Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
And the winner is:
This poll is closed.
Magnus +2 or More 11 32.35%
Magnus +1 8 23.53%
Magnus in Tie-breaks 4 11.76%
Karjakin in Tie-breaks 0 0%
Karjakin +1 1 2.94%
Nuclear War 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

notaspy posted:

Was moving the bishop to attack the rook a blunder? I would have thought moving the king to f7 was the better move.
Very much so, reduced his computer position dramatically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
These positions are hard to win.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Well, that was scrappy

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Well played by the Russian

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

And that is why you try to win with queens on.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

only 13 more draws to go :pwn:

12 to go...

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

SK seems to specialize in barely surviving when he should by all accounts be dead. Is this a common thing for him?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Teddybear posted:

SK seems to specialize in barely surviving when he should by all accounts be dead. Is this a common thing for him?

He is noted for his defence, but that was as much a miss by white as a hold by black.

Princess
Oct 11, 2009

That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over!

Teddybear posted:

One of the reporters at an earlier press conference said "VladImir Putin has just appointed Sergey Karjakin as Minister of Defense."

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Rc6 was the only drawing move and he found it with 4 seconds on the clock.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Wandered into this thread by accident and I gotta say that the chess24 commentary paired with Final Fantasy XV is an surprisingly enjoyable way to pass the time recovering from dental surgery.

Would the earlier games from this championship have any sort of "analytical summary" videos? Something where a few minutes are spent looking at high-leverage moments and explaining what the options were and the pros/cons/consequences of the actual decision taken.

Beyond watching the white bar fluctuate up and down I'm a tad baffled as to how to determine the effectiveness of a particular move. Consensus seems to be that Carlsen bungled the endgame of this most recent tiebreak, but is there a novice-level explanation as to what went wrong?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

kalensc posted:

Wandered into this thread by accident and I gotta say that the chess24 commentary paired with Final Fantasy XV is an surprisingly enjoyable way to pass the time recovering from dental surgery.

Would the earlier games from this championship have any sort of "analytical summary" videos? Something where a few minutes are spent looking at high-leverage moments and explaining what the options were and the pros/cons/consequences of the actual decision taken.

Beyond watching the white bar fluctuate up and down I'm a tad baffled as to how to determine the effectiveness of a particular move. Consensus seems to be that Carlsen bungled the endgame of this most recent tiebreak, but is there a novice-level explanation as to what went wrong?

ChessNetwork :getin:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQsLDm9Rq9bGJP3mptWGb8jsDuA3lb-a_

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kalensc posted:

Daniel King does a 15 minutes recap of each game which is exactly that- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-0l75zT4yc

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

kalensc posted:

These are maybe slightly longer than you want, but chess24 is posting review videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y_h3eZQ-j0

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Magnus on tilt.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Do you think people should wear gloves during chess? I once had to for a photoshoot, but I am a celebrity.

rofl at Jan, this guy's a riot

That entire 90 second rant from Jan was legendary. Peter Svidler has no sense of humor.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Do you think people should wear gloves during chess? I once had to for a photoshoot, but I am a celebrity.

That entire 90 second rant from Jan was legendary. Peter Svidler has no sense of humor.
Svidler is definitely the straight man to Jan's wackiness

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Awesome ty for those video links!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I don't think this position is that bad for Magnus

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
IM Rensch from chess.com has been posting some short summary videos of the game as well.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Peter Svidler has no sense of humor.

This is the wrongest opinion i've seen so far today and i spent 15 minutes reading chess24 chat

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

I'm too much of a position dweeb to get over the e4/f5/e6 holes.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think black's position feels more natural and intuitive to play, but that doesn't mean it's better of course

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

f3 looks groty as hell, but I guess the fact that Magnus traded off his light-squared bishop means that Karjakin doesn't get squashed by Bh4-g3.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Bh4 is a good move

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

King Pawn posted:

This is the wrongest opinion i've seen so far today and i spent 15 minutes reading chess24 chat
Alright fine his "and other people" drop in on the Cruel Intentions bit was funny too.

I'm like the only person in the world watching the chess world championship for the humor.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Svidler was the funny man to Hansen, and Jan is the funny man to Svidler.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

And now he drops Buffy, I'm won over

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Jan rambling about boxing gloves, Peter mentioning the art of teleportation, and Jan's nearly-spilled coffee has skyrocketed these two near the top of my fave sports commentator teams.

Are they battling fatigue or are they always this chatty and light-hearted during penultimate championship matches?

Hahaha Cruel Intentions cast. I hope it's not just the effects of pain meds which have me falling in love with live chess.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm like the only person in the world watching the chess world championship for the humor.

Make that two :hfive:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I want to watch Peter Svidler broadcast himself playing Hearthstone.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Also Karjakin's time is again starting to run low in a sharp position.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I'd put $50 on another draw although white is running into some problems

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'd put $50 on another draw although white is running into some problems
Put your money where you mouth is: https://1xmobacl.pw/en/live/Chess/1380383-Match-za-titul-chempiona-Mira-iz-4-partiy-Tay-breyk-Bystrye-shahmaty-3-ya-partiya/

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 30, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

kalensc posted:

Jan rambling about boxing gloves, Peter mentioning the art of teleportation, and Jan's nearly-spilled coffee has skyrocketed these two near the top of my fave sports commentator teams.

Are they battling fatigue or are they always this chatty and light-hearted during penultimate championship matches?

Hahaha Cruel Intentions cast. I hope it's not just the effects of pain meds which have me falling in love with live chess.

Make that two :hfive:

They were more chatty at times earlier in the series; there's only so much analysis you can do when the board doesn't change for 30 minutes, which is easily possible in slower games.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Let's see if Karjakin can go full robotic with <2:00 again

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

I want to watch Peter Svidler broadcast himself playing Hearthstone.

He definitely at least watches Twitch streams, I don't think this is unlikely to happen. I'd subscribe.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I like the idea of this pawn sacrifice. Black's dark-squared bishop was pretty bad, and now his knight on e3 is inviolable.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

it's a draw unless there's a major blunder. 11 more. 🙃

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

it's a draw unless there's a major blunder. 11 more. 🙃

Rf8-g8-g6 d a r e t o d r e a m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Yikes Sergey...