Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wait, why is there water pouring out of the tire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Ballast for pulling or a front end loader. You fill the tires with water (with CaCl sometimes apparently) for extra weight. Helps with balance and traction.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Wait, why is there water pouring out of the tire?

Ballast. (efb, also around here they use CaCl2 because it doesn't freeze and doesn't harm any nearby plant life if it leaks out)

Ferremit posted:

It's a radial, tubeless

Huh. Radials still don't get anywhere near farm equipment here AFAIK
Might be able to get away with a patch still, need a big one though (and I'd tube it to prevent separation, that way if it does fail a cured repair at a retread plant is still possible)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 29, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Honda, Honda, Honda. Why do you run coolant through the IACV?

To prevent icing in cold climates. You'll notice it also runs through the throttle body.

Down in arctic Arizona, you can safely loop those lines.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also through the FITV and the goddamned throttle body?

I mean, if everything's a constant temperature, I get that it's easier to control things. But, still. Coolant in the Idle Air Control Valve?! Jesus christ. This is a simple engine. Everything else on it is simple, easy to understand. Comparable to only my Enfield in engine simplicity. But this?!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Also through the FITV and the goddamned throttle body?

I mean, if everything's a constant temperature, I get that it's easier to control things. But, still. Coolant in the Idle Air Control Valve?! Jesus christ. This is a simple engine. Everything else on it is simple, easy to understand. Comparable to only my Enfield in engine simplicity. But this?!

Could be worse

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

:stonk:

That's utterly terrifying.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

How have you not heard to go to AI joke for coolant troubles?
I see it almost every other page in this thread.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A workmate had it on his Skoda, they replaced the entire loom. On a car with a used value of about £2500.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Ballast. (efb, also around here they use CaCl2 because it doesn't freeze and doesn't harm any nearby plant life if it leaks out)

Huh. Radials still don't get anywhere near farm equipment here AFAIK
Might be able to get away with a patch still, need a big one though (and I'd tube it to prevent separation, that way if it does fail a cured repair at a retread plant is still possible)

Ballast helps with stability and traction- Each of my rear tyres has about half a tonne of water/glycol mix in them and the fronts are about 300kg each. Nearly 1.5T of tyre ballast lowers your centre of gravity to the point where this thing will happily climb and descend 40 degree slopes and a 30 degree side slope, while making you poo poo yourself, isnt that big a deal.

We've got radials on it because it would do 2-3000kms a year driving on the road between parks. Bit different from a farm tractor that might go paddock to paddock, our two furthest parks apart are nearly 3hrs travel time each way.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Landrover have a similar issue on one of the diesel engines where engine oil can get into the wiring via part of the injector loom and can then make its way right through the loom back to the ECU connector, before getting into the ECU and causing issues in there.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ferremit posted:

Ballast helps with stability and traction- Each of my rear tyres has about half a tonne of water/glycol mix in them and the fronts are about 300kg each. Nearly 1.5T of tyre ballast lowers your centre of gravity to the point where this thing will happily climb and descend 40 degree slopes and a 30 degree side slope, while making you poo poo yourself, isnt that big a deal.

We've got radials on it because it would do 2-3000kms a year driving on the road between parks. Bit different from a farm tractor that might go paddock to paddock, our two furthest parks apart are nearly 3hrs travel time each way.

Thats a lot of weight sloshing around. Christ.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 29, 2016

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not baffled (I'm not aware of a way to do that), but the fluid pretty much stays stationary inside the tire, i.e. the wheel rotates but the fluid doesn't. Not to say sloshing doesn't happen, but it's not like you're starting or stopping or changing direction rapidly.

Filled tires are also a lot nicer on axles and bearings than frame weight, not to mention that CaCl2 or beet juice is a lot cheaper than cast iron weights.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Tomarse posted:

Landrover have a similar issue on one of the diesel engines where engine oil can get into the wiring via part of the injector loom and can then make its way right through the loom back to the ECU connector, before getting into the ECU and causing issues in there.

I love that one, I think it was freelanders that suffer from it? Would wick the leak all the way up the loom to under the drivers seat where important stuff lived.

Iirc some freelanders also have a problem where they don't shut off if you hold the brake pedal down. Something to do with electricity leaking from lit break light circuit into the fuel solonoid that keep it pumping and running?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tomarse posted:

Taking this "automatic rust proofing" joke a little far aren't they?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Taking this "automatic rust proofing" joke a little far aren't they?

Gotta make sure the ecu stays oiled and can't rust. Plus it helps keep all that electrical smoke inside instead of escaping like it once did.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Captain Hair posted:

I love that one, I think it was freelanders that suffer from it? Would wick the leak all the way up the loom to under the drivers seat where important stuff lived.
TD5 engines, Discos especially.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Freelanders are absolute garbage vehicles from pretty much every angle.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Ferremit posted:

Yep, same on the family farm. All the tractor tires are partially fluid-filled for ballast/traction. I think even some of the kit at the mine does it as well, but I'd have to double-check on that.
The tires on a tractor never spin fast enough to have to worry about the fluid achieving some sort of rotational inertia to the point it would impact stability.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

clam ache posted:

Gotta make sure the ecu stays oiled and can't rust. Plus it helps keep all that electrical smoke inside instead of escaping like it once did.

Steampunk as gently caress.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Terrible Robot posted:

Yes.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

For some reason my parents always buy the worst cars. I remember coming home from my second year of university and finding they had bought themselves a Freelander. All I could really think to ask them was why? They were actually a little offended but then again so was I. In the end their biggest complaints were fuel economy and the cost of tires, which you could have worked out from a single glance at the wretched thing but I guess they just wanted to live the suburban dream a little.

It was replaced by a Vauxhall Corsa :gonk:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 29, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

RillAkBea posted:

For some reason my parents always buy the worst cars. I remember coming home from my second year of university and finding they had bought themselves a Freelander. All I could really think to ask them was why? They were actually a little offended but then again so was I. In the end their biggest complaints were fuel economy and the cost of tires, which you could have worked out from a single glance at the wretched thing but I guess they just wanted to live the suburban dream a little.

It was replaced by a Vauxhall Corsa :gonk:
The thing is, there's nothing actually wrong with Corsas.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Except the most unearned name this side of "Bonneville".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Data Graham posted:

Except the most unearned name this side of "Bonneville".
It's meant to be the Spanish derivative, it's different to the Italian meaning, its connotations are more "gentle cruise by sail" than "race" (they were first built in Spain).

As for Bonneville, the Pontiac may not have a direct reason for the name, but the Triumph does.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

InitialDave posted:

As for Bonneville, the Pontiac may not have a direct reason for the name, but the Triumph does.

Hey

(NASA lifting body tow vehicle)

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/multimedia/imagegallery/M2-F1/EC92-04152.html

"The car was a 1963 Pontiac Catalina convertible, fitted with a 421-cubic-inch tri-power engine like those being run at the Daytona 500 auto race. The vehicle also had a four-speed transmission and a heavy-duty suspension and cooling system. A roll bar was also added and the passenger seat turned around so an observer could watch the M2-F1 while it was being towed. The rear seat was removed and a second, side-facing seat installed. The lifting-body team used the Pontiac for all the ground-tow flights over the next three years."

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 30, 2016

donut
Feb 4, 2001

PainterofCrap posted:

Hey

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/multimedia/imagegallery/M2-F1/EC92-04152.html

"The car was a 1963 Pontiac Catalina convertible, fitted with a 421-cubic-inch tri-power engine like those being run at the Daytona 500 auto race. The vehicle also had a four-speed transmission and a heavy-duty suspension and cooling system. A roll bar was also added and the passenger seat turned around so an observer could watch the M2-F1 while it was being towed. The rear seat was removed and a second, side-facing seat installed. The lifting-body team used the Pontiac for all the ground-tow flights over the next three years."
On that note, I doubt there have ever been any Pontiac Catalinas on Catalina, as they exceed the maximum dimensions for vehicles allowed on the island.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

donut posted:

On that note, I doubt there have ever been any Pontiac Catalinas on Catalina, as they exceed the maximum dimensions for vehicles allowed on the island.

But the Consolidated PBY Catalina…

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The single seat can work, you just gotta know when.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 30, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gorilla Salad posted:

I know you just put it here as an example, but this is in the wrong thread by a country mile.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What a blast from the past, I remember seeing this on a bubblegum wrapper back in the 90s, that thing is pretty amazing.

And I think it's a pretty great solution for driver position but also a practical one when you don't really have enough space for two normal rows. I wish more cars did that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PainterofCrap posted:

Hey

"The car was a 1963 Pontiac Catalina convertible..."
But the Bonneville came out in the fifties, so he's right.

The Triumph Bonneville is named because it's a twin, and a Triumph twin was used to crack one of the land speed record classes.

donut posted:

That's brilliant.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

out of curiosity I started computing the strength of the materials that would be needed to keep the driver's seat in place in a ~35MPH crash into an immovable barrier

the numbers almost immediately became ridiculous

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yes but you see, you want you and your seat to be thrown clear because

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Dagen H posted:

Yes but you see, you want you and your seat to be thrown clear because

EJECTOR SEAT

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wrong thread for sure. I would drive that all day, every day.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Test pilots have my utmost respect for even considering flying that thing, and all of the other weird poo poo NASA came up with.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'll have to take pictures of this soon. Discount tire stripped two lug studs in the process of replacing my wheels and tires. No biggie, rolled it next door and had them re-stud the hub. Car still shakes at speed, poo poo. I hear brakes clicking when I stop and the wheel shakes. Okay, new brakes.

Pull the caliper, no biggie. Undo one caliper bracket bolt, fine, second one...why won't this bolt spin off? I had to wrench it all the way out, these stupid fucks cross-threaded a critical bolt. The threads on the bolt itself are buggered up and the bracket's almost stripped. No new parts in Houston, gently caress this stupid city. Pull the rotor :stare: WHAT THE gently caress? They must have used an impact gun with no washers under the socket to pull the lug studs in. Every single stud has a ring of galling on the face of the hub. You know, the surface that needs to be within .002" to keep the whole wheel assembly from shaking? I did what I could to grind the burrs down, but I had to order a new hub/bearing assembly because I no longer trust this flange face. I paid $387 for THIS? A stripped thread and a galled hub face. I'll be calling them when they open. I had to put it all back together and pray that top bolt doesn't back out while I'm on the freeway until I can get a new loving caliper bracket from scoobaru. All this because I over-torqued the lugnuts to 100 Lb/Ft instead of 75 and didn't loosen the lugs with the car's weight on it :ughh:

E: That'll teach me to work on my daily driver during the week.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 30, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Take pictures, cancel the payment with your bank, and tell them they need to pay for the replacement parts or you'll see them in court? That's some high grade fuckery.

Speaking of high grade fuckery, take a gander at this. I was really confused till I read a bit...
https://www.facebook.com/100001808796830/videos/1252202608183354/

turns out that's a ford/international 7.3L IDI nonturbo. The RMS rides on the OD of the crank bolt flange and the flywheel bolt holes are through drilled on this particular motor. So if the crankcase gets filled with something past the bottom of the crank flange, it will pour out when you remove the bolts. I'm guessing this truck was sank in a pond or stream while offroading... which is why water pours out till the level drops enough that the oil floating on top of it can get to the holes.

e:
don't do burnouts in your brodozer with a janky (probably lift blocks) rear suspension!
https://www.facebook.com/DieselTruckAddicts/videos/1357927934239217/

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
lmao fucker deserved that just for the stupid stack he's running.