Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Is anyone else having trouble finding aluminum after this patch? Two of my planets list it on planetary scans, but I can't find any once I land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The bars finally have customers!

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Performance on PC took a real poo poo dive on shader loading/caching. I started up a new creative save to tinker with and sat for over five minutes waiting for it to finish. This was a problem fixed in a prior patch.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 29, 2016

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I am actually pretty impressed with the update. It feels like there is an actual game now, and since its on steam sale, the price is much more agreeable too!

Survivor mode is a pretty brutal in terms of difficulty, but I am loving the freighters and the base building.

edit: Agree with the above poster on the shader load time - holy poo poo. At least you only have to do it once!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

John F Bennett posted:

The bars finally have customers!

Yeah, it's neat, but they still need to remove the part where walking near an alien for the first time shuts off the UI for five seconds.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So how much of the game do you have to play until you get access to those machines that automatically mine things for you, cause that's was my biggest annoyance with the game.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
So far I've only died on the ground in Survival and it seems I lose my suit inventory every time, so I quickly send stuff to the ship if it looks like I'm about to die. What happens if I die in space on Survival? Will I lose my ship inventory? I know before this update it would drop your items in space and you could pick them up again, but I wouldn't be surprised if Survival doesn't work the same way.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
So, I just built storage in my base and I can't for the life of me figure out how to access it. Which menu is it under? I tried using Tab but it still just lists suit, ship, and tool.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Mayor Dave posted:

So, I just built storage in my base and I can't for the life of me figure out how to access it. Which menu is it under? I tried using Tab but it still just lists suit, ship, and tool.

You mean the giant cube storage things? Gotta build them outside and then access them from the terminal on the front.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I bought it when it came out. I played it. I enjoyed it. I was not one of the haters.

This update makes the game better. I am still playing it. I am still enjoying it. I am still not one of the haters.

Let it be known.

So brave.

I'm just happy that people are discussing the game and posting screenshots and stuff instead of just jerking each other off about the game being bad and how long its been since Sean tweeted.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'm just happy that people are discussing the game and posting screenshots and stuff instead of just jerking each other off about the game being bad and how long its been since Sean tweeted.

So brave.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

Is anyone else having trouble finding aluminum after this patch? Two of my planets list it on planetary scans, but I can't find any once I land.

I was having trouble finding Emeril on a planet that detected it on the scanner -- turned out the Emeril was found on the walls of very rounded underground cave chambers I never saw pre-patch.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I wonder if the incredibly low user scores will be misrepresenting the game soon. I know it was incredibly bare bones at release, but with base building and farming this is basically Subnautica by now, right? I haven't played NMS, but is it safe to say this is like Subnautica, except Sub let's you know it's an unfinished game, let's you know what type of game it is so you're not overhyped for something it's not, and comes at a reasonable price for what you get? Because I liked that game until the crafting drove me crazy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm waiting for Survival to be patched to be "not complete and utter bullshit", so I just started a new game on Normal for now.

Loving it all over again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My problem with the game right now is that the base building stuff gives you things to do in a pretty linear fashion where A leads to B leads to C but what planets you get is still pretty random so you have to wander pretty far to continue down the build tree.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Mountaineer posted:

So far I've only died on the ground in Survival and it seems I lose my suit inventory every time, so I quickly send stuff to the ship if it looks like I'm about to die. What happens if I die in space on Survival? Will I lose my ship inventory? I know before this update it would drop your items in space and you could pick them up again, but I wouldn't be surprised if Survival doesn't work the same way.

If you die in space, you lose everything in your ship and respawn in that system's space station.

Which is my only big complaint about survival so far - pirates are loving brutal. Every time I go into space I have to shuffle poo poo around to put whatever I don't want to lose into my exosuit because there's gonna be pirates every 5 minutes and if there's more than 1, I'm pretty much gonna die. I had them scan me in the beginner ship with zero upgrades and zero cargo and it still said "valuable cargo found" and then three pirates showed up and killed me in roughly three seconds.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

First night of trying new patch and already running into bugs. Besides the unfixed bug from before of the quest tracker not knowing where I was in the "make a hyperdrive and gtfo" quest, it also gets confused about my base and only tells me to build things at my base when I'm not at my base. I found a nice home planet in my system with no weather hazards, but the info on everything I just discovered there is showing under a previous (removed by the patch regeneration) planet and the one I am standing on shows no info in it. But I was still able to make my base there and eventually convince the game that I am allowed to teleport there. And I was able to upload and rename the new planet with no info.

I appreciate that one of the first things you can build without even unlocking anything is the little device that acts like the transmission towers before and finds you POIs. That should aid the search for maxing my suit inventory quite a lot, as well as more crafting blueprints.

Pirates bothered me twice tonight but they still aren't much threat on Normal and the quick menu really helps for recharging the shield. Wish it didn't try to pick the zinc first though.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Max22 posted:

I was having trouble finding Emeril on a planet that detected it on the scanner -- turned out the Emeril was found on the walls of very rounded underground cave chambers I never saw pre-patch.
I think I've seen those caves! I figured it was just another new plant causing the colors and didn't investigate. Thanks.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Space stations don't seem to give out suit upgrades anymore. Is a crashed pod the only way to get one now?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Is there anywhere to get it for 5-10 bucks yet?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Bob Socko posted:

I think I've seen those caves! I figured it was just another new plant causing the colors and didn't investigate. Thanks.
I really like how different elements show up more like seams in caves now, its quite neat.

Lugubrious posted:

Which is my only big complaint about survival so far - pirates are loving brutal.
The trouble with pirates is they're totally random and there's literally nothing you can do to keep safe. Just having a 'pirateness' value against systems that balanced safety vs valuable loot so you could plot a safe course while you were starting out, and then wander off into more dangerous areas once you felt strong enough would add important mechanics this game is totally missing. You have different star types which affect the kind of planets you get, but they don't affect pirates AFAIK.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hakimashou posted:

Is there anywhere to get it for 5-10 bucks yet?

PS4 copies can be had for something like 10-15 on ebay, apparently. Maybe those all got snatched up due to the new patch though.

I'm rather liking the survival mode. Haven't even fixed my ship yet, but the constant harassment of the environment making me have to actually think about tactical jetpack and scanner usage is neat. Having to constantly salvage plant life and such for carbon and iron to make power gel and shield shards instead of, well, ignoring everything, is decently done, especially with materials being far scarcer.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

They just need to make your hazard shield recharge more quickly when you get into your ship. I'm having a hard time staying motivated for my survival game when the gameplay is 'afk 3 minutes in ship, come back and play for 2 minutes, go back to ship and afk for 3 minutes. repeat until night time at which point you can either afk for like 10 minutes or go outside and accomplish nothing for 30 seconds at a time'.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

drat Dirty Ape posted:

They just need to make your hazard shield recharge more quickly when you get into your ship. I'm having a hard time staying motivated for my survival game when the gameplay is 'afk 3 minutes in ship, come back and play for 2 minutes, go back to ship and afk for 3 minutes. repeat until night time at which point you can either afk for like 10 minutes or go outside and accomplish nothing for 30 seconds at a time'.
The problem is they want you to make upgrades for all that poo poo, so they start all the defaults at really terrible rates to spur you to want to get better stuff. If you could plan what upgrades you're going to get next that would be okay I guess, but having to get them by randomness really puts a damper on things.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Somehow the error fixed itself so was able to play for a bit. Here's some dumb words about it:

Good things:
- They've definitely improved the ~algorithm~ by a large margin. Now everything doesn't feel as copy-pasted as it did before and you're no longer tripping over alien settlements and plutonium every time you turn around.
- On a similar note, terrain has gotten more varied and creative as well. Like someone mentioned before, the placement of materials feels a little more natural, like finding a pocket of viridium inside of a cave as opposed to floating midair in a huge ball.
- The above also seems to be true for creature generation. Saw some poo poo I'd never seen before last night. Had more variety. Still no sand worms.
- Base building should have been there from the start. Didn't get a chance to mess around too much with it, but it at least gives some additional purpose. Not a huge fan of having to FIND a set spot to build, kind of wish you could just build anywhere. Also, my first base is on a planet with an unstable atmosphere that wants to murder me every time I step outside, but at least the sky is pretty!
- The quick menus are awkward at first, but functional and very welcome. Improved storage space helps a TON, as does the new stacking. Might be why they've removed inventory upgrades from Space Stations..?

poo poo things:
- Still costs $60 when not on sale.
- Bugs, both old and new. Someone already mentioned taking 5 minutes for the shaders to load, but I've also lost the interim loading screen when warping to new systems (just a buggy solid color screen until I pop back in). Also had my first frame rate drop hard last night, but only briefly and only once.
- More aliens are cool but they still just stand there. Waiting. Hoping. Yearning.
- Holy loving poo poo is space combat still a steaming pile of cat vomit. Tried collecting a bounty on a fugitive last night (neat idea) and found the bastard flying low on a planet. I engaged him no problem but during the dogfight the ship's inability to get lower than the invisible bullshit planet barrier wants you to made it loving terrible. Just let me slam into the ground if I screw up, jesus christ. Also turning with any kind of speed is like trying to maneuver a giant fat drunk man on a frictionless surface, and he's all greasy so it's tough to get a hold of him and he's pissed because he doesn't like your opinions on Star Wars.

Ultimately I guess the game feels more alive now and a little less artificial. It's still overshadowed by games like Subnautica and The Forest in my opinion, but there's promise here and it's clear the game could have used another year in development. What was once a horrible fiasco may eventually blossom into something quite spectacular that will inspire game designers for years to come.

I give it a 2/10, even worse than Overwatch.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

what's wrong with overwatch

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am going to try this game again after the patch because I still have a copy and the base building and freighters look kinda cool, but that really sucks that they didn't get rid of that invisible barrier on planets or fix the actual flying in anyway, that was one of the worst aspects

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

CrashCat posted:

The problem is they want you to make upgrades for all that poo poo, so they start all the defaults at really terrible rates to spur you to want to get better stuff. If you could plan what upgrades you're going to get next that would be okay I guess, but having to get them by randomness really puts a damper on things.

Yeah, the random techs are dragging down my survival run. I really want life support upgrades and ship shield upgrades, but mostly I've been finding upgrades for the multi-tool grenade launcher when I still don't have the blueprint for the actual grenade launcher.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
You guys can take solace that this game was at most only 60 bucks, the star citizens are out hundreds and thousands of dollars and SA has a whole forum just for laughing at them.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

hakimashou posted:

You guys can take solace that this game was at most only 60 bucks, the star citizens are out hundreds and thousands of dollars and SA has a whole forum just for laughing at them.

A game that needed more time in development versus a game that will never leave it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Craft shield thingies. They're really not too difficult to get the materials for. Yeah it's not the best solution, but it works well enough for me since at least on my planet scanning generally results in at least one platinum plant showing up nearby if not more. And iron is, well, iron.

Really what I don't like is going from full life support to zero in like 4 dash-jumps. Like holy poo poo that drains your meter fast.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I reinstalled the new GOG version and loaded up my old save and flew around for a while. Landed on a space station to buy supplies for a warp cell and then when I went to take off my ship just beeps at me even though it isn't damaged and doesn't take off. I restarted the game and that didn't work. I see discussion on forums that this is a common bug right now and the recommended solutions are to remove mods and reinstall the game.

I don't have any mods installed, so I deleted the game directory and reinstalled the game, but my ship is still stuck on the station. Before I stopped playing back in August I did edit my ship file to plug in the seed I wanted and max out the slots, so maybe that is what is breaking it now.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

HoboTech posted:

Still no sand worms.

I did see some flying space eels yesterday which is better than nothing i guess

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I did see some flying space eels yesterday which is better than nothing i guess

If they're what I'm thinking of then they were present pre-patch.

I wouldn't be surprised if they looked better now, though.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
lol you can't buy enough plutonium for a single take off from a space station (or useful quantities of any other element)

also pirates are on a literal timer, so if you want to avoid them, hang out in the atmosphere of a planet until you get an incoming alert, dive down into the atmosphere so they abort their scan, then go back into space and do your travellin.

I've never had a game make me feel like this, but every time I play this game I feel like I've been tricked, which sucks, so I'm giving up. gently caress you very much, HG.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Erased my old save to restart normal and I'm honestly impressed. My starting planet was kind of milquetoast, but several deep hurting falls later I learned there were deep canyons hidden everywere, just out of sight. After repairing my ship I learned Thaumium 69 or whatever that fantasy-plutonium stuff is called isn't needed anymore to refuel your impulse-drive. Now you need Iron! Threw me for a loop, but at least this means I have a reason to shoot up strange rock formations outside of my need to infuriate sentinel drones.

Just walking around, looking for poo poo and mining took a couple hours, so I'll probably stop now that my ship is repaired.

Another good thing: Hello Games finally repaired those dumb holes that sometimes opened up in the landscape when caves spawned too close to the surface. Saw no new bugs, but that might be because I only had time to try out 1.1 after the patch 1.11 was released. I'm guessing that one patched everything annoying before I could see it. :v:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Is it possible to build houses inside of the caves on super hostile planets?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dexo posted:

Is it possible to build houses inside of the caves on super hostile planets?

You can only build a base at a place where you find a randomly generated base foundation, so no (unless one manages to spawn in a cave which I don't think can happen).

I just discovered that you can use the freighter summon command while walking around on the surface, which brings it into the upper layers of the atmosphere and looks totally awesome and sci-fi.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

toiletbrush posted:

also pirates are on a literal timer, so if you want to avoid them, hang out in the atmosphere of a planet until you get an incoming alert, dive down into the atmosphere so they abort their scan, then go back into space and do your travellin.
That's sad and hilarious, and I intend to abuse it fully. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/30/13791782/no-mans-sky-false-advertising-results

quote:

Hello Games did not use misleading ads or exaggerate the features of No Man’s Sky on its Steam sales page, according to an investigation by U.K.-based Advertising Standards Authority.

welp

• Locked thread