Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made

cursedshitbox posted:

That gauge is "meh" because its gets the leftovers of a huge load going through a little tiny tube.

gauge is piggy backed off the ignition circuit which is obviously undersized. what you're seeing is 160A of glowplugs running however. they're on their own power feed, as is the alternator. both 4ga.

The alternator is adequate for most of everything, but not enough for that old rear end winch or those glowplugs.

These suckers idle pretty low compared to every other engine Ford put them on, and my voltmeter doesn't show 14.5 until the throttle is goosed up to 850-900rpm. I have the factory setup still (3G) but the other, older idis I had did it too.
Prime example of

clam ache posted:

Just Ford things.

Is your fast idle solenoid present and working? A trick some people do for a little more excitement (/pun) is to put it on a switch for manual high idle. You still have to "set" the throttle manually, but the solenoid will hold it there. Just be sure that you are switching the solenoid ONLY, you don't need your cold-start timing advance (oem, on same feed) for winching; at least, you shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yes. Cold timing advance and fast idle are working. 720rpm hot, 950-1000 cold.

720rpm is because of the SMF to prevent gear rollover noise.

It'll be getting a hand throttle shortly. I've no interest in manually wiring the fast idle solenoid due to plans for a PTO driven winch over the electric one.

The old 1g reports 14.4@ idle, no accessories, 14.1 loaded.

(all the old idi fuel system stuff works well aside from what was deleted in moving to the new pump/filters)

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 9, 2016

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
New starter is in!

"Cold" start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOEgnezXjFA

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
International motors always make me think of school buses. And after fixing 3 different power stroke 7.3 turbos this week i can say there beautiful and i love that noise.

clam ache fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 11, 2016

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Haha, you have the same bluetooth adapter as me. SB360, right? It works really well but when there's nothing playing I can hear a little electrical interference from it, do you get that too?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Haha, you have the same bluetooth adapter as me. SB360, right? It works really well but when there's nothing playing I can hear a little electrical interference from it, do you get that too?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302063419452?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This but modified for my uses. the install i think is on page two. somewhere around when the radio caught fire.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Huh it must use the same BT chipset cause it makes the exact same startup/connect noise as mine.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Having worked in the Bluetooth industry I can tell you that there's a very, very good chance that's it's the exact same chipset.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Likely so. It drives me batshit. I'd much rather have a status light than a loud GM bong generator.

I have to go back in there and rewire the power for it anyway.... I managed to gently caress something up lolol. I've yet to trace it but its floating itself somehow through the dome light and headlights....yet the harness has no provision for "illumination" or "power antennae". Whatever, stupid ford wiring. The rewire inches ever so higher up on my priority list every time I find another chafed falling apart section of wire.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

900mi road trip was successful.

However!
I need to find a new oil cooler, the crack is continuing to spread outside of the epoxy now, should have drilled/weld it, but time, etc. I'll buy one from a yard, rebuild and swap em out.
The seat sucks. Oh god does this seat suck...and it could use some sound deadening.

cracked Y pipe got a little more cracked, so i'll be addressing this and the cooler after we move.
Need to pull timing .5 deg. got some smoke/marbles on ~the grapevine~

Truck handled the 800lb of tires like a champ too..

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Is there an aftermarket oil cooler? Or can you rig one up?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You should just get a bunch of these new ricey shakotan oil coolers and bolt them to the outside with a nest of hoses.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/csf-boss-external-oil-cooler/

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I could design/cnc some brackets to move it externally, but the problem lies in that the rear cap houses pressure regulator stuff and the filter hangs off of it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

If it's powered off the car's electrical system, it will pick up alternator whine. You can get an audio cable with a ground loop isolator for about $10-$15 off Amazon.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

All I want for Christmas is a 6BT~

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You should just get a bunch of these new ricey shakotan oil coolers and bolt them to the outside with a nest of hoses.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/csf-boss-external-oil-cooler/

Rx7 oil cooler is 90% the same for $20 at a yard.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Yeah but then you have to clean it, or do what the kids here do and suck half a pound of rotor shrapnel through your SR20DET build while running from the cops.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

the spyder posted:

I've only ever seen one RX in the yard and it was an 8. That one surprised me.

That being said, why don't you buy a new piece (assuming they are even available anymore and not $rape) or machine one yourself? It looks like a fairly complex part, but most of the surfaces aren't critical dimensions, so I bet as long as you get the bolt pattern, hole pattern, cooler body tube mating face + seal pocket dimensions, etc right relative to each other, you can bore the passages out with a goddamn dremel and finish the outside with a chisel and a hammer if you have to.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Center chunk can be had for about 250. Caps are NLA and the ones that are go for lol if you can find em. They fatigue crack with age, or improper assembly during a rebuild. Theres 3 trucks within 100mi, I'm probably gonna try my odds this weekend if there is time. Its not exactly ideal timing. Finals coming up + move + broken bike leads to some loving awful timing.

I'm very much considering fabbing my own replacement brackets and going to a air cooler instead of the liquid/liquid. we'll have the milling machine setup in a few weeks and I'll cross that bridge then. It literally can be poo poo tier aluminum and be alright (as per the obvious). hell, I could go with a remote liquid/liquid and still be ahead of this bullshit design.

The front cap is ultramega ez mode to make.
The rear? lolol oil filter screws to it, and the pressure regulating spring/balls/bypass is all inside, its staked in too so if I try to take it apart, theres not good odds it'll crack like the front cap. If I were to make my own, the filter would just get mounted somewhere loving else. Probably in a place where I wouldnt wear a quart of oil every time I remove the fucker.

digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made
There's some coolers for sale on oilburners in the marketplace. Here's a '94 one for $50

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I should register at that forum. one more place to smear shitposts.

Scored a cooler form some creepy gently caress off craigslist. pulled it at his house after dark. came off a 90' 7.3, started self sucking and ran away windowing the *gently caress* out of the block. After pulling this cooler off a 4x4 ttb F250 + banks turbo, yeah gently caress that poo poo I don't want a Banks setup any where near my pile. Exhaust plumbing is right in the way where you'd pull the cooler.

$50 bucks worth of oil cooler. guy said all the fluids were drained. lolnope.

Fresh seals, a good heavy scrubbing in dawn + simplegrean + hotwater.

Failure of my epoxy. Still bonded to the metal, but theres a force acting on the coolers end cap. I suspect my new one will follow suit someday.

the hose isnt leaking, I just made a big loving mess as I was running outta daylight and gently caress this job.

Bonus garage. Truck won't fit in the door, but thats ok.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
This week on this crusty old italian truck: Wiring faults ahoy!

Seriously. Its rivaling a Yugo I owned.

Variable rate intermittent wipers
variable state indicators
Reverse lights are out (again).
ocasional flakery of the ignition switch.
Fuse box terminals are breaking apart and falling off inside the dash causing the indicator issue. I've yet to look into why the loving wipers are going pants over head retarded. The radio is all sorts of loving up too so... 10lb fire extinguisher on my amazon list.

I'm gonna rewire this piece of crap after the holidays now that the semester is over for a few weeks.

Rotated tires though!

Air wasnt setup yet, so used my handy-dandy snap-off handle.

Liners look fine and there is no play in the bearings. Good enough.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a beefy loving speed wrench. I love speed wrenches.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

10lb fire extinguisher on my amazon list.

I've bought a ton of extinguishers off of this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fire-Extinguisher-10Lb-ABC-Dry-Chemical-blemished-/261689144467?hash=item3cede37493:g:UlYAAOSwaNBUgeYq

They are real ones, not consumer grade poo poo and have been rebuilt by somebody who knows what they are doing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I've bought a ton of extinguishers off of this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fire-Extinguisher-10Lb-ABC-Dry-Chemical-blemished-/261689144467?hash=item3cede37493:g:UlYAAOSwaNBUgeYq

They are real ones, not consumer grade poo poo and have been rebuilt by somebody who knows what they are doing.

Thanks! Ordering a dozen of these. two for the truck and the rest for the new house.

ACC rail for the radio has a mind of its own and works with no real rhyme or reason.
I verified a ground, and there is no illumination circuit. However:
ACC variably controls the power to the radio, as do the parking lights *and* the dome lights. You can toggle radio operation by any combo of the three, but not all 3 or 1. For now, the radio is wired to the ignition, which leads me to the next party.

2 IGN fuses for this truck. Neither of which, go to the engine. I'm going to assume one of two things. A. theres a fusible link located by the socket I lost in an alternate dimension, and or B. Ford didnt put any kind of protection on the line that runs the engine stuff.

the flasher relay connectors are chowdered cause of the old box, and will slip into the fusebox chassis causing intermittent contact. Trying to push the pins out, resulted in frustration. Crimps ahoy mate!
Theres a timer for the wipers that are probably full of cold solder joints so thats something to test for next time I feel like pulling the dash apart.
Reverse lights were working after I pulled the fuse box out of its housing and hosed with the brittle connectors a while. :iiam:

Oh yeah the pinion nut backed off the rearend again. Time to put a 14bolt on the budget list.

Lastly. Ordering a new ignition switch cause its $10 and why not.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

CharlesM posted:

If it's powered off the car's electrical system, it will pick up alternator whine. You can get an audio cable with a ground loop isolator for about $10-$15 off Amazon.

Nah it's not alt whine, it's definitely coming from the adaptor itself. It makes noise in time with the LED changing color/blinking. You can't hear it with any kind of audio playing so I just live with it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
A filter capacitor across ground and 12v in might help.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yep. these are coming off. gently caress these god damned tires.

They wont balance for poo poo.
Their wet traction is fuckall
They break traction without any indication.
and well, the above.

yes its properly loving inflated. No I didnt have a spare because I'm A. A loving idiot, B. a spare of htis size is impossible to come by where I live, which is LOL because thats the whole loving reason why I wanted ex mil tires was availability.
it blew @ 70-75mph passing someone at 1am in the morning. Tow showed up at 10am. Theres ~1500lb in the box

gently caress this poo poo I'm putting 35s back on it.

also the core support is cracked loving again. I'm getting real sick of this truck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Man, you're hard on poo poo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Certified capable of loving up an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
You should give me that truck and get something more reliable.

jk, I couldn't handle it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cursedshitbox posted:

yes its properly loving inflated.

Doesn't look properly inflated to me :colbert: (sorry)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tomarse posted:

Doesn't look properly inflated to me :colbert: (sorry)

the other 3 swole up on it. :v:

Wham.

Bam.

Thank ya, man.

picked up 5 17" h2 rims and tires for $500. at least now I have a spare, and replacement tires will be easy as gently caress to find. They're 35"s. still wont fit in the loving garage afaik. I had to bore the hubs to match the fords lol 5" hub.

It drives like a new pile of poo poo truck.

ignore the missing lugs. I was waiting on ups to deliver a new set, and didnt want to dick with 32 rusty lovely old lugnuts

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is there any component in that truck you could call dainty?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
the owner. :v:.

the only fiddly/fragile piece is the injection pump. everything else is just big dumb iron.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

the only fiddly/fragile piece is the injection pump. everything else is just big dumb iron.

Isn't that just a mechanical/electric throttle rotary?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Isn't that just a mechanical/electric throttle rotary?

db2 mechanical.

correction. some tweaker just broke into it and hosed the glovebox up while the wife was out running errands.

Time to hook up a 5A 100,000V lead to the door handles.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

db2 mechanical.

correction. some tweaker just broke into it and hosed the glovebox up while the wife was out running errands.

Time to hook up a 5A 100,000V lead to the door handles.

gently caress yeah, fire em across the loving street.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
https://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/5939111790.html

Good idea? Horrible idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
what do you plan on doing with it? it appears to be rwd, and beat just as gently caress as mine is.