Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I can understand the desire for handles. I always wanted a case with backpack-style material straps anchored to the bottom corners. That way it would be very light and strong. A steel handle seems a bit excessive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

well why not posted:

I can understand the desire for handles. I always wanted a case with backpack-style material straps anchored to the bottom corners. That way it would be very light and strong. A steel handle seems a bit excessive.

I'm not opposed to a handle but you're going from 7L to 10L just to add a handle and a pair of 92mm fans. I'm sure there's a better way to do it.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
That's kind of cute.

I don't move my computer all that much, so I've never really thought "Man I wish my case had a handle". What use cases are there where a handle is a big improvement over a case that doesn't have one? Do people travel a lot with computer towers? I thought LAN parties were dead.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
has anyone made a gamecube into a SFF pc?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

That's kind of cute.

I don't move my computer all that much, so I've never really thought "Man I wish my case had a handle". What use cases are there where a handle is a big improvement over a case that doesn't have one? Do people travel a lot with computer towers? I thought LAN parties were dead.

I can imagine having a bigass monitor and accessories at both home & work, then using a briefcase or backpack ready ITX build I could cart between the two. I did it with a MBP for a while and can see the benefits of having actual desktop parts instead. The builtin screen and keyboard are basically just backups for me.

Small size, easy carry and a bit of water resistance, it would be pretty cool.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Scott Forstall posted:

has anyone made a gamecube into a SFF pc?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1593907/gamecube-pc-mod-core-i5-dolphin-emulation

Gut a gamecube to... play gamecube games.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm not opposed to a handle but you're going from 7L to 10L just to add a handle and a pair of 92mm fans. I'm sure there's a better way to do it.

Right? At that point the M1 is only like 2.5L larger and it let's you use 3.5" storage and overclockable CPU with suitable cooler (and optical drive). But I can understand that there's really nowhere to go beyond the M1, since that case is pretty much at the limit of what you can do without resorting to a PCIE riser. After that it basically has to be like either the Silverstone RVZ02 or the Dan A4. And the A4 is so pared-down that adding the handle and the fans is pretty much the only way to make their product different somehow. Notice also that their post begins with saying that they had the idea five years ago, as if saying "we didn't straight-up copy the A4". Also the M1 is already $185, I can only imagine that adding a CNCed billet handle and two fans will push the price well past $200.

Also, my own M1 is sitting and gathering dust, waiting for the Kaby Lake launch in January. At this point I'm wondering if I should just forget Kaby Lake and go for Coffee Lake instead, meanwhile finding a mITX Z77 motherboard for my 3770k to tide me over, but I can't find anything under $200.

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 23, 2016

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

What's the smallest case that isn't garbage if I have a mini itx mobo, full size psu, and a full size video card (760)? Looking to adapt an old pc to an htpc type thing.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

VulgarandStupid posted:

The Ncase guys are floating a new concept. It's basically a Dan Case A4 with an integrated handle. Seems a bit silly to me, but the best part of their design is they're trying to source a cheaper and better engineered PCIE riser card/cable.

https://hardforum.com/threads/project-sidearmd-undecided-ncase-project.1917978/

but the dancase PCIe extension is 3M's which is known to be amazingly good??? It can even do PCIe 4.0 which is pretty crazy

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

A Proper Uppercut posted:

What's the smallest case that isn't garbage if I have a mini itx mobo, full size psu, and a full size video card (760)? Looking to adapt an old pc to an htpc type thing.

Maybe RVZ01E?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Maybe RVZ01E?

That looks pretty sweet. May give it a shot. Thanks!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

A Proper Uppercut posted:

SG13B

Malcolm XML posted:

but the dancase PCIe extension is 3M's which is known to be amazingly good??? It can even do PCIe 4.0 which is pretty crazy

It is good and expensive but the way it's used, with the double axial turns, it forces the mounting port to be a certain distance away from the case's edge to accommodate the curve. What these guys are doing is including a small PCB which will let them relocate the turn and put it in a dimension that the space isn't as important in.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Maybe RVZ01E?

Rvz01E is 14L, SG13B is 10.5L

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So I just finished my first ever SFF/ITX build. I'm pretty proud of myself, having come from a gigantic HAF 932 (I tried googling a pic showing off the size, but someone posted this and I think it fits pretty well).

The idea was that I wanted a case as small as possible, but could also be upgraded without a lot of fuss or super-specific part hunting (like the small form factor PSUs). And I needed something that could accommodate a massive graphics card like my MSI GTX 970 (which is 10.91in/277mm long). I went with the Thermaltake Core V1, though I wanted a Fractal Node 304 because it looked more sleek, wasn't covered in vents, and just a lil' shorter. After a couple of hours of researching, it didn't look like the Node would fit my card because of the size and the position of the power inputs.

The V1 and other parts came today and I was surprised how easy it all went. I was scared of SFF computers and how cramped it would be, but it was actually quite alright. Nabbing a full size modular PSU wasn't a bad idea either. I suck at cable management, but theres few cables comparatively so they're not getting in the way. With everything else installed, fitting the GPU was a little tricky but not too bad. Having to fit the power cables through a little gap was the most uneasy experience in the whole build, but the cables should be fine. I just don't like having to bend cables more than I have to. In the future, I'll probably grab a graphics card just a smidge shorter. I'm banking on graphics cards not getting more than 11 inches because this is sorta ridiculous. Other than that, case was a pleasure to work with.

Anywho, it's all said and done now. I put all the stickers on the backside because I want the case to blend into an entertainment center without "sticking out". I even ripped the Thermaltake logo that was glued onto the front, and put it in the back. I'm trying to think of a way that I can cover/tint/spraypaint the top clear panel so my flashy GPU doesn't show.It's running now, I'm surprised how quiet it is! Here's the specs. I dunno why I wrote this post, but hopefully it'll give you some insight with what fits into a TT Core V1.

Case: ThermalTake Core V1
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650W G2, Full Modular
CPU: Intel Core i5 6500
GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB
Mobo: MSI B150I Gaming Pro AC LGA 1151
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB)
SSD: That one Samsung one everyone likes, 250GB.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Hi fellow former HAF 932 user.

Dali Parton posted:

I'm trying to think of a way that I can cover/tint/spraypaint the top clear panel so my flashy GPU doesn't show.

I taped black construction paper inside of one of my cases - works well enough to block out the lights, plus it's removable. Looks a little odd since the window just has black behind it, but if you're setting it up to not be a centerpiece then it shouldn't be an issue. Could always put things on top of the case to detract from it.
This is all assuming you have the black case, if you have the white one then I don't know what to tell you.

PS: Post a pic of your build!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dali Parton posted:

So I just finished my first ever SFF/ITX build. I'm pretty proud of myself, having come from a gigantic HAF 932 (I tried googling a pic showing off the size, but someone posted this and I think it fits pretty well).

The idea was that I wanted a case as small as possible, but could also be upgraded without a lot of fuss or super-specific part hunting (like the small form factor PSUs). And I needed something that could accommodate a massive graphics card like my MSI GTX 970 (which is 10.91in/277mm long). I went with the Thermaltake Core V1, though I wanted a Fractal Node 304 because it looked more sleek, wasn't covered in vents, and just a lil' shorter. After a couple of hours of researching, it didn't look like the Node would fit my card because of the size and the position of the power inputs.

The V1 and other parts came today and I was surprised how easy it all went. I was scared of SFF computers and how cramped it would be, but it was actually quite alright. Nabbing a full size modular PSU wasn't a bad idea either. I suck at cable management, but theres few cables comparatively so they're not getting in the way. With everything else installed, fitting the GPU was a little tricky but not too bad. Having to fit the power cables through a little gap was the most uneasy experience in the whole build, but the cables should be fine. I just don't like having to bend cables more than I have to. In the future, I'll probably grab a graphics card just a smidge shorter. I'm banking on graphics cards not getting more than 11 inches because this is sorta ridiculous. Other than that, case was a pleasure to work with.

Anywho, it's all said and done now. I put all the stickers on the backside because I want the case to blend into an entertainment center without "sticking out". I even ripped the Thermaltake logo that was glued onto the front, and put it in the back. I'm trying to think of a way that I can cover/tint/spraypaint the top clear panel so my flashy GPU doesn't show.It's running now, I'm surprised how quiet it is! Here's the specs. I dunno why I wrote this post, but hopefully it'll give you some insight with what fits into a TT Core V1.

Case: ThermalTake Core V1
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650W G2, Full Modular
CPU: Intel Core i5 6500
GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB
Mobo: MSI B150I Gaming Pro AC LGA 1151
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB)
SSD: That one Samsung one everyone likes, 250GB.

can you post a picture of the front, where you've ripped the logo off? I like the look of the case but hate that logo.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I figure you guys had seen bigger and better cases so I made the conscious decision not to upload the photos hah.

Anywho, here they are:

So yeah. That logo is glued onto there but it peels right off with some consistent pressure. I have it stuck at the back now. But there is a change in the grill pattern behind it, so you know something was there if you look. But the front profile of the case looks pretty muted now, just how I wanted it.

Also with the front plate of the case removed, you can see that there's room for extra long video cards go slide into. That angled piece of plastic with the little pipe sticking out is the front end of the graphics card. Doesnt get in the way of the faceplate though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

neat! the depression is barely noticeable in black. Looks sharp!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah its not as bad as I thought. You can't really tell straight on. The front of the computer just looks like a subwoofer or some sorta oversized speaker.

Black construction paper sounds okay, I just don't like the glossy reflectiveness of the plastic window. This is me splitting hairs at this point because the rest of the case rocks. But man I really wish that window wasn't there. Im thinking of going to the local hardware store in the morning and seeing if I can get some of that metal-texture spray paint. But ugh, its gonna be hard to pull off if it looks too far off the metal black color, or if the fake-texture is too prominent.

e: ^^^ if you're on the fence about this case, id say go for it. I *still wish* I could have gone smaller, but I think at that point you're going to have to hand select every item based on dimension, which doesnt seem to be great in the way of upgradability or practicality.

buglord fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 1, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You could try using like, contact adhesive paper on each side and then poking out the holes carefully. You'd get a consistent colour that way, and you could also get one with like Spider-Man on it or something.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

SG13B

It is good and expensive but the way it's used, with the double axial turns, it forces the mounting port to be a certain distance away from the case's edge to accommodate the curve. What these guys are doing is including a small PCB which will let them relocate the turn and put it in a dimension that the space isn't as important in.

That little pcb is likely gonna gently caress up the high speed signalling unless they get a good designer

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Malcolm XML posted:

That little pcb is likely gonna gently caress up the high speed signalling unless they get a good designer
Seems quite possible, since PCIe riser cables other than the 3M one are notoriously janky. I kinda hope they do it right though because that is a cool idea. Well, the PCB riser thing to make a slightly thinner case is cool. Handles seem a bit silly to me especially on such a small case. Last time I went to a lan party I just carried my SG10 under one arm and my monitor under the other. It's way bigger but it was easy.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Col.Kiwi posted:

Seems quite possible, since PCIe riser cables other than the 3M one are notoriously janky. I kinda hope they do it right though because that is a cool idea. Well, the PCB riser thing to make a slightly thinner case is cool. Handles seem a bit silly to me especially on such a small case. Last time I went to a lan party I just carried my SG10 under one arm and my monitor under the other. It's way bigger but it was easy.

Its almost guaranteed. High speed RF signalling is a black art

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

I mean, there are a lot of other cases with PCB risers and/or shortrun PCI-E cables. I don't see how a good cable plus a very short PCB will cause a huge amount of disruption.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
mITX design is practically Raven's specialty. I'd give it a try.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Turns out I suck with using spraypaint. This clear panel is gonna be hard to do.

e: I still suck at spraypaint. Here's my really crappy paint job!

buglord fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 3, 2016

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dali Parton posted:

Turns out I suck with using spraypaint. This clear panel is gonna be hard to do.

e: I still suck at spraypaint. Here's my really crappy paint job!

What type of finish are you going for? Glossy is very hard with spray paint and if you don't want to wetsand it forever you will end up with an uneven or orange-peeled surface. If I just want a matte, durable finish what I do is "mist" the last couple coats on. Hold the can a good 2 - 3 feet away from the target and give it a quick blast of paint, just a split second. The farther the can from the target, the finer the mist. Let gravity carry the mist onto the surface. If the surface begins to look shiney you are probably putting it on a little too thick. Stop and let it dry and do it again. Do this from all angles until the whole case is coated, the surface will look very slightly "rough". It may take 3-4 coats of "mist" before the surface is even. You can do it with flat, semi-gloss, or gloss, depending on the look you are going for. The gloss still comes out matte, with a slight sheen to it, sort of like a rough factory powdercoat. It is very durable.

The key to spraypaint is patience, if you don't let each individual coat dry you will end up with a weak finish that will chip. Rustoleum should be given a longer time to dry between coats. Generic hardware store brands take less time. Ignore the instructions on the can, I let each coat dry for at least 2 days. "Mist" coats can be redone within a couple hours because they are so thin.

*edit*

Just moved my z97/i5/970 system into an Enthoo Evolv. Very nice case for the money, but large for an ITX case.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 6, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Why not Plastidip spray? You can just peel it off if you mess anything up.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah...too late now hah. I think its stuck on there for good. I'll probably do plastidip If I have the willpower to sand this all back down. Even though its a little uneven, I still like it a bit more than the window.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Is there like... still no Mini-ITX motherboard with thunderbolt?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

apparently this has some support : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5529#ov

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Question out of actual curiousness and not snark; what are you using TB for? Monitor?

I hear of it so rarely these days I'm unironically curious to learn more.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Question out of actual curiousness and not snark; what are you using TB for? Monitor?

I hear of it so rarely these days I'm unironically curious to learn more.

I have my PC in my bedroom and in my living room I have an Oculus Rift set up for roomscale. HDMI is sensitive to being extended over long distance, all the cables I'm trying are artifacting, dropping audio, not working at all, while short cables are fine.

So, Corning sells an optical Thunderbolt cable which is super thin and durable (you can tie it in a tight knot or step on it and it doesn't care). I wanted to see about sending either my graphics card DisplayPort output over that Thunderbolt cable, or failing that, using a proper Thunderbolt dock in the living room.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There are also optical HDMI cables going out to like 100 meters (only $280 at that length, 75 feet for $170) available via Monoprice if that's your fancy. Thunderbolt has the distinct advantage of being a single-cable solution for peripherals and A/V functions compared to HDMI or Displayport though, which is why I'm sitting on my LG34UM-95P to go with my Macbook Pro. Granted, in the future it's looking more like USB-3 and Thunderbolt 3 convergence is the steady state for single-cable stuff, but last I saw the long-distance cable options for USB-3 were really limited (primarily for looking at an external GPU). Heck, I don't know what kind of cabling standard for anything would be able to carry 40 Gbps over 200+ feet that doesn't involve an optical cable of some sort.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Zero VGS posted:

Why not Plastidip spray? You can just peel it off if you mess anything up.

So I went to the arts/crafts store today and bought a little sheet of matte black contact paper. I should have done this since the beginning. Way easier to do.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Finally got all the parts I wanted in here, so hopefully I won't have to open this thing back up for a while.

Custom-length PSU cables would have been nice to have, but as long as nothing catches on fire I think it'll be ok.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My computer is all properly "broken in" now and I already have the itch to go even smaller in terms of case size. The TT Core V1 has a lot of unused space if you're going full stock on CPU & GPU cooling and using just one SSD. It looks like I could go even smaller while retaining the gargantuan EVGA 1070, but id have to measure every single thing should I want to transfer everything over. Needless to say that would be the case should I ever want to upgrade something. I don't want to cut practicality for looks.

I'm glad to see SFF GPUs becoming a thing nowadays, but it still feels.....unwise to throw money at a half size card that somehow avoids performance cuts while still keeping the card cool. Looking forward to seeing what SFF GPUs look like in a few years and how they perform, because going smaller at this point all seems to depend on GPU size.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I'd like to see more cases make use of PCIe risers. The RVZ02 and A4 both do this with different goals in mind (RVZ02 wants to be thin, and the A4 wants the other two dimensions to be tiny). I have to imagine that there's room to shrink the RVZ02 even further, and possibly even include some spots for active cooling under/near the GPU; GPU plus fan is only a little bit taller than a PSU, right?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd like to see more SFF cases that only have room for short GPUs. The single fan 1060 & 1070 cards exist, there's really no need for a fullsize card in a smaller case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

well why not posted:

I'd like to see more SFF cases that only have room for short GPUs. The single fan 1060 & 1070 cards exist, there's really no need for a fullsize card in a smaller case.

There's always this. It uses a D.C. Power supply.

https://hardforum.com/threads/hutzy-xs-ultra-compact-gaming-case-4l.1894641/