Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

kingcom posted:

Yeah theres lots of stuff people assume is part of the OT but really is completely separate from it. Like Sith never gets mentioned up as a thing and jedi use lightsabers because vader has one but the emperor doesnt. There are jedi and the emperor who was just something else. Also the idea of a light and dark side of the force isn't really what is talked about in Empire as its more 'the force' and the dark side. I think luke mentions the light in terms of whats stronger but yoda kinda never refers to it in those terms. Its just the force and a perversion of the force.

Also I am perpetually flabbergasted that people dont hear han solo talking about kessel runs and parsecs think hes giving a fact and not just trying to talk a mean game to get more money.

Prior to the prequels, as a kid, we always talked about Vader and the Emperor being Dark Jedi. I think that comes from Jedi Knight and Jerec and all that. It's also used in KOTOR to describe some of Malak's goons with the bandanas and hoods you run into on Tatooine and elsewhere, which I thought was kinda cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sheev's aide/buddy/whatever from the PT, Pas Ameeda (might be getting this name totally wrong, the blue guy) is the Imperial Grand Vizier in the new canon.

Not quite Chancellor, but vice prez isn't too bad.

He was also the Imperial GV or some similar highly ranked position in the old canon. Come to think of it, there were a ton of highly ranked/influential aliens in the old canon Empire, just not many in military.

I still can't get over how hilarious it is some writer felt the need to establish blacks as a separate species from a singular planet in the old canon. Did they try to do this with the Asians as well?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I still can't get over how hilarious it is some writer felt the need to establish blacks as a separate species from a singular planet in the old canon. Did they try to do this with the Asians as well?

*cough*

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, but so was the Rebellion for the first two movies, and even in the third all you've got alienwise is Ackbar and his staff, Lando's Copilot, and a reference to "Bothans" who, being just a name, aren't necessarily aliens if the three movies exist in a vacuum.

I guess the Rebellion did have a handful of women scattered around.

Do you need more than that? Ackbar and a bunch of weird aliens are the main crew of the capital fleet. A black general is leading the assault with his alien copilots. A woman is part of a landing team that features 2 aliens. A network of alien spies are responsible for the information on the attack. In the attack itself there is a black x-wing pilot. The empire is defeated with the help of an indigenous alien population. I mean I think just having Ackbar and his fleet alone is enough to signal the multiculturalism of the rebellion vs the all white men all the time nature of the Empire. Especially when we go from: multiracial republic in the prequels downfall into old white bureaucrats and nazi officers.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

The rebels were undoubtedly racists, Chewie didn't get a medal. They may have thought of themselves as progressive, but its their actions and unspoken biases that reveal their true nature.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

How the hell did Lando even get made a General like 5 minutes after he joined the Rebellion? Han using his influence to land cushy gigs for his buddies? Seems a bit irresponsible to give such an important command to a new guy purely because Solo said "He's cool. He's with me."

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Especially when he had direct links to Darth Vader.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

DurosKlav posted:

How the hell did Lando even get made a General like 5 minutes after he joined the Rebellion? Han using his influence to land cushy gigs for his buddies? Seems a bit irresponsible to give such an important command to a new guy purely because Solo said "He's cool. He's with me."

He won the rank in a game of space poker.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

DurosKlav posted:

You didn't see his maneuver at the battle of taanab?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
He obviously seduced Mon Mothma (or Dodonna)

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

drunkill posted:

He obviously seduced Mon Mothra

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Chickenwalker posted:

Prior to the prequels, as a kid, we always talked about Vader and the Emperor being Dark Jedi. I think that comes from Jedi Knight and Jerec and all that. It's also used in KOTOR to describe some of Malak's goons with the bandanas and hoods you run into on Tatooine and elsewhere, which I thought was kinda cool.

Yeah, this was a total culture shock for me when I decided to crack open a pdf of West End Game's Dark Empire supplement. It really makes you realize how little Star Wars lore used to exist when there is just "the Holocron" and it's all mysterious, it's just Jedi and Dark Jedi, the books states that there was no culture of dark side users because of how selfish the power is and how Sidious is breaking this by writing books, and all the like.

It honestly feels like you're reading something from a different franchise all together

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The rebels were undoubtedly racists, Chewie didn't get a medal. They may have thought of themselves as progressive, but its their actions and unspoken biases that reveal their true nature.

He didn't even get a goddamn hug when his heterosexual life partner died.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

of course, lol

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

TheCenturion posted:

He didn't even get a goddamn hug when his heterosexual life partner died.

Leia has always been racist about Wookiees: "Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?"

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Lando ran Cloud City, he obviously has organisational skills, and probably bought a shitload of connections and resources with him. He's more than just a pretty face.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

Lando ran Cloud City, he obviously has organisational skills, and probably bought a shitload of connections and resources with him. He's more than just a pretty face.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Why are you ragging on a guy for spending money on a high end computer to run his business?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Dave Syndrome posted:

Leia has always been racist about Wookiees: "Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?"

This makes a lot of sense, actually. She'd have been raised in Imperial culture, and she worked in the Senate with the Imperial bureaucracy, and she'd have picked elements of that up, even having old Republic sympathies.

And yeah, a good manager hires and delegates well, and Lando did try to do right by his people.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Leia did hug chewy on their way to the aztec planet

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

if the Defender is going to be similar to the game then they should be worried about the fact that they have hyperdrive.

Also I think Kallus' days are numbered :ohdear:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm hoping for a bit of a cat-and-mouse scenario, given that Thrawn obviously knows what's up, and so does Kallus. The former literally came out and said that he wants to exploit the latter, who knows he can't simply bolt without endangering the Rebels.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 4, 2016

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

My money is on a last minute save. Either that or a heroic last stand to save the Phoenix crew.

Aces High posted:

if the Defender is going to be similar to the game then they should be worried about the fact that they have hyperdrive.

I hope this means we'll see the X-Wing as a counter to them. That or the B-Wing. drat, it's going to be like a custom simulation mission from X-Wing:Alliance.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

tribbledirigible posted:

My money is on a last minute save. Either that or a heroic last stand to save the Phoenix crew.

I hope this means we'll see the X-Wing as a counter to them. That or the B-Wing. drat, it's going to be like a custom simulation mission from X-Wing:Alliance.

Well, they already showed us the prototype B-Wing last season.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Nah. They'll all be taken out by Wedge Antilles. Flying a ywing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

bunnyofdoom posted:

Nah. They'll all be taken out by Wedge Antilles. Flying a ywing.

The Ywing is the cadillac of the stars :colbert: Of course it chumps defenders

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Zebulon posted:

Well, they already showed us the prototype B-Wing last season.

Yes, but I meant seeing a squadron exiting hyperspace amd wiping the smugness off Imperial pilots' faces.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

tribbledirigible posted:

Yes, but I meant seeing a squadron exiting hyperspace amd wiping the smugness off Imperial pilots' faces.

Yeah, just saying that they left that door open. That ep ended on the Mon Calamari dude heading off to perfect it for mass production, didn't it?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Zebulon posted:

Yeah, just saying that they left that door open. That ep ended on the Mon Calamari dude heading off to perfect it for mass production, didn't it?

Yes, and Bail Organa had a factory lined up for the secret job as well

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I predict it will end in a duel with psuedosoontir in the tie/d and Wedge in something else

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bunnyofdoom posted:

I predict it will end in a duel with psuedosoontir in the tie/d and Wedge in something else

Have they already created a Soontir Fel analog? With all the other legends stuff being added, I could see almost everything is possible.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

twistedmentat posted:

Have they already created a Soontir Fel analog? With all the other legends stuff being added, I could see almost everything is possible.

Captain Moustache the interceptor pilot, from the Skystrike Academy

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so how did we go from the old canon being tossed out to everything old is new?

Reminds me of when my cousin told me that Rey could be Luke's daughter because "he had kids in the books"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aces High posted:

so how did we go from the old canon being tossed out to everything old is new?

Reminds me of when my cousin told me that Rey could be Luke's daughter because "he had kids in the books"

I got into a silly argument not too long about by someone who really believes Rey is Obi-Wan's daughter, and all I could ask "How? The time between the ANH and TFA is like 30 years, how could Obi-wan have a daughter that is like 18" and they could only quote the evidence supporting the theory, rather than addressing my question. Eventually though they said "I don't believe Rey could be likes Daughter because he's meant to have a son."

I liked Star Wars books too, a lot, hell read pretty much every one since the late 90s until Disney acquired the rights, but it's fine that it's gone.

NTRabbit posted:

Captain Moustache the interceptor pilot, from the Skystrike Academy

Ah yes forgot about him. I hope they reveal Thrawn based it on the fighters used by his own people, I love me some Clawcraft.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Good things can be kept and recycled. Bad things (EG: Vong, Darksaber, Mando Mil-Fascist Fetishism, Darth Emo Jacen, Mara Jade, etc etc) can be thrown in the trash.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The problem is that what gets turned back into canon is almost always up for grabs by who's creatively in charge. Look at how much of "Classic" DC characters came back into play the second Geoff Johns got his hands on the throttle at DC, or the huge amount of characters brought into mainstream Marvel when Bendis rose to prominence.

There's a lot of garbage in the EU, but there's also a lot of stuff that we'd disagree on being awful. I would definitely be up for Mara Jade returning, as I found her a great foil for Luke.

Similarly though, I'm also cool with remixing and repurposing ideas to streamline the universe. Much as the nostalgia speaks, I don't really need Kyle Katarn when we've got Kanaan running around doing the same basic things.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Narcissus1916 posted:

The problem is that what gets turned back into canon is almost always up for grabs by who's creatively in charge. Look at how much of "Classic" DC characters came back into play the second Geoff Johns got his hands on the throttle at DC, or the huge amount of characters brought into mainstream Marvel when Bendis rose to prominence.

That is why the Lucas Story Group exists, granted its member ship can change, but its still a multi-person body that approves all story stuff.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

"Whoa, I didn't realize that the name of the Epicanthix species was probably derived from epicanthic fold. That's… uncomfortable."
―Daniel Wallace

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is the defender the one from tie fighter or rebel assault 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Tie Fighter. The one from Rebel Assault 2 had three straight vanes and a cloaking device.

• Locked thread