

There have been a bunch. IMDB lists a 32-credit overlap, of which I recognize about a dozen including D'Angelo, Bubbles, Carver, Frank Sobotka, Chris, Levy, and Pryzbylewski.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did someone manually make that list or is it a feature of the site I never knew about? I'd like to cross reference those actors with The Good Wife and Fringe.

Phi Fi Fo Fum
Dec 28, 2010
It's a feature of the site - collaborations and overlaps under advanced search.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I'm very glad that I learned about that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just do it manually with https://oracleofbacon.org/

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I instantly knew that the ex-wife was in on it because the actress delivered her lines with such an obvious false air of "oh what a shame". I'm not sure if I Iike that because it's giving foreshadowing to the audience, or if I should not like it because Watson failed to pick up on the pretty obvious insincerity.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Was anyone else bothered that apparently Marcus is going to let the ex-cop continue to commit fraud?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Huh, so he really did shave his head.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That episode was boring. The SAG awards ate into the first 13 minutes of my recording so I didn't get the last 13 minutes and I don't even care (I will watch it when it records again in a few hours though). Worst one of the year by far, and it didn't even have Shinwell in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Basically sherlock asks anonymous for help and they hack the plot to save the day

• Locked thread