Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I have never purchased a new vehicle before, and I am considering it. Do I bring along folks that actually know what they are doing (retired real estate agent who enjoys buying vehicles and his wife that previously worked at the dealership in management), get the Costco auto price, or both, starting from the Costco auto price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Make sure it is centered and push firmly. It is possible that your local gas station's valve is crudded up or damaged. Try another station, center it, and push firmly. If your hands are cold, wear gloves. You can search youtube for instructional videos, but in all cases you will need to center the hose valve on the tire valve stem and push firmly.

Yep turns out that's the problem. Went to a different gas station and it immediately worked. The one from the other gas station was a piece of poo poo.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I honestly just use a bicycle pump for my tires usually these days Even a crappy Walmart one is faster than one of the cheap DC compressors. Just grab one and go to town when necessary.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I carry a floor stand bicycle pump, and it has saved me once or twice. But god drat if it's a poo poo ton of air to inflate what are essentially truck/80's car tires.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Those DC inflators are usually trash. They'll work in a pinch but inflating all 4 will heat that thing up something fierce, seeing as it will take ages to do anything over 20psi.

Oh yeah, they are poo poo for doing a serious fill: if they don't actually melt, you'll die of boredom when trying to stick 20psi in 4 tyres.

But for sticking 5 psi of topup, they are fine if you get the ones that cut off at the right pressure. I usually use the time to sort out the rubbish in my boot and centre console.

Especially if the alternative is a gas station pump with a gauge that changes depending on what angle you happen to be holding it at.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Some stations now have compressors that let you set a target PSI (7-11 in particular has them). But of course you have to pay to use them.

Also if it's business hours, a lot of tire shops will check your tire pressure for free. Discount Tire/America's Tire offers this regardless of where the tires are from. NTB usually does too.

Parts Kit posted:

2001 Ford Escape:
My sis's escape has sprung a decent radiator leak 100+ miles from home. Are there any ways to temp patch it so we can get home?

I know you said you already handled it, but in the future, you can (USING A TOWEL folded over itself several times, in case it decides to try to shoot boiling coolant out) unscrew the radiator cap to the first stop. DO NOT press down on the cap, otherwise you'll overshoot it and remove it completely. Just turn it counter-clockwise less than a quarter turn. There's tabs on the radiator that prevent you from turning the cap further without pressing down on it, which is why I say don't press down, just turn. And make sure you keep your face as far away as possible, in case you do overshoot the stop and the coolant decides to spray out.

You have to be very careful doing this on a hot engine, as the sudden loss in pressure may cause the coolant to boil and violently come out around the cap. It may be better to do it with the engine running, but doing this will relieve the pressure in the cooling system (and thus, the pressure behind the leak). I've limped along for several days, several times, with a cracked radiator by doing this (and I've even had mechanics suggest it to me). It'll be quicker to boil over on a hot day (but won't show hot on the gauge), but so long as the car doesn't normally run hot you can usually get by okay for a bit like this. It may still leak a little, but not nearly as much, just make sure to pull over and stop if you see more than a tiny puff of steam here and there.

Some cars may not have the stop - I don't think mine does - but that would be cars where you add coolant to a tank instead of the radiator. If it's a vehicle like that, let the engine cool fully before opening the cap, and again, be mindful of the possibility that the coolant might suddenly boil and decide to say hello to your body. I haven't tried doing this trick on a car like that, but I think you'd have to just leave the cap off.

This is absolutely a last ditch option, and you may get 3rd degree burns (and even lose your eyesight) if you're not extremely careful; you should only really be used to get the car home or to a shop to replace the radiator/hoses/whatever, but so long as you keep an eye on the coolant level (and keep it topped off), if it's your only way to get around, well....

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 28, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Those DC inflators are usually trash. They'll work in a pinch but inflating all 4 will heat that thing up something fierce, seeing as it will take ages to do anything over 20psi.

You’re not wrong, but it’s still way better than relying on a service station’s compressor, or using a manual pump.

12 V pumps work fine for topping up tyres a few times per year and it’s nice to have in the car just in case. I’ve used mine to compensate when I travelled somewhere with ambient temperatures 40°C lower, and for the time I put on a spare and found it underinflated (those doughnuts lose air fast), for example.

Standalone units are generally better than battery/light/accessory horrors. By all mean, get something more substantial if you’re using it daily or weekly, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I like turtles posted:

I have never purchased a new vehicle before, and I am considering it. Do I bring along folks that actually know what they are doing (retired real estate agent who enjoys buying vehicles and his wife that previously worked at the dealership in management), get the Costco auto price, or both, starting from the Costco auto price?

There's a thread in A/T that covers it in a bit more detail, but if you want the lowest effort low price, Costco is hard to beat. You can do better price wise, but you need to be prepared to negotiate a bit. You can do pretty much 100% of it over email. Either way I would not walk into a dealership without either a) doing so to only look at / test drive and NOT discuss price or b) already having the negotiation completed.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yep turns out that's the problem. Went to a different gas station and it immediately worked. The one from the other gas station was a piece of poo poo.

Gas station pumps are hilariously variable in terms of how well they're kept up.

A *good* 12V inflator, like a Viair or any other pump often recommended in Jeep groups, is absolutely a good idea if you have no other means to inflate your tires.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Some stations now have compressors that let you set a target PSI (7-11 in particular has them). But of course you have to pay to use them.

Also if it's business hours, a lot of tire shops will check your tire pressure for free. Discount Tire/America's Tire offers this regardless of where the tires are from. NTB usually does too.

Wawa, at least the ones near me, have the electronic ones and they're 100% free to use.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

PabloBOOM posted:

I honestly just use a bicycle pump for my tires usually these days Even a crappy Walmart one is faster than one of the cheap DC compressors. Just grab one and go to town when necessary.

You can probably buy a cheap small mains powered air compressor for very little cash. I got a 30L 240V compressor with a tyre pump attachment and an extension lead for £45 a couple of years ago. Probably cheaper for you in the US.

Get one of those to leave in the garage/shed and a foot pump/big bike pump to leave in the car. Dont bother with a DC one - they are poo poo.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Hi friends! Can anyone recommend me a good car phone mount that isn't a CD mount or a suction cup? I have a proclip but apparently it costs a lot to put adhesive stripes that won't kick the bucket after 3 months. (it also shipped with a chipped plastic bit but let's not talk about that)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

rear end posted:

Hi friends! Can anyone recommend me a good car phone mount that isn't a CD mount or a suction cup? I have a proclip but apparently it costs a lot to put adhesive stripes that won't kick the bucket after 3 months. (it also shipped with a chipped plastic bit but let's not talk about that)

Maybe something like this? It clips into the vanes of an air vent.

(Note that I don't necessarily recommend that particular product, just the category of vent mounts. There are probably better ones if you look.)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

rear end posted:

Someone here recommended 3M Dual Lock (similar to velcro) for my dashcam (hanging from the trim above the windshield). They were right. In the NV desert the adhesive never threatened to fail. Once you remove it intentionally, it doesn't re-stick well, so place it properly the first time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dual-lock is great but also be aware that the actual teeth on it do wear out after repeated removal / reinstallation. Not a huge deal but something to know about.

I finally bit the bullet and spent $50 or so total on a Panavise vehicle-specific mount for my Jeep and a Panavise clamp mount for my phone. Sooooo much better than any windshield / dash mount I've ever had.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I have a little cubby below my single-DIN stereo, so I took the arm off of a suction cup style mount and stuck it to the side of the cubby with 3m tabs. The cradle obscures the far right end of my stereo, but there's nothing over there anyway.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

IOwnCalculus posted:

Dual-lock is great but also be aware that the actual teeth on it do wear out after repeated removal / reinstallation. Not a huge deal but something to know about.

I finally bit the bullet and spent $50 or so total on a Panavise vehicle-specific mount for my Jeep and a Panavise clamp mount for my phone. Sooooo much better than any windshield / dash mount I've ever had.

I paid $62 for my retarded vehicle-specific Proclip. It was good except when it got loose and fell off the interior trims it was attached to.

I don't want to add stress to my air vent vanes or stick dual lock to my car and phone (although I appreciate your help guys), so I looked up the Panavise custom mounts. It looks good because it screws in, instead of using an adhesive to stick to the trim pieces. But for my car I have to pry stuff away apparently, which I don't feel comfortable doing, so, poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I would make a custom one that fits in the seam between trim pieces, so the screw that attaches them together also goes through the bracket - or at least, the part of the bracket that stays in place, and you can clip another part to that. That should make for a very rigid, strong setup.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I would make a custom one that fits in the seam between trim pieces, so the screw that attaches them together also goes through the bracket - or at least, the part of the bracket that stays in place, and you can clip another part to that. That should make for a very rigid, strong setup.

For all my vehicles now I have just bought the phone+case specific brodit proclip item and then made the mounting bracket for it myself using perforated metal strip (meccano style) bent/cut/welded to shape and then bolted to an accessible bolt via an access hole in between trim pieces.
There always seems to be some accessible nuts+bolts on the steering column which you can get at via the gap that appears when you adjust the column back/forth.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Do we not have a what car should I buy thread anymore?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Pure, unadulterated reliability: Prius.

General croneyism: Civic/Accord/Fit (used)

Fun: Anything but a Nissan.

Trust me, I hate the current situation, too.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

e: I'm a dipshit, found the correct thread

M42 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 29, 2016

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
So yeah... uh... my transmission started working again. Just... randomly. I'm absolutely confused because the transmission place said it was hosed.

What the hell?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Skunkrocker posted:

So yeah... uh... my transmission started working again. Just... randomly. I'm absolutely confused because the transmission place said it was hosed.

What the hell?

You have solenoids getting clogged with debris from the clutch packs in the transmission. If you were outside chicago my shop rebuilds transmissions and the guy who does it can do your trans blindfolded. if you have any more questions you can PM me. Basically what happened it the fluid started eating at the clutch packs. Trans fluid can get almost accidic and will wear out your clutch packs. it will also mess up your torque converter and when that messes up it makes everything go bad. It can also lead to a broken flexplate or crank issues. Basically either get it rebuilt or start playing junkyard roulette. Its a time bomb right now and will choose the most inoportune time to go KABLOOOWEY

Edit: that trans place probably drained the fluid and added a synthetic which is helping it shift for now till more clutch material gets to the no no places. But from what i have read about your last few posts you will need a new torque converter wether you go junkyard or rebuild.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Enourmo posted:

Wawa, at least the ones near me, have the electronic ones and they're 100% free to use.

Sheetz has free electronic ones but they are broken like 15% of the time.

Also, is over or under inflation generally worse for the life of a tire or are they both equally bad?

My new car lists 33PSIG on the doorjam and it came from the dealership at about 40. I cut the pressure down to 35. (There was a recent 20°F swing up here too.)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

Sheetz has free electronic ones but they are broken like 15% of the time.

Also, is over or under inflation generally worse for the life of a tire or are they both equally bad?

My new car lists 33PSIG on the doorjam and it came from the dealership at about 40. I cut the pressure down to 35. (There was a recent 20°F swing up here too.)

Underinflation is somewhat worse AFAIK. Overinflation makes the tire wear in the center first and leads to a hard ride, but it will still squeeze out water and give decent (if not optimal) traction.

Underinflation leads to wear on the edges first and makes the tire more apt to trap water under it (increased hydroplaning) as well as increasing rolling resistance, which leads to worse gas mileage and higher tire temperatures which wear it out faster.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
You're supposed to inflate to the doorjam level, right? Even if the tire is rated for a far higher pressure like 50PSIG versus 33PSIG on the doorjam?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

You're supposed to inflate to the doorjam level, right? Even if the tire is rated for a far higher pressure like 50PSIG versus 33PSIG on the doorjam?

If you're running the tire size specified on the doorjam, yes. If you're running something different, you may need to tweak the pressure a little (or a lot) through trial-and-error or a chalk test.

The maximum fill pressure listed on the tire is exactly that—a maximum fill pressure.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 30, 2016

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I get the vague feeling i'm getting scammed on craigslist but I can't see the risk with my method but my wife is pretty antsy.

We've got this 1999 Dodge minivan that we've had for about a year and a half. We bought it off her grandma for a long trip with family++ that we wanted to save having to take two vehicles for.

We made the trip, and then started saving up, sold her car and bought a 2014 Honda van.

So, we need to get rid of the Caravan. There's nothing majorly wrong with it except for two things: the headliner is starting to droop and there's a knocking coming from the front right strut.
Otherwise, the body is in real good shape, everything works, it has extensive repair records. It only has 167k miles on it, so I posted it on CL Little Rock this morning for $1500.

I get a text from an Ohio number about 20 minutes after I post the ad.

code:
Hi there, i saw an ad for a  " 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan - $1500 (west little rock) " and i thought i'd inquire about it  again to confirm the authenticity of the post.
However, I don't live in the same state so is there a way we can negotiate about how I can buy the unit?
Please quote the title and price of the ad again and reply to this number (937)-265-0401 as the one i'm texting you with right now is just a work number and as well so i can know you're real.
Thanks
So I respond with the name and price and tell him I'd prefer to deal by email or text because I'm mostly deaf. I tell him the van is here ready to go in Little Rock, clean and will go to whoever shows up with cash or a cashier's check and takes it away (I hadn't researched craigslist scams at that point and didn't know about counterfeit cashier's checks.)

He responds with a request for more pictures, I send him some, and then tell him that the only issues with the vehicle are the headliner starting to droop in places and that the front right strut is clanking.

code:
Actually I would prefer that we meet and discuss it but that might not be possible.
I was asking for some more photos because first, I live in Ohio and I'm not even in town at the moment so I may not be available to make a physical inspection on the unit, but I can let my shipper do that if we can agree on a price because I want to make this a little bit of an investment to be honest.
I can invest some trust by paying you with a check and when it is cleared and you have your money, my shipper will come around to pick it up provided the condition of the unit is found to be satisfactory.
I tell him if he needs more pics, tell me of what and I'll send them.

I text him:

Price is $1500 cash to you or any representative you chose, van sold as is. Cashier check or check for the vehicle will need to be $1500 + $100 for a having to go to the bank fee. Van will sit until the check clears. When the check clears, you or your representative can take van and title.

Then he texts me back,

code:
Ok, write me a name and address for the check
I send it

code:
One last thing, it would be preferable if you could remove the ad from Craigslist for legitimacy reasons as you will be receiving payment soon.
Which seemed strange, but I agreed to do it but told him If i didn't receive the money in 7 days I'd repost the ad.

I intend to deposit the check in the bank and wait until the bank declares it cleared. I intend to inform the bank that I am waiting to hear that the check is cleared.

I'm not going to wire money to anyone for anything.

What am I missing?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I also got a text from a NYC number this afternoon asking for the same thing,

Hey, I pay now, you work with shipper to get up here.

I told him the same thing and he asked for my paypal info and when I told him I didn't have a paypal account it's been crickets ever since.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
My understanding of cashier's checks is that banks are required to make deposited funds available to you within a certain time period (24 hours or something) regardless if they are fraudulent or not (because at that point they don't know yet) and on the other end, cashier's checks are issued using the bank's money so if it turns out to be fraudulent (when your bank tries to get the money from the issuing bank) the bank will deduct the money from your account and if you've transferred goods at that point... good luck getting them back. There's a lot of vagueness about when a check "clears". So just because it's there in your account doesn't necessarily mean it's your money yet

Maybe I am missing something though, all I know is I always deal with hard cash for smaller amounts

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

I get the vague feeling i'm getting scammed on craigslist but I can't see the risk with my method but my wife is pretty antsy.

We've got this 1999 Dodge minivan that we've had for about a year and a half. We bought it off her grandma for a long trip with family++ that we wanted to save having to take two vehicles for.

We made the trip, and then started saving up, sold her car and bought a 2014 Honda van.

So, we need to get rid of the Caravan. There's nothing majorly wrong with it except for two things: the headliner is starting to droop and there's a knocking coming from the front right strut.
Otherwise, the body is in real good shape, everything works, it has extensive repair records. It only has 167k miles on it, so I posted it on CL Little Rock this morning for $1500.

I get a text from an Ohio number about 20 minutes after I post the ad.

code:
Hi there, i saw an ad for a  " 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan - $1500 (west little rock) " and i thought i'd inquire about it  again to confirm the authenticity of the post.
However, I don't live in the same state so is there a way we can negotiate about how I can buy the unit?
Please quote the title and price of the ad again and reply to this number (937)-265-0401 as the one i'm texting you with right now is just a work number and as well so i can know you're real.
Thanks
So I respond with the name and price and tell him I'd prefer to deal by email or text because I'm mostly deaf. I tell him the van is here ready to go in Little Rock, clean and will go to whoever shows up with cash or a cashier's check and takes it away (I hadn't researched craigslist scams at that point and didn't know about counterfeit cashier's checks.)

He responds with a request for more pictures, I send him some, and then tell him that the only issues with the vehicle are the headliner starting to droop in places and that the front right strut is clanking.

code:
Actually I would prefer that we meet and discuss it but that might not be possible.
I was asking for some more photos because first, I live in Ohio and I'm not even in town at the moment so I may not be available to make a physical inspection on the unit, but I can let my shipper do that if we can agree on a price because I want to make this a little bit of an investment to be honest.
I can invest some trust by paying you with a check and when it is cleared and you have your money, my shipper will come around to pick it up provided the condition of the unit is found to be satisfactory.
I tell him if he needs more pics, tell me of what and I'll send them.

I text him:

Price is $1500 cash to you or any representative you chose, van sold as is. Cashier check or check for the vehicle will need to be $1500 + $100 for a having to go to the bank fee. Van will sit until the check clears. When the check clears, you or your representative can take van and title.

Then he texts me back,

code:
Ok, write me a name and address for the check
I send it

code:
One last thing, it would be preferable if you could remove the ad from Craigslist for legitimacy reasons as you will be receiving payment soon.
Which seemed strange, but I agreed to do it but told him If i didn't receive the money in 7 days I'd repost the ad.

I intend to deposit the check in the bank and wait until the bank declares it cleared. I intend to inform the bank that I am waiting to hear that the check is cleared.

I'm not going to wire money to anyone for anything.

What am I missing?

Its a scam. A common one at that.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

My understanding of cashier's checks is that banks are required to make deposited funds available to you within a certain time period (24 hours or something) regardless if they are fraudulent or not (because at that point they don't know yet) and on the other end, cashier's checks are issued using the bank's money so if it turns out to be fraudulent (when your bank tries to get the money from the issuing bank) the bank will deduct the money from your account and if you've transferred goods at that point... good luck getting them back. There's a lot of vagueness about when a check "clears". So just because it's there in your account doesn't necessarily mean it's your money yet

Maybe I am missing something though, all I know is I always deal with hard cash for smaller amounts

Yeah, I understand the difference between cleared and available.

I had the occasion once to deposit a check for 18k and they told me 2k is available now but that remaining 16k won't be available for several more days. And it was nearly a week. I'm going to wait the week or so. I'm not going to be checking my balance online to see if the check is good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Banks have been known to say “Yeah, sure, the check’s good” only to pull a “lol, psych!” later.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Cop Porn Popper posted:

Its a scam. A common one at that.

Where's the scam, if I wait until I actually have the money before letting anyone take the vehicle? And don't send anyone money, period?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Razzled posted:

Bingo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

Where's the scam, if I wait until I actually have the money before letting anyone take the vehicle? And don't send anyone money, period?

You're not going to actually get the money, because it doesn't exist. All you're doing is going through a song and dance with a stupid criminal. This scam is so common that I can't imagine any legitimate buyer would ever try to conduct operations this way because it looks so shady.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You're not going to actually get the money, because it doesn't exist. All you're doing is going through a song and dance with a stupid criminal. This scam is so common that I can't imagine any legitimate buyer would ever try to conduct operations this way because it looks so shady.

You can't tell the bank, hey let's make double drat sure this is good?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The scam is that the check is bad, and they will drive off with the goods before that fact is revealed to you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

It is important to understand that 'cleared' does not mean 'the bank says this is legit and you have the money for sure'

Edit : the chances of this being legit is the same as that nice nigerian prince who emailed you is.

spog fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spog posted:

It is important to understand that 'cleared' does not mean 'the bank says this is legit and you have the money for sure'

Can you not wait out the period between 'clear' and 'money for sure'?