Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
There are more than 5 edicts and only five slots, implying that you cannot unlock all edicts on any path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

GlyphGryph posted:

There are more than 5 edicts and only five slots, implying that you cannot unlock all edicts on any path

As far as I know there are only 5 edicts to unlock (fire, stone, storm, and then malediction from the library and shadow from Bleden Mark.)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Also Bleden Mark's choice of voice actor sounds like Nerat v2 when his demeanor and reputation makes him seem like he should sound more like he should sound like a younger Laurence Fishburne or something.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hahah, you get 4 wrath with Lethian's crossing for Killing Deya even if you do not kill Deya.

What a hosed up quest.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Hahah, you get 4 wrath with Lethian's crossing for Killing Deya even if you do not kill Deya.

What a hosed up quest.

As long as you don't lose favor, that's actually a good thing if you're trying to power game it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Samuel Clemens posted:

You can end all Edicts on a Disfavored playthtough. I think it's possible on the Chorus path as well, but I'm not sure.

You may have to pick just the right areas for that. I never ended up in fire at all.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

AngryBooch posted:

As long as you don't lose favor, that's actually a good thing if you're trying to power game it.

Good thing, bad thing, the quest is completed as my having done something I didn't do.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

So how exactly does the duelist talent work. I've got a two handed and I've been pumping my parry and have high finesse but I don't notice many riposte attacks? My deflection is something like 55 percent unbuffed, does that include chance to parry? I can't find much good detailed in formation about how the melee combat is determined. I had planned to max duelist then get the 2 hand weapons buffs and just try to riposte for big damage all the time.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
does anybody know what all of the available non-PC combo abilities are? I found Verse and Barik's and it's pretty good, i was hoping there were a few others.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

andrew smash posted:

does anybody know what all of the available non-PC combo abilities are? I found Verse and Barik's and it's pretty good, i was hoping there were a few others.

That's just a special thing for them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm impressed at how totally different Lethian's Crossing is if you don't go there in the Conquest. In my Disfavoured playthrough it effectively didn't matter and beyond the spire I did absolutely nothing there. In my rebel one it's a proper place with loads going on.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Seconding that this game should have more enemy variety.
There's like 4 types of bane, three types of beastfolk and humans who don't seem to vary much beyond groups of mage, archer, two melee setup.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Seconding that this game should have more enemy variety.
There's like 4 types of bane, three types of beastfolk and humans who don't seem to vary much beyond groups of mage, archer, two melee setup.

Also, depending on route, you can end up fighting just one or two of the already very limited enemy types for most of the game, so that doesn't help either.

Mr. Safe
Apr 18, 2009

flashman posted:

So how exactly does the duelist talent work. I've got a two handed and I've been pumping my parry and have high finesse but I don't notice many riposte attacks? My deflection is something like 55 percent unbuffed, does that include chance to parry? I can't find much good detailed in formation about how the melee combat is determined. I had planned to max duelist then get the 2 hand weapons buffs and just try to riposte for big damage all the time.

You have to be using a one-handed weapon with the other hand free. I haven't tested with unarmed yet.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Taear posted:

I'm impressed at how totally different Lethian's Crossing is if you don't go there in the Conquest. In my Disfavoured playthrough it effectively didn't matter and beyond the spire I did absolutely nothing there. In my rebel one it's a proper place with loads going on.

I had the opposite experience. In my first game I booted the Bronze Brotherhood but was betrayed by the Disfavored, so I had to kill the garrison when I got there.

My second play through I left it alone and w,as surprised how populated it ended up being.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I had the opposite experience. In my first game I booted the Bronze Brotherhood but was betrayed by the Disfavored, so I had to kill the garrison when I got there.

My second play through I left it alone and w,as surprised how populated it ended up being.

On the disfavoured path I didn't even get to see the Old Walls.

Also Kills in Shadow seems like a totally poo poo tank compared to Barik, she dies a lot more easily.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 30, 2016

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Taear posted:

Uh... how did you even solve the Edict in Stalwart without entering one of the two Oldwalls?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

flashman posted:

The actual mechanics are somewhat complex, but the short version is that the game compares the attacker's Accuracy with the relevant defensive stat (Dodge, Parry, Endurance, Magic Defense, or Will), and then rolls a random number between 1 and 100 to determine whether the attack was a Miss, Graze, Hit, or Crit. Deflection is simply a percentage of that roll being downgraded one tier, so a Crit would become a Hit, a Hit a Graze, and a Graze a Miss. Riposte only triggers on melee attacks, and only if the attacker actually misses, so you need high Parry (or Dodge if you selected the relevant talent) and high Deflection to maximise its effectiveness.

In addition, there are some melee attacks that never trigger Riposte (mostly the special abilities, but not all of them). Also, if the enemy's melee weapon has more reach than yours, it is possible for him to attack without your character being able to Riposte.

What makes Riposte powerful is the combination of Spectral Blur and Mirror Image, which together with high Finesse can easily give you 100% Hit to Graze and Graze to Miss Deflection and 200+ Parry. With that setup, you'll counterattack very often. Early on, having a shield also helps, though Riposte with two-handed weapons is totally viable as well.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Taear posted:

That is a good thing

Taear posted:

Also Kills in Shadow seems like a totally poo poo tank compared to Barik, she dies a lot more easily.

How have you built her up? With 19 Vig and the +45% Health talents she seems to be tanking everything just fine for me. Out-damages Barik too.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 30, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Make sure you give Kills-in-Shadow a weapon as well, if you haven't. Her unarmed ai is hosed and has trouble attacking.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Make sure you give Kills-in-Shadow a weapon as well, if you haven't. Her unarmed ai is hosed and has trouble attacking.
Also her Titan tree is beastly.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Is unarmed combat mostly to boost the difficulty, or does that path become good later on?

What is the best way to go the anarchist route? I am thinking of aligning myself with the rebels, and then betray them at the end of the first act.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Oasx posted:

What is the best way to go the anarchist route? I am thinking of aligning myself with the rebels, and then betray them at the end of the first act.

I got forced into this path thanks to The stupid kid thing and not knowing psychically the visit the library before doing this dialogue

Honestly this path is fine BUT (and not spoilering this) as mentioned before, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, turn the shield into Mark WITHOUT visiting the tribe leader first. You WILL lose about 13 hours of content.

Side Note: I thought Kills-In-Shadows unarmed was fine with the passive buffs, but didn't try her with a weapon

vvvv: loving this.

Malek fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 30, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Malek posted:

Honestly this path is fine BUT (and not spoilering this) as mentioned before, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, turn the shield into Mark WITHOUT visiting the tribe leader first. You WILL lose about 13 hours of content.

Note that this can be done before obtaining the shield as well. Don't you have to visit her before finding out where the shield is? Basically: Don't leave until you actually get access to the other areas of the map.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Oasx posted:

While doing it that way does make the Act 1 capstone really satisfying, you should be warned that doing so will tank your Vendrien Guard Favor and won't give you enough Wrath to give you both abilities. You know, if you care about these things. Like I do. :(

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
How do I even join the rebels? Can someone spoil who I'm supposed to not kill to avoid getting locked out?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Velius posted:

How do I even join the rebels? Can someone spoil who I'm supposed to not kill to avoid getting locked out?

Pretty much any faction that opposes the Disfavored and the Scarlet Chorus.

The first opportunity comes from the Vendrian Guard when they "ambush you" to talk. Eb is with them and does the talking. Honestly, just leave survivors from civilians, be merciful to the resistant forces and don't gently caress up the baby scenario.

Malek fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 30, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Velius posted:

Don't kill any rebel leaders, and don't capture them, either. Let them get away every time. Do that and you'll unlock the rebel route.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Velius posted:

I spared the two officers, Matani at the bridge, Pelox Florian in the wilderness area, and that was it (apart from not also not murdering Eb). Pelox Florian is going to give you directions to a meeting place.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

If you choose the anarchy path, do you report to Bleden Mark or something? I see him referenced in conjunction with the anarchy route a lot.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Spakstik posted:

If you choose the anarchy path, do you report to Bleden Mark or something? I see him referenced in conjunction with the anarchy route a lot.

Pretty much, yes. Bleden Mark is the main person of anarchy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Patch notes that aren't up on Steam for whatever reason:

quote:

Quest Fixes (Contains Spoilers):Allied faction representatives should be present in Ascension Hall toward the end of the game when sided with the rebel groups, regardless of if you have responded to Bleden Mark.
The battle with Nerat will end properly after his ending speech if you choose to engage him in battle.
"Armies of the North" should now be given to you after killing Nerat last.
Players who kill Bleden Mark and then earn Tunon's submission will no longer be offered fealty by the ghost of Bleden Mark.
"That Which Remains" will update appropriately when shooting the winch and defeating the Unbroken enemies.
The Forge in Lethian's Crossing is open after traversing the Oldwalls and returning to Lethian's Crossing.
While on "In the Shadow of the Oldwall", Welby should appear in the proper location in Twin Rivers.
"At Any Cost" will progress appropriately if you have become the Prima of the Stonestalkers before betraying your alliances and continuing forward without any allied factions.
Bleden Mark's conversations will continue appropriately even when you have the same level of Wrath and Favor with the Disfavored and Scarlet Chorus.
Oath Bound units can be engaged properly in Duskwatch.
Red Fang will talk to the player after a player allied with the Scarlet Chorus betrays their alliance and goes to Gulfglow looking for the Azure Shield.
Acalia will progress the "Language of the Ancients" quest after moving from Effigy to the Burning Library.
Kallion remembers the state of his sister at the end of "Blind Ambition."
Non-combat dialog choices with Kalea now grant the "Blind Ambition" quest as well.
Player who betrayed Jagged Remedy can now advance quest "Bound by Blade" by attacking Mattias in Trapper's Junction.
Osmios will no longer kill Agathon in "Into the Maelstrom."
Players who recruited multiple factions due to an earlier issue can now progress using their existing save.
Stonestalkers will help player seeking their alliance fight Earthshakers in Howling Rock.
Earthshakers now attempt to continue ritual during raid on their Howling Rock fortress.
Garrick no longer thanks player for stealing his tools.
Eb will no longer tell a player who betrayed the rebels which rebel groups they might recruit.
Irentis and his soldiers will now aid an allied player who chose to help him in fighting the Scarlet Chorus.
An objective in the quest "Forge-Bound Iron" no longer incorrectly refers to the defeat of Matani Sybil.
During the Battle of Duskwatch, Agathon will have friends when fighting players allied with the Disfavored.

Text Fixes:
Numerous typos addressed.
Multiple localization improvements.
Ulantis text finalized.
Spoiler: Text Fixes Containing Spoilers

Clarified tooltip for Eb's "Purifying Waters" ability.
Clarified tooltip for Sirin's "Song of Benediction" ability.

Gameplay Fixes:
Multiple crashes reported by the community should no longer occur.
Multiple instances of loot containers that previously did not appear lootable now do.
Numerous minor fixes to enemy presentation in specific scenes.
Player can now use skills to release Disfavored in Rust Canyons.
Liberating Plainsgate from the Chorus now requires killing all members of that faction present.

Spoiler: Gameplay Fixes Containing Spoilers
The World Map is accessible from Ironhaul Trail while allied with the Disfavored.
Eb's "Terratus Embrace" ability will exit properly if companions try to switch weapons while in mid-air.
Eb will speak with player in Act 3 even if she doesn't particularly like them.
Sirin will no longer forget Songs when loading a save.

Audio Fixes:
Numerous new audio cues added throughout game.
Correct music will now play after defeating a specific enemy.
Interface Fixes:
Saves should always be visible in save menu.
Added portraits to the store menu of several vendors.
Halfgate will no longer be referred to as Plainsgate in the Reputation Menu.
Programming Updates:
Reduced significant animation memory overhead.
Improved asynchronous loading of files at startup.
Art Book Update:
A typo has been fixed in an art book heading.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This seems like a game that I'd enjoy the concept of but not the gameplay. Is there a good non-shouty LP of it that doesn't get too bogged down?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Patch notes that aren't up on Steam for whatever reason:

I'm looking at the first item but does this fix the error I've been bitching about non stop lately?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
So, between the railroading of Act 2 and just reading I got locked out of a major area, I fell off the wagon again. Also, reading that the companions, most of which feel fairly half-baked to begin with, don't have any personal quests didn't help.

But while those are the reasons I burned out on Tyranny a bit, I probably would have pushed through that just to see the end if I enjoyed the gameplay.

But...drat. How is this game so much worse than Pillars?
The puzzles barely deserve being called that and traps are still just red outlines to click on. Except they're also annoyingly placed and I've just rolled my eyes and let somebody run into one and take it when I found one a split second after combat started multiple times.
The enemy variety wasn't great to begin with but things have gotten more samey despite Banes being introduced over time.
Encounter design is nonexistent, unless "put down 5 dudes there, there, and 4 dudes there" counts as design.
Prebuffing should have stayed gone. Not prebuffing usually invited disaster because the combat is just as hectic as PoE's, enemies all zero in on one priority target, and the lovely wound mechanic means getting wounded early on can lead to a character spiraling towards a KO. I can remember two early KOs during what I guess counts as boss fights (there was a dude with a name present) that happened because I didn't prebuff. Because my pride wouldn't take that and fighting a man down after like 20 seconds is not a great feeling I would reload, prebuff, and not even get anyone wounded.
It's also possibly the first game where I tried to take as many passives as possible because mindless cooldown-juggling is dumb and I still ended up with like 6-8 activated abilities on everyone. Before counting spells. Probably more. And way too many of those abilities are way too bland to deserve contributing to the micro-managing. When I've got dozens of abilities and spells to juggle what I don't need is one that gives a minor damage increase and some negligible status effect. I stopped using all of Verse's stuff except Fury's Embrace.
On that note, I picked abilities mostly at random without planning for builds and feel I accidentally broke the game multiple times. At the same time the game seems to have its share of trap choices. I restarted once when I realized that specializing in two types of magic and not putting all dialogue skills at intermediate (30ish) levels is pointless/actively detrimental.
Whenever I played I felt that I should have stuck with PotD to get some challenge out of it while simultaneously wanting to put the game on Story Mode just to get the combat over with faster.
It's far from the worst game I've ever played, of course, but it's a loving mess.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

So, between the railroading of Act 2 and just reading I got locked out of a major area, I fell off the wagon again. Also, reading that the companions, most of which feel fairly half-baked to begin with, don't have any personal quests didn't help.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "locked out of a major area?" In three of the four act II paths, you only visit three of the four main areas. Do you mean that you felt like it wasn't telegraphed well enough that you don't get to go to the fourth one, or is there another scenario that I'm not thinking of?

Also, I absolutely agree about pre-buffing. I've gone back to play Pillars after this and it's so drat freeing not to feel like I have to cast a pile of spells before every encounter.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
What pre-buffing? I finished the game on hard and honestly didn't notice.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I don't feel burned or disappointed by this game but yes, pre-buffing sucks. You have to do it, otherwise you just are worse off and you risk piling up Wounds, which force you to rest and oh my god do I hate the concept of resting in these games, spending eight hours of R&R in the middle of a siege on Ascension Hall just feels so stupid. Wounds in general seem like an excuse to justify the existence of resting and camping, a mechanic which should be gotten rid of post-haste.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think I am rather glad I've decided to give this one six months or so to get patched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Airfoil posted:

What pre-buffing? I finished the game on hard and honestly didn't notice.

On PotD, pre-buffing plays a rather large role. The difference between having Spectral Blur and Mirror Image on everyone or not is huge.

• Locked thread