Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's almost like a few mumbled lines in interviews don't constitute a felony case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The ASA aren't a legal body, nor can they enforce anything. They're purely investigatory.

That said, people using it as another way of downplaying Sean Murray's over-active mouth is pretty loving funny. Lot of folk get so angry at the possibility of him facing criticism.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Played a bit the last 2 days of this 1.1. 32gb ram gtx 970 i7 4.2ghz. The game seems to run better on one hand but then on the other at approx 2 hours in it becomes unplayable for me. Water planets hurt the most for performance.

The world generation is improved ill grant them that but the worlds still feel samely. Everything still feels "small". I think the single biome per world is really hurting it. Also id wish theyd make gravity a meaningful system as it is competely non existent in that all worlds are effectively the same.

On the plus side i did finally see creatures that were actuallly quite large but still dorky as gently caress.

I appreciate the fact that we can build up the freighter because settling on a planet seems counter intuitive to my space nomad experience.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

The ASA aren't a legal body, nor can they enforce anything. They're purely investigatory.

That said, people using it as another way of downplaying Sean Murray's over-active mouth is pretty loving funny. Lot of folk get so angry at the possibility of him facing criticism.

Yeah, people such as:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

HoboTech posted:

I give it a 2/10, even worse than Overwatch.

:eyepop:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, people such as:

A ton of comments in that article, a lot of people in the previous thread, etc. Like, uh, "Sean Murray said nothing wrong" is a bit of a running defense here.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lurdiak posted:

It's almost like a few mumbled lines in interviews don't constitute a felony case.
Mumbled lines weren't even considered, just the handful of screenshots and two videos that were on the Steam site. Hello Games said that since the game is procedurally generated, you totally could run across the space battles, giant dinosaurs and varied, huge buildings but not everyone would. Since the ASA doesn't have time to ask all the people who ever played the game, none of whom ever saw the space wars, giant dinosaurs or huge buildings, they just decided that's reasonable and dropped it.

I thought it was a dumb complaint to begin with but their response was equally low effort, so it fits pretty well

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Driving along to Terra's Theme from FFVI is so good :swoon: It actually makes me want to stay in the car, same problem as GTAV. I kinda wish I could keep it playing while I fought.

E: poo poo wrong thread

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 1, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

A ton of comments in that article, a lot of people in the previous thread, etc. Like, uh, "Sean Murray said nothing wrong" is a bit of a running defense here.

Oh, I thought you were talking about me. I don't mean to derail too much but I've mostly been exposed to the people who want Sean Murray to go to jail for 10 000 years for misleading them about how cool his video game was going to be, so that's what I was talking about in my post. I think No Man's Sky will probably be a good game someday.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, I thought you were talking about me.

Christ man, give me some credit; I'm not that passive aggressive anymore. :v:

But yeah, it's a ton of white noise on both sides. The weirdoes screaming for his head over everything, and the fanatics painting this stuff as a stunning legal victory that nullifies all critique of the game. I just follow it for the drama, the actual game doesn't really interest me.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Zaphod42 posted:

Driving along to Terra's Theme from FFVI is so good :swoon: It actually makes me want to stay in the car, same problem as GTAV. I kinda wish I could keep it playing while I fought.
Wrong tab, but I find it fun at first then overstays its welcome. Much like NMS, FFXV frequently wants you to stop and admire poo poo when it says so and doesn't give a gently caress what your mood is or what you need to get done. Thankfully it gives you some ways around that, unlike NMS where you can't even mash past the drat cheevo breaks

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there was really only one person hardcore defending the game in the last thread, it just seemed like a lot of people because he responded to literally every critical post joking or not

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

poptart_fairy posted:

Christ man, give me some credit; I'm not that passive aggressive anymore. :v:

But yeah, it's a ton of white noise on both sides. The weirdoes screaming for his head over everything, and the fanatics painting this stuff as a stunning legal victory that nullifies all critique of the game. I just follow it for the drama, the actual game doesn't really interest me.

Yeah there's a lot of white noise on both sides. The problem is nobody's willing to even have a reasonable argument about it, you're either "no man's sky is literal hitler" or you're "sean murray did nothing wrong" and if you try to talk anything in between, you'll be ignored and treated as though you said one of the two

Earwicker posted:

there was really only one person hardcore defending the game in the last thread, it just seemed like a lot of people because he responded to literally every critical post joking or not

Case in point

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This page is dangerously heading towards a toxic derail so I'll just state this: please don't bring the drama from the previous thread into this one. Don't provoke or get provoked this easily. Talk about the game and not about how dumb people who like/dislike it are, thanks.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm not too fond of them deleting my outpost trailer park planet and replacing it with an actual desert planet.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Do hireable NPCs only appear in stations, or do they appear in planetary outposts too? Haven't seen any yet, but I'm not sure if that's luck of the draw or what.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
As someone who lived through the build for the OG Fable and had my teenage heart crushed and broken then.

NMS is just this generations Fable.

Sean Murray wishes he could bullshit as well as Peter Molyneux

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Earwicker posted:

If that's in re: me, I wasn't trying to do that, I definitely acknowledged the game's flaws.

Can't seem to find the link now but there's a post on Reddit of a guy who built a tower so high up that he could see the atmosphere from the top of it. So there seems to not be a vertical limit on buildings, and theoretically I bet you could connect a planet and its moon with a giant space elevator.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Creative mode sure makes it easy to mess with other people's planets. Press right on the warp menu to select the nearest discovered galaxy, then warp. Too far? Set a way point and make intermediate hops and you're in the Pink Floyd galaxy.

E: Even better, since a lot of planets were redone with the update there are plenty of planets ready for discovery.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 1, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This update almost had me buy back in with the Steam sale but reading this thread it still sounds like the game is broken in a million different nonsensical ways despite a cool update and that really irked me previously. At this point I'm curious if HG is even competent enough to fix the existing problems and not introduce more terrible design decisions with future large content updates.

We'll see though, I'd totally love to get into this game if things turn around but it seems it'll be awhile before that happens and I wonder if Sony is only gonna give them so much time/money to improve (say 8 months worth?).

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

just lol if your base is anything other than a giant mordite factory farm

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Sony really hasn't given them poo poo?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man, it can't be said enough that the planet generation is so much better. Not just in the geography, which is far more interesting, but it's great that they made buildings actually rare now - I've already run across a moon that I'm relatively certain had no outposts/abandoned buildings at all.

Makes me really wish I were truly playing it for the first time, because it's a lot closer to what I was expecting now.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Warping long distances to see what other people named their planets is kinda fun.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Couple questions:

- When do the automatic miners unlock?
- If I establish a home base, do I have to make a new one every time I travel to a new galaxy or is there a way to bring that base with me to save resources?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Nevermind

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

TaurusOxford posted:

- If I establish a home base, do I have to make a new one every time I travel to a new galaxy or is there a way to bring that base with me to save resources?

I remember reading that you can't take your base with you. You can dismantle your old one for resources to build at the new spot, but that's the only kind of transfering, apparently.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I really enjoyed the original release and had zero problems with it but I just tried the new 1.1 update and everything flickers like an epileptic nightmare. Apparently it has something to do with SLI?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

If you build a new base your old one is automatically dismantled and the resources you spent on it will be in a container right there in the new base. You'll have to manually rebuild all the stuff you built. When I rebuilt my constructional panel the little gek popped right up there.

Still haven't found that thing he wants me to find, but I'm not in a huge hurry. My new base planet is a bunch of craggy islands in a fairly deep ocean that's filled with all sorts of cool animals. The waters have a species of fish that congregates in huge groups, a bigger carnivorous fish that swims around solo, and a quadruped that I swear is aquatic because I only ever see it swimming around. Floating in the water and watching all of that swim around me is like diving in a coral reef. And then when I look up a bunch of tiny little jellyfish things are flitting about in the sky with some bigger fish/bird things. I love stuff like that.

The only technical problems I'm having are because I'm using a mod that forces that game to double its resolution and I only get stutter during the initial loading screen, teleporting, and entering a planet's atmosphere for the first time. It all goes away if I take that mod off but then the game doesn't look as pretty. :colbert:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Decided to give this a try again because I can't resist touching the boiling poo poo:

Base building in a game about travel with no way to return to the old system. :lol:

ProcGen 101 still procgenning everywhere.

Can't overstate how poo poo their motion blur is, goddamn.

Nothing has been done about wasting 70% of your time on ~dramatic letterbox ZOOMIN~

Having to click and hold still not changed. A stupid system and annoyingly long for it, too.

Oh and keybinds menu refused to scroll down no matter what I did.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Space stations have a tp to your base btw

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah I agree with those above that planets are a lot better now, that's the most notable improvement imo - they are more different from each other and I've found some with proper continents and oceans and others with rivers running through canyons. The wildlife seems to be more lush and the animals move around in herds etc. and buildings are very rare, on many planets totally absent. I also like that the space stations and bases are more crowded.

the addition of "creative mode" is also great because all i want to do in this game is gently caress around and explore and not have to constantly find fuel and material

hopefully in the next patch they add biomes and make the actual flight enjoyable

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why do people think Sony gave hello games some big payout r recurring deal

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

SlothBear posted:

If you build a new base your old one is automatically dismantled and the resources you spent on it will be in a container right there in the new base. You'll have to manually rebuild all the stuff you built. When I rebuilt my constructional panel the little gek popped right up there.

That's a lot nicer than I was expecting!

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Naturally Selected posted:

Base building in a game about travel with no way to return to the old system. :lol:

There are teleporters now. Your starting base module comes with one.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Is there something else to do on freighters that you don't own apart from buying them and interacting with the ship captains that dock there?

Also, base building seems fun. But is there also a practical point to it that can help you in other aspects of the game?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dehry posted:

I'm not too fond of them deleting my outpost trailer park planet and replacing it with an actual desert planet.
I was initially upset, but the system it got replaced with has a no-weather planet to gently caress around on with no pressure so that made me feel better.

My line of trailers had all really dumb names anyway

Bob Socko posted:

Do hireable NPCs only appear in stations, or do they appear in planetary outposts too? Haven't seen any yet, but I'm not sure if that's luck of the draw or what.
It scarcely matters, there's only one per kind of tech station for your base and they're basically just a fancy representation of a progress flag. Furthermore, they will ask you for materials on other planets so being stuck on yours won't help. I dunno if you can replace them later if you find a guy you like the look of better but from first glance there doesn't seem to be any reason to shop around.

John F Bennett posted:

Also, base building seems fun. But is there also a practical point to it that can help you in other aspects of the game?
Collecting and storing resources, which is the majority of the gameplay anyway, seems to be the emphasis. Theoretically if you can build a lot of silos at home you can store all that weird poo poo you never use and then trade or use it later, but I don't know how useful that is going to be in practice

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

John F Bennett posted:

Is there something else to do on freighters that you don't own apart from buying them and interacting with the ship captains that dock there?

If you save them from pirates the captain will give you stuff.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
So not only do the space stations have teleporters back to your base, but then you can use your base teleporter to go back to the space stations you've visited. I've got three on my list so far, and I don't know if it tops out.

Also remember the bug where people got pre-order ships and it hosed up the quests? Yeah, that can happen with bases too. I've built multiple hallways and rooms and am recruiting aliens and it's still telling me "hey, build a corridor!" Motherfucker I've got six of them, shut the gently caress up. If there's no way to fix it I may have to restart and that kind of makes me want to stop playing.

I also wish they gave you the formula for glass right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

How do bases work if you pick a spot on a new planet? Do you start from scratch? Disassemble the old one? I hired a Gek builder but I'm thinking I want a cool Korvax staff, I hope I can switch.

Not to mention the planet I picked mine for, while the spot looks super cool, seems to lag a lot.

On the patch as a whole, I'm surprised how much I enjoy the game now. It still needs a lot for me to say it's "good" outright to anyone asking, but I am a *giant* sucker for base building and the idea of a owning a freighter is cool, too. Hopefully we get a few more cool content patches like this and a reinspired mod community and within a year or two have something I can look at and say "It's Good!"

Not to :can: but I'm surprised that the game could have been much improved, at least in my eyes, with only one extra quarter of development. I'm not sure I would have tried as hard to refund if it launched at 1.1.

• Locked thread