Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: -1 | Menace: +0
Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Party at the Cars

Whisperwind arrived and Breaking Point's barriers were back up in full force. The moment was over. Perhaps they all could enjoy a lady's night soon, but the mission wouldn't wait any longer. The lab had flagged some odd discrepancies in the analysis of the Protectotron cars -- their conclusion was an extraterrestrial origin. It made as much sense as anything. Alien tech could work on a fundamentally different paradigm than that of Earth tech. Sinclair's super-tech was fairly adaptable, however, so integrating any technological developments that she could glean from the scans and the New Flyer's new-model core harmonization engine wouldn't be impossible. Difficult, yes, but that was what the lab crew was paid to do. She'd keep that revelation under her hat for the moment -- no need to complicate things.

She looked over at Expatriot, "Don't worry about the New Flyer. I've got a complete scan and I've removed the samples I need to replicate it in my workshop. It would be interesting to have for testing purposes, but that's certainly a tertiary objective. As for the cars, we do have a problem -- the engine on the lead car is inoperable. I can spoof the signal and lead the convoy personally, but it would require that I deactivate and reroute my detection-avoidance systems. We'd be lit up like a Christmas tree."

Tricky fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Freak: 0 | Danger: -1 | Trouble: +2 | Superior: 0 | Menace: +2
Curses!: 3/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Arrogant, Doubting | Location: Garage of DOOM

Whisperwind sauntered over to the most ridiculously colored car, as if lying claim to it, before speaking.

"Haha."

"Sure, you people do your thing, I do mine. Not much I can help with here though."

"However, I suppose I can try to listen in on past conversations had here to see if there's like passwords or something mentioned." Whisperwind snickered, "You know, because unlike some people here I try to be actually helpful."

"Haha."

He stood still for a moment, a just about audible, but strangely melodic incantation wafting from under his hood. It's an odd thing, it seems like he would be a very good singer if he ever actually spoke up. After a while he stops, and stands in total silence as his illusionary face twists into a delighted grin, after which he lets out a long, hissing sort of laugh.

Whisperwind wiped away an illusionary tear from his illusionary face as his laughter died down.

"Wow."

His eyes traversed the ladies present, boring into Breaking Point and Anarchy in particular.

"I sure found out something."

"Haha."

He made no further comment, except grinning oh-so knowingly as he leaned against the car he had chosen. Well, no audible comment at least. Breaking Point could just about make out a mocking message ringing in the back of her skull, before it faded to nothing.

"Almost pathetic enough to be adorable. Almost."

"Haha."

quote:

Theantero: I'm unleashing my Whisper powers to BE HELPFUL totally not just to spy on my allies and girlfriend nope
Theantero: !r 2d6-1
Krysmbot: Theantero, 9-1 = 8

Temporary or Unstable.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fre: -2 | Dan: 0 | Tro: +3 | Sup: +1 | Men: +1
Curses! 4/5 | Conditions: None | Location: garage -> basement | Infamy: 1

Phantom Thief gave Whisperwind a thumbs up and blinked when he teleported away. The surreal effect of watching someone vanish always muddied the mind of onlookers, even if they were expecting it. P.T. shook his head and focused on the task at hand.

When he entered the garage, he threw a look at Expatriot and yelled: "Sorry about leaving you to your devices! I will proceed to shrink your target of opportunity, then leave you for a few more instants!"

He ran up to the mini-jet and raised an eyebrow while holding both of his hands against its cold, metal frame. Concentrating a bit, he carefully reduced it in size until it shrank to the dimensions of roughly a large apple, and made the concrete crack under the pressure beneath it. It was now a perfect chrome spehre with a small jet icon identifying it. He remenisced about how neat this ability was. Not the shrinking, but the fact that it came with automatic labeling of the shrunken items. It had a certain neat tidiness.

P.T. figured BP should be able to carry this, although dropping it on someone's toes would flatten them to a few nanometers at most. He vowed to not be anywhere underneath her while she would be carrying it.

quote:

13:21 Deltasquid sounds good
13:22 Deltasquid rolling to case that joint! heart of the dice, show me the way into Omega's secret basement! This is not innuendo!
13:22 Deltasquid !r 2d6+3
13:22 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 6+3 = 9
13:22 Yamifenrir it's totally innuendo
13:23 Deltasquid "what is the best way in"
13:23 Deltasquid that is my question
13:23 Deltasquid and then in my post I'll act upon that knowledge
13:24 Yamifenrir There's a hidden door that you need to activate via a hidden button at the base of one of the support pillars in the garage
13:24 Yamifenrir find that, and you can just waltz right in

As he contemplated the orb's weight, his eyes drifted along one of the cracks in the concrete until he saw a cracked tile at the base of one of the support pillars. Hidden underneath it was a small glass cover protecting an inconspicuous button, which had a screw of some sorts that needed to be loosened before the hatch could be flipped. Curious about this button, Phantom Thief reached for his tools and undid the safety mechanism, then pressed the button which gave a loud "click" sound.

He'd expected a door or gate to open in the garage, but none of the sort happened. Instead, he could hear a mechanism unlocking in the floor below him, approximately where the white painting had been hanging instants before.

Phantom Thief considered telling his teammates, but then decided against it. He had a minute or two before they had to leave, which was just enough time to double back to the room below and check out what changed.

When he reached the bottom of the stairwell, he found that the wall had indeed turned to the side, revealing a hidden room behind this first one. He smirked. The other painting had been a decoy after all. The real treasure was here.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 7, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: +1 | Danger: -2 | Trouble: +1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 0/5 | Infamy: 1| Conditions: Afraid | Location: With The Cars
Deck: 2 Cards

"OhhhHHHHhhh???" Anarchy tilts her head at Whisper and gives him a strange smile. It's scrunched up way too tightly, like she just ate something way too sour. Or she's trying way too hard to look confident and not nervous right now. "You found some secrets, huh???"

Anarchy bares her teeth, and leans in toward Whisper with a softly threatening look. "Must be some juicy stuff in there!"

She takes a few steps forward, until she's right in Whisper's personal face. And she leans forward even more until her face penetrates his hood's illusory shadow. Then she looks him in the eyes -- his real eyes. "I wonder what you want to do with it!"

<Takanago> Anarchy pierces Whisper's mask
<Takanago> .roll 2d6+2
<Platonibot> Takanago: 9 (2d6+2=6, 1)
Asking:
-What do you intend to do?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Curses!: 3/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Arrogant | Location: Garage of DOOM

The grin on Whisperwind's face couldn't help but waver at the unexpected intrusion by his girlfriend. His eyes darted across her features in some alarm, before he kissed her on the nose, took a step back and raised his hands defensively. He'd just have to smooth this over like he always did. No problem.

Removing Doubting

"Haha."

"To do with it? Honey, you know I wouldn't mess with you except in good fun~"

He stepped in close again, pushing his face on Anarchy's a bit, having managed to fix his expression into a grin once again.

"Truly, the fact that you think I would just breaks my heart."

"Haha."

quote:

Theantero: Anyways, Known Unknowing Anarchy (without burning my Influence beforehand)
Theantero !r 2d6+3
16:16 Krysmbot Theantero, 4+3 = 7

Giving Anarchy's roll -2 (it's still a success), Removing Doubting, Opening myself to retribution, suspicion, or judgment.

Takanago posted:

-What do you intend to do?

You can tell that there is truth in Whisperwind's words. In that he does not intend to blackmail or use this information against you, at least. For as much as he likes to give off airs of being cleverer than he is, Whisperwind is still an opportunist at heart. Gaining this info was not some great plot, nor is it a piece in some grand design. He might bring it up later if he senses it gives him a momentary advantage, but that would likely only happen if your relationship broke up in the first place.

He might use some of the gleaned knowledge to annoy the rest of the team members for some cheap laughs though, and perhaps to maybe get under their skin to make them easier to prod into doing what he wants.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Party at the Cars

Breaking Point's eyes narrowed as she watched the interplay between Anarchy and Whisperwind. Anarchy was certainly too good for him, though, to be fair, that seemed an incredibly low bar to clear these days. She had a fair idea of what had just happened -- between the mocking whisper, the threats to reveal secrets, and his general game plan, it seemed likely that the earlier conversation between herself, Anarchy, and Expatriot had been compromised. It would be a mistake to assume that anything was private when Whisperwind was lurking around.

Breaking Point's eyes started glowing terminator-red before she shook her head and they faded back to normal. No. Not that way. It would just serve to isolate her again.

Naomi looked at Anarchy and audibly smirked, "Don't worry about it, Anarchy. What's he going to do? Make fun of me for actually thinking that this-" she waved an arm, indicating the team, "-is worthwhile? That I actually consider some of you as friends? That I'm not just a well-designed killing machine? Oh no, I'll be emotionally crippled forever. Let him play his games if he wants. He's just jealous."

quote:

[17:35:35] <Tricky> BP's going to cow/rebuke Anarchy since she can't fix the car
[17:35:39] <Tricky> !r 2d6+1
[17:35:40] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 9+1 =

Reusing earlier roll per Yami, +1 plan and Anarchy gets her choice of options if she opens up.

She shot a pair of invisible giant finger guns at Whisperwind, then turned back to the lead car. Maybe she could rig up some signal boosters? Backdoor the signal on her wide-band jammers and stealth systems? If the signal was still masked, but the cars were able to filter out the jamming, that might help bypass the threat of detection. Or, hell, maybe she could just get Phantom Thief to ball them all up. Her Grav Drive was better than ever. There was a non-zero chance that between it and her strength she would be able to carry them all.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Curses!: 0/5 | Infamy: 1| Conditions: None! | Location: With The Cars

"Oh, I didn't know you were so fragile!" Anarchy suddenly reaches her hand into Whisper's hood and roughly messes up his hair. "What, can't you take what you dish out?"

Then she steps back and starts giggling maniacally. "He he he he!" As she finishes laughing, a big ol' grin is left on her face. Any trace of her previous menace seems to have disappeared. Looks like she's not mad about anything.

Her smile widens when BP speaks up. "Heh! You're RIGHT, Bee-Pee!" She starts twirling around like an ecstatic ballerina. "We're a TEAM! And what can stop a-"

Suddenly, in mid-spin, Anarchy sees something. SOMETHING that makes her suddenly stop and gasp. "WAAAAIT! I GOT IT!"

Anarchy starts waving her arms around, pointing at everybody and everything. "TEAM! We're a TEAM! I know how we can get all this stuff out of here! It makes SO MUCH sense!"

"OKAY!" The hacker points at the lead car. "So the main car's engine is BUSTED! We can't just DRIVE it out! And if we can't DRIVE, that means our plan to CLOAK the cars is ruined! RIGHT?!"

Anarchy grabs a random screw from off the floor, then chucks it as hard as she can at one of the ceiling lights. "WRONG!!! We don't NEED to cloak! We can just hide in plain sight! And I know exactly HOW!"

"So the Cops are gonna be here in less than five minutes! With SOMETHING! And that's bad! But what if it WASN'T?! What if it was JUST WHAT WE NEEDED!"

Anarchy waves her arms theatrically, as if she was performing some kind of magic trick. "Imagine THIS!" She puts her finger under her nose to imitate a mustache, and then speaks lowers her voice to sound vaguely mannish and mundane. "You're some dumb cop with a wife, two kids, and a mortgage. And you've got to make some delivery to some rich guys mansion in the middle of a night. A special delivery, clearly! Let's hope nothing BAD happens to it!"

Then Anarchy spins around in place and faces the other direction, pretending to be someone else. "But then OH NO! What's THIS?! Right when you're making your super-special delivery you're ATTACKED! By some VILE VILLAIN! WHAT WILL YOU DO?!"

Anarchy spins around again, pretending to be some third person. "BUT THEN! Before you have a chance to call for backup! It's-!"

Quickly, Anarchy runs over to Breaking Point and hides behind her. She then grabs the cyborg's giant arms and, with some pretty noticeable effort, starts moving them around like BP is just a giant puppet. "WHAT'S THIS?! IT'S THE PROTECTRON-5! FULLY RE-ASSEMBLED IN ALL ITS GLORY! Where did they come from? Who's piloting it?! It doesn't matter! All that matters is that they're here to save YOU!"

"Boom! Ksssh!" Anarchy makes some explosion sounds with her mouth. "They fight that villain that threatened you! It's amazing! It's GLORIOUS! It's VIRAL! But OH NO! The villain's getting away! Don't worry, though, Protrectron will chase them! They'll chase them ALL the way back to their secret lair!"

Anarchy jumps back out from behind Breaking Point, and then looks at everyone excitedly. "Get it?! We kill two birds with one stone! We'll have one or two of us attack the special delivery to create a distraction, and then the rest of us can combine the robot can go and 'save' the day! What better way to hide a robot than not hide it at all?"

"Plus!" Anarchy starts pulling up some holographic circuit diagrams. "The engine on the lead car may be gone, but that doesn't mean it's bipedal circuits don't work! This is totally our best option! And- OH WAIT!"

The hacker suddenly starts shouting like she's won the lottery. "AAAAAAAH! How did I not NOTICE this!" She starts rapidly hopping on her feet excitedly. "Emoji! Get over here! EMOJI!"

Emoji, the tiny and lovable robot dog, runs towards her and then leaps into her arms. What a good dog. "Aaah!" Anarchy repays this dutiful kindness by turning the boy around and opening a panel on his back. "I should have- I KNEW IT! So that's why the hero lab had a pet! And THAT'S why he was originally set to Japanese!"

Anarchy gives everyone an incredibly wide grin. "I think he was built to interface with this system! GUYS! HE'S A ROBOT-PILOTING ROBOT DOG!"

Anarchy clears Afraid from BP's rebuke!

<Takanago> Anarchy cooks up a Superior scheme
<Takanago> .roll 2d6+2
<Platonibot> Takanago: 8 (2d6+2=4, 2)
Marking Heat

tl;dr: Anarchy says one/two people should attack the police delivery to create a diversion, then the rest of the group should "save" the cops with the combined robot and then run away with it

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Freak: +1 | Danger: +1 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: Paranoid | Doubting Location: The Car Collection Show Room

“No, absolutely not!” Expatriot said, slamming the car door behind her as she climbed back up to her feet, slashing the air with the flat of her hand. It lacked a bit of impact with her hair lying flat and her jacket unevenly faded from the wash of Sinclair Industries universal solvent she’d been introduced to earlier.

“Resurrecting Protectron-5’s legend is the fourth-to-last thing we want to do right now.” She said, pointing a gloved hand at Anarchy.exe, “We’ll devalue the hell out of the merchandise, and a fifty meter battle robot is a response vastly disproportionate to anything we could bring out on the spot. Capes will be combing the city looking for where we docked him for weeks, this is a quiet job.”

She pinched the bridge of her nose. Okay … so … two minutes to come up with an alternative. She took a deep breath. Okay, time to do the Mastermind thing.

“Alright, there’s nothing for it. We Capsulize Red and give stewardship of it to BP, the rest we leave in vehicle mode. Anarchy.exe, you’ll drive green. Whisperwind, you said you wanted garish, take yellow. PT, you drive black, sorry to give you the boxy torso vehicle.” She opened up her jacket and produced a small remote, pressing a few keys.

“Netherwrath should have procured a Blue Manchurian van and uniforms. We’re just going to play it smooth and drive right by the cops.” She said, “And if they twitch a whisker in our direction, I’ll introduce them to The Overcompensator. That should give them something more pressing to tangle with, while conveniently explaining why Blue Manchurian is moving merchandise off-site.”

“No time for back-chat, move!” she said, snapping her hand up and clenching her hand into a fist, waiting for the others to move as she watched the seconds tick down on her HUD’s chronometer.

“Netherwrath, did you catch that? We’re putting you into play as our cover.” She said, hopping over a line of cars towards the vehicle she’d singled out for herself, “Omega, where the hell are you? We’re pulling out!”

[02:33] <JusticeGrieves> Election's Over, Expatriot tries to Execute a Plan (Wagering her Supervehicle)
[02:33] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6+2
[02:33] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 9+2 = 11
Crossing out the
Seize All Five Cars and holding an Infamy.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 9, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 4/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Arrogant | Location: Garage of DOOM

Once again, Whisperwind was somewhere he probably ought not be. That is, within arm's reach of Expatriot, running his mouth.

"A perfectly functional and respectable plan. Pragmatic and oh so excessively, utterly boring."

"Fitting for someone fresh off an assembly line."

"Haha."

Keeping an eye out for any potential lashing out at his person, Whisperwind continued.

"And as much as I can appreciate those with more pragmatic tastes in villainy, can't really agree with you stealing my girlfriend's thunder."

"Remember that this is a team operation, boss. There are pragmatic considerations in indulging your teammates' wants on occasion, too."

"Especially when they are rad as hell."

"Haha."

quote:

Theantero: Provoking Expat with extra special GM permission!
Theantero: !r 2d6-1
Krysmbot: Theantero, 6-1 = 5

Beh.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 9, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry | Location: (The Ruins of the) Secret Basement

Naomi quickly tuned out as the group devolved into sniping over how to exfiltrate with the vehicles. Whatever. She already had what she needed. There was a more pressing matter in any case. She had noticed that there was a suspicious blank spot on the map. Phantom Thief must have thought he was being sneaky when he skulked off earlier. Clearly he knew how to get into... whatever it was. Always with the hidden agendas. Always trying to jockey for advantage on the most insignificant of matters! This team, as much as she did care about some of the members, was absolutely infuriating.

Her fists began to pound into a floor, opening a passage large enough for her frame to fit through. She was done being stealthy. Done avoiding noise. Done being sensitive. She dropped into the hidden room above Phantom Thief, her eyes glowing crimson with anger.

quote:

[14:17:23] <Tricky> BP's going to punch her way into that suspicious blank spot on the minimap! (Unleash to reshape environment)
[14:17:26] <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
[14:17:27] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 5+3 =

Marking Angry to make it stable and not risk bringing down the mansion!

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: Paranoid | Doubting Location: The Car Collection Show Room

Of course. She points out they have no time for back-chat, and what does she get? Whisperwind all up in her grill, trying to soothe his own ego after Anarchy.exe so casually emasculated him in front of the rest of them. Expatriot watched the seconds tic down in the corner of her vision as she squared up Whisperwind in her visor, a tiny crosshair appearing between his lantern-like illusory eyes as the visor overlayed a thermographic reading over his image so she could identify any armor woven into his hoodie.

“I think you should remember this is a team operation.” She said levelly, that dig about assembly line people had hit close to home, but then Whisperwind was always talking poo poo so it had lost some impact, “The difference between selling “lost” super-tech and stolen super-tech that people are actively looking for is huge. We might get a third of the asking price, and the whole purpose of this drat job is to generate revenue so we can operate securely in the future.” He arm swung wide and to the side, but it didn’t come around to try and take Whisperwind’s head off, instead it pointed at Anarchy.exe.

“When the budgeting comes due and you’ve got to choose between the high speed internet and food, what do you think she’s going to prioritize?” she hissed, “How long do you think you can keep her duty-ready on poptarts and pilfered food? Stealing what we need just raises our profile in useless ways and jeopardizes our damned security. You want to blow the whole damned job for funsies!?”

And then, with jackhammer force, Breaking Point’s fists smashed into the concrete, kicking up dust and chips of hardened concrete in their wake as their cybernetic heavy hitter started burrowing down for … some unexplained reason.

“And there she goes!” Expatriot called out irritably, spreading her arms out wide like a carnival master appealing to the crowd, the sound of pulverizing stone and pneumatic fists echoing off the high vaulting ceilings of the show room. And now they had no courier for the lead car, lovely.

“Jesus Christ.” She said, turning on her heel sharply, “Fine. Do whatever the gently caress you want. Apparently I have some cops to blow up.” She turned up her collar, marching for the front of the estate with her hands balled into fists, taking long quick steps as she hunched her shoulders.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Fre: +0 | Dan: +2 | Tro: +1 | Sup: -2 | Men: +2
Curses! 4/5 | Conditions:

Netherwrath was going to legitimately follow the plan and just be cover for the team. Really! She'd gotten the chaos out of her system on her solo jobs, and right now she needed to pull something ambitious and tricky, all the better to keep the public guessing. Unfortunately, it looked like once again BP had screwed up by drilling somewhere they shouldn't have. She looked around her van full of getaway drivers. "Sorry boys, looks like I'm improvising tonight. Drive us to the front gate, and stay put while I try to get things back on track."

As they drove, she did her best to tuck in and tighten up her uniform so that it looked a little less like it was pulled from someone else's unconscious body, and pulled a Blue Manchurian hat low over her eyes. She hopped out of the van, shielding her eyes from the camera gaze with her hat, and hit the front gate buzzer. "'scuse me, folks, I'm Corporal McMahon with Blue Manchurian Security. We just got a level 1 alert from your alarm system, is everything all right?"

[11:35] Green_Bean Distracting people in Capers!
[11:35] Green_Bean !r 2d6+1
[11:35] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 6+1 = 7

I'll take "You get an opportunity" and "You confuse them for some time."

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 20, 2016

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +1 | Menace: -2 | Infamy: 0
Curses!: 4/5 | Conditions: Angry, Paranoid

At least K'lyathi felt justified in thinking that the previous mission was entirely her fault. Once again, everyone was arguing with each other. While it was unfortunate that her nano machines were found by that little robot thing, K'lyathi knew better than to react to Whisper's gloating. When she thought about it, his constant cries for attention were actually become a little humourous to her, so long as they didn't interfere with her plans. She would never let him know that, however.

While she was thinking about the irony of Whisper's temperament in comparison to his powers, K'lyathi suddenly stopped. She could feel the nanomachines inside her bristle and her blood freeze. What the hell was that technology doing there? She didn't think she would encounter such technology so soon. gently caress. She thought she had time before they made their move.

The Dormant Ones were a powerful race and the main rival force of the federation. While she hated the federation, she hated the Dorman Ones more. For one thing, they had technology that could invade other electronic devices and deactivate them, including her nanomachines. Additionally, they were nowhere near as friendly with alien races as her species. Horribly xenophobic, they saw no use for other natural resources and had a tendency to not only decimate species, but they also destroyed planets, meaning less natural resources for her. The fact that they would destroy valuable resources infuriated her to no end. Still, they took over planets through camouflage and intergrating with the home species before attacking when in influential positions. It terrified her to know that they were making their move.

K'lyathi ignored the others as she took time to process this information. She needed to stop them and she couldn't do it alone. After all, she was going to be the one to take over this world, not them. She wished she could keep one of the cars. She wanted to investigate this and see just how it would work. Ideally, she'd be able to counteract the mechanisms that the Dormant Ones used to make her technology useless. She probably was going to have to talk to someone about this. Her mind fleetingly thought about mentioning it to her team, then realised that was a terrible idea. Was she going to have to go to Crag's team. That was a sickening thought.

After thinking about some plans for a second, she turned her attention back onto the mission. Apparently they were going to do some rally stupid scheme. While she wanted to object, she realised that trying to do so would be a lost cause. So she decided to go along for now, hoping that no one would pick up on her odd behaviour. After all, she had been oddly quiet, especially in response to Whisperweed. If only they weren't dirt poor, she'd incentivise them from not just giving away dangerous technology. Then again, it's not like they would listen to her.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 20, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Phantom Thief and Breaking Point

Gracefully, and less gracefully, the two of you get into the mysterious basement to find... something that looks like a hospital. Colorless, sterile... but most certainly not empty. Rows upon rows of computers line the walls, tanks full of liquids you're unsure you ever want to touch, etc. It's very rapidly becoming clear that this is some sort of lab.

And it's deserted, with only the silent humming of the lights and the electronics giving you company. There are several seemingly. But, now that you've made your way in here, you realize... something about this feels very, very wrong...

Omega

When you seeded the entire mansion with nanomachines, a good hundred thousand or two landed on the Dormant Ones tech, and had promptly gotten themselves deactivated.

However, that didn't last very long. Now, they suddenly reactivated... but they're not responding to your commands. Before your very eyes, they form a eerie figure.

With a thundering voice, yet impossibly quiet, seemingly far yet close, it addresses you.

"Kylathi Sil-Anurmsa, we, the Dormant Ones, have been ever watchful. Now, we come to you with an offer. We know of your hatred of Dil’tura-ni Wir Rensa. We know of your hatred of humans. And most importantly... We know of your hatred of the Kil'thana federation. As you can see... it explains. "Our goals align."

Stretching out the ever shifting hand of it's form, it reaches out to you.

"Join us, K'lyathi. You will receive great gifts. Join us... and our common archnemesis, Dil’tura-ni Wir Rensa, will fall."

Whisperwind, Ex-Patriot, Anarchy, Neterwrath

Netherwrath, the voice on the other side responds to you after a few seconds.

"You did? We didn't get one. Strange. That small earthquake from earlier must have knocked something out. Could you call the techies for me? We're in the middle of a meeting here." they respond, before going back to their business.

It seems the cops did not notice Breaking Point's little dynamic entry yet. A seemingly normal, armored car pops up, and from your hiding spots, you notice them unload a seemingly normal square metal box, except for what looks like inactive Tron lines all over it.

"Yo! We delivery is here. Where should we put this?" asks the one of the five people that left the car that isn't carrying the box. He's looking at you, Netherwrath.

They appear to be seven people in total, two still in the car and five here. They haven't noticed you yet, apart from Netherwrath, obviously.

Everyone: What do you do?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 15, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 4/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Arrogant | Location: Garage of DOOM

"Haha."

"Hey Netherwrath. Nice hat. Wouldn't mind one myself."

Whisperwind sauntered over to the police with a lazy gait, and flipped the hat from their lead straight on top of his own hood.

"Hey, Bobbins", Whisperwind hissed in his mocking tone, "Where is your cop hat? Did you leave it at the precinct? You know that is the worst error a cop can commit as per the Cop Code. So why don't you go back with your crew and search for it", Whisperwind snickered "In fact, why don't you lend me that radio and let me mobilize your friends in the area too. It's not like you're needed here. Blue Manchurian is already patrolling the area after all, and I doubt you could do a better job", Now it was true that Blue Manchurian was currently failing horribly, but that did not make him technically wrong, "Now, chop cop. Be quick about it or I'll have to take your gun and badge as per the Cop Code."

His illusionary face forming a smug rictus as the cops left the area, Whisperwind shot a thumbs up towards Expatriot. The sort that was screaming 'look at how great I am' without there being any need for words.

"Hey Expat", said Whisperwind from behind her, suddenly, and with a particularly smarmy tone to boot "Think that the cops being off the area is going to be good for your precious cargo transfer? I think it might."

"Haha."

Of course, there not being any need for words had never been a good excuse for Whisperwind to shut his trap.

quote:

Theantero: Whisperwind Distract cops (extra +1 from Arrogant)
Theantero: !r 2d6+3
Krysmbot: Theantero, 7+3 = 10

I pick these three:
- You redirect their attention to someone else.
- You confuse them for some time.
- You avoid further entanglement.

Also, for feeding the authorities half-true info pertaining to the Caper (Blue Manchurian is already around and it's unlikely the cops could do any better to solve any potential trouble), I get to pay 1 Plan to erase 1 Heat, which I do, leaving us at 1 Plan.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: Paranoid | Doubting Location: Roof Top Overlooking The Front of the Estate

“Mmn.” Expatriot lifted her head away from her gunsight as she heard Whisperwind’s voice hiss in her ear. Low, soft and taunting like silk running over a razor blade, it caused the hairs on the back of her neck to stand up slightly knowing he approached her so closely without her knowledge. Still, she didn’t acknowledge him, adjusting the knob on her scope before dropping her head back into position. Maybe another time she’d have acknowledged his efforts, there were times when he was handy to have around, after all. At the moment, however, she was still pissed about that ‘assembly line’ crack, so he got the cold shoulder.

“No sudden moves, ‘Corporal McMahon.” She spoke lowly into the communicator. Her visor painted the front gate a shade of dark red, the bottom corner of her HUD displaying the words “Smart Targeting” in burning gold. The silhouettes of the guards and police were each outlined in gold, zones segmented off and shaded in to indicate the odds of lethality. “I’m going to need to make some noise to justify summoning up your ‘savior’.”

She tapped a thumb switch on the rifle, sending the telemetry data back to her vehicle to set up an artillery strike. She shifted slightly, moved the crosshairs, and did it again, and again, and again. Six times in all, high arching arrows appeared on her HUD with radial scan-lines predicting the overlapping blast zones. She hated that she was revealing her emergency escape plan just to put some weight behind this hoax, but she had to make this look good. A short countdown appeared in the low center of her vision so she could better coordinate the timing of her assault.

[18:38] <JusticeGrieves> Expat attempts some shock and awe
[18:38] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6+1
[18:38] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 4+1 = 5
[18:38] <JusticeGrieves> This job...

A faint whistling echoed in the night air, and Expatriot pulled the trigger.

“…Mn?”

And Expatriot pulled the trigger.

And Expatriot pulled the trigger.

“What the drat hell…” she moved in her perch along the eve of the roof, checking the side of the rifle. Disconnecting the battery, she clucked her tongue in frustration,

“Of course.” Whatever solvent Breaking Point was carrying had apparently eaten away parts of the gun’s casing, causing corrosion in the power cell leads. Sinclaire Industrial didn’t do things in half measures, it seemed. Tossing the gun aside with a disgusted growl, she felt more than watched a series of explosions hammer into the street, an irregular scattering of towering infernos marking where the ordinance had fallen. There must have been some corruption in the data, because instead of a crescent cutting off escape from the estate it looked like an unplanned bombardment. More aggravatingly, the fire lit up the front of the house impressively, removing the cover of darkness she’d been exploiting for her ambush.

Lovely.

Marking Curses! Maybe crying a little.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 27, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 4/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Arrogant | Location: Grounds of Mansion DOOM

"Haha."

"Wow."

"Seems like your calibration could still use some work, vat baby."

"Don't worry though, Whisperwind is here to help."

Whisperwind slipped a screwdriver (where did he get that?) into Expat's pocket with a thumbs up.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 27, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Curses!: 0/5 | Infamy: 1| Conditions: None! | Location: Super Combining Justice Robot, Protectron-5

When Ex-P leaves, Anarchy wastes no time re-configuring the cars. With the help of whoever sticks around to pilot it, she brings the cars together and manually transforms them into combining robot mode. It would have been nice to automatically transform them (just like on tv!), but with the mechanical issues in the lead car it's necessary to work around it in a totally less cool way.

And then when the robot is complete and assembled, Anarchy and her pet robot dog take their place in the robot's center and wait. A series of very loud explosions a while later gives them their cue.

"EMOJI!" Anarchy screeches through the robot's communicator. "Do you hear THAT?! Sounds like it's time for US to SAVE THE DAY!"

"Arf!" Emoji barks and wiggles its ears excitedly. And then, as it connects a cord from its tail to the cockpit's dashboard, its voice suddenly changes to something much more robotic. "Activating  Robot  Justice."

---

Outside, the ground shakes and a loud rumble is heard when SUDDENLY a GIANT METAL FIST punches through the roof of the mansion's garage! And all of a sudden, every single speaker and audio-capable electronic device starts playing a very retro sounding cartoon theme song... Wait, you know what this is! It's-!

A set of hitherto unknown spotlights shines the Protectron-5 logo onto the side of nearby buildings, and into the black night sky. And then as if summoned, the robot itself climbs out of its hiding place and steps out onto the mansion lawn. As it moves, it does considerable damage to the building around it, but that doesn't matter -- Protectron-5 is here!

"Fear NOT, brave citizens!" Anarchy shouts over the loudspeaker. "PROTECTRON-FIVE IS HERE! To save you idiots! And your dumb city!"

Wait, hold on. Is that... how heroes talk? It's not, right? Like, they don't just call everyone too dumb to protect themselves. (Like they should.) But... how are they supposed to talk? Quick, Anarchy! Think on your feet!

"We're going to PWN the HECK out of EVIL! WE'RE GOING TO CRUSH IT INTO DUST!"

Protectron-5 points dramatically, at nothing in particular. After that "speech", though, it doesn't look that impressive. In fact, it looks pretty odd and suspicious. Which is really bad for something so obvious, valuable and in plain sight!

<Takanago> Anarchy.exe SNATCHES VICTORY
<Takanago> .roll 2d6
<Platonibot> Takanago: 6 (2d6=4, 2)
Oh no! Looks like Anarchy's in a tough spot! If only somebody could help her out by spending a Plan...

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Creepy Secret Lab

The comm chatter indicated that Anarchy had begun her ludicrous idea of hiding in plain sight -- in a giant robot. Naomi sighed. The diminutive hacker was a bit of an oddball, but she couldn't very well leave a friend -- such as she was -- without the proper support for her plan. She'd need to focus on events above for a moment. Surely Phantom Thief would have the first opportunity to scout out the secrets within this hidden sub-level, but she was not terribly concerned at the prospect. She was having something of a bad feeling about the whole thing and if he tripped a few traps along the way? All the better for her.

Patching in to the Striker Pack v2, which was orbiting the mansion at a safe altitude, she established a basic combat algorithm for it to follow while Anarchy maneuvered the robot to safety. Naomi triggered her comms, "Anarchy. I'm sending in my Striker Pack to help establish credibility. Please don't break it. It's very, very expensive. Oh, and there may be some explosions. Don't pay them too much mind." Naomi hoped that the hacker would listen. She hadn't even had the chance to dock with it yet and unleash the myriad weapon systems. The thought of it being destroyed before that could happen... she shuddered in simulated horror. She also activated all of the explosives, perhaps as nothing more than an afterthought.

~~~

Earlier, when Breaking Point was flying to the mansion...

It was a good thing that the communicator was still completing the final set of diagnostics and inoperable, because Breaking Point was livid. Easy prey for any manipulations that the loathsome Whisperwind might send her way. What sort of self-respecting engineer would try and arm a communications relay with anti-personnel electric countermeasures? The sheer gall of thinking that would hold a determined human back, let alone a state-of-the-art combat chassis, had her already plotting to destroy the manufacturer. Key communications hubs needed fool-proof defenses. Annihilation matrices. Quantum-uncertainty shrapnel launchers. Even a god-drat disintegration cannon.

In her anger, and perhaps a spot of spite, she began launching remote mines at key points along the street and at the telephone poles. This neighborhood needed to vet their residents better. No self-respecting home-owner's association should have allowed such substandard security equipment. By the time she was done, a blinking red trail of explosives dotted the streets between the pylon and the mansion proper.

~~~

Outside the mansion...

Explosions tear through the streets, power lines falling and water mains rupturing. It's all quite apocalyptic. The effect is completed as the Striker Pack descends from the heavens, targeting the mansion's anti-air defenses with precision strikes from a dizzying array of heavy-duty ordinance. A follow-up salvo sends missiles careening down around the robot, just outside the range at which the paint would be damaged.

The poor relay stands alone throughout all of this, lonely and forgotten, though there is a suspicious package resting up against the base. It is none other than the device that Breaking Point struggled to attach earlier. It begins to blink an angry red, then erupts in a particularly massive explosion.

Spending a team to boost Anarchy's roll to a 7.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Curses! 0/5 | Conditions:

Netherwrath shrugged and took the box. Was this what doing a planned heist was like, people just give you stuff? She might have to try it again - she tossed the box into the back of her armoured van as Whisperwind scattered the cops. Handy trick, that. Then, as she paused to consider what Corporal McMahon would do next, the whole world started loving exploding! She caught some of the shrapnel from the front end explosion - nothing that wouldn't bounce off, but now her uniform was definitely ruined. She spat a couple of expletives into the comms before returning to the Manchurian van where hopefully the radio was still working.

Netherwrath grabbed the mike and started shouting meaningless law-enforcement-sounding catchphrases into it, hoping to confuse the no doubt imminent response. "This is unit 10, we've got a 36-50 at the AVS, requesting CQC at the tactical point! All units, advice class 10 loadout, code Bermuda!"

[19:25] Green_Bean Distraction time for Netherwrath
[19:25] Green_Bean !r 2d6+1
[19:25] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 4+1 = 5

Marking Curses! and taking an advance tbd.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 4/5 | Conditions: None | Location: garage -> basement | Infamy: 1

Phantom Thief wondered aloud about the meaning of this underground hospital, and why it'd be so secret. "I can but muse on the ramifications of our discovery, Bee-Pee. It seems we have intruded upon a testing laboratory of sorts, outfitted like a hospital would be."

He briskly walked towards some vats and machines, trying to understand what nefarious schemes could be cooked up with such equipment. To his disappointment, stealing the lot of it would be too much of a hassle. So, he tried to pinpoint the most important or valuable object in the room to whomever was exploiting this facility.

quote:

23:06 Deltasquid Phantom Thief gonna assess the situation here
23:06 Deltasquid !r 2d6+1
23:06 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 7+1 = 8
23:06 Deltasquid nice

Asking the question: What here can I use to fulfill my greatest desire: Steal from someone you know you shouldn’t?

More specifically, which thing in this room could PT steal to really, really throw a spanner in the works? He was in a particularly capricious mood today. He had a haul of goodies and the ease of the caper so far was stoking his hubris. It was time for the coup de grace, a theft so egregious he would draw the ire of a very dangerous person, judging by the many secrets in this home. And, he thought with delight, licking his lips at the idea, he would stay just out of reach and prove who was the greater villain here.

He was getting giddy.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Naomi, having fulfilled her duties as Anarchy's greatest friend and the most competent member of their band of lunatics, felt a strange sense of satisfaction welling up within her. Explosions truly could solve any problem. She turned her attention back towards the sub-level and Phantom Thief as he spoke up. Her face shifted, looking thoughtful, as she replied, "It would certainly seem that's the case. Some sort of strange research is going on here. I'll interface with their systems and see what I can pull out. My mapping software should be able to identify points of interest within this installation now that I've pierced through the shielding in the walls. Take a look around. I'll let you know if I find anything in their records."

Naomi glided over to the nearest bank of computers. One of her massive fingers flipped up and shot a variety of connectors and manipulators out. They quickly nestled into the computer towers and began to transmit the information contained within to a securely partitioned sector of her memory banks. There was certainly no reason to slack on data security, not with how strange this situation was. A small bar on her HUD began to fill as she liberated the lab's data. She scanned the stream of files as they came in, focusing on anything that might lead to identifying what she might want to remove from the lab.

quote:

[13:18:41] <Tricky> BP extends her senses to discover some juicy intel
[13:18:43] <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
[13:18:46] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 7+3 =

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 4/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Arrogant | Location: Grounds of Mansion DOOM

"Haha."

"Nice work honey. Try not to dent my new ride though."

"But anyways you do your thing, I'll go check on the two stragglers."

And with that, Whisperwind was gone.

"Haha."

A familiar, quiet voice reached Breaking Point and Phantom Thief from the entrance of the tunnel the former had excavated.

"That's pretty neat", Whisperwind remarked as he sauntered into the room, hands in the pockets of his hoodie, "Was hoping for something a bit more arcane but I suppose you can't get everything."

Whisperwind booped some button at random, then shrugged.

"Congrats on finding it though. Wouldn't expect any less from the team's best thief after all." Whisperwind's illusionary face wiggled an illusionary eyebrow as he shot a finger gun towards his friend.

"Might not even have realized you were here if not for little miss hammerhands here, punching through the building like that. It's amazing what technology can do, isn't it?" Whisperwind continued, now too quiet for Phantom Thief to pick up, "Too bad that guarding a frail ego with steel plate is still impossible."

"Haha."

"It's okay you know", Whisperwind gave Breaking Point's metallic shoulder an excessively patronizing little pat. "I get that trying so hard to act like a responsible adult can be taxing, especially when you're so goddamn bad at it."

"But still. The next time you need my help, you can just ask me. No need to use a proxy like some scared child."

A silence hangs in the air for a moment, as the expression of mock concern on Whisperwind's face that he had kept on during his exchange with BP gradually shifted back to his usual grin, accompanied by a slowly picking up laugh. Not his normal laugh, but more of a long, hacking cackle. The sort of laugh that someone who knew they knew something that you really didn't want them to know might laugh.

quote:

Theantero: Hey BP, watch as WW Pierces your mask!
Theantero: !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot: Theantero, 8+2 = 10

Homing in on what he hopes is a nerve, WW tries to get a read on BP's character by instigating a reaction.

I ask the following:
-How could I gain Influence over you?
-What weakness are you hiding?
-How could I get your character to stop trying to destabilize my relationship with my GF? :argh:

Theantero fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 5, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Breaking Point did her best to ignore the pest's provocations, but he was persistent if nothing else. He clearly wasn't going to go away before she acknowledged his presence. She sighed dramatically, then said, "If you don't mind, I'm trying to simultaneously crack an incredibly complex encryption algorithm and counter the attempts their security programs are making to compromise my data banks. I don't have time to trade barbed words with you. Why don't you go do something useful and help Anarchy secure the robot?" The bar continued to fill.

Mask Piercing posted:

How could I gain Influence over you? Start acting like a member of the team and contribute in material ways or apologize and convince Naomi that you aren't the same person who used her.
What weakness are you hiding? Naomi genuinely enjoys the company of Expatriot and Anarchy and would certainly compromise her own efforts or the mission for their sake.
How could I get your character to stop trying to destabilize my relationship with my GF? Regaining influence in a positive fashion would help, as would demonstrating that your relationship is a genuine positive for Anarchy. Or you could just get her to ask.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 4/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Arrogant | Location: Secret lab of DOOM

"Haha."

"This again?"

Whisperwind leaned against the wall, hands in pockets.

"Gimme a break would you. I already got the cops out of the way for her. And dealt with the security that you helped trigger, lest you forget. Really, when you take into account that I'm consistently one of the more helpful members of this team, your whine loses a lot of its edge."

The features on Whisperwind's face took an uncharacteristic, pointed shape as he spoke.

"I mean, would you look at yourself? You hammer through the mansion, compromise our secrecy, fail to inform the rest of the team why the hell you did that, and then act surprised when one of them comes to check up on you? Hell, when I moved about in a train I got death threats for it with you as the enforcer, which I would argue is way less of an issue than what you're doing here. So don't preach to me about teamwork, when all I've ever actually done is make fun of you people, while it's mostly the rest of you who cause the actual trouble."

"Haha."

"And really. At least when I talk poo poo about you, I do it to your face. You're not that hard to read Naomi. I know you think yourself some sort of victim of terrible abuse, even though in actuality you're no better than me. The fact that you go behind my back to talk poo poo about me to my girlfriend and then have the gall to claim 'you're too busy to talk smack' attests to that. Next time you have beef with me, come to me instead of playing your proxy games."

"So yeah, check yourself before you wreck yourself, manhands. You have no real ground to stand on here."

Whisperwind's face mellowed back to its usual grin, and he performed a little, lazy salute to the two others present in the room.

"But welp. You two have fun now with your techie treasure. I got what I wanted to from this little jaunt anyways."

And with that, Whisperwind was gone.

"Hi again honey. Didn't take long did it?"

Whisperwind appeared behind her girlfriend. "Did you know that there's some totally sweet hidden techie treasure in the mansion basement that Phantom found? I thought you'd like to know. Actually should probably inform the team at large", well, at least a report would give some legitimacy for his little check-up.

The comms crackled with Whisperwind's quiet voice, almost overpowered by the slight static.

"Checked up on Pee-Tee and Bee-Pee. Apparently there's some super secret tech treasure in the basement that they're struggling to crack, in case the rest of you wanted to know what they're up to in that weird hole."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Going to put K'lyathi into limbo until Jimmydalad comes back.

Victory snatched! Action scene will follow shortly, I'll let the basement fellows resolve their scene first.

Heat rises by 1! Due to Whisperwind's meddling, it's still the same as before, however.

Basement team

Whisperwind disappears before he can see the result of his button press. A noise behind you alerts you to whats happening - the cover goes off the tube to reveal... a human inside it. Similar tubes open up across the lab, revealing two more humans inside the tubes - you don't recognize the first two, but...

Breaking Point, there's no doubt.

This is Prisma. What the gently caress? She's stuck full of tiny tubes, and she doesn't look healthy at all. As you hover closer, she wakes up and weakly bangs against the glass to no avail. She looks pretty desperate.

All the while this scene is unfolding, you are downloading data at the speed super computers would be envious off. And it's a lot of data. While your mapping tool bounced off some OTHER shielding (it seems like this is lab is sectioned in some way) A preeliminary subroutine picked out 3 files that might interest you:

- A file named only after a date, it seems like it's some sort of security camera footage going by the format

- a file with a nonsensical name, appears to be a communications log

- a LARGE file named "Project Apotheosis"

Which one are you going to investigate first? And what are you going to do with these heroes? They look like they very much might die if you leave them in there...

Phantom Thief, well to be fair, considering these people apparently are heroes somebody is holding captive here, just taking them away is bound to piss off whoever built this lab, all these tubes have pipes bound to lead to something. Following them, you find a curiously small vial at what looks like a nexus of pipes, seemingly secured in a small stasis field. This HAS to be the end result of whatever they were doing here...

Topside team

Whisperwind

"Jesus christ man, did you wake up to your wife banging the mailman next to you or something? Alright, alright, fine. Here, take this drat thing, it's creepy as hell anyway..." he says, glaring daggers at Whisperwind

He doesn't even get to turn around before all hell breaks loose. Explosions, railgun fire, and a giant robot showing up lead to enough chaos that anarchy's somewhat subpar performance goes unnoticed. The cops are bailing, and within 20 seconds, they're just gone.

Anyway, the last encounter with Breaking Point lingers in the back of your mind. Is it just you... or are people ignoring you again? Even though they CLEARLY can keep track of you...

Turn Arrogant back to Insecure.

Netherwrath

Uh oh...

The box, after you picked up, started humming in a electronic noise, and it's glowing blood red. After it landed in the armored car, it starts to reset again, but it seems like it REALLY doesn't like superpowered activity near it...

Just what the hell is this thing? And why does the thought of it activating freak out so much? Mark Paranoid.

Anyway, the cop replies is blunt. "Are you drunk? Jesus. None of that made any sense. Fine, we'll send backup but this better NOT be a dud."

Well, that worked... uh, maybe? Hard to tell.

Anarchy.Exe

Hah! Clearly there IS refuge to be found in audacity. It worked! The cops are running for it, you got the robot, and from the looks of it, quite a lot extra! Hell, there aren't even any goddamn capes here... yet.

You only gotta collect the team and get out of dodge and you got this in the bag!

... Speaking of bags, one of your scanner happens to pick up the box Netherwrath picked up. From the looks of it... it's kinda heated up as she threw it, and then cooled down again. Wut?

Ex-Patriot

It's just a bad day, Ex-P. Just a bad day. Messing up just about everything this caper isn't your fault. Totally not. There's gotta be some jackass messing with your luck, or some god who hates you, or SOMETHING. Surely.

Mark Angry.

Anyone who feels like doing so can rebuke Ex-Patriot without taking up your action this prompt! I mean, come on, Ex-P, stop being such a failathon.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 13, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry | Location: 100% Anime

Breaking Point simmered with quiet rage as the infuriating man vanished into the aether. His insults were of no matter, of course, but pushing strange buttons in a sinister lab? Was his brain as empty as his words? Simply thoughtless. The whir of opening shutters caught her optics and she froze. Prisma? What was that do-gooder pest doing here? And why was she so sickly looking? Breaking Point noted the flagged files. The answer might have something to do with this so-called 'Project Apotheosis.' Programs and subroutines activated and the large file began to decrypt.

She slowly turned away from the tube, then sighed. It would be so easy to just leave them to die. It was the smart thing to do. It wouldn't do her any good to rescue them, but... Wasn't it all the same? Wouldn't she do that for Anarchy or Expatriot? Naomi glided over to Prisma's tube, wires stretching out behind her, and brought her free hand up and around the tube. Prisma's eyes grew wide as Naomi began to squeeze the tube, perhaps thinking that her death was coming sooner than not. A fair misunderstanding. The tube began to crack and deform under the pressure of her giant robot hand and then finally shattered into a glittering rain of shards. The hand gently grabbed onto Prisma and deposited her over Naomi's shoulder. A small fastener emerged from a hidden compartment and secured the hero in place.

Naomi looked over at Prisma, her face clearly not sure how to properly convey the emotions she was feeling, then said, "Rough day, Prisma? Good thing for you we're robbing the joint." Her free hand rocketed across the room, repeating the process with the other two humans and their tubes. A young man was quickly draped and secured on her other shoulder while a girl was gently cradled in her right hand. Her face settled on looking slightly embarrassed, "Don't get me wrong, I just don't want some weirdo with a secret lab to cut our rivalry short. Got it? It's not like we're friends or anything."

Breaking Point gives Prisma influence thanks to being a big softie and holds 1.

The bar on her HUD filled, flashed, and played a chipper tune. Decryption complete. Now, if she could figure out what this Apotheosis thing was all about, she might have a better idea about what to do with the lab. What equipment might be worth salvaging. Whether it should all get blown up. If there were any other innocents being processed.

Naomi patched into the video feed from the Striker Pack, noting the odd readings from some sort of box-like object. What were those fools doing? Expat had good ideas. She would know what to do with it. It was about time she stopped playing with foam and got her head in the game. She opened a private channel, "Expat. What's wrong? You're looking sluggish out there. If you're our leader, you need to lead." She sighed, then added, "Keep your head in the game, okay? Phantom and I should be inbound shortly."

Freebie Move posted:

[13:11:05] <Tricky> BP cows and/or rebukes Expatriot
[13:11:07] <Tricky> !r 2d6+1
[13:11:09] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8+1 = 9

Curses, condition, or label shift if you respond.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 13, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 5/5! | Conditions: None | Location: basement | Infamy: 1

Phantom Thief felt his stomach slightly turn when the tubes with human prisoners were revealed. Standing next to BP as she liberated Prisma, he couldn't help but feel sorry for the superheroine. As they gently lifted her out of her tube together, he let his hand slowly caress her cheek, and whispered:

"To capture and hurt such a wonderful and radiant woman... It truly sickens the heart! We may ostensibly be opponents, but I cannot condone the killing of such beauty. Trust me, we are getting you out of here."

And he kissed her forehead.

quote:

10:40 Deltasquid Phantom Thief tries to steal Prisma's heart
10:40 Deltasquid !r 2d6+3
10:40 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 12+3 = 15
10:40 Deltasquid holy cow!

As per A Dame to Kill For, PT gains influence on Prisma.

He then let BP release the other prisoners as he tracked the target of the tubes. They seemed to collect inside a vial at the far end of a machine in the room. "Huh," he thought, and he reached inside to carefully decouple the vial from the machine.

"I don't know what this is, but the owner probably really wants it."

When he had safely secured it, he placed a rose where the vial had been before, with a small note: "Beauty may never be tarnished by an ugly heart." He then turned the vial into a small ball and pocketed it. His team wouldn't have to know about this trophy.

He returned to BP and joined her on the comms.

quote:

10:40 Deltasquid and then he will also rebuke Expat
10:41 Deltasquid !r 2d6+1
10:41 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 6+1 = 7

On a hit, they hear you: They mark Curses!, clear a condition, or shift labels if they respond.

"Hey boss, I presume it's one of 'those' days? Keep focused. BP and I are finished in the basement and awaiting further instructions. We will join you shortly."

PT has fulfilled his Want to □ Steal from someone you know you shouldn’t. Marking 1 Curses! and advancing. The 4 new wants are bolded:

quote:

□ Mastermind your own caper
□ Get a new costume
□ Kiss a superhero
□ Get a new villain name
□ Steal from someone you know you shouldn’t
□ Earn the respect of a villain you admire
□ Betray a peer when they most need you
□ Make out with a peer
□ Take down a hero all on your own
□ Knock out a peer
□ Pull off a ridiculous stunt
□ Steal something impossible
□ Save a peer’s life
□ Start a fight between your peers
□ Show up an adult villain
□ Vacation in an incredible place (or time)
□ Get drunk or high with a peer
□ Try out being a superhero
□ Hijack a fantastical vehicle
□ Reject someone who underestimates you

Phantom Thief figured the time was now right to update his fanbase about the Caper. He took a selfie in the basement and tweeted:

"Striking back at the rich tax evaders. #phantomthief #skeletonsinthecloset #weirdshit "

Within seconds, a follower retweeted it, and the Phantom Thief hashtag was picking up in popularity. He smiled. He knew he could always rely on the masses, the Have-Nots who were more than eager to take the Haves down a peg.

Level up! Taking the following move from The Radical:

quote:

□ The Following
You have sympathizers or fans among the public that you can take advantage of. Whenever you want to exploit your followers, roll +Infamy. On a 10, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one.
- They provide you material benefit. Gain a temporary Asset for this caper.
- They sell out one of the heroes that are protecting them, or some juicy intel.
- They provide you moral or restorative support. Clear a condition.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 14, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Breaking Point

The data is corrupted in some places.

Log 673: Project progressing slower than expected. Alteration to to human genome from superpowers make decryption more difficult than expected. Replication attempts unstable. Only 99% or higher DNA matches show acceptable results.

--

Log 732: The superhuman known as Biomancer has proven incredibly useful. By providing some genetic data from Uncle Sam, he has created a genetic template that has proven incredibly useful to the Project. Several copies were acquired.

---

---

Log 839: Protectron 5 has been refitted for use against Kaxbjppfüoj3fdo-- INSOLENT WHELP. YOU KNOW NOT WHAT YOU ARE INTERFERING WITH.

Before you even fully process what you just read, your entire HUD floods with flashing warnigns.

Warning! Unauthorized access detected. Closing connection... failure. Closing connection... failure.
Warning! Unauthorized Download in progress... Download complete.
Warning! Catastrophic damage to hard drive. Shutting down hard drive partion 5. ... success.
Warning! Missile controls offline.
Warning! Remote Control offline.
Warning! Long-range communications offline.

Warning! Hostile movement detected.

Phantom Thief

Prisma's eyes seem to be shocked more awake as she hears your words. She's too weakened to really respond, but the blush on her cheek tells you everything.

Unfortunately, it would have been more romantic if she hadn't coughed up whatever fluid she was stuck in and got it all on your costume... Ah well.

You give your prize a quick glance before turning back to BP, whose robotic frame appears to be... violently spasming? Uh oh...

Both

All hell breaks loose. There's alarm lights (strangely, not accompanied by noise) nearly blinding you, and a giant swarm of nanomachines pours out of nearly every crevice in the wall. They form into an eerily familar form...

A mockery of Breaking point appears

That of Breaking Point's. But where Breaking Point at least has some human features left, this THING does not. It's face is a gray mockery of a human's, with empty blobs where eyes would be. Mere seconds after it's finished 'constructing', it starts aiming its myriads of weapon systems at Breaking Point.

RUN.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 14, 2016

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Freak: +2 | Danger: +1 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +1 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: Paranoid Location: Roof Top Overlooking The Front of the Estate

Whisperwind’s words hit home, Expatriot shifts –Superior/+Freak

drat it.

Expatriot stood on the roof overlooking the carnage around her, grinding her teeth behind her mask. What had been a peaceful night in an affluent neighborhood had, in the course of scant minutes, been transformed into a warzone. Protectron-5 loomed over the low roofs, its iconic crest shining with the reflection of fire, its massive eyes cutting through the darkness with the intensity of search lights, its old promotional theme song echoing with a tinny distant quality through handsets, phones, and car radios all over. Fire and shrapnel dotted her vision at every angle. Expatriot clenched her fists as she surveyed the battlefield.

drat it, this was supposed to have been a subtle little bit of burglary. She couldn’t be further off plan if she’d set the whole thing on fire…which was very near what had happened.

Her visor suddenly lit up with warnings, her head snapping up as some kind of laser designator had passed over her. Sure enough, Sinclaire Industries’ Striker Pack was swinging around for another pass … and her HUD was pointing out that the raise in the roof she’d been using for deeper shadows was, in fact, designed to hold an automated turret loaded with air-bursting shells.

“drat IT!” she shouted, venting her frustrations as she jumped clear, the heat of rockets igniting from the Strike Pack telling her all she needed to know about what was about to happen. The audio filters in her mask kicked in around the same time a shockwave threw her jump off course, probably the only reason she could hear at all as Whisperwind’s husky low tones grated in her ears again. She’d have snarked back, but the ground rushed up to meet her a little too quickly, bouncing her off the soft earth and sending her into a roll.

“…Thank you for that pertinent update, Whisperwind.” She groaned, pushing herself up to her knees and clutching her head, the world spinning after the impact. What the hell was wrong with her tonight? It felt like everyone was on point except for her. This was supposed to be her Caper, dammit, but she was struggling with even the simplest tasks. She briefly entertained the notion that she was being somehow sabotaged … Omega’s nanomachines, Whisperwind’s magics, even Netherwrath’s powers had elements of entropy mixed into them. Would one of them really do something like that to undermine her?

She dimly remembered Whisperwind getting her face back when she’d first pitched this job. “You are not in charge.” Yeah … he had the means, and the motive. And, of course, so long as she was the only one who looked bad, he couldn’t even be accused of acting against the interests of the group. She punched a fist into the earth. It was a possibility, and one she shouldn’t discount. Of course there were going to be consequences for threatening to have him shot, maybe she’d undersold him a bit at the outset due to his clownish displays the night before the job.

If nothing else, it was an easier theory to stomach than the alternative. That she really was broken. That she’d been broken from the moment she’d been decanted, incomplete, just an ambulatory parts depot for other, greater creations. She’d failed at being a sidekick, and now, what, she thought she had what it took to lead? These miscreants didn’t even respect her, how the hell was she supposed to lead anything? Still, what was the alternative, run away again? How many times was she going to be able to do that before there was nowhere to run to?

The low rumble of heavy machinery reverberated in her chest, caused the ground to tremble under her fingers. Headlights washed the low orange glow of fire off of her, replacing it with a brilliant white light as she looked up. The slanted armored prow of her armored attack vehicle pushed its way through the flames, its oversized solid-core tires allowing it to roll casually over the craters left by the earlier bombardment. Two headlights near the ram plates illuminated the ground in front of it, while a line of search lamps laid across the top lit up the front of the property as bright as day. Dark navy in color, the machine was all heavy metal and hard angles, squat and heavy in a way that shouted “military”. On the front, however, Expatriot’s broken star logo was emblazoned boldly, with the word “OVERCOMPENSATING” written mirrored across the ram plate. It rolled to a stop in front of her, following the queued “retrieve” command that had followed her bombardment … well, at least that worked, even if it had crushed the front gate and toppled part of the wall making its way to the lawn.

“Oh, now she wants to be lead.” Expatriot said bitterly as her radio crackled back to life. Placing a gloved hand on the vehicle, feeling the heat of the metal through her glove, she forced herself back to her feet. “Couldn’t have come to this conclusion back when everything was going well, no, but now that everything’s on fire…” she breathed out an agitated sigh. She was right about one thing though, self-pity wasn’t going to get them out of here.

Clearing Doubting … which will be the first time in weeks for Expat IC.

Phantom Thief chimed in almost immediately to put his boot in while she was down as well. Why not, they’d chosen to do her caper instead of his, after all. After she’d made him feel all creepy about hitting on what could be considered a kid, no less … he’d sure as hell turned up the charm since then, but the two of them had barely spoken. Since moving out, she’d barely spoken to any of them, really … who knew what they’d gotten up to while she was away.

And clearing Angry, because it’s time to goooooo …

“The order was that we are pulling out, and I issued it five minutes ago. Whatever you found down there must’ve been shiny enough to impact your hearing.” She reported, “Whisperwind was kind enough to clear the road ahead for us, so if you’d get up here, we can pack up and go already!”

If there was any benefit to this group, at least things usually went wrong in a completely predictable fashion. Combining Protectron-5 had never been part of her plan, but the notion that these people would be unable to resist merging it when the capes showed up had definitely been within her allowances. It meant that being caught entirely with her pants down, she at least had an exit strategy for a giant combining super-robot … it just happened to require the thing to still work like it had in the old days. If that was a guaranteed thing, they wouldn’t be in this mess to begin with.

“Anarchy.exe!” she called into her mic, “Call up a diagnostic. That machine is on record as having fought several sea monsters out near Tokyo Bay. If it’s still water tight, we can use the ocean to mysteriously vanish back into legend.” She said, hopping on top of the armored vehicle and prying open a hatch.

(Ha ha, no Action yet, late to work ...)

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry, Paranoid | Location: Doppleganger Deathmatch

As the text of the file played across her HUD, Breaking Point's eyes grew wide. Genetic manipulation? Clones of Uncle Sam? They knew about the presence of Protectotron-5? This situation was well beyond what they had anticipated. There was a secret here and-- Someone was in her system. Intrusion countermeasures sprang into action and were brushed aside like they were nothing. The failure cascade raced throughout Breaking Point's complex web of software and systems until the partition finally contained the attack. The twitching and sparking stopped after what seemed like an eternity. Her HUD died and the chassis crashed to the ground as power to the gravity drive was cut. It sat there for a moment, still, while the nano-machine simulacrum formed. A dark mirror of Sinclair Industries' masterwork.

Naomi drifted in the void. She felt nothing. Heard nothing. The world outside had vanished, leaving only her thoughts. What could have cut through her systems like that? No modern technology could cut through so many firewalls so quickly. Not even Anarchy, a genius hacker, could have done that. Was it the work of an extraterrestrial intelligence? What were they even after?

WARNING, YOU DID NOT SHUT DOWN 「BREAKING POINT OS V5.36」 PROPERLY. BOOTING IN SAFE MODE.

The lights and sounds of her chassis reactivating brought Naomi back to the moment. She dismissed the legion of error messages that flooded her HUD and met the monster's gaze. If she were capable of it, she would have shivered. That functionality was not essential for combat operations. Was that creature the work of Omega? Had she finally turned against them? Naomi looked to the heroes on her chassis, still secured in place, and theatrically sighed, "Normally I wouldn't let an inferior product damage the reputation of Sinclair Industries, but I suppose I can't truly demonstrate my superiority with passengers." Her eyes narrowed as she considered the nanobot-knockoff. She was getting a bad feeling about it despite all her bluster. Regardless, it wouldn't let them escape without some quick thinking.

Ports began to open all over Naomi's chassis, outside of the spots blocked off by her heroic cargo, and a wide variety of guns and missiles began to emerge. Errors once more filled her HUD. Targeting software unavailable. Tactical projections unavailable. Missile launch inadvisable. She dismissed them and authorized full manual control. Finesse was out of the question. There was nothing to do but fire everything and hope for the best. Missiles and projectiles swept across the lab, ripping through delicate machinery with ease and meeting the oncoming fire from the Doppleganger bullet for bullet.

Several explosions from compromised equipment cut across the lab, separating Naomi from the monster. She cranked her speaker output to maximum and shouted, "C'mon, Phantom, let's get out of here!" Without waiting for an answer, she diverted all discretionary power into her gravity drive. It hummed furiously as she shot back up into the parking garage and made for the rest of the team outside. She could hear the swarm still moving below her. If it was half as tough as her, it would be incredibly difficult to bring down.

quote:

[11:23:21] <Tricky> Breaking Point fights SA-X Point
[11:23:24] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[11:23:25] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 5+2 =
[11:23:54] <Yamifenrir> BP-X, gosh

The authentic BP dehumanizes herself and faces to bloodshed (justifiably marking Paranoid) and chooses to resist blows while simultaneously creating an opportunity to escape.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 13, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 0/5 | Conditions: None | Location: basement of DOOM | Infamy: 1

Phantom Thief saw BP-X rise in front of his very eyes, a threatening shadow of his good friend BP, although somehow even colder than she was. BP was mostly robotic, but she clearly had a spark of life inside her. This thing did not. The uncanny valley effect was real, and he shivered.

BP's explosions rocked the basement and created an opening for the two of them, prompting PT to dash for the exit. Before leaving, he grabbed a handful of beads from his pocket, and threw them in BP-X's general direction.

quote:

00:37 Deltasquid PT tries to distract SA-X Point
00:37 Deltasquid !r 2d6+3
00:37 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 9+3 = 12
00:37 Deltasquid aww yee

PT chooses:
- You get an opportunity.
- You confuse them for some time.
- You avoid further entanglement.

The beads poof all at once, some of them spewing smoke and gas in every direction, filling the basement with a veritable screen. Others turned into flares or hologramic emitters mimicking BP, hopefully confusing any infrared sights and giving them both a chance for a clear escape between the decoys. PT then leapt behind Naomi, into the garage, and followed her while throwing an EMP tripmine behind him. He heard the satisfying clicking noise of the device activating, and then sprinted for the inner courtyard. He saw Expat on the roof there, and gave her a sly smile. "Oh, we were exfiltrating already? But it was just getting so very interesting." He shrugged theatrically. "Let us be on our way, then. Before that nanomonster sees through my ruse and intercepts us."

Which reminded him. He opened a private channel with K'Lyathi and asked:

"Bonjour, ma belle. Say, would you happen to know what caused that swarm of nanomachines in the basement to create a doppelganger of BP? You don't happen to... Be picking a fight with her, are you?"

He was slightly hoping this was a catfight gone bad. The alternative was a lot scarier.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 14, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry, Paranoid | Location: Doppleganger Deathmatch

As she fled, her software worked to repair some of the code that the attacker had corrupted. Almost immediately after the pair left the mansion, a message indicated that short-range communication systems were functioning at acceptable levels. The rest of the damage seemed more severe. It would likely require her transfer to the next-generation chassis, since she couldn't risk compromising the workshop's mainframe by interfacing with the chassis itself. Hopefully the techs would be able to integrate the data from the New Flyer in a timely fashion.

Naomi emitted a sharp laugh into the comms, painfully loud given that she hadn't dialed the master volume control back down, before continuing at a more appropriate volume level, "Nanomonster? You're underselling that thing, Phantom. Something in there -- Omega, a different nano-machine alien, whatever -- wants us all dead. Extremely dead. We've stumbled into somebody else's scheme. This isn't a normal mansion, not just the home of some collector. Whoever owns it -- really owns it -- is bad news. And, yeah, Expat, it was worth the detour. You'll want to hear what I found out. I'll fill you in when we're not in mortal danger."

She sent a tight-band transmission to the Striker Pack, issuing a retreat order. She couldn't dock with it while carrying the heroes and she wasn't about to hand them over to someone like Whisperwind. The metal rain slowed and then stopped as the pre-programmed combat routines were cancelled. It reengaged its optical camouflage and soared back into the clouds.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Freak: +2 | Danger: +1 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +1 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: Paranoid Location: Ready to Roll Out

“Nano-what!?” Expatriot tilted her head slightly to the side, watching the wave of explosions that followed her comrades as they dashed out of the garage like the fires of hell itself were on their heels. “Nevermind, details later.” She said, jumping down into the open hatch. The driver’s cab was isolated from the crew compartment, a wall of armored plate behind her as she swung left and into one of the two seats up front. The cab was mostly dark, illuminated in a dull red from a series of monitors and gauges across the dashboard. Her actual field of vision was restricted to a series of narrow slots that had been filled with tinted, armored glass, but the exterior of the vehicle also mounted a number of cameras to give her a more complete view of what was happening around her. She pulled a lever and several sockets disconnected as she switched the machine over to manual control, physically breaking the connections between the comms suite and the vehicle’s controls. It had seemed an important feature to include, considering her team.

The engine revved up as she took the controls, throwing levers as the armored vehicle turned in place, half of its six wheels turning one way as the other three turned the other so she could spin in place. With the rear of vehicle pointed towards her dashing comrades, she pulled a lever set into the overhead panel, the back of the vehicle opening out and crashing to the ground to form a ramp into the crew compartment, vents on either side of the ramp glowing a low blow suggesting some kind of idling ionic propulsion system. The crew compartment was fairly simple, a pair of low padded benches fit over the wheel wells with harness systems, though the seat immediately by the door seemed to have been adjusted with heavier duty restrains set to accommodate Breaking Point’s bulk. Along the back of the compartment was a hatch that could lead into the driver’s cab, but also a series of standing lockers loaded with extra ordinance so that Expatriot didn’t have to haul her whole armory around at all times. Hanging from a shoulder strap on a hook was the gauss rifle she’d swiped from Phantom Thief earlier, though it looked like she’d taken some time to modify it slightly.

Maybe an armored breaching vehicle would seem like an odd choice for a team that included an energy being that could race through energy conduits, a teleporting mage, and a two members who were practically impervious to harm. Still, Expatriot had wanted it ready for when they had a job where the best option was to just smash through the front door … and now the extra space gave Breaking Point a place to drop off the strays she’d managed to pick up.

“Get in!” she shouted. She didn’t really think that this was K’lyathi’s doing…frankly, Omega didn’t seem the kind for subtlety. If she’d decided to attack the group, she’d be on the comms right now, laughing and insulting them whole way.

“Well, if we’re going to pick a fight with someone, there’s no reason to half-rear end it.” She muttered, “Netherwrath, what’s the word on the light-cube-thing?”

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Everyone

You get a transmission from Ky'lathi. While she is saying something, you can barely make out anything at all due to a ear-grinding noise that sounds like a mix of a swarm of hornets and metal grinding against metal in the background.

Nonetheless, the lack of laughter or angry yelling tells you that she might just NOT be the source of that thing...

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 14, 2016

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Curses! 0/5 | Conditions: Paranoid

Netherwrath threw away her security radio in a mixture of disgust and frustration before heading back to the van. She commed Ex-Patriot back. "I don't know, but whatever it is does not like superpowers. I'm keeping it in the van with the drivers where it probably won't explode. You guys want backup?" Netherwrath had never punched a nanomonster before. It sounded challenging, but fulfilling.

Leveled up, so I'm taking the Bully move I’m the Juggernaut as an advance.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 4/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Driving through the streets of DOOM very UNSAFELY

The illusionary facade that Whisperwind wore was as unflappable as always, the mocking rictus failing to take note of the variety of explosions that now rocked the mansion as it stared at the strange luxury car transformer that Anarchy had created. Indeed, there was very little indication that Whisperwind was in any way in a different state of mind than usual. Yet still, the boy underneath the hood failed to mimic the expressions of his outward projection.

Something was different. He couldn't really put a finger on it, but his usual claptrap didn't quite bring the cheap chuckles like it used to. He had to bring heavier and heavier ammunition to the field constantly, get more and more personal, just to get the hilarious reactions that had been so easy to come by mere weeks earlier. Now he seemed to reap mostly eye-rolls and actual resentment. The verbal needling he spat out without a care had started to garner an unpleasant aftertaste. He doubted he could keep this up for long.

Whisperwind frowned. He'd have to think about this. He had acted like this his entire villainous career. Why was it only starting to get to him now?

The illusion, however, still would not budge.

"Haha."

"Love the giant robot, honey, really good work. Put some makeup on and it would be almost as pretty as you", his girlfriend would still appreciate his peculiar brand of humor, Whisperwind knew. Why she but nobody else?

"But as much as I appreciate a good mecha, I actually kind of need a car for all this loot I have. So you guys just hold on while I look for one. Shouldn't take long."

"I'll even take you for a ride later."

Whisperwind promptly teleported back into the garage.

Then the earth rumbled. There was an ear screeching noise. On the other end of the giant garage there was a thing, and a cloud, and a familiar looking shape in the midst of it all. Whisperwind didn't like the looks of it at all.

"Uhh. Snakeface? You okay in there?"

"Haha?"

"Well whatever. You take care of yours. Cya."

Whisperwind looked the multitude of ridiculous cars over. A pink sports car of some sort (Whisperwind was not very good with cars), that would be just hilariously perfect with the correct paint job. Perhaps neon green flames on top? Well, more than enough time to deal with that later. Whisperwind threw his sweet bag of loot onto the backseat, started the car, and swiftly noped the hell out of the creepy garage and the monsters within, speeding away from the mansion grounds.

quote:

Theantero: WW is Absconding the gently caress out of the Mansion and from anywhere near NegaK'lyathi (+1 from Agenda)
Theantero: !r 2d6+3
Krysmbot: Theantero, 7+3 = 10
Yamifenrir: negaBP you mean
Yamifenrir: also the proper term is BP-X
Yamifenrir: goddamnit
Yamifenrir: I've said it like 3 times already
Yamifenrir: lmao

I reveal something I absconded with, in this case a sweet, expensive and really garish car to carry all my loot with.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 14, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry, Paranoid | Location: The Killdozer

Bowing to the pressures of the moment, Naomi mutely entered the rear of the Overcompensator without engaging in her usual contempt of lesser weapons technologies. She quickly deposited Prisma and the other two humans into seats before stopping and staring blankly. The strap mechanisms weren't designed for manipulation by such powerful hands. She scanned through her list of functional supplemental equipment and emitted a sigh. Remote manipulators disabled. Fine gravity control impossible. It seemed that she would have to admit defeat and ask someone to secure the straps for her rescuees.

At that moment, her equipment list highlighted the universal adhesive emitters. That was basically the same as strapping them in, right? With little hesitation, Naomi blasted the trio with pellets of foaming adhesive and secured them to the seats. She grinned, "Safety first, right? Trust me. You don't want to get a rough ride from Expat." She strapped herself in to the reinforced restraints by the door, which were conveniently adapted for her use. Expat was pretty thoughtful from time to time.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Curses!: 0/5 | Infamy: 1| Conditions: None! | Location: Protectron-5 Cockpit

"Muah ha ha HA HA!"

Anarchy laughs maniacally, and gives one of her trademark grins. "What are you so AFRAID of, guys?! We've got PROTECTRON-FIVE on our side!" Then she pulls a couple of levers in the cockpit, and maneuvers the giant robot into a cool pose.

"Just you WAIT! I'll kick that nano-monster's BUTT!" Anarchy laughs again, then looks at Emoji. "Isn't that right, boy?"

"Arf!"

The hacker-turned-robot-pilot taps at a few buttons in the cockpit, which brings up a map of the nearby area on one of its CRT monitors. It shows a whole bunch of blips and dots, on an interface that must have been pretty cutting-edge when this thing was new.

"Alright! You guys go on ahead! I'll play HERO and cover your butts! And then I'll chase after you like we originally planned! Okay?!"

And then as she flicks her hand, a data cable flies out from the inside of Anarchy's sleeve and slides into an open port on a control panel. One of the monitors flicks off, and then when it turns back on there's a blocky, monochrome pixel-art Anarchy.exe on the screen.

'ANALYZING..'
the display reads. The cockpit starts to get drowned out in the noise of full-power computer fans as the machine starts to run at full processing power. '0%.....25%.....50%......75%......100%'

'TACTICAL ANALYSIS COMPLETE'

<Takanago> Anarchy assesses the situation
<Takanago> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 9+2 = 11

Asking:
What here is in the greatest danger?
How could we best end this quickly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Action scene is go! Time to book it!

BP-X

Special: Killer Machine
BP-X does not care about what you say or think. It cannot be affected by Influence or Social actions unless they have a fitting non-mundane component.

Special: IFF?
BP-X cannot attack or counterattack Protectron-5.

-----

Breaking Point

Prisma's eyes get shook wide awake as you aim your pellets at the heroes. She briefly jerks and then closes her eyes as the adhesive hits her and her colleagues - and that small movement of hers caused a small blob to hit her mouth, gluing it shut.

As she opens her eyes she looks at the glue and her teammates, then just gives you a disbelieving glare and an ineffectual "mmph!"

... You know, you could probably get used to this. Prisma is so much nicer to be around without her horrible one-liners...

Phantom Thief

As you get in, Prisma gives you somewhat of a sad puppy stare. It seems she's a bit unhappy about her current situation.

Before you can do anything, however, a loud noise heralds something you didn't want to hear! A small part of the mansion's rooms comes flying off, and bursting out comes BP-X. It seems like it didn't even bother using the hole the Protectron-5 made, instead it just went straight up as it noticed you weren't in the basement anymore...

Then, it flies up a good twenty meters before it's eyes start glowing green, as if scanning for something...

Back inside the vehicle, Prisma is trashing as hard as she can, trying to escape the glue, but it's already dried, solidly fixing her in place. After a few seconds, she gives up, her eyes still affixed at BP-X in abject terror.

Ex-Patriot

You get a short message from K'Lyathi. "I'll find my own way out." Following that, a voice message, this time from Zeremiah.

"WHAT THE gently caress DID YOU GUYS DO?" he yells.

A moment later, he explains himself. "The Freedom Force is mobilizing, and they're headed YOUR way. Get the gently caress out of dodge, NOW."

Yeah, he doesn't have to tell you twice, does he?. As you take off, you catch a glimpse of what burst out of the mansion... and it's... BP? What the gently caress? BP is in the back! You saw her get in!

Whisperwind

You leave the garage, getting some serious airtime thanks to the ramp that lead down into the garage, and catch up with the others. You catch a glimpse of BP and PT in the truck. Anarchy's in the robot, Ex-P's driving, BP's up in the air above the mansion and nobody cares about K'Lyathi...

Hey, hold on a minute! There's two BP's, what the gently caress?

As you take a closer look at the BP in the air, you realize that BP is aiming rockets at Ex-P's truck!

Netherwrath

So that's what PT and BP were so scared about. It's... another BP. Uh, what the gently caress?

Anyway, the fake BP aims at Ex-P's truck, just before Whisperwind and his horrible choice of ride leave the mansion. Upon doing so, the fake gets distracted and looks at Whisperwind for a second.

And then it's eyes just go RED. The same red the real one's did when she almost punched Whisperwind into fine paste back before the previous Caper. Good times!

But, uhm, instead of of just a few rockets, the fake BP opens up its ENTIRE ARSENAL and takes aim at Whisperwind. Jesus christ, does the real BP hate Whisperwind this much too?

Anarchy.Exe

So, that just happened. There's like, a loving BP-X clone of BP, right there! And it seems... just a teensy little bit angry at Whisperwind. 'Unload your entire arsenal at this technically still human strength person' mad. You get the slight feeling that maybe you should have a word with BP after this.

Regardless, as the program is going through the analysis, something you never wanted to see again rears it's ugly head again.

OH GOD NO.

>Yes.

A few seconds later, this wall of text appears.

From your position, you can see there's a strange shimmer next to a few of the explosives BP-X is aiming at your boyfriend...

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 17, 2016

• Locked thread